HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line ideas

Old
06-23-2008, 11:25 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I really, really don't like having Giroux on a line with Carter. There seem to be times when the only thing on Carter's mind is to get the puck on net and I'd like to see him with forwards like Hartnell, Knuble, and Upshall who don't need the puck to cause havoc. Sure the idea of Giroux being the playmaker that makes Carter shine is nice, but an idea I don't like is putting the pressure on a rookie to be the playmaker. We are way too deep at forward to be expecting a rookie to be the essential cog in a line.

Another thing I've noticed is that everyone seems to have Briere and Gagne together as a foregone conclusion, including me. Yes I know Briere had his best success with Gagne early in the season and didn't rediscover that spark until Prospal came, but I'd really like to see what Gagne can do with Carter or Richards. Remember, Gagne never played on a line with the new and improved Carter or Richards, he was always with Briere. I feel like a line with Gagne-Richards-and Giroux would be very interesting. Giroux has explosive playmaking abilities, Gagne knows how to put the puck in the net with the best of them, and Richards showed he knows how to make plays. Add the fact that Richards and Gagne are no slouches in the defensive zone and you have a pretty formidable line.

We all put Gags with Briere cause when Gags wasnt with Briere, Briere started to struggle abit. Seems that Gags was one of the only ones that could play with Briere, with Hartnell accually doing pretty well with Briere later on.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 07:16 PM
PhilaFlyers

Where will metropolit fit in?

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Raffl House

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangla View Post
Where will metropolit fit in?
Where will the 7643 defensemen we just picked up fit in? Is there any thread that clarifies the comings and goings around here? Honest to god, I've lost count of who is where and in what situation, and I'm not being sarcastic.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 07:22 PM
PhilaFlyers

Defense
Timonen
Coburn
Hatcher?
Parent
Kukkonen
Jones
Eminger
Vaananen
Ramholt
Syvret
Guenin

Old
07-01-2008, 07:32 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethunder View Post
Where will the 7643 defensemen we just picked up fit in? Is there any thread that clarifies the comings and goings around here? Honest to god, I've lost count of who is where and in what situation, and I'm not being sarcastic.
Here's everything

Available UFAs: F Jesse Boulerice, F Jim Dowd, D Rory Fitzpatrick, D Jaroslav Modry, D Jason Smith

Available RFAs: D Nate Guenin, D Randy Jones, F Stefan Ruzicka, F Patrick Thoresen

Notable Signings: F Jeff Carter (3-year, $15 million contract), D Steve Eminger (one-year contract), F Riley Cote (3-years), D Ossi Vaananen (1-year, $1 million), F Glen Metropolit (2-years), Nate Raduns (1-year), D Sean Curry (2-years)

Trades: Acquired defenceman Danny Syvret from the Edmonton Oilers for centre Ryan Potulny; acquired a 2008 seventh-round pick and a 2009 conditional fourth-round pick from the Tampa Bay Lightning for the rights to left wing Vaclav Prospal; acquired 2008 first- and third-round picks from the Columbus Blue Jackets for centre R.J. Umberger and a 2008 fourth-round pick; acquired defenceman Steve Eminger and a 2008 third-round pick from the Washington Capitals for a 2008 first-round pick; acquired defenceman Janne Niskala from the Nashville Predators for left wing Triston Grant and a 2009 seventh-round pick; acquired 2009 sixth-round pick from the Tampa Bay Lightning for Janne Niskala; acquired Patrik Hersely and Ned Lukacevic from the L.A. Kings for Denis Gauthier and a 2nd round pick.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=2744

Last edited by PhilaFlyers: 07-01-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old
07-01-2008, 09:22 PM
ILIKETURTLES08

gagne-Carter-Briere
Hartnell-Richards-lupul
Giroux-Metrapolit-Upshall
Downie-Thor-Knuble

ILIKETURTLES08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:24 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKETURTLES08 View Post
gagne-Carter-Briere
Hartnell-Richards-lupul
Downie-Thor-Knuble
and i wanmted upshall-carter-giroux so bad.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:30 PM
BringBackStevens

Gagne - Richards - Lupul
Briere (can he play left?) - Carter - Giroux
Hartnell - Metropolit - Upshall
Cote - Thoreson - Downie

All signs point to Knuble on the move, IMO. Even if they put Downie/Giroux in the AHL for the year, it doesn't make a lot of sense to play him 10 minutes a night on the 4th line.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Raffl House

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKETURTLES08 View Post
gagne-Carter-Briere
Hartnell-Richards-lupul
Downie-Thor-Knuble
Yikes. Metropolit is a 4th liner to replace Dowd. Thoresen is not a natural center. Cote will also be in the lineup, making one of Thoresen, Knuble, Lupul, or Upshall expendable. My guess is Thoresen would be the first to go, then Knuble. If Lupul/Upshall is traded, it would be in a package deal with some of the recent pickups on defense for a better defenseman, most likely.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:36 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Yikes. Metropolit is a 4th liner to replace Dowd. Thoresen is not a natural center. Cote will also be in the lineup, making one of Thoresen, Knuble, Lupul, or Upshall expendable. My guess is Thoresen would be the first to go, then Knuble. If Lupul/Upshall is traded, it would be in a package deal with some of the recent pickups on defense for a better defenseman, most likely.
i coulkd see thor stayong because he is the best fit for 4th line center of the bunch. could see knuble on the move IMO if one is moved

gagne-Carter-Briere
Hartnell-Richards-lupul
cote-Thor-downie
knuble

but will downie play 4th line??? or should he play 1st line minutes in ahl instead of 4th???

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Raffl House

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
i coulkd see thor stayong because he is the best fit for 4th line center of the bunch. could see knuble on the move IMO if one is moved

gagne-Carter-Briere
Hartnell-Richards-lupul
cote-Thor-downie
knuble

but will downie play 4th line??? or should he play 1st line minutes in ahl instead of 4th???
Your missing two key points. Metropolit is not a 3rd line center. Thoresen is not a center at all. Your lines won't work. I'd rather see Upshall or Giroux in that 3rd line center spot, allowing Knuble/Downie/Thoresen to slide in to the 3rd line, with a 4th line of Cote-Metropolit-Whoever.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:44 PM
mercury

Gagne-Briere-Hartnell
Knuble-Richards-Lupul
Upshall-Carter-Giroux
Thor-Metro-Downie
Cote

Timonen-Coburn
Hatcher-Eminger
Vaananen-Jones
Kukkonen

Biron
Nitty

And Parent as the first call-up from the Phantoms on D. I think that there may be one trade to come, though.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:46 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Gagne-Briere-Hartnell
Knuble-Richards-Lupul
Upshall-Carter-Giroux
Thor-Metro-Downie
Cote

Timonen-Coburn
Hatcher-Eminger
Vaananen-Jones
Kukkonen

Biron
Nitty

And Parent as the first call-up from the Phantoms on D. I think that there may be one trade to come, though.

I think Parent will start from the get go

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Your missing two key points. Metropolit is not a 3rd line center. Thoresen is not a center at all. Your lines won't work. I'd rather see Upshall or Giroux in that 3rd line center spot, allowing Knuble/Downie/Thoresen to slide in to the 3rd line, with a 4th line of Cote-Metropolit-Whoever.
His TOI and point totals disagree.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:50 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by socraticirony View Post
His TOI and point totals disagree.
As do a legion of Bruins fans.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:01 PM
JGalt

If it's me I move Knuble and go with this:

Gagne - Briere - Hartnell
Lupul - Richards - Downie
Upshall - Carter - Giroux
Cote - Metropolit - Thoresen

If Knuble stays then one of him, Downie or Upshall gets stuck on the 4th line and that's just a waste. Who knows what's going on on the D at this point.

JGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:14 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Metropolit wouldn't have signed here to play 4th line duties. Homer must have given him his word so while 100% healthy expect Briere on wing.

Baring a trade

Gagne - Carter - Briere
Hartnell - Richards - Lupul

Upshall - Metropolit - Knuble

This leaves out Giroux and Downie which I think at least one will be getting top 9 minutes so I definitely see someone going either Knuble or Upshall. It would be asinine to trade Lupul after already dealing Umberger and Homer's not that dumb.

Can Lupul play LW? Thoreson isn't really a C so is Dowd really gone?

Thoreson/Cote are going to be the 12th/13th fowards IMO

easton122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:18 PM
JGalt

I really, really hope Metropolit isn't supposed to be taking a spot in the top 9. I'm assuming he's being brought in to replace Jim Dowd.

Last edited by JGalt: 07-01-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old
07-01-2008, 10:24 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalt View Post
I really, really hope Metropolit isn't supposed to be taking a spot in the top 9.
He'll be playing considerable minutes at the very least. He has to expect a little less IT here but at a minimum 4th line minutes plus a lot of PK. I have him on a fantasy team so I looked at his stats often and he played 20+ minutes in more than just a handful of games.

easton122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:31 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122 View Post
Metropolit wouldn't have signed here to play 4th line duties. Homer must have given him his word so while 100% healthy expect Briere on wing.

Baring a trade

Gagne - Carter - Briere
Hartnell - Richards - Lupul

Upshall - Metropolit - Knuble

This leaves out Giroux and Downie which I think at least one will be getting top 9 minutes so I definitely see someone going either Knuble or Upshall. It would be asinine to trade Lupul after already dealing Umberger and Homer's not that dumb.

Can Lupul play LW? Thoreson isn't really a C so is Dowd really gone?

Thoreson/Cote are going to be the 12th/13th fowards IMO
Don't know about Lupul at LW, but Knuble played on the left in Boston. Knuble-Thornton-Murray.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Raffl House

Look, Metro is a nice player. But he is a 4th line player who can chip in some offense. 33 points is a very nice total for a player of his caliber, but he won't see the same type of ice time he saw in Boston, because he won't beat out any of our top 9 players barring injuries or unforeseen events. He can fill in where needed, but understand this is a move to replace Jim Dowd.

And I don't see why Metro wouldn't sign here to be a 4th line player. He has a chance to be on a good playoff team and contribute...sounds like a good deal for a veteran like him who has bounced around quite a bit.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:05 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Look, Metro is a nice player. But he is a 4th line player who can chip in some offense. 33 points is a very nice total for a player of his caliber, but he won't see the same type of ice time he saw in Boston, because he won't beat out any of our top 9 players barring injuries or unforeseen events. He can fill in where needed, but understand this is a move to replace Jim Dowd.

And I don't see why Metro wouldn't sign here to be a 4th line player. He has a chance to be on a good playoff team and contribute...sounds like a good deal for a veteran like him who has bounced around quite a bit.
What makes you so sure of all of this? Are you supposed to be Metropolit expert #1 or something?

Most people, and the stats, disagree with you. Metropolit is a third line player. And yes, Thoreson plays center.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:10 PM
JGalt

Right now Metropolit clocks in as the 11th forward on this team by my reckoning.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Ghost of Downie*

My first impression is that the line-up looks something like

Gagne-Carter-Briere
Lupul-Richards-Giroux
Upshall-Metropolit-Hartnell
Cote-Thoresen-Downie

Timonen-Coburn
Parent-Trade/Hatcher
Eminger-Vaananen/Hatcher?
Kukkonen

Biron
Niitty

It really is starting to look like Knuble is the odd-man out, as much as I hate to admit it. I love the guy, but he, Jones, and Nodl would be a nice package. Leading me to Jones; I'm just not seeing him resigning here right now. Homer has gotten way too many 3rd pairing guys just to resign Jones.

A trade just seems to be brewing...

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Raffl House

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
What makes you so sure of all of this? Are you supposed to be Metropolit expert #1 or something?

Most people, and the stats, disagree with you. Metropolit is a third line player. And yes, Thoreson plays center.
Might be the fact that anyone who has watched Flyers hockey this past season, even sparingly, would understand where and why Metro fits in. He is primarilly a center that played 3rd line duties for the Bruins who were devestated with injuries and had other depth issues. I'm not saying he shouldn't be a 3rd line player, or better, but he is here to fill in the hole left by Jim Dowd. Thoresen does not play center, and while he could fill in there, moving a career left winger with a short amount of NHL experience at center into a full time roll there, especially when his game is better suited for the wing anyway, seems like an odd move. Not to mention, Briere, Carter, Richards, and yes, even Metro, are above him on the depth chart, should he be moved to center.

Most people seem to agree with me that Metro was brought in to replace Dowd. Included in that list are a few who replied to this post, as well as CSN. As far as I know, Thoresen's FW% last season was 49%. That could be good enough for 4th line duty, but again...in the NHL, he's hardly played much at that position, and its important to have a proven player in that position.