HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

our biggest problem!

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Chayos

vCash: 500
our biggest problem!

The biggest problem with our team right now is we are way overstocked on young players who haven't proven themselves but are to good to risk trading(ala satan). I think we have to look at moving some of our veterans who have proven themslves and have good value to amke more room for youngsters to try out.

Players who fit this mold imo are:

1) jason Smith
2) George laraque
3) Ryan smyth
4) moreau

These players are valued members of the team, but we have younger players ready to step into their roles and the returns on these players could fill holes we still have.

If you look at our roster without these players in it we are still pretty deep and anywhere we are not could be filled with the returns these players bring. Also keep in mind that if there is no hockey next season all 4 of these players will be a year closer to ufa.

torres york Dvorak
Isbister Horcoff Hemsky
Chimera reasoner Pisani
Rita Stoll Salmo

Bishai, pouliot,

Brewer Semenov
Staois bergeron
ulanov lynch

Woywitka

Conkilin, markananen, deslaurier.

The returns we got from trading the abovce players wwould be very significant and would fill the holes we have at center and on d very easily.

Old
06-04-2004, 08:01 PM
xerburt

Wow is this lineup ever banking on potential.

I agree that the team is chalk full of unproven players who are a little risky to trade, but I think that we're coming up on a time where the organization has to bite that risk and see if they can be spun off to procure some needed pieces of the puzzle.

I'm on the other side of the fence here, and think that guys like Moreau, Smyth, Smith & Laraque are backbones of this team in their respective roles. Laraque being the only possible exception. I'd even go so far as to say that Smith is more valuable to the team (on and off the ice) than Brewer - but I think I'm in the minority here.

Now is not the time to be gutting the team and starting over. This team needs some sense of continuity going forward post CBA.

Edit. As a side: I'm not as confident as you that Salmo, Chimera, Rita, Lynch et. al are quite ready to be regular contributors - just yet, anyways.

Old
06-04-2004, 08:31 PM
outKast*

worst post everwhat a horrible idea. name one team that ever one the stanley cup based on potential or youth? Leadership is key and moving veterans is one of the dumbest ideas out there.

Old
06-04-2004, 08:58 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
it's not a terrible post- and if you were around for more then a couple months you would know that. I do disagree that we should start into a massive rebuilding mode. I do think it'd be ok to trade Smith and Laraque though - because I have a feeling they don't have long term futures with the club anyways....

But I do see where he's coming from though - he's thinking be like the Senators - be terrible and young for a couple years and build up an absolutely amazing stockpile of youth and get some great draft picks and try to build a dynasty (although, if our scouts have done a good job in the last couple years and these kids turn out like they're supposed to, we may not be overly far away from being a steady contender).

Old
06-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
name one team that ever one the stanley cup based on potential or youth?
Only if you name me one team that ever won the Cup without making the playoffs.

Old
06-04-2004, 11:17 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
name one team that ever one the stanley cup based on potential or youth? Leadership is key and moving veterans is one of the dumbest ideas out there.
Well, the Oilers first Cup team in 1984 was chock full of kids who were barely shaving. Agree, though, balance is a key and if the CBA works the Oilers will no doubt be one of the teams who get older in terms of team average age.

Old
06-05-2004, 02:01 AM
hockeyaddict101

CBA is here

Time to rebuild is over IMO. It is time to move forward.

Lowe always said his goal was to get to 2004 and this would allow him to keep the veterans needed.

I don't see the Oilers suddenly going on a major rebuilding phase now. They already have a fair amount of youth in the organization and the key is to make sure you have the proper mix of the two.

That may mean a few veterans are moved as the kids develop and take over or trading some veterans in areas we may be strong to bolster weaknesses.

Old
06-05-2004, 02:56 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
The Oilers *have* been rebuilding.
It's time to start holding on to vets who really want to be in Edmonton. I've been saying for as long as I've been thinking about it (months, here) that it takes more than just talent to do much in the playoffs. It takes veteran leadership. It takes guys who've been there, done that.

Look at the Flames: they've got a couple Cup finalists and some winners on their roster. Nieminen, Lowry, Simon, Gelinas, Oliwa (sorta), even Commodore. The Lightning have, for their part, guys like Andreychuk, Dingman, Taylor, and Sydor.

The Oilers need a crew like that. They had Oates last year; look how much he seems to have helped the kids, at least, guys like Stoll and Bergeron heaped no end of praise on him. They've got Nedved now (at least for the time being). They need more. They need a "wily vet" or two. Smyth, Smith, and Moreau are a good start, but they need guys who've bled in the playoffs too. Now is the *worst* time to trade any of those three.

lowetide: I think the 84 Oilers are one of the exceptions that proves the rule, but... They had a few veteran types too, and they'd made the Finals the year before. I'd argue that going deep into the playoffs makes a lot of difference. They had guys like Pat Hughes, Dave Lumley, Lee Fogolin, and so on - all had a fair bit of playoff experience prior even to the 83 Finals run. The current Oilers don't really have anybody like that. (I think we've been in agreement on this topic before though.)

Old
06-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
lowetide: I think the 84 Oilers are one of the exceptions that proves the rule, but... They had a few veteran types too, and they'd made the Finals the year before. I'd argue that going deep into the playoffs makes a lot of difference. They had guys like Pat Hughes, Dave Lumley, Lee Fogolin, and so on - all had a fair bit of playoff experience prior even to the 83 Finals run. The current Oilers don't really have anybody like that. (I think we've been in agreement on this topic before though.)
I agree with your point about veterans, but the 84 case was somewhat unique in that they had SUCH talented youngsters they were an anomaly in terms of NHL history. And as you say they did have some leadership from guys like Fogolin and Doug Hicks before he was dealt.

Closed Thread