HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Sundin to Montreal Offseason Rumors Part 5 (Mats is at sushi festival in Sweden)

View Poll Results: What type of Sushi is Mats Consuming?
Nigiri-sushi - Slices of fish or other items on pads of rice 20 15.75%
Maki-sushi - Rolled sushi 38 29.92%
Inari-sushi - With ingredients stuffed into a small pouch of fried bean curd (tofu) 12 9.45%
Chirashi-sushi - Fish and other items served on top of a bowl of vinegared sushi rice 14 11.02%
Sashimi - Sliced fish that is served with a bowl of regular boiled rice on the side 43 33.86%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2008, 06:07 PM
JrHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
The fact remains that RDS and the OP are making Gainey look like an idiot that's passing on the Free Agent he most covets when it's not the case at all.

The Habs are not done with Sundin, nor are they headed in a different direction. They're simply going after Hossa because in the meantime, Sundin has not decided as to whether he will return or not.

We knew this in the morning. This is not news.
The way barry finished that whole"different direction" comment implied that Montreal was still there and "who knows".

Too much being read into one sentence

Old
07-01-2008, 06:07 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
The fact remains that RDS and the OP are making Gainey look like an idiot that's passing on the Free Agent he most covets when it's not the case at all.

The Habs are not done with Sundin, nor are they headed in a different direction. They're simply going after Hossa because in the meantime, Sundin has not decided as to whether he will return or not.

I didn't disagree with that, this pretty much starts from me saying gainey didn't try to play the offer game on Sundin but rather is offering sundin a chance to win a cup and a good financial deal in the process and is letting sundin decide, i doubt he's thrown money deals because there is no point if canucks offered 10 mil.

Also, i'm not listening to RDS, i only watch the game on RDS, before the game, after the game, they annoy me. These dumb shows and horrible analysts they have, don't listen to them, they can talk **** all they want but the more they talk ****, the less I care.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Schooner Guy

This thread title is a load of crap. Habs are not "done with Sundin". They're just exploring other options (i.e.- Hossa) while Sundin sits on the fence.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:21 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Guess there is an offer, or is it a rumour, who knows now.

7:14pm ET - Habs still in mix for Sundin, with a 2-year offer, but also going after Hossa. Likely come down to who says 'yes' first (if one does)... Blue Jackets talking to Redden.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/journal.html

Old
07-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I'm not sure how this thread, which popped up like a mushroom like so many others today, didn't get merged with the Sundin thread, but I still think Montreal is very much a destination for Sundin. In fact, I still think Sundin will end up here, because I don't think the offers in front of him are from teams he's very keen on, and I also don't think Gainey's Plan B, whatever it is, is going to work out.

So, there. I said it. I still think Sundin is going to be a Hab.
If Sundin were due to be a hab it would have be done before July 1st. I'm pretty sure now that Sundin will never be a hab.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:23 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
God some people here are such alarmists.

Dreger just said on TSN that there were 4 teams pushing hard for Sundin: Vancouver, New York Rangers, Montreal and Toronto.

The general impression I get is that our focus has shifted to Hossa for now but we're definitely not done with Sundin.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:24 PM
bib
#believe

Is it just me or does this thread need to be closed?

Old
07-01-2008, 06:25 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
Is it just me or does this thread need to be closed?
Agree.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:26 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate View Post
Agree.
Agree.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:27 PM
m00ks

Something got lost in translation. There's absolutely no reason for BG to tell Sundin that he is not interested anymore. If anything he told him that the Habs are still interested but will be chasing after other UFAs so the window might close eventually.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I'm all for going after a star forward, but at 10 mil, no thanks to Sundin. If he signs in Vcr he is not serious about winning. Hossa it seems will require 9-9.5 mil for 5-6-7 years...that would complicate keeping all the Habs young guys.

At this point I'd offer Jagr 8 mil for 1 year plus a 1 year club option. He'd thrive in tjhe Habs system.

Other guys i'd like for 1-2 years even if we have to overpay...Selanne or Naslund

Old
07-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Ross MacLochness

edit- wrong thread

Old
07-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'm all for going after a star forward, but at 10 mil, no thanks to Sundin. If he signs in Vcr he is not serious about winning. Hossa it seems will require 9-9.5 mil for 5-6-7 years...that would complicate keeping all the Habs young guys.

At this point I'd offer Jagr 8 mil for 1 year plus a 1 year club option. He'd thrive in tjhe Habs system.

Other guys i'd like for 1-2 years even if we have to overpay...Selanne or Naslund

I disagree. If you're going to overpay, do it over a short period of time and get exactl what you want. Sundin fits that bill. I also think 8 million over two years gets it done. The addition of Sundin fills out our lineup perfectly.

Either way, I think we're getting Sundin or Hossa. Just my opinion. I think it will be Sundin. I see NYR signing Orpik, Oilers signing Hossa, and Sundin going to Montreal

Old
07-01-2008, 06:47 PM
onice

Quote:

I don't think so. Gainey asked Toronto to talk to Sundin so he could get a handle on the free agent sweepstakes. He got his answer. Sundin isn't interested. Gainey has decided to move on. Let everyone else wheel and deal with him. I think Gainey's gravy train has left the Sundin terminal.

Nothing else makes sense. If Gainey was willing to wait for Sundin after July 1st he wouldn't negociate with Toronto for a 9 day grace peroid.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Le depisteur

7:41pm ET - Oilers GM Kevin Lowe about to talk to the media... Habs itching to hear from Hossa and Sundin...

Old
07-01-2008, 06:49 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I don't think so. Gainey asked Toronto to talk to Sundin so he could get a handle on the free agent sweepstakes. He got his answer. Sundin isn't interested. Gainey has decided to move on. Let everyone else wheel and deal with him. I think Gainey's gravy train has left the Sundin terminal.

Nothing else makes sense. If Gainey was willing to wait for Sundin after July 1st he wouldn't negociate with Toronto for a 9 day grace peroid.
If he was willing to negociate a 9 day grace period I dont think they'd throw it all down the drain just like that.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:53 PM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

Dreger just said on TSN that there were 4 teams pushing hard for Sundin: Vancouver, New York Rangers, Montreal and Toronto.

The general impression I get is that our focus has shifted to Hossa for now but we're definitely not done with Sundin.
I still don't get the 3 teams offering him a deal other than us. Vancouver isn't even close to becoming a contender, what would Sundin do for them for a whole 2 years? (Are they driving the price up on Gainey? Mats said he wanted to play in the East so this really doesn't make any sense.) New York has a stockpile of centers... I'm pretty sure they need some defense and maybe a winger if/when Jagr goes. Toronto just blew up half of their team - why the heck would they want Sundin, and why would Mats want to play there?

None of it makes sense to me really... I don't get it.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:54 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

Sundin saying "I appreciate your offer Bob but I'll need to take a couple of weeks to consider my options" and Gainey saying "Thanks for your time, you know where we stand, we'll be in touch" makes no sense?

Old
07-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
I still don't get the 3 teams offering him a deal other than us. Vancouver isn't even close to becoming a contender, what would Sundin do for them for a whole 2 years? (Are they driving the price up on Gainey? Mats said he wanted to play in the East so this really doesn't make any sense.) New York has a stockpile of centers... I'm pretty sure they need some defense and maybe a winger if/when Jagr goes. Toronto just blew up half of their team - why the heck would they want Sundin, and why would Mats want to play there?

None of it makes sense to me really... I don't get it.
Basically we get Sundin

Old
07-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I'm not sure how this thread, which popped up like a mushroom like so many others today, didn't get merged with the Sundin thread, but I still think Montreal is very much a destination for Sundin. In fact, I still think Sundin will end up here, because I don't think the offers in front of him are from teams he's very keen on, and I also don't think Gainey's Plan B, whatever it is, is going to work out.

So, there. I said it. I still think Sundin is going to be a Hab.
I still think it's either Montréal or retirement.

Old
07-01-2008, 07:00 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
If he was willing to negociate a 9 day grace period I dont think they'd throw it all down the drain just like that.
No. that grace period was to get an early answer on the Sundin situation. He got his answer. Sundin was playing coy. Now, Vancouver wants to pay 10 mil/yr. Gainey has to be nuts to play in that game. Let Sundin go. Next on the list. And that's exactly what I think he's doing. He's moving on.

I'm sure if Sundin comes back pleading to play for the Habs (we all know how realistic that is) and Gainey hasn't signed anyone he'll listen but I think Gainey has moved on.

Old
07-01-2008, 07:04 PM
onice

Quote:
Sundin saying "I appreciate your offer Bob but I'll need to take a couple of weeks to consider my options" and Gainey saying "Thanks for your time, you know where we stand, we'll be in touch" makes no sense?
Yeah because Gainey asked for a 9 day head start so he could get his priorities set. He isn't gonna wait around and lose on plan b or c and then have Sundin tell him well I'm going to N.Y. or Vancouver.

How many Brieres or Lapointes do you need before you learn your lesson?

Old
07-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

The Rangers signed Redden and Rozsival, so they have no money for Sundin, not to mention having Gomez, Drury, and Dubinsky as their centers.

Vancouver is going nowhere and has few supporting players to offer Sundin. Is he such a masochist that he would endure 2 more non-playoff seasons?

I would imagine that Sundin bears ill will toward the Toronto management for making him walk the plank.

So what's left? The Habs or retirement.

Old
07-01-2008, 07:07 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Yeah because Gainey asked for a 9 day head start so he could get his priorities set. He isn't gonna wait around and lose on plan b or c and then have Sundin tell him well I'm going to N.Y. or Vancouver.

How many Brieres or Lapointes do you need before you learn your lesson?
You're basically agreeing with what I just said, although I don't know why you're so convinced Sundin made up his mind already. I think Sundin wants more time, and Gainey's fine with it, but he's obviously still going to pursue a guy like Hossa if he's available. Sounds simple enough to me.

Old
07-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Blades 0f Steel

It's pretty clear some people here are really lacking in the common sense dept.

But that's OK. We can work around it.

Closed Thread