HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers new ECHL affiliate

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2004, 10:58 AM
Holly Gunning

vCash: 500
Oilers new ECHL affiliate

The Greenville Grrrrowl:

http://grrrowl.com/top_story.php?PHP...d15c0824ca52a7

I think you'll be very happy with Greenville. They were Atlanta's affiliate for I think three years until the Thrashers went with hometown Gwinnett instead. The only drawbacks are no radio or internet broadcasts and the newspaper coverage is only cursory. But the coaching is good, it's a nice arena and they have good fan support. Greenville is a much bigger city than Columbus, around 800,000 I think. I always enjoy going up there.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
The only drawbacks are no radio or internet broadcasts and the newspaper coverage is only cursory.
Another drawback: One of the worst names in history.

Intersting news. So does this officially end the affiliations with Columbus and South Carolina? And will this be the Oilers' own affiliate (ie. not sharing)?

Old
06-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Another drawback: One of the worst names in history.
Agree, but they have a lot going for them so do try to get past that.

Quote:
So does this officially end the affiliations with Columbus and South Carolina? And will this be the Oilers' own affiliate (ie. not sharing)?
Well since Columbus is no longer in the league, that one's done for sure. I don't know about the relationship with South Carolina, but it wasn't very strong to begin with anyway. No it's not exclusive with Greenville, they also signed a deal with the Chicago Blackhawks as the release mentions. It's funny, sharing ECHL affiliates isn't very common, yet twice in a row Edmonton has done it. No big deal, teams usually only send 2-4 players to the affiliate anyway. Makes you wonder if there is reason for it though.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Agree, but they have a lot going for them so do try to get past that.
Never. I haven't gotten past the IceDogs or the Mighty Ducks, so the Grrrowl don't stand a chance.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:22 AM
Holly Gunning

I suppose it would make it worse if I told you their mascot is a big dog named Gruff (Grrruff?) and that they enter the ice through a giant blow-up dog house, right? Their game staff can't help themselves from playing "who let the dogs out" either. And did I mention the midget?

Old
06-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Seachd

Quote:
I suppose it would make it worse if I told you their mascot is a big dog named Gruff (Grrruff?) and that they enter the ice through a giant blow-up dog house, right? Their game staff can't help themselves from playing "who let the dogs out" either. And did I mention the midget?
Whoa... Do the Oilers know what they're getting themselves into? Although the midget thing sounds interesting...

Old
06-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Although the midget thing sounds interesting...
He started of as part of the intermission entertainment crew, as the MC, a few years ago. He's now off ice, and directs game operations I believe, making sure everything happens as planned. He's a good guy, makes sure I'm taken care of for interviews, etc. But the fact remains that there is a midget involved.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:47 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Old
06-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

im a "little" person myself, and i take great offense in the word "midget", maybe next time show a little more class. And what, a midget with a regular job? shouldnt he be a wrestler or circus freak?

Old
06-05-2004, 02:16 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
And what, a midget with a regular job? shouldnt he be a wrestler or circus freak?
Sounds like the starts of the games at least are a bit of a circus, that close enough?

Closed Thread