HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sundin to Montreal Offseason Rumors Part 5 (Mats is at sushi festival in Sweden)

View Poll Results: What type of Sushi is Mats Consuming?
Nigiri-sushi - Slices of fish or other items on pads of rice 20 15.75%
Maki-sushi - Rolled sushi 38 29.92%
Inari-sushi - With ingredients stuffed into a small pouch of fried bean curd (tofu) 12 9.45%
Chirashi-sushi - Fish and other items served on top of a bowl of vinegared sushi rice 14 11.02%
Sashimi - Sliced fish that is served with a bowl of regular boiled rice on the side 43 33.86%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2008, 05:16 PM
  #26
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,356
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
He said MTL is heading in another direction because they can't wait forever like Sundin. Unlike Sundin BG has a team to run and he wants atleast 1 impact player to do the job. Personally? I think Naslund is making is way to MTL.

JHabs is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:18 PM
  #27
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/254824.html

rds says no offers were made from the habs and that Barry told them they;re going in another direction.

Pascal is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:19 PM
  #28
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
He said MTL is heading in another direction because they can't wait forever like Sundin. Unlike Sundin BG has a team to run and he wants atleast 1 impact player to do the job. Personally? I think Naslund is making is way to MTL.
I sure hope not, the guy is the anti-winner.

Pascal is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:20 PM
  #29
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,442
vCash: 500
I hate the Leafs but I've always respected Sundin.

However if he signs with a non contender at the end of his career instead of signing with a Detroit or good contender, I will lose all respect for him. It would indicate he's probably a big reason why the Leafs can't seem to win. He wouldn't be looking to win, just to make more money. Regardless if he signs with Montreal or elsewhere, at least show that you're hungry to win.

What a disappointment.

Go Habs Go is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:21 PM
  #30
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
It's a "Dog eat Dog World" he's not from here. it probably doesn't matter to him. He will lose money & Yes! It's hard for organizations like Montreal to feel. But if he doesn't sign before camp, then, I believe that everything he ever said about being part of a team to be a cup winner to be complete....B.S.

I really don't like me players, that's why some people should stop knocking less talents like 27 Goal Higgens......

Player 61 is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:21 PM
  #31
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,629
vCash: 500
Who knows, if Gainey's "other direction" doesn't work out, maybe Sundin still takes a month to decide and we're left as the only team with cap space at that time.

David_99 is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:22 PM
  #32
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/254824.html

rds says no offers were made from the habs and that Barry told them they;re going in another direction.
In the game I saw in Vancouver last year Naslund was the most talented Canuck. Naslund and Rosival at reasonable prices would add to the depth immeasurably. Trade for an Ethan Moreau and rock.

toshiro is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:24 PM
  #33
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,103
vCash: 500
Mats will now call Bob. He's become dependent.

znk is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:27 PM
  #34
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Mats will now call Bob. He's become dependent.
If I was Bob, "The Marriage proposal is out" I don't call back up to Mats. Jeeze we gave him more than enough time considering the pressure...

Player 61 is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:28 PM
  #35
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/254824.html

rds says no offers were made from the habs and that Barry told them they;re going in another direction.
This makes no sense!

Canadiens didn't make an offer? They had a 2 year 15 million contract on the table! You mean to tell me Gainey just pulled that for no reason whatsoever?

Barry told them, eh? That wouldn't happen to be this confusing/misunderstood interview from TSN, now would it?! Especially considering RDS is TSN's sister station that seems a tad coincidental.

Why the hell would Bob just turn away from Sundin when the guy hasn't decided on whether he'll play, and especially when Gainey hasn't even signed a free agent?

Answer is he wouldn't. Habs are still interested in Sundin, as well as Hossa. Anything else is pure bull**** and it doesn't make one iota of sense.

Blades 0f Steel is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:28 PM
  #36
LilWinger11
 
LilWinger11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 5,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Who knows, if Gainey's "other direction" doesn't work out, maybe Sundin still takes a month to decide and we're left as the only team with cap space at that time.
I thought the same thing... maybe now Gainey will make a run at Hossa, Jagr, or whoever, and if we can get someone useful, great. If not, we plan to go into the season with the team we have, and if Sundin decides next week, in two weeks, or in August that he definitely wants to play, then maybe we open talks with him again.

LilWinger11 is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:30 PM
  #37
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
I thought the same thing... maybe now Gainey will make a run at Hossa, Jagr, or whoever, and if we can get someone useful, great. If not, we plan to go into the season with the team we have, and if Sundin decides next week, in two weeks, or in August that he definitely wants to play, then maybe we open talks with him again.
I have a feeling he's going to sign in the next few days, judging from what his agent said about "speeding things up".

Pascal is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:33 PM
  #38
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
I thought the same thing... maybe now Gainey will make a run at Hossa, Jagr, or whoever, and if we can get someone useful, great. If not, we plan to go into the season with the team we have, and if Sundin decides next week, in two weeks, or in August that he definitely wants to play, then maybe we open talks with him again.
Maybe, things could take up to a week or more, slim Free agent season, & agents & teams know it, (hence) the pre before July 1st deals...

Player 61 is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:34 PM
  #39
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I have a feeling he's going to sign in the next few days, judging from what his agent said about "speeding things up".
Of course his agent wants to speed things up. He'll make 2mil/y for the next 2 years if Sundin gets 20. That offer won't be there forever.

David_99 is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:35 PM
  #40
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,282
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Mats will now call Bob. He's become dependent.
I thought of that too. I wouldn't be surprised if Gainey is not throwing offers on purpose to get Sundin's attention.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:36 PM
  #41
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,282
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
This makes no sense!

Canadiens didn't make an offer? They had a 2 year 15 million contract on the table! You mean to tell me Gainey just pulled that for no reason whatsoever?

Barry told them, eh? That wouldn't happen to be this confusing/misunderstood interview from TSN, now would it?! Especially considering RDS is TSN's sister station that seems a tad coincidental.

Why the hell would Bob just turn away from Sundin when the guy hasn't decided on whether he'll play, and especially when Gainey hasn't even signed a free agent?

Answer is he wouldn't. Habs are still interested in Sundin, as well as Hossa. Anything else is pure bull**** and it doesn't make one iota of sense.

There was no real confirmation of the 2 year 15 million dollar deal. gainey said he wanted to see if mats wanted to play before he gave an offer, mats never decided so unless gainey changed his philosophy and i missed it, i dont believe ge gave a deal, out of all people, gainey has patience.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:40 PM
  #42
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I thought of that too. I wouldn't be surprised if Gainey is not throwing offers on purpose to get Sundin's attention.
Honestly, Bob is from the 70's, that's why they stockpile, he's really developed on draft & trading. If Vancouver really offered 10 a year for Sundin, he would be smart enough to back off.... Like he did when Pittsburgh offered more for Hossa than Montreal did...

Player 61 is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:44 PM
  #43
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
This makes no sense!

Canadiens didn't make an offer? They had a 2 year 15 million contract on the table! You mean to tell me Gainey just pulled that for no reason whatsoever?

Barry told them, eh? That wouldn't happen to be this confusing/misunderstood interview from TSN, now would it?! Especially considering RDS is TSN's sister station that seems a tad coincidental.

Why the hell would Bob just turn away from Sundin when the guy hasn't decided on whether he'll play, and especially when Gainey hasn't even signed a free agent?

Answer is he wouldn't. Habs are still interested in Sundin, as well as Hossa. Anything else is pure bull**** and it doesn't make one iota of sense.
Yep. And I can't understand the pessimistic interpretation of the Barry interview. He was obviously referring to the question about the Leafs when speaking of different direction.

If Gainey has negotiated anything over the last 10 days let's hope it's the goodwill with Sundin that results in the privilege to match the best offer.

Agnostic is online now  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:48 PM
  #44
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
There was no real confirmation of the 2 year 15 million dollar deal. gainey said he wanted to see if mats wanted to play before he gave an offer, mats never decided so unless gainey changed his philosophy and i missed it, i dont believe ge gave a deal, out of all people, gainey has patience.
So you honestly believe Gainey never talked numbers, and is now standing pat while other teams offer him contracts?

Or would you rather use common sense and actually trust our General Manager is handling the situation quite well? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

RDS is painting him like a complete vegetable, and we all know Gainey is not an idiot. Sundin is his 1st choice, and if he can get him signed, he will. In the meantime he needs to pursue Hossa.

Blades 0f Steel is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:50 PM
  #45
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,282
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
Honestly, Bob is from the 70's, that's why they stockpile, he's really developed on draft & trading. If Vancouver really offered 10 a year for Sundin, he would be smart enough to back off.... Like he did when Pittsburgh offered more for Hossa than Montreal did...
He didn't pass the offer and gainey won't pass 10 million but you'd think Sundin has who knows how much money now and a couple mil less won't kill him. He doesn't like the western travel and wants to be in the east, there's always a chance. Ranger sign rosival, so they are probably out of the running as well.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:53 PM
  #46
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,282
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
So you honestly believe Gainey never talked numbers, and is now standing pat while other teams offer him contracts?

Or would you rather use common sense and actually trust our General Manager is handling the situation quite well?

RDS is painting him like a complete vegetable, and we all know Gainey is not an idiot. Sundin is his 1st choice, and if he can get him signed, he will. In the meantime he needs to pursue Hossa.

I never said gainey is doing a bad job, im saying, its been said gainey didnt want to put an offer on the table before Sundin agreed he had an interest to play next year. I do believe he may have thrown some numbers out, but not a formal offer. I don't think he wanted to be seen as by Sundin as someone trying to buy him. Gainey will stick with a decent amount available to sundin and tell him when he's ready to talk dollars he will.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:58 PM
  #47
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
I hate the Leafs but I've always respected Sundin.

However if he signs with a non contender at the end of his career instead of signing with a Detroit or good contender, I will lose all respect for him. It would indicate he's probably a big reason why the Leafs can't seem to win. He wouldn't be looking to win, just to make more money. Regardless if he signs with Montreal or elsewhere, at least show that you're hungry to win.

What a disappointment.
That has got to be one of the most ignorant things I've read today.
The guy took a paycut to stay with the Leafs. That completely contradicts the **** you just said.

If he isn't going to Montreal so be it, but insulting him does nothing but makes you look like a moron.

Sined is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 05:59 PM
  #48
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I never said gainey is doing a bad job, im saying, its been said gainey didnt want to put an offer on the table before Sundin agreed he had an interest to play next year. I do believe he may have thrown some numbers out, but not a formal offer. I don't think he wanted to be seen as by Sundin as someone trying to buy him. Gainey will stick with a decent amount available to sundin and tell him when he's ready to talk dollars he will.
The fact remains that RDS and the OP are making Gainey look like an idiot that's passing on the Free Agent he most covets when it's not the case at all.

The Habs are not done with Sundin, nor are they headed in a different direction. They're simply going after Hossa because in the meantime, Sundin has not decided as to whether he will return or not.

We knew this in the morning. This is not news.

Blades 0f Steel is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:02 PM
  #49
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I never said gainey is doing a bad job, im saying, its been said gainey didnt want to put an offer on the table before Sundin agreed he had an interest to play next year. I do believe he may have thrown some numbers out, but not a formal offer. I don't think he wanted to be seen as by Sundin as someone trying to buy him. Gainey will stick with a decent amount available to sundin and tell him when he's ready to talk dollars he will.
Gainey doesn't spend more than a week talking to JP Barry and Sundin himself without letting them know exactly what he is prepared to do financially.

Agnostic is online now  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:02 PM
  #50
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg
 
Souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Le Creuset
Country: France
Posts: 3,484
vCash: 500
I'm not sure how this thread, which popped up like a mushroom like so many others today, didn't get merged with the Sundin thread, but I still think Montreal is very much a destination for Sundin. In fact, I still think Sundin will end up here, because I don't think the offers in front of him are from teams he's very keen on, and I also don't think Gainey's Plan B, whatever it is, is going to work out.

So, there. I said it. I still think Sundin is going to be a Hab.

Souffle is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.