HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Sundin to Montreal Offseason Rumors Part 5 (Mats is at sushi festival in Sweden)

View Poll Results: What type of Sushi is Mats Consuming?
Nigiri-sushi - Slices of fish or other items on pads of rice 20 15.75%
Maki-sushi - Rolled sushi 38 29.92%
Inari-sushi - With ingredients stuffed into a small pouch of fried bean curd (tofu) 12 9.45%
Chirashi-sushi - Fish and other items served on top of a bowl of vinegared sushi rice 14 11.02%
Sashimi - Sliced fish that is served with a bowl of regular boiled rice on the side 43 33.86%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2008, 06:07 PM
  #51
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
The fact remains that RDS and the OP are making Gainey look like an idiot that's passing on the Free Agent he most covets when it's not the case at all.

The Habs are not done with Sundin, nor are they headed in a different direction. They're simply going after Hossa because in the meantime, Sundin has not decided as to whether he will return or not.

We knew this in the morning. This is not news.
The way barry finished that whole"different direction" comment implied that Montreal was still there and "who knows".

Too much being read into one sentence

JrHockeyFan is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:07 PM
  #52
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,777
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
The fact remains that RDS and the OP are making Gainey look like an idiot that's passing on the Free Agent he most covets when it's not the case at all.

The Habs are not done with Sundin, nor are they headed in a different direction. They're simply going after Hossa because in the meantime, Sundin has not decided as to whether he will return or not.

We knew this in the morning. This is not news.
I didn't disagree with that, this pretty much starts from me saying gainey didn't try to play the offer game on Sundin but rather is offering sundin a chance to win a cup and a good financial deal in the process and is letting sundin decide, i doubt he's thrown money deals because there is no point if canucks offered 10 mil.

Also, i'm not listening to RDS, i only watch the game on RDS, before the game, after the game, they annoy me. These dumb shows and horrible analysts they have, don't listen to them, they can talk **** all they want but the more they talk ****, the less I care.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:18 PM
  #53
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,658
vCash: 500
This thread title is a load of crap. Habs are not "done with Sundin". They're just exploring other options (i.e.- Hossa) while Sundin sits on the fence.

Schooner Guy is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:21 PM
  #54
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,777
vCash: 50
Guess there is an offer, or is it a rumour, who knows now.

7:14pm ET - Habs still in mix for Sundin, with a 2-year offer, but also going after Hossa. Likely come down to who says 'yes' first (if one does)... Blue Jackets talking to Redden.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/journal.html

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:23 PM
  #55
Captain Saku
Registered User
 
Captain Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I'm not sure how this thread, which popped up like a mushroom like so many others today, didn't get merged with the Sundin thread, but I still think Montreal is very much a destination for Sundin. In fact, I still think Sundin will end up here, because I don't think the offers in front of him are from teams he's very keen on, and I also don't think Gainey's Plan B, whatever it is, is going to work out.

So, there. I said it. I still think Sundin is going to be a Hab.
If Sundin were due to be a hab it would have be done before July 1st. I'm pretty sure now that Sundin will never be a hab.

Captain Saku is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:23 PM
  #56
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,935
vCash: 500
Awards:
God some people here are such alarmists.

Dreger just said on TSN that there were 4 teams pushing hard for Sundin: Vancouver, New York Rangers, Montreal and Toronto.

The general impression I get is that our focus has shifted to Hossa for now but we're definitely not done with Sundin.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:24 PM
  #57
bib
#believe
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
Is it just me or does this thread need to be closed?

bib is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:25 PM
  #58
HabsoluteFate
Registered User
 
HabsoluteFate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
Is it just me or does this thread need to be closed?
Agree.

HabsoluteFate is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:26 PM
  #59
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,354
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate View Post
Agree.
Agree.

JHabs is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:27 PM
  #60
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,887
vCash: 500
Something got lost in translation. There's absolutely no reason for BG to tell Sundin that he is not interested anymore. If anything he told him that the Habs are still interested but will be chasing after other UFAs so the window might close eventually.

m00ks is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:31 PM
  #61
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,379
vCash: 500
I'm all for going after a star forward, but at 10 mil, no thanks to Sundin. If he signs in Vcr he is not serious about winning. Hossa it seems will require 9-9.5 mil for 5-6-7 years...that would complicate keeping all the Habs young guys.

At this point I'd offer Jagr 8 mil for 1 year plus a 1 year club option. He'd thrive in tjhe Habs system.

Other guys i'd like for 1-2 years even if we have to overpay...Selanne or Naslund

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:37 PM
  #62
Ross MacLochness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,774
vCash: 500
edit- wrong thread

Ross MacLochness is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:43 PM
  #63
Stan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'm all for going after a star forward, but at 10 mil, no thanks to Sundin. If he signs in Vcr he is not serious about winning. Hossa it seems will require 9-9.5 mil for 5-6-7 years...that would complicate keeping all the Habs young guys.

At this point I'd offer Jagr 8 mil for 1 year plus a 1 year club option. He'd thrive in tjhe Habs system.

Other guys i'd like for 1-2 years even if we have to overpay...Selanne or Naslund

I disagree. If you're going to overpay, do it over a short period of time and get exactl what you want. Sundin fits that bill. I also think 8 million over two years gets it done. The addition of Sundin fills out our lineup perfectly.

Either way, I think we're getting Sundin or Hossa. Just my opinion. I think it will be Sundin. I see NYR signing Orpik, Oilers signing Hossa, and Sundin going to Montreal

Stan is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:47 PM
  #64
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
The fact remains that RDS and the OP are making Gainey look like an idiot that's passing on the Free Agent he most covets when it's not the case at all.

The Habs are not done with Sundin, nor are they headed in a different direction. They're simply going after Hossa because in the meantime, Sundin has not decided as to whether he will return or not.

We knew this in the morning. This is not news.
I don't think so. Gainey asked Toronto to talk to Sundin so he could get a handle on the free agent sweepstakes. He got his answer. Sundin isn't interested. Gainey has decided to move on. Let everyone else wheel and deal with him. I think Gainey's gravy train has left the Sundin terminal.

Nothing else makes sense. If Gainey was willing to wait for Sundin after July 1st he wouldn't negociate with Toronto for a 9 day grace peroid.

onice is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:48 PM
  #65
Le depisteur
Registered User
 
Le depisteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Québec
Posts: 3,799
vCash: 500
7:41pm ET - Oilers GM Kevin Lowe about to talk to the media... Habs itching to hear from Hossa and Sundin...

Le depisteur is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:49 PM
  #66
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I don't think so. Gainey asked Toronto to talk to Sundin so he could get a handle on the free agent sweepstakes. He got his answer. Sundin isn't interested. Gainey has decided to move on. Let everyone else wheel and deal with him. I think Gainey's gravy train has left the Sundin terminal.

Nothing else makes sense. If Gainey was willing to wait for Sundin after July 1st he wouldn't negociate with Toronto for a 9 day grace peroid.
If he was willing to negociate a 9 day grace period I dont think they'd throw it all down the drain just like that.

znk is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:53 PM
  #67
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
God some people here are such alarmists.

Dreger just said on TSN that there were 4 teams pushing hard for Sundin: Vancouver, New York Rangers, Montreal and Toronto.

The general impression I get is that our focus has shifted to Hossa for now but we're definitely not done with Sundin.
I still don't get the 3 teams offering him a deal other than us. Vancouver isn't even close to becoming a contender, what would Sundin do for them for a whole 2 years? (Are they driving the price up on Gainey? Mats said he wanted to play in the East so this really doesn't make any sense.) New York has a stockpile of centers... I'm pretty sure they need some defense and maybe a winger if/when Jagr goes. Toronto just blew up half of their team - why the heck would they want Sundin, and why would Mats want to play there?

None of it makes sense to me really... I don't get it.

BadHabit is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:54 PM
  #68
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,935
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I don't think so. Gainey asked Toronto to talk to Sundin so he could get a handle on the free agent sweepstakes. He got his answer. Sundin isn't interested. Gainey has decided to move on. Let everyone else wheel and deal with him. I think Gainey's gravy train has left the Sundin terminal.

Nothing else makes sense. If Gainey was willing to wait for Sundin after July 1st he wouldn't negociate with Toronto for a 9 day grace peroid.
Sundin saying "I appreciate your offer Bob but I'll need to take a couple of weeks to consider my options" and Gainey saying "Thanks for your time, you know where we stand, we'll be in touch" makes no sense?

hototogisu is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:56 PM
  #69
Ape Clutch
Registered User
 
Ape Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Haiti
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
I still don't get the 3 teams offering him a deal other than us. Vancouver isn't even close to becoming a contender, what would Sundin do for them for a whole 2 years? (Are they driving the price up on Gainey? Mats said he wanted to play in the East so this really doesn't make any sense.) New York has a stockpile of centers... I'm pretty sure they need some defense and maybe a winger if/when Jagr goes. Toronto just blew up half of their team - why the heck would they want Sundin, and why would Mats want to play there?

None of it makes sense to me really... I don't get it.
Basically we get Sundin

Ape Clutch is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 06:56 PM
  #70
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I'm not sure how this thread, which popped up like a mushroom like so many others today, didn't get merged with the Sundin thread, but I still think Montreal is very much a destination for Sundin. In fact, I still think Sundin will end up here, because I don't think the offers in front of him are from teams he's very keen on, and I also don't think Gainey's Plan B, whatever it is, is going to work out.

So, there. I said it. I still think Sundin is going to be a Hab.
I still think it's either Montréal or retirement.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 07:00 PM
  #71
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
If he was willing to negociate a 9 day grace period I dont think they'd throw it all down the drain just like that.
No. that grace period was to get an early answer on the Sundin situation. He got his answer. Sundin was playing coy. Now, Vancouver wants to pay 10 mil/yr. Gainey has to be nuts to play in that game. Let Sundin go. Next on the list. And that's exactly what I think he's doing. He's moving on.

I'm sure if Sundin comes back pleading to play for the Habs (we all know how realistic that is) and Gainey hasn't signed anyone he'll listen but I think Gainey has moved on.

onice is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 07:04 PM
  #72
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Sundin saying "I appreciate your offer Bob but I'll need to take a couple of weeks to consider my options" and Gainey saying "Thanks for your time, you know where we stand, we'll be in touch" makes no sense?
Yeah because Gainey asked for a 9 day head start so he could get his priorities set. He isn't gonna wait around and lose on plan b or c and then have Sundin tell him well I'm going to N.Y. or Vancouver.

How many Brieres or Lapointes do you need before you learn your lesson?

onice is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 07:05 PM
  #73
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
God some people here are such alarmists.

Dreger just said on TSN that there were 4 teams pushing hard for Sundin: Vancouver, New York Rangers, Montreal and Toronto.

The general impression I get is that our focus has shifted to Hossa for now but we're definitely not done with Sundin.
The Rangers signed Redden and Rozsival, so they have no money for Sundin, not to mention having Gomez, Drury, and Dubinsky as their centers.

Vancouver is going nowhere and has few supporting players to offer Sundin. Is he such a masochist that he would endure 2 more non-playoff seasons?

I would imagine that Sundin bears ill will toward the Toronto management for making him walk the plank.

So what's left? The Habs or retirement.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 07:07 PM
  #74
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,935
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Yeah because Gainey asked for a 9 day head start so he could get his priorities set. He isn't gonna wait around and lose on plan b or c and then have Sundin tell him well I'm going to N.Y. or Vancouver.

How many Brieres or Lapointes do you need before you learn your lesson?
You're basically agreeing with what I just said, although I don't know why you're so convinced Sundin made up his mind already. I think Sundin wants more time, and Gainey's fine with it, but he's obviously still going to pursue a guy like Hossa if he's available. Sounds simple enough to me.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
07-01-2008, 07:08 PM
  #75
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
It's pretty clear some people here are really lacking in the common sense dept.

But that's OK. We can work around it.

Blades 0f Steel is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.