HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FADT: 7/1/08 Free Agent Frenzy Day Noon EDT

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Hab-a-maniac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I really don't want Hossa for 8M a year. It's too much money.
For fewer than 5 years, I might go for that. But with the outlandish deals, he'll at least command a 6 year deal and I want no part of it. I hope these GMs realize the job security of a decade-long deal restricts them from trading them for anything of value and makes it virtually impossible for a buy-out. This isn't the NFL with its unguaranteed contracts.

Old
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
6:45pm ET - Tough-guy Georges Laraque won't be back in Pittsburgh... Minnesota has spoken to the agents for Michael Ryder and Kristian Huselius.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/journal.html

Old
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Assuming the Rangers signing Roszival have taken themselves out of the Hossa sweeps. Detroit's offer apparently was under $7 MM which he already rejected a $7 MM from Pitts. That to me leaves only Edmonton and Montreal for Hossa and the price wouldn't be significantly different form either one and one has a much higher upside

I think we really have a geat chance of signing Hossa cause if we lose Hossa the Edmonton I'm gonna have an anurism!
I wasn't close to the TV but did I hear that Hossa lives in Edmonton in the off season?

Old
znk

Is Forsberg going to play this season?

Old
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Did anyone mention Holik to the Devils... (E100)

Seems Rolston would be too much with the cap space they have.
Hey Holik. He's the guy who caused the last NHL lockout. I guess this time it'll be Campbell or Huet or Hossa.

Old
07-01-2008, 05:55 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
where is the mod this thread is already 5 pages too long

Old
07-01-2008, 05:55 PM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
hossa front runners according to TSN

1-oilers
2-rags
3-HABS
4-penguins
Just going by this list, I like our chances.

The Oilers and Rangers would be shooting themselves in the foot big time if they tried to fit Hossa under their cap situations.

Old
07-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal25m View Post
NOT WORTH SIGNING THESE UFA's.
I don't agree with that. Signing UFAs do lead to a better team, but they need to be picked carefully. Selanne and Niedermayer were UFAs and played a huge role in Anaheim's cup win. Hamrlik was a gem for us. Brett Hull and Hasek (although I can't recall if the latter was a UFA or trade) played a big role in Detroit's cup win a few years back. It does work if done properly.

Now, we could argue for days about that properly means!!

Old
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I wasn't close to the TV but did I hear that Hossa lives in Edmonton in the off season?
lol....why in the world would Hossa live in Edmonton in the off season. It's his agent that lives in Edmonton. omg I'm really cracking up right now.

Old
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
6:45pm ET - Tough-guy Georges Laraque won't be back in Pittsburgh... Minnesota has spoken to the agents for Michael Ryder and Kristian Huselius.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/journal.html
I want him here!!

Old
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Yeah.... Oooof couuuuuuurse... Let's secure Chris "the wonderful 40 goals scorer potential" Higgins before signing a real superstar like Hossa...

Wow!
Um, you know with A. Kosty we have a talent with the potential to be Hossa. Andrei is 23 and at that age Hossa also broke through, if not a little sooner. And securing him for 3.25 over the next 3 years will make us the envy of the league if Andrei becomes a solid 35-40 goal man. I'm just not sure if our depth at centre can bring that out of him. I like Pleks but he's more of a sniper up the middle than a playmaker.

Old
07-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
hossa front runners according to TSN

1-oilers
2-rags
3-HABS
4-penguins
oilers must plan on tradin something else. dont they only have 5 million in cap left?

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 07-01-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
For fewer than 5 years, I might go for that. But with the outlandish deals, he'll at least command a 6 year deal and I want no part of it. I hope these GMs realize the job security of a decade-long deal restricts them from trading them for anything of value and makes it virtually impossible for a buy-out. This isn't the NFL with its unguaranteed contracts.
8mm would be okay, but it would be the limit I think. Folks are spending like the cap will keep rising. 4 or 5 years max for Hossa, but I doubt it gets the deal since supposedly the oiler are offering around 8 to 9mm

Old
shutehinside

Quote:
No, his agent Rich Winter lives in Edmonton. Gos knows why, there's nothing there!

Old
07-01-2008, 05:58 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I really don't want Hossa for 8M a year. It's too much money.
I got absolutely no problem with 8mil... but more than that (which he shoud get) is starting to be too much...

My favorite UFAs are still available so far, I like it... Hossa, Rolston, Jagr, Demitra and Sundin (I still believe we are in the hunt, Bob is just trying to get another game-breaker and will resume with Sundin if he fails... he must know Sundin won't decide soon (he talked with him during 10 days))...

Old
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
I don't agree with that. Signing UFAs do lead to a better team, but they need to be picked carefully. Selanne and Niedermayer were UFAs and played a huge role in Anaheim's cup win. Hamrlik was a gem for us. Brett Hull and Hasek (although I can't recall if the latter was a UFA or trade) played a big role in Detroit's cup win a few years back. It does work if done properly.

Now, we could argue for days about that properly means!!
For every good UFA signings... how many flops can you name? I understand your point but that doesn't guarantee a thing... And most of the time, you have to overpay for the player and then get cash strapped by their contracts when they don't deliver...

Old
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
Just going by this list, I like our chances.

The Oilers and Rangers would be shooting themselves in the foot big time if they tried to fit Hossa under their cap situations.
I like that we're 3rd but like Ricky Bobby says, "If you're not first, you're last." Now I gotta run for a sec. And when I return, I hope to see some nice developments. Here's some good news from the day: Cole is out of the East (though we visit Edm. next season) and so is Huet but Theodore is back (hahah! You may have Ovy but even with hat tricks we'll beat the Caps 8-4 every time out with our knowledge of Jose "Contract Year" Theodore's holes).

Old
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
man this guy on ckac has the biggest hard on for marleau..on tqs on ckac all he wants is marleau. he said marleau over sundin anyday.

Old
07-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I got absolutely no problem with 8mil... but more than that (which he shoud get) is starting to be too much...

My favorite UFAs are still available so far, I like it... Hossa, Rolston, Jagr, Demitra and Sundin (I still believe we are in the hunt, Bob is just trying to get another game-breaker and will resume with Sundin if he fails... he must know Sundin won't decide soon (he talked with him during 10 days))...
Rolston = Jersey

Old
Artyukhin*

accordin to nhlcap.com who run up to the moment cap info

EDMONTON OILERS ------------remaining cap 4,365,780

Montreal-------------------------------------- 10,881,366

ny rags 14,337,407

pitts pens 18,679,933

Old
montreal25m

ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Yeah.... Oooof couuuuuuurse... Let's secure Chris "the wonderful 40 goals scorer potential" Higgins before signing a real superstar like Hossa...

Wow!
yeah but higgins is not going to cost you 8-9 million a year! You can sign Higgins 5 yrs for around 18 million and have a solid guy who can play on your second line for years to come. You sign Hossa to this HUGE contract, you will see how difficult it will be to keep our young and upcoming stars.

What has Hossa ever done to deserve this money. When I think of superstars, I think of Crosby, Malkin, Sakic, Lemieux etc. HOSSA is not able to carry a team like them!

Old
07-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

Rolston is signed by the Devils, sorry...

Old
07-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
8mm would be okay, but it would be the limit I think. Folks are spending like the cap will keep rising. 4 or 5 years max for Hossa, but I doubt it gets the deal since supposedly the oiler are offering around 8 to 9mm
You can blame greedy players and agents all ya want but the bottom line is, the owners sign the cheques. The next time they cry poor, I'll have way less sympathy. They were probably downplaying their losses back in 04 anyway. How can we believe a league and ownership group that's riddled with shady small-time tycoons like Samueli, Del Biaggio, etc. I bet we'll find out Koules owes a bunch of money in taxes or something. Even the great beacon of hockey in the Sun belt, McNall, was a crook. Gary et. al sure know how to pick 'em.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:01 PM
giovanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal25m View Post
UFA's are over priced! BG should just concentrate on keeping his own and we will have a great team for years to come. I want to see Pleks, Komi, Higgins signed to 5 yr deals right away! We have enough talent in our system to be a very good team and make a necessary trade or two at the deadline or in the offseason to put us over the hump. NOT WORTH SIGNING THESE UFA's.
I agree. I do not want to sign Hossa at 10 million and next year we lose Higgins, Komi, and Plekanec. It does not make sence.

wow Campbell at 7.1 million a season. They are five million over the cap as of right now with 12 million on two goalies. I think i could have done a better job than that. They have a young team in Toews, Kane, Seabrooke, Keith, Sharp. You do not over pay for UFAs, you just add cheaper players to compliment your core and let the yonger guys devolpe into the stars.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:01 PM
shutehinside

Can We Sign Hossa Already!!!!
I Want Hossa, I Want Hossa, I Want Hossa!!!! It's Driving Me Crazy!!!!!

Closed Thread