HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames re-sign Langkow, Conroy, Nystrom and McElhinney

Old
06-28-2008, 08:13 PM
HuskyFlames

vCash: 500
Flames roster for next season is starting to take shape. Although they won't have the money this season to make a big splash in the top 6, they are relying more on a youth movement.

Lombardi, Boyd, Moss and Nystrom will have bigger roles this year...which is a good thing. Hoping to see Prust on the 4th line as a little spark plug too. Anyone remember him making Crosby look invisble in the finals years back....

Like the Isles did the year before...they have gotten rid of much soft, dead wood. Huselius, Tanguay, Errikkson, Warrener, etc were all not critcal parts but eating up salary.

IMO, I am looking forward to the Flames this year.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 08:18 PM
John Belushi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The only place Kesler has better hands than Lombardi is in a parallel universe.

Kesler is a solid third liner. Lombardi is a good 2nd liner playing down to a checking role.

Lombardi is the John Madden to Kesler's Chris Draper.

Edit: Also, to get back on topic, Sutter once again signs a player for less than their market worth, with Nystrom signing a two year deal that will pay him $687 500 per season.

Wow, are you that delusional?

John Belushi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanos View Post
Lombardi emerged last season as the Flames' best penalty killer, and still pretty young.
Flame fans always go with Phanuef's a great PKer, Sarich-Regehr are great defenders, Kipper is unbeatable, and now Lombardi? Was the Flame's defense that great? I thought Keane was a defensive minded coach?

Last edited by Pure: 06-28-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
His mistakes aside, which were not as numerous as you may think. He plays well with Calgary, he has a role and does well with it. He is a for sure 2nd pairing defensemen with Calgary his role shutting down Thornton during the playoffs helps that case as he and Regehr did a good job there, and that hit was heard all around the hockey world.
Yea, but the flames didn't shut anyone down that series.

Dallas in comparison put the clamps on the Sharks scorers.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:06 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
Flame fans always go with Phanuef's a great PKer, Sarich-Regehr are great defenders, Kipper is unbeatable, and now Lombardi? Was the Flame's defense that great? I thought Keane was a defensive minded coach?
Individually it's true, unfortunately they haven't come together as a team much lately.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:30 PM
kolanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post

Milan Michalek didn't see his first point until the series against Dallas. Marleau after that hit pretty much dissapeared. Thornton didn't get any offense going until the 5th game, same with Cheechoo. About the only guy who really had the Flames' number was Clowe, and after that, Pavelski.

It's clear you didn't watch that series.

kolanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 01:37 AM
hplovecraft

Quote:

Brian Campbell, anyone?

hplovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
A Flames fan can't say that Lombardi has emerged as THEIR best penalty killer without a Canucks or Oilers fan jumping out to exclaim "But not as good as Stoll/Kesler!!"

HOW SAD IS THAT? Get a life guys.
I am a Flames fan... for the record... and still Kesler > Lombardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf Yaber View Post
As a Flames fan I recognize that Kesler is a better shut-down guy than Lombardi.

Not sure how we got away from the signings though. Great signings by Sutter. I was really impressed by Nystrom last year. He seemed like a catalyst on his line many times.
at least another Flames fan agrees with me LOL... I am happy with Nystrom got... but I still don't feel he is much more than a 4th line checker... maybe 3rd line if you arent trying to squeeze much offense out of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The only place Kesler has better hands than Lombardi is in a parallel universe.

Kesler is a solid third liner. Lombardi is a good 2nd liner playing down to a checking role.

Lombardi is the John Madden to Kesler's Chris Draper.

Edit: Also, to get back on topic, Sutter once again signs a player for less than their market worth, with Nystrom signing a two year deal that will pay him $687 500 per season.
this must be a parallel universe a canucks fan picking Lombardi and a flames fan picking kesler... I also dont think Nystrom got much under market value... he tops out at 750k IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF View Post
How much would Nystrom be worth normally? That doesn't seem too far off from what he's worth IMO.
I completely agree... how much is anyone willing to pay a checker/penalty killer... who is borderline 3rd line at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
Phaneuf is getting to be a much better penalty killer... he is starting to use his stick much like Lidstrom and Niedermayer... Sarich and Regehr are a good shutdown pair... but both have issues clearing the zone when the forwards cheat to get the long pass... Kipper was horrible through Oct/November... was decent through December.... good in January & the playoffs... and was very good Feb til the end of the regular season... Kipper is good to very good but he is not unbeatable... and Keenan needed to get the players attention and see how they wanted to play the game wasn't going to work (which was the Playfair system)... he let the players play their game thru october and november and when they (the players) saw their game had them sitting 13th in the west they bought more into Keenan's game which isnt offensive nor defensive... its more hard forechecking and keeping an opponents shots to the outside kind of system... but with forwards cheating and Kipper not being his usual self lots of shots even from the outside are not great

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Milan Michalek didn't see his first point until the series against Dallas. Marleau after that hit pretty much dissapeared. Thornton didn't get any offense going until the 5th game, same with Cheechoo. About the only guy who really had the Flames' number was Clowe, and after that, Pavelski.

It's clear you didn't watch that series.
Marleau scored the game winner in game 5 after that hit.

Thornton had 5 points in his first 4 games.

Perhaps you didn't watch the series. The Sharks scored more goals per game against the flames then they did during the regular season. Just because the Flames didn;t get lit up each and every game doesn't mean they were successful in shutting anyone down.

Thornton kept to 3 points in 6 games in the Dallas series is getting shutdown.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:41 PM
kolanos

Quote:
Marleau scored the game winner in game 5 after that hit.

Thornton had 5 points in his first 4 games.

Perhaps you didn't watch the series. The Sharks scored more goals per game against the flames then they did during the regular season. Just because the Flames didn;t get lit up each and every game doesn't mean they were successful in shutting anyone down.

Thornton kept to 3 points in 6 games in the Dallas series is getting shutdown.
Thornton's first four points (all assists, two secondary) were due entirely to Ryane Clowe's hot hand. Thornton had very little to do with those goals. He didn't create or score his first goal until the last minute of Game 4 (I said Game 5 earlier, I was mistaken). And was kept to a single assist after that goal. If not for Ryane Clowe, Thornton might've only had two points the entire series.

Cheechoo didn't get his first point until the third game, and didn't see his first goal until the fourth. Brian Campbell had two assists the whole series, mostly due to the Flames effectively nullifying whatever PP advantage the Sharks might have had.

kolanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Rudolf Yaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
at least another Flames fan agrees with me LOL... I am happy with Nystrom got... but I still don't feel he is much more than a 4th line checker... maybe 3rd line if you arent trying to squeeze much offense out of them
That's what I feel his role is too. Long-term, probably a 4th line energy guy. He'll probably see 3rd line minutes to see what he can do. He'll never be legitimate top 6.

Rudolf Yaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:12 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf Yaber View Post
That's what I feel his role is too. Long-term, probably a 4th line energy guy. He'll probably see 3rd line minutes to see what he can do. He'll never be legitimate top 6.
Never be a top 6 guy, will probably never be a regular 4th line guy. I think he is currently a legit 3rd liner, and will play those minutes next season.

Good player to have.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:10 AM
HuskyFlames

TSN reporting Langkow signed for 18m over 4 years.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11...topRelated_nhl

What a steal when you compare to other forward signings.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:18 AM
flames12

4.5m for langs what a steal!!!

flames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:22 AM
HOF

Good deal on the Langkow contract