HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Horrible Horrible Truth.

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2004, 03:10 AM
rwilson99

vCash: 500
The Horrible Horrible Truth.

This is the horrible, horrible truth.

No matter who wins the Cup, the league has lost all credibility with the players association.

Since the 98-99 season obstruction, holding, and interference have allegedly been a focus for the league. Unfortunately only 2 teams, the Avs in 2001 and the Lightning in 2004 have proceeded to the Stanley Cup Finals without the benefit of cheating via clutching and grabbing.

Now, in the 2004 finals, two referees have essentially been suspended a game in the Stanley Cup Finals due to the complaints of an opposing team's coach, who employs a clutch and grab system, to protect undertalented teams from talented opposition.

The erosion of trust and credibility on these issues will lead to labor armegeddon.

I believe a majority of owners are losing money. I believe the study chaired by a former head of the Securities and Exchange Commission that show 270+ Million in losses annually is accurate.

I also believe that the so called crackdown on obstruction penalties and concussion prevention issues that have simultaneously been verbally promoted, yet ignored in action by the league will be cited as evidence to discount apparent owner losses.

I feel this cave on the issue of officials in game six of the SCF will give the players association a great reason to believe the owners will cave in on cost certainty. If Darryl Sutter can get the NHL to cave, why can't the NHLPA.

In one or two years the NHL will resume play without cost certainty.

The war of attrition that we have seen during the playoffs, among players, will be nothing over the next 5-10 years as we see franchises in Buffalo, Ottawa, Pittsburg, Nashville, Carolina, Edmonton, Columbus, Florida and, oh the irony, Calgary crumble under the weight of cost pressure.

Tampa Bay's main saving grace is a founder in waiting in Phil Esposito who apparently has an ownership group waiting to buy the team.

But in the end its obvious

No NHL credibility = No labor deal

Enjoy these last two games, and think about it. If you a player rep, and you had doubts about the truthfulness of league's financial information.

What would you talk about at the NHLPA meetings? Credibilty. The NHL has none.

Last edited by rwilson99: 06-05-2004 at 03:24 AM.
Old
06-05-2004, 03:24 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilson99

Now, in the 2004 finals, two referees have essentially been suspended a game in the Stanley Cup Finals due to the complaints of an opposing team's coach, who employs a clutch and grab system, to protect undertalented teams from talented opposition.

So sad but unfortunately so very true!!!

Old
06-05-2004, 04:01 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Am trying to take this post seriously, as it tries to raise some interesting points, but it reads more like a thinly veiled attempt to rip the Calgary Flames, which is odd, considering that they are potentially 60 minutes away from hoisting the Cup. (Along with defaming any other recent Cup Finalist team that doesn't deploy a style that suits the poster. "Cheating"?!?!? Please. )

One's unhappiness with refs, a perceived inordinate amounts of clutching and grabbing, and playoff results does not equate to the league "lacking credibility" along with the ever-popular predictions of CBA "Armegeddon".

That's exaggeration more than horrible truth, IMO.

Old
06-05-2004, 04:21 AM
Phanuthier*

What a joke

The only point of this post is to rile up Flames fans. How HF can let a troll post like this is beyond me.

Flames clutch and grab and thus are an embarassment to hockey? There was no clutching and grabbing back in the 80's?

Did you happen to miss Andre Roy, Cory Stillman and Ruslan Fedetenko all delivering hits from behind, to the head, and sucker punches? On the Flames side, only the Niemenen one was considered dirty.

Any informed hockey fan would know just how stupid this post is

Old
06-05-2004, 04:22 AM
BCCHL inactive

The last team to get anywhere with a true clutch and grab system was the 1996 Florida Panthers.

Long story short, this post is nothing but

Old
06-05-2004, 05:28 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
What a joke

The only point of this post is to rile up Flames fans. How HF can let a troll post like this is beyond me.

Flames clutch and grab and thus are an embarassment to hockey? There was no clutching and grabbing back in the 80's?

Did you happen to miss Andre Roy, Cory Stillman and Ruslan Fedetenko all delivering hits from behind, to the head, and sucker punches? On the Flames side, only the Niemenen one was considered dirty.

You cannot be serious?! I don't disagree that the Lightning do plenty of clutching, grabbing, etc. but to say they are in the same league as Calgary when it comes to that stuff is....well...spoken like someone with Red and Orange blinders on.

Old
06-05-2004, 06:08 AM
kolanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy
You cannot be serious?! I don't disagree that the Lightning do plenty of clutching, grabbing, etc. but to say they are in the same league as Calgary when it comes to that stuff is....well...spoken like someone with Red and Orange blinders on.
Lightning had to use the clutch and grab game more and more through the progression of this series to counteract the speed of the Flames forecheck. If they didn't, the series would likely have been over by now. It was blatantly clear in game one that the Flames forecheck would wreak havoc on the Lightning if they didn't do something -- so they went with the clutch and grab.

Hockey is a physical game as much as it is a skill game -- Lightning fans proclaim the latter is all that matters because that is their perogative, yet their team is forced to employ the former because what has worked in the East just doesn't cut the mustard in the West. In the long-run this will probably make the Lightning are more well-rounded team, they will likely make moves to bring in more muscle and physical players so they don't wear down to physical play. But right now, it's a makeshift implementation, and it's showing.

The suggestion that Suter is the reason why Fraser didn't officiate in game five is blasphemy. Campbell said he was considered a change BEFORE the Sutter press conference -- and last I checked, Tortorella and Lightning players have done their fair share of complaining throughout this series. Not a single Flames player has publicly complained about anything.

Old
06-05-2004, 06:18 AM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Game 1 was nothing but water skiing from Calgary as they were testing the limits of just how much they could get away with. Since then i have not seen much interference at all and if you watch the finals from 86 onward to about 1999 you will see far more interference.Calgary do not need to clutch and grab as they have the speed to contain Tampa. There are many intense battles but this thread is meant to rile Calgary fans and take away from what could be a great moment. Pitiful. I do hope Tampa win tonite as i'm all for game 7's.

Old
06-05-2004, 06:50 AM
kolanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisshockeyAcademy
Game 1 was nothing but water skiing from Calgary as they were testing the limits of just how much they could get away with.
I think this is true for the Lightning as well. It became abundandtly clear that Tampa could not make stupid passes up the middle or blind passes on the point against the Flames, they couldn't take the same risks they could before. It also became clear that they could not depend on their powerplay either, as the Flames all but eliminated it's role on the series -- the Lightning have had a crash course on defensive play, where before this series it was all offense, all the time.

Old
06-05-2004, 07:33 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
What a joke

Splatman....this guy's posts aren't worth answering. I've already been banned for replying to one of his foolish goat attempts. You see Tampa...this is why fans shouldn't be grouped together.

Old
06-05-2004, 08:55 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:

No matter who wins the Cup, the league has lost all credibility with the players association.

Since the 98-99 season obstruction, holding, and interference have allegedly been a focus for the league. Unfortunately only 2 teams, the Avs in 2001 and the Lightning in 2004 have proceeded to the Stanley Cup Finals without the benefit of cheating via clutching and grabbing.

The erosion of trust and credibility on these issues will lead to labor armegeddon.

I believe a majority of owners are losing money. I believe the study chaired by a former head of the Securities and Exchange Commission that show 270+ Million in losses annually is accurate.

I also believe that the so called crackdown on obstruction penalties and concussion prevention issues that have simultaneously been verbally promoted, yet ignored in action by the league will be cited as evidence to discount apparent owner losses.

I feel this cave on the issue of officials in game six of the SCF will give the players association a great reason to believe the owners will cave in on cost certainty. If Darryl Sutter can get the NHL to cave, why can't the NHLPA.

In one or two years the NHL will resume play without cost certainty.

The war of attrition that we have seen during the playoffs, among players, will be nothing over the next 5-10 years as we see franchises in Buffalo, Ottawa, Pittsburg, Nashville, Carolina, Edmonton, Columbus, Florida and, oh the irony, Calgary crumble under the weight of cost pressure.

Tampa Bay's main saving grace is a founder in waiting in Phil Esposito who apparently has an ownership group waiting to buy the team.

But in the end its obvious

No NHL credibility = No labor deal

Enjoy these last two games, and think about it. If you a player rep, and you had doubts about the truthfulness of league's financial information.

What would you talk about at the NHLPA meetings? Credibilty. The NHL has none.

They have a venting and ranting thread. Use it.

Old
06-05-2004, 09:00 AM
E = CH²

Should be renamed "The Horrible Horrible Thread"

Old
06-05-2004, 09:38 AM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
Quote:

I was taking this thread seriously up to about here.

Another Tampa fan (or non-Calgary fan) trying to find a way to sugar coat a loss.

Old
06-05-2004, 09:51 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
They have a venting and ranting thread. Use it.

agreed .

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Closed Thread