HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Your opinions. Should playoffs factor into awards?

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2004, 06:14 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2273
Your opinions. Should playoffs factor into awards?

Do you think the NHL should alter its post-season award nominations to include the playoffs or do you favor the current set-up where awards are based solely on regular season performance?

Old
04-23-2004, 06:28 PM
Blatny Spears

vCash: 500
Regular season. Great players shouldn't be punished if they're on crappy teams. Players in the playoffs who want some hardware can gun for the Cup and the Conn Smythe.

Old
04-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Chaos

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
Do you think the NHL should alter its post-season award nominations to include the playoffs or do you favor the current set-up where awards are based solely on regular season performance?
2 words......Conn Smythe

Old
04-23-2004, 07:11 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatny Spears
Regular season. Great players shouldn't be punished if they're on crappy teams. Players in the playoffs who want some hardware can gun for the Cup and the Conn Smythe.
I agree. To consider the playoffs for main awards would give a strong edge for players in better teams. Not fair.

Old
04-23-2004, 09:05 PM
hockeyguy1

booerns

Old
04-23-2004, 09:15 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

While it's true that they give out the Conn Smythe for the playoffs, I believe in considering post season performance. As a case study, let's assume that Raycroft is the favourite at the end of the season. What if Ryder were to turn it on from here out and have a great couple of rounds (a lot of assuming, but we're working in a theoretical manner anyway)? If you thought it was close between them in the first place, shouldn't 15 pts in the next 20 or so games sway the balance back a bit? The Hart is obviously for the regular season only based on the existence of the Conn. The Calder, having no post season equivalent, should consider the playoffs if the rookie played a prominent role in getting his team there. The post season could be used to decide close races.

Old
04-23-2004, 09:24 PM
Schenn02

No they shouldn't because you know there are players on non playoff teams. I mean look at Nash and Kovalchuk, would it be fair to them if Iginla got the award simply because he scored some playoff goals? No. It should be the regular season when all 30 teams are competing.

Old
04-24-2004, 08:20 AM
Raimo Sillanpää

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
While it's true that they give out the Conn Smythe for the playoffs, I believe in considering post season performance. As a case study, let's assume that Raycroft is the favourite at the end of the season. What if Ryder were to turn it on from here out and have a great couple of rounds (a lot of assuming, but we're working in a theoretical manner anyway)? If you thought it was close between them in the first place, shouldn't 15 pts in the next 20 or so games sway the balance back a bit? The Hart is obviously for the regular season only based on the existence of the Conn. The Calder, having no post season equivalent, should consider the playoffs if the rookie played a prominent role in getting his team there. The post season could be used to decide close races.
Yes, the exact same example would be if Kiprusoff took Calgary to the finals, would his low number of games be as significant now?
I think it should be made more clear, like nominations and votes be made at point x before the playoffs go too far so that they dont distort the results as playoff players have 2 other trophies to go for..

Old
04-24-2004, 10:05 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Not every team makes the playoffs wih players on them who were nominated.....

Old
04-24-2004, 12:29 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

No. But IMO they should have a playoff all-star team as well as the Conn in order to recongnize the players who were exceptional at the most important part of the season.

Old
04-24-2004, 02:26 PM
musdy

it should help those players that actually made the playoffs

Old
04-24-2004, 03:35 PM
cbjosufan

Send a message via AIM to cbjosufan Send a message via MSN to cbjosufan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeafer87
No they shouldn't because you know there are players on non playoff teams. I mean look at Nash and Kovalchuk, would it be fair to them if Iginla got the award simply because he scored some playoff goals? No. It should be the regular season when all 30 teams are competing.

Exaclty what I was thinking. Although I do understand how Iginla must feel scoring more goals in the entire season and yet not really getting anything else for it...

But, you cant punish non-playoff team players either

Old
04-24-2004, 07:03 PM
detredWINgs

No. Guys like Luongo don't get the chance, yet he was most deserved of the Vezina nominees IMO this year.

Old
04-24-2004, 10:09 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo Sillanpää
Yes, the exact same example would be if Kiprusoff took Calgary to the finals, would his low number of games be as significant now?
I think it should be made more clear, like nominations and votes be made at point x before the playoffs go too far so that they dont distort the results as playoff players have 2 other trophies to go for..
Yes, I agree. That way the playoffs could only potentially affect those who were worthy in the first place. Besides the Vezina and the Calder, the Selke would be affected by this, which I think is fair. I don't think anyone should be nominated based on playoff performance, but a forward who is nominated for the Selke at the end of the season should be able to distinguish himself by playing important defense in important games.

Old
04-24-2004, 10:29 PM
sonnytheman

personally, I hate the idea of individual awards in such a team game like hockey. If they did away with them, I couldn't care less. Every player's actions is dependent on his teammates, and to only write that one player's name on the award is not right, and essentially a disservice to this team game. And I'm sure if you asked any of the players, only one award really matters, anyways.

Old
04-25-2004, 01:49 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnytheman
personally, I hate the idea of individual awards in such a team game like hockey. If they did away with them, I couldn't care less. Every player's actions is dependent on his teammates, and to only write that one player's name on the award is not right, and essentially a disservice to this team game. And I'm sure if you asked any of the players, only one award really matters, anyways.
A good point, perhaps. Unfortunately/fortunately there's tradition/history preventing that. I think it's a pretty classy way to honour the founders and all time stars of the game, but I don't think there's any need for a lot of awards. I'm just waiting to see if they add a Bobby Orr trophy. That would have to be the end of it, as there's no sense turning into the Oscars (Best key-assistant to the director's alternate grip goes to... )

Old
06-04-2004, 10:38 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2273
This question is the current poll on www.TheHockeyNews.com

Closed Thread