HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Sign D Wade Redden 6yr/6.5M

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2008, 06:53 PM
RangersFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
wow something tells me they are actually hoping for a Bobby Sangs promotion...

Staal-Rozival
Redden-Girardi
???-Sangs

Tyutin you gotta believe will be moved...

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
I'll probably take a victory lap around my neighborhood if we pull that off and sign a couple wingers..
looking at the salaries the rangers could still sign a player like ryder and trade for vermette and fit it under the cap

Old
HockeyBasedNYC

I wanted Redden, but i guess you gotta give to get.

6 years... ouch

6.5 - i could live with because Redden has anchored a solid defense for few years. I think hes going to have a bounce back year and he will definitely help the top pairing with Staal, and the powerplay is instantly improved. He MUST get it back together though, because his play has tailed off as of late. I knew if the Rangers got a big name it would be at a hefty price. Hes got a fresh start, like he just said.

But overall, 6 years, 6.0 per....

I'm glad its on the backline though.

Old
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

There's some important considerations sprinkled through this thread. Redden has had personal turmoil, nagging injuries and a contentious relationship with management in Ottawa. Just get him healthy, let him play hockey and put him in a fresh place and he should be fine. (I hope and pray)

Old
07-01-2008, 06:54 PM
xander

I'm happier with the Rozsival deal, but we'll see. I've always said that you can't have enough puckmovers, and I think the redwings dominance this spring supports that theory. If all redden needed was a change of scenery and we get the guy from two years ago, then this is pretty reasonable. If Redden doesn't revert to form, then this is a bad contract.

And I don't see why Tyutin or Girardi would be traded, they're both very useful players signed to very reasonable contracts.

Old
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I think Renney and Sather believe a chance of scenery can help Redden re-gain his older form (or at least as close to it as possible).

If Redden can help the Rangers get any additional production out of the power play then it will be a big plus.

Old
SML

I'm going on record right now... I don't like it. First, I have questions about Redden and whether he was part of the problem or part of the solution in the Sens dressing room. This kid was a rising star, then fell right off the table. Within a short time, Ottawa is begging him to waive his no trade, and he's refusing. Something wrong there. He goes from being on team Canada to being run out of town? What gives? Secondly, our defense is young, but we have even younger guys coming up. What's with the 6 years deal? What's with 4 for Rozy? In four years, you have to think that several of the young dmen we've drafted will be ready. How do you get them in when all your spots are full? Somebody has to be going out of here.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:55 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
There's some important considerations sprinkled through this thread. Redden has had personal turmoil, nagging injuries and a contentious relationship with management in Ottawa. Just get him healthy, let him play hockey and put him in a fresh place and he should be fine. (I hope and pray)
agreed

Old
frankthefrowner

any word on a NMC???? Cause if not then the back end is irrelevant IMO cause we could send him to hartford ala Kasper and probably backman

Old
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
wow something tells me they are actually hoping for a Bobby Sangs promotion...

Staal-Rozival
Redden-Girardi
???-Sangs

Tyutin you gotta believe will be moved...
why? Tyutin actually has a reasonable contract. Amazing how fickle this fan base is.

Old
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Campbell is on the upside of his career, while Redden seems to be going down.

This is a terrible move...

Sign Rozey OR Redden and use the other money on Rolston, then resign Jagr would have been better.

We just took up 11 mill in cap space and still only have two top 6 fowards..

terrible job...

Old
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
It also allows Rosi to play on the 2nd unit where he is more suited (although $5m for a 2nd pairing D is a lot)

Old
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Hey guys, he's taking Malik's place!!! Doesn't that get anyone excited??

Old
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

At 31, 6 years seems too long.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:56 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I think Renney and Sather believe a chance of scenery can help Redden re-gain his older form (or at least as close to it as possible).

If Redden can help the Rangers get any additional production out of the power play then it will be a big plus.
I'm sure that's what they're thinking.

Devil's advocate: it's a lot of money and years dedicated to a guy who you hope just needs a change of scenenary.

07-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I'm not a fan of this signing.

What's a 6 year contract to Sather/Renney? Chances are neither is here when Redden is old and worn down...The key to this deal is if it contains a NMC...

Even if you put Reddens play into some perspective the past two years (he's played infront of some bad goaltending) he still isn't worth the LENGTH of this contract. The $6.5M a year doesn't bother me as much (The Rangers weren't bidding against themselves they are paying market rate) but what's Redding going to look like in 6 years?

The Rangers actually have about $10.4M if you factor in Pruchas and Backman into the equation but is that enough to fill 2 or 3 forward spots...

The more it plays out the more I don't get Sathers plan...

Old
07-01-2008, 06:57 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I'm going on record right now... I don't like it. First, I have questions about Redden and whether he was part of the problem or part of the solution in the Sens dressing room. This kid was a rising star, then fell right off the table. Within a short time, Ottawa is begging him to waive his no trade, and he's refusing. Something wrong there. He goes from being on team Canada to being run out of town? What gives? Secondly, our defense is young, but we have even younger guys coming up. What's with the 6 years deal? What's with 4 for Rozy? In four years, you have to think that several of the young dmen we've drafted will be ready. How do you get them in when all your spots are full? Somebody has to be going out of here.
if its needed, trades can occur, which may turn out to be a good thing...however sanguinetti is probably a year or more away and sauer and del zotto are further....i like the signings and am hoping to see tyutin traded for a winger

also, redden was always considered a great leader in ottawa and was never the problem however for the past 2-3 years ottawa has tried to trade him because they had mezsaros(the first two years and wanted to add a defensive defenseman...something they lacked) and then last year they were spiraling downward and trying to get anything for an upcoming UFA they couldnt keep

Old
07-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The Ranger desperately needed leadership on the blueline. At the very least, Redden should provide that.
My opinion as well. Couldn't care less about the contract. It's not my job to worry about the financial structure of this team. They overspend ? Oh well! The Rangers are no strangers to failure, nor should their fans be. What's one more season in the dirt?

Old
07-01-2008, 06:58 PM
cassius

I love to watch the Rangers make stupid mistakes, but this one I feel downright bad for.

Gomez/Drury - granted you guys paid a lot to get them - are in the primes of their careers, but Redden is another story.

He looked downright brutal anytime I've seen him this year.. terrible contract.

Old
07-01-2008, 06:59 PM
showjaxx

vCash: 647
Rozy, Redden and 2nd 09 for JBo

Old
07-01-2008, 06:59 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
why? Tyutin actually has a reasonable contract. Amazing how fickle this fan base is.
It's not that we want him gone, it's that reality dictates he is the most likely to be moved... it's a numbers game unfortunately. Out of the other 4 defensemen not signed today, he's making the most (or Backman makes more but he's as good as gone too).

By the way, I saw someone guess Redden's age to be about 36 or so. 31 years old as of June this year. So that helps swallow this horse pill. Boys, meet your newest Ranger: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...e=nhl-senators

Old
07-01-2008, 07:01 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I love it. Great signing. He was already getting 6 in Ottawa right? Thats a miracle in this days FA market.

This is not over, just a part of the plan. Has to be. Watch and be thankful!

Old
07-01-2008, 07:01 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Why not just Redden? Why both Rozsival and Redden? Now our defense is overcrowded and it will either cost us the chemistry Tyutin and Girardi have, or makes Staal a third pairing defenseman.

Rozsival - Redden
Tyutin - Girardi
Staal - _________

or

Staal - Redden
Rozsival - Girardi
Tyutin - _____________

I just don't understand. I really don't understand what Slats is doing, not to mention we only have 2nd/3rd/4th line wingers on this team.

Old
07-01-2008, 07:02 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Campbell is on the upside of his career, while Redden seems to be going down.

This is a terrible move...

Sign Rozey OR Redden and use the other money on Rolston, then resign Jagr would have been better.

We just took up 11 mill in cap space and still only have two top 6 fowards..

terrible job...
agreed, just terrible what he's done today.

been loving your user name since I been on hf, now, Im lovin it even more.

No Jagr, No Avery, sigh.

Old
07-01-2008, 07:03 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I love to watch the Rangers make stupid mistakes, but this one I feel downright bad for.

Gomez/Drury - granted you guys paid a lot to get them - are in the primes of their careers, but Redden is another story.

He looked downright brutal anytime I've seen him this year.. terrible contract.
I wouldn't be too quick to hold last years season over anyone on that Sens roster.

Closed Thread