HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is it like to have Sean Avery on your team?

Old
07-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

vCash: 500
What is it like to have Sean Avery on your team?

as rangers fans... what is the general thought or opinion of sean avery when he's playing on your team?

i remember darcy tucker earlier in his career with the leafs and he was awesome and fun to watch... but after a few years it got tiresome and annoying.

what is sean avery like? because apparently his second option after the rangers is toronto.

Four1 Lead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:21 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

you basicly answered your own question except we havent had sean long enough on our team to say he was annoying.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poony McBagelpoon View Post
as rangers fans... what is the general thought or opinion of sean avery when he's playing on your team?

i remember darcy tucker earlier in his career with the leafs and he was awesome and fun to watch... but after a few years it got tiresome and annoying.

what is sean avery like? because apparently his second option after the rangers is toronto.
watching sean avery is like finally waking up and realizing how much you love this sport. hes a guy who doesnt do anything particularly well, but when you add up his whole game, and his jawing ability, hes a frigging monster. LOVE the guy, wish more than anything he retires in a Rangers uniform some 10 years from now.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 01:49 AM
rickyrod

You giggle a lot every time some fan from another team says "I hate his guts and I hope he dies and would never want him on my team"...

But he hasn't been here long enough to even come close to wearing out his welcome. A few months last season, and he spent a lot of time this year out with wrist problems.

Kings fans would probably have a more rounded opinion to give.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 03:08 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
If he lands in Toronto leaf fans will love him in about 5-10 games.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 06:01 AM
eco's bones

He's a character both on and off the ice. He has a tendency to turn games into wars--something I'm not too sure the rest of his teammates always enjoy but it gets them playing harder or for their lives. The Rangers tend to win those encounters. He hits anything that moves, shoots from anywhere, constantly crashes the net and is always lipping off at someone. For his size he fights pretty well. On top of that he skates with speed, is an efficient puck handler, a good heads up player, a good pk'er. He did have some injury problems last year and he does take some inopportune penalties though he draws a lot of them as well. Locker room personality is another thing. Sean strikes me also as a player who might retire early as he seems to have other interests that may be more important to him. It would not surprise me that if he can get a 4 mil or more contract for 4-5 years that that might be it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 07:08 AM
NY Ranger86

hes the man PERIOD, brings lots of intensity... fights, talks sh^t, scores, hits...he made me laugh at numerous occations....he won NY over very quickly which is hard to do.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 07:09 AM
NY Ranger86

just look what he did to brodeur, thats sean avery.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 07:33 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
He's intense, he's a grinder, and he's damn fun to watch.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Nemchinov13

I've often caught myself feeling sorry for the fans of the opposing teams as well as thanking God for having Sean playing for us rather than against us.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 08:14 AM
schmieder44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
I've often caught myself feeling sorry for the fans of the opposing teams as well as thanking God for having Sean playing for us rather than against us.
Well said. The best analogy i can think of is: kinda like dragging your nails on a chalkboard. Painful to others around you but amusing to the person doing it.

schmieder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
He's maddening, because you see glimpses of the real skill he has, but other times he's so focused on agitating it seems like he forgets there's a hockey game on.

When he's on, he's fun to watch and brings a ton of energy, when he's off you wonder why we only have 11 forwards on his team. Also, he seems to get distracted when other teams or players don't respond to his taunts. Both the Sabres in '07 and the Pens in '08 learned that lesson and it seemed to work.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 08:20 AM
in the hall

hes a lot of fun if you're a fan

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 08:30 AM
HabsDood

He's unreal... A nuisance and a clown that makes hockey look bad at times..

The rest of the time he's ok but since that's all he can do, he's a nuisance and a clown that makes hockey look bad at times ..

HabsDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 08:40 AM
MojoJojo

I guarantee you'll have the best dressed team in the league within six months.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:17 AM
u8mylife47

When he was first traded here, I hated the move and I hated Avery. Now he's my favourite player. I really hope he stays

u8mylife47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:18 AM
SouvenirCity

He's everything you want to watch on TV, and more. Brought a grit to our team we were lacking, prior to his acquisition. Love the guy, and wherever he signs, they will too.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:20 AM
TomLaidlaw

In my opinion he is the perfect combination of agitation and skill and we are nuts for even considering letting him leave. He raises the combat level of the entire team because he brings the fight to the other team, he doesn't just sit back and react. He also has an inaccurate image around the league that he is wrapped up in himself and isn't a great team guy. I haven't seen that at all, outside of Colton Orr no other Ranger came to a teammates defense more than Avery. The guy does whatever it takes to help his team win and doesn't make any excuses for his actions. On the most basic level the guy helps the team win. The stat obsessed fan won't ever appreciate what Avery brings to a team but those who actually watch him most certainly do.

Last edited by TomLaidlaw: 07-01-2008 at 10:16 AM.
TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Jackson Ranger

Three things come to mind:

One - he is a legitimate NHL player. I read a lot of posts where people say he is only an agitator...well, he's not. He's no 40 goal scorer but he is a legit 20 goal scorer in the right circumstances. He's got more speed than I thought he would have and he loves to hit.

Two - he is a great antagonizer...just ask Marty Brodeur. This is why if he does leave, I'll be upset as a Ranger fan because he definitely was in Marty's head.

Three - you have to ask is the Sean Avery your getting the one that will be a locker room cancer or the one he has shown as a Ranger?

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Avery's 'getting in your head' thing is overrated. Yes, if an opposing player wants to take that on it may help us, but look at what happend two years in a row - Buffalo & Pittsburgh ignored him and Avery was invisible.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Avery's 'getting in your head' thing is overrated. Yes, if an opposing player wants to take that on it may help us, but look at what happend two years in a row - Buffalo & Pittsburgh ignored him and Avery was invisible.
Agreed about Buffalo but if the Rangers win the first game in Pittsburgh, it could have been a totally different series. Of course, IF is a big word here.

Also, he did do a number with Brodeur in the first series this year. I mean how many times have we seen a rule implemented in the middle of a series regarding a players actions?

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Pogo

"Like warm apple pie"

Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Agreed about Buffalo but if the Rangers win the first game in Pittsburgh, it could have been a totally different series. Of course, IF is a big word here.

Also, he did do a number with Brodeur in the first series this year. I mean how many times have we seen a rule implemented in the middle of a series regarding a players actions?
We beat a team we shouldve beaten, regardless of the Avery factor. Those other two teams were better and they didnt have to respond to Avery's antics at all. Look where it got them.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Celestial Black

A guy who shows he has a little bit more skill than just mouthing and pissing people off. The best thing however he people moaning about him when we play them, when he scores it is/was like salt in their wound.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:08 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I'm on the fence with Avery, but here is my assessment:

1) He's a great skater. Very good off the rush, but not a great stickhandler. He can beat almost any defenseman to the outside and will drive to the net.

2) He's fearless and will do anything to win. he's played hurt, fought with an injured wrist and will never back off from a challenge.

3) He has a great nose for the net and loose pucks. I think playing with a great passer and getting 18-20 mins a game, he could score 30-35 goals, if healthy

4) He will hit anybody, anywhere anytime.

5) Terrible decison maker. Tries to get to fancy with the puck sometimes and his bonehead decisions near the opponent's blue line and in his own end which always lead to turnovers. Not very responsible as a checker.

6) Is offsides at least 46457575686 times a game, and I'm being serious.

7) Is really a great guy to have on your team. The fans will love him. It's safe to say that if Avery stayed on the Rangers for at least 10 years, he would have been as popular as Adam Graves. But, Rangers fans were NEVER upset with Graves, and in under two years, some fans have soured on Avery. Including myself.

8) You will win at least one playoff round with him, and he will play like an all-star in that 1st round. The second round, well, that's another story.

IMO, he's the best agitator in the game. Better than Tucker and much, much better than Rutuu, Clarkson, Kennedy, Larose, Carcillo and Ott.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote