HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NY rangers

Old
06-29-2008, 06:41 PM
DrMailloux

vCash: 500
NY rangers

I know its a bit late to react... but i was looking at the salary cap of the rangers... what have they done !

Scott Gomez: 7,35 millions
Chris Drury: 7,05 millions
Henrik Lundqvist: 6,87 millions

And they want to sign Jagr and Sundin ?

Those nhl owners are completly crazy... they are ruining the league by abusing free agency...

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 06:45 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMailloux View Post
I know its a bit late to react... but i was looking at the salary cap of the rangers... what have they done !

Those nhl owners are completly crazy... they are ruining the league by abusing free agency...
Every team wants to sign Jagr and Sundin though the Rangers will absolutley not get both of them.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

Rangers have something like 36 mil locked into 14-15 players.... but that's without Jagr, Straka, Mara, Kasparaitis, Rozsival, Shanahan, Strudwick, Malik and Avery.

Whereas the Habs have 18 players locked at 42 mil, but only have Kostitsyn, Gorges, Halak and O'Byrne to sign...

It seems they believe they're still in the pre-cap era....

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

The rangers go by the philosophy of paying 90% of the cap to 10 players and the rest are fillers...I think if they sign another 7-8 mil guy they will start looking like Tampa Bay.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:25 PM
SpreeEndaz

I guess the Rangers didn't change after all; they still buy and trade for all the players possible and think they can championship by stacking talent only.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:32 PM
McTusk

They have Sather in charge, since he can't draft they need to buy players.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:34 PM
znk

Quote:

What? LOL...the rules are the same for every team.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:40 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
you're exactly right. Plus, he has a lifetime job from an owner who wants every ranger fan to have 50 jerseys, hence the signing of big names. Its the Ranger way. We won't win a cup til he's gone.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
If they somehow manage to re-sign Jagr AND sign Sundin, they would still not be a legit cup contender IMO because their blueline will seriously be underwhelming due to those 5 big contracts on their cap. Staal-Girardi-Tyutin-Backman-2 decent to mid level UFA's because that's all they could afford. Where's the supreme puck moving ability or the physical play or strong shutdown ability you need from the backend to be a title contender?

Let's hope for our sake the Rangers realize that and decide to blow their load on Campbell or Redden instead of Sundin.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Speedtrials

The Rangers have come a long way as an organization since the lockout. They are just now starting to see the benefits of the change in philosophy they made in 04. They already have a foundation of home grown talent in Staal, Callahan, Dubinsky, Dawes, Prucha, Tyutin, Girardi, and Lundqvist. Then you factor in younger prospects like Cherepanov, Sanguinetti, Anisimov, and Korpikoski it appears they will have some excellent talent to add to that foundation. Now not all these prospects and young players will pan out, or continue to develop. However, the Rangers are way past the point of having to "buy" all their players. Last season, they identified Drury and Gomez as two players they would spend big money in order lead the franchise for a long time. Outside of those contracts, the only money they have spent since 04 is on stop-gaps like Shanny, Straka, Rucinsky, Malik, Nylander, and those were mostly one to two years deals. Every off-season the Rangers are rumored to be in the mix for every big free agent, even though since 04 they have only been a major player once. This thread was just getting really nasty, and as a Ranger fan I just wanted to defend what I think is an unfair label about my team at this point.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 41814
Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
You know nothing. I think if you look closely youll see whats wrong with your statement.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 08:12 PM
TSV

Send a message via MSN to TSV
+ with gomez-drury-dubinsky at center, they don't need sundin!!

TSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 08:27 PM
DrMailloux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrials View Post
The Rangers have come a long way as an organization since the lockout. They are just now starting to see the benefits of the change in philosophy they made in 04. They already have a foundation of home grown talent in Staal, Callahan, Dubinsky, Dawes, Prucha, Tyutin, Girardi, and Lundqvist. Then you factor in younger prospects like Cherepanov, Sanguinetti, Anisimov, and Korpikoski it appears they will have some excellent talent to add to that foundation. Now not all these prospects and young players will pan out, or continue to develop. However, the Rangers are way past the point of having to "buy" all their players. Last season, they identified Drury and Gomez as two players they would spend big money in order lead the franchise for a long time. Outside of those contracts, the only money they have spent since 04 is on stop-gaps like Shanny, Straka, Rucinsky, Malik, Nylander, and those were mostly one to two years deals. Every off-season the Rangers are rumored to be in the mix for every big free agent, even though since 04 they have only been a major player once. This thread was just getting really nasty, and as a Ranger fan I just wanted to defend what I think is an unfair label about my team at this point.
I don't want to blame the rangers but i took their owner as a sample for signing insane contract.

I mean drury is not even a 1st liner and he gets 7millions ? Lundquist is very good but with this contract he his now the most well paid goaltender in the league ?

After those contract, what will happen when we will want to sign our player ? the player half as good as Drury will ask for 4millions, the player better than Drury will ask for 8-9 millions.

I agree that there was a shift in philosophy but last year they broke it, they went to their old habits of being greedy and trying to sign evryone...

Old
06-29-2008, 08:30 PM
DrMailloux

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
What? LOL...the rules are the same for every team.
I don't know what your talking about, abusing something doesn't require to break rules but doesn't make it morally right either.

Old
06-29-2008, 08:46 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrials View Post

Bound to happen when you have two C making a combined 14M$+ and are also rumored to go after two other forwards who'll make in the 7M$ range too

Guess we'll see, will the NYR go the "buying route" and chase Sundin/Jagr to end up having 4 forwards making close to 30M$ or they'll concentrate on building a "team"... let's not forget it's Sather at the helm, he won't mind spending on stars players.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Speedtrials

Quote:
I don't want to blame the rangers but i took their owner as a sample for signing insane contract.

I mean drury is not even a 1st liner and he gets 7millions ? Lundquist is very good but with this contract he his now the most well paid goaltender in the league ?

After those contract, what will happen when we will want to sign our player ? the player half as good as Drury will ask for 4millions, the player better than Drury will ask for 8-9 millions.

I agree that there was a shift in philosophy but last year they broke it, they went to their old habits of being greedy and trying to sign evryone...
I agree the Rangers probably overspent for Drury, but there were other teams competing to sign him that I am sure were offering around the same amount. Henrik's contract is no doubt high, but he is only 26 and is in the upper-echelon of goalies. Outside of giving him a ridiculous 15 year contract, the Rangers were going to have to pay him a high amount to keep the length of the contract reasonable.

Again, I don't want to make the Rangers sound as if they spend like a small market team, or are the model franchise of the NHL. It just is irritating that many on HF feel that because they signed two premier free agents in one off-season they are the bumbling and evil Rangers of 98-04.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 08:49 PM
znk

Quote:
I don't know what your talking about, abusing something doesn't require to break rules but doesn't make it morally right either.
please explain how they are abusing anything. That's laughable.

Old
06-29-2008, 10:41 PM
DrMailloux

Quote:
please explain how they are abusing anything. That's laughable.
Well that was the subject of the thread, why don't you take the time to read it.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:06 PM
znk

Quote:
Well that was the subject of the thread, why don't you take the time to read it.

If they can manage to fit them under the cap it's brilliant or maybe risky and dangerous management... not abuse. I ask again please explain what abuse you are talking about.

Old
06-29-2008, 11:14 PM
McTusk

Quote:
I ask again please explain what abuse you are talking about.
I think he's abusing HF posters, you especially right now.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 06:52 PM
giovanni

Quote:

wow, they just signed Wade Redden to 6.5 million a season. Now they have 27.77 million on four players. Opps i for got to add Rosaval at 5 million also.

giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 06:59 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni View Post
wow, they just signed Wade Redden to 6.5 million a season. Now they have 27.77 million on four players. Opps i for got to add Rosaval at 5 million also.
They are going to have to sign 3 or 4 guys for league min.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 07:04 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Oil

Sather thinks Gomez is Wayne Gretzky and that he can do with Lee Fogolin

edit: Rosival and Reddon lol

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 07:07 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
How? That's what the salary cap is for? I don't see the Rangers signing everybody. Just people they can fit under the cap. Right? Am I missing something? Do the Rangers not have a cap?

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote