HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Taping Hockey Skates

Old
07-01-2008, 06:40 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
I was in the same boat you are. Started skating in Nov, then did a hockey course starting in April. Best piece of advice: skate, skate, skate. The more ice time you get and skate (playing hockey or just doodling around the rink) the better.

Make sure you keep your skates vertical, not dropping your ankles down to the inside so you always ride your inside edges. So your ankles stay straight when standing or gliding. Eventually, your ankles will get strong enough on their own and no worries.

I had bambi ankles too, but after enough skating (and a few friendly reminders from the instructor) I've got no problems. So just hang in there and keep working at it. After all, it's all for fun, no worries.

If ice time is an issue, maybe pick up a cheap pair of inlines and cruise around the neighbourhood. Something with similar ankle support to what you got.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Watch for the Yeti

vCash: 500
Do you guys use clear tape to tape your ankles or the stick tape?

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 07:34 AM
Coachtdoig

I have played with many guys who have great ankle strength and mobility but just love and are used to the tight feel. Some guys used clear and stick tape around the ankle to the point where I didn't know how they took a stride, but it worked for them. Hockey is a big "what works for you, might not work for me" sport and it really comes down to being comfortable.

With that being said here are a couple really easy exercises you can do to build some mobility and strength in your ankles.

Face a wall and have one foot about a foot from the wall and the other foot slightly behind. You are going to bend your knee over your big toe as far as you can without letting your heel come off, then return back to starting position. Forward over the middle of your foot, and back. Finally, over your pinky too and back. Working on this (dorsi-flexion) every day will help build mobility in your ankles.

To build some stability and strength just stand on one leg and slightly bend your knee. Balance on that leg for 30-45 seconds without your other leg touching you or the ground. If that seems easy, give yourself more of a knee bend.
A progression from that is to close your eyes with a slight knee bend and make that knee bend larger again if it gets easy. You will be surprised how difficult this actually is. Remember when initiating knee bend that our bum comes back, our knee doesn't come forward first. Don't let that knee get out over your toes.

If anyone needs a clearer picture I can fire on a little video this week, just let me know!

Ciao,
TD

Coachtdoig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Watch for the Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachtdoig View Post
I have played with many guys who have great ankle strength and mobility but just love and are used to the tight feel. Some guys used clear and stick tape around the ankle to the point where I didn't know how they took a stride, but it worked for them. Hockey is a big "what works for you, might not work for me" sport and it really comes down to being comfortable.

With that being said here are a couple really easy exercises you can do to build some mobility and strength in your ankles.

Face a wall and have one foot about a foot from the wall and the other foot slightly behind. You are going to bend your knee over your big toe as far as you can without letting your heel come off, then return back to starting position. Forward over the middle of your foot, and back. Finally, over your pinky too and back. Working on this (dorsi-flexion) every day will help build mobility in your ankles.

To build some stability and strength just stand on one leg and slightly bend your knee. Balance on that leg for 30-45 seconds without your other leg touching you or the ground. If that seems easy, give yourself more of a knee bend.
A progression from that is to close your eyes with a slight knee bend and make that knee bend larger again if it gets easy. You will be surprised how difficult this actually is. Remember when initiating knee bend that our bum comes back, our knee doesn't come forward first. Don't let that knee get out over your toes.

If anyone needs a clearer picture I can fire on a little video this week, just let me know!

Ciao,
TD
Hey, thanks for the advice. Can you show me how to do the first example on the video?

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by no.95 View Post
While your skates should have some ankle support you really shouldn't go for overly stiff skates. I'm also usually against taping your skates as taping them hinders you from naturally strengthening your ankles, I'd tape up my ankle inside the skate or put on some sort of ankle support thingy instead if I was prone to spraining them. As for skates go for a pair of low/mid-level skates that you find comfortable, go to your local hockey shop and try on a couple of them, take your time and let them help you.
I concur here. However I know many people who find this to be more suitable.

I was told to tie around my ankles. I tried it and tripped immediately upon my first skate touching the ice. I personally need that flexibility. I need super tight skates but dont need my ankles to be tight. Just the least amount of free space in my skate there can be

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Coachtdoig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti View Post
Hey, thanks for the advice. Can you show me how to do the first example on the video?
I was going to post my own video but I found a perfect one online which shows exactly what I would have shown. It is a side view so just make sure each time you bend forward you are going over your big toe, then middle of your foot, then over your pinkie toe and back to the start going over your big toe.

Keeping your heel on the ground and going as far as you can, go for 30-45 seconds on each leg.

Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLH8OD_t7no

Ciao,
TD

Coachtdoig is offline   Reply With Quote