HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

hossa to edmonton (e4)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Unsustainable

vCash: 500
I don't disagree, but if it means landing an elite winger the Oilers need it.

Old
07-01-2008, 08:46 PM
VelvetJones

I disagree with this move but I guess I'm not signing the cheques.

Old
07-01-2008, 08:58 PM
scott57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
To move Roloson, the only way would be to take a bad contract back, so....Yeah.
It's not the only way. Example : How about Roloson and Rob Schremp for LA's 4th or maybe 5th round draft pick in 2009 ? ... or Roloson and Edmonton's 3rd (2009) for LA's 6th (2009) ?

There are ways to do it.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:01 PM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
You can be 10% over the Cap until the Regular Season starts. They would find a way to make it work...specially if they can land a guy like Hossa.
There's "making it work" and then there's "financially impossible".

I'm no capologist but even assuming Hossa signs for 8M a season, that means the Oilers would have to shed at least 4M bucks in salary just to make the cap, with zero wiggle room.

Sure they could try and dump Roloson, Souray, or Penner but how are you going to do that without taking some salary back in return?

If Lowe can do it, kudos to him... I just think putting a promising young team in a crippling cap situation isn't the brightest idea (see - Tampa Bay).

Old
07-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
There's "making it work" and then there's "financially impossible".

I'm no capologist but even assuming Hossa signs for 8M a season, that means the Oilers would have to shed at least 4M bucks in salary just to make the cap, with zero wiggle room.

Sure they could try and dump Roloson, Souray, or Penner but how are you going to do that without taking some salary back in return?

If Lowe can do it, kudos to him... I just think putting a promising young team in a crippling cap situation isn't the brightest idea (see - Tampa Bay).
It's easy. Who exactly have the Thrashers acquired recently? They are still way below the floor. Wouldn't they have some mild interest in say Dustin Penner? Would LA rather have Khabby or Roloson who make less than half as much and isn't much of a downgrade? I think the secondary deals have already been established. Lowe's fall back if they don't get Hossa is just to stand pat with the current roster.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:17 PM
c4fn8d

I'm another one of the believers that Hossa will not end up in Edmonton. The Oil are being used as pawns. If he wanted the money, he would have signed already, instead, he announced that the Oil are the front runners and any other team (cough cough Detroit, NYR), better sweeten the pot...You have until morning. All I can say is, I hope Lowe has a fallback plan because Hossa is not going to play for the Oil next year, and I would frankly be relieved, because 10.5M is crazy money for Hossa.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:22 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4fn8d View Post
I'm another one of the believers that Hossa will not end up in Edmonton. The Oil are being used as pawns. If he wanted the money, he would have signed already, instead, he announced that the Oil are the front runners and any other team (cough cough Detroit, NYR), better sweeten the pot...You have until morning.
I think that's a good read on the situation...

Quote:
All I can say is, I hope Lowe has a fallback plan because Hossa is not going to play for the Oil next year, and I would frankly be relieved, because 10.5M is crazy money for Hossa.
...and I agree completely. This would put the Oilers in a nightmarish cap situation.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:23 PM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
It's easy. Who exactly have the Thrashers acquired recently? They are still way below the floor. Wouldn't they have some mild interest in say Dustin Penner? Would LA rather have Khabby or Roloson who make less than half as much and isn't much of a downgrade? I think the secondary deals have already been established. Lowe's fall back if they don't get Hossa is just to stand pat with the current roster.
Easier said than done.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:28 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
I'm another one of the believers that Hossa will not end up in Edmonton. The Oil are being used as pawns. If he wanted the money, he would have signed already, instead, he announced that the Oil are the front runners and any other team (cough cough Detroit, NYR), better sweeten the pot...You have until morning. All I can say is, I hope Lowe has a fallback plan because Hossa is not going to play for the Oil next year, and I would frankly be relieved, because 10.5M is crazy money for Hossa.
you really gotta wonder how well he knows hemsky and visnovsky though, maybe that plus the money will be able to swing his opinion

just like im sure (aside from the 20million dollars) the swedish connection in vancouver might help lure sundin

Old
07-01-2008, 09:31 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
well theres a good chance he knows Visnovsky from Team Slovakia. so who knows. we'll find out tomorrow i suppose.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Hemsky4PM

The Wings have the same problem. Zetterberg needs an extension and you have to think he's in for at least 7.5-8M and that would be a discount too.

According to TSN Detroit and Pittsburgh are offering around 7M per season. The Habs somewhere closer to 8M and the Oilers upwards of 9M.

I don't think it's unreasonable to at least think the Oilers are a playoff team if they were to add Hossa. They would clearly still be behind the Wings in terms of their odds for a championship but they would be leaps and bounds ahead of a lot of other teams.

I do agree with the pawn theory though. I think Montreal would be the team Hossa and Winter are trying to bid up since the Wings and Pens have a bit less flexibility. Should be interesting.

I'm going to say Hossa is a Hab at noon tomorrow for about 8.5M per season average. That's just the way it goes for the Oilers.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:44 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
I don't really understand how someone can ask that on a day when

- Denis Gauthier, a guy with a cap hit of >2M$ who was being hidden in the minors all last season
- was traded along with a pick for two minor leaguers who won't add any salary to Philly's cap.

Right there you have two ways to dump salary without taking salary back. Oilers could package a pick or prospect with a player to dump salary. If it costs a 2nd round pick (as was the case with the Gauthier salary dump) to make room for Hossa, that's not a heavy price to pay. Oilers could send a player or two (other than Roloson, who would count against the cap regardless) to the minors. The Oilers have a pile of guys on entry-level/low salary deals who would be available to slot into 4th line/bottom pairing/pressbox duty. They could also run with a 21 or 22-man roster to save up to 1+ M$ in cap space.

I wouldn't say all of these ideas are all necessarily ideal team-building, but this is far from "financially impossible" stuff.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Someone

I REALLY hope we don't sign Hossa if he costs this much. As it stands, Horcoff, Cole, Grebeshkov, Brodziak and Garon are most likely going to all be looking for raises, and you never know what's going to happen with Brule, Schremp and Smid. The year after, Cogliano and Gagner need to be signed, with no significant contracts coming off the books to make room for them (unless one of the above mentioned only sign one year deals). I'd say the Oil have a decent chance at the playoffs with the current roster, with some decent prospects a lot of improving young players. Simply put, I'd much rather stand pat with the current team than pay so much for a guy just because he's had one 100 point season.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:52 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone View Post
I REALLY hope we don't sign Hossa if he costs this much. As it stands, Horcoff, Cole, Grebeshkov, Brodziak and Garon are most likely going to all be looking for raises, and you never know what's going to happen with Brule, Schremp and Smid. The year after, Cogliano and Gagner need to be signed, with no significant contracts coming off the books to make room for them (unless one of the above mentioned only sign one year deals). I'd say the Oil have a decent chance at the playoffs with the current roster, with some decent prospects a lot of improving young players. Simply put, I'd much rather stand pat with the current team than pay so much for a guy just because he's had one 100 point season.
cole/horcoff is 7.6 off the books next year (gagner is taking horcoff's place soon anyways), and souray can be traded in 2 years

Old
07-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott57 View Post
It's not the only way. Example : How about Roloson and Rob Schremp for LA's 4th or maybe 5th round draft pick in 2009 ? ... or Roloson and Edmonton's 3rd (2009) for LA's 6th (2009) ?

There are ways to do it.
Yeah, they could work too, but I doubt any team would help out the Oliers by taking a 38 year-old, 3 mill goalie so they can have Hossa...

Schremp and Roloson for like a 3rd, or whatever, is the most plausible way.

Old
07-01-2008, 09:58 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Bob Stauffer from Team 1260 in Edmonton reporting that Hossa's agent Ritch Winter, who resides in Edmonton, will have a meeting later tonight with Kevin Lowe and Darryl Katz.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:01 PM
The Smytty Clapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Bob Stauffer from Team 1260 in Edmonton reporting that Hossa's agent Ritch Winter, who resides in Edmonton, will have a meeting later tonight with Kevin Lowe and Darryl Katz.
i love life

Old
07-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Levizk

Well if he's not going to re-sign in Pittsburgh then I hope it is Edmonton that gets him since that'll put him fairly well out of the picture for the Pens. If the Oilers are really going to pay him over 9 million, then that'll at least allow people to move on knowing there's no way the team could've afforded him. It's pretty funny though Pittsburgh and Edmonton both being involved with the top free agent on July 1st is something neither fan base would've probably envisioned 5 or 6 years ago.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:13 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levizk View Post
Well if he's not going to re-sign in Pittsburgh then I hope it is Edmonton that gets him since that'll put him fairly well out of the picture for the Pens. If the Oilers are really going to pay him over 9 million, then that'll at least allow people to move on knowing there's no way the team could've afforded him. It's pretty funny though Pittsburgh and Edmonton both being involved with the top free agent on July 1st is something neither fan base would've probably envisioned 5 or 6 years ago.
Ain't that the truth.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:26 PM
hockey_nut

for what it's worth, the Bruins are out of the Hossa sweepstakes:

Quote:
Chiarelli, who noted that the team could make a move, was involved in the Marian Hossa sweepstakes, but he is no longer being pursued by the Bruins.

"We were involved a little bit earlier on with Hossa," Chiarelli said. "We weren't at a position where we felt we would devote time to it."
LINK: http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/bos080701a.html

Old
07-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
cole/horcoff is 7.6 off the books next year (gagner is taking horcoff's place soon anyways), and souray can be traded in 2 years
So would you rather have a couple of good players and no depth? I'm not entirely sold on Hossa making so much money. He had a whopping 66 points this season, how can that be worth 9+ million. If he can get back to 100 points it wouldn't be so bad, but will he? I'll admit, I don't watch him much, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to take that risk, especially with so many massive contracts on the team already. I'd much rather stay put and try to avoid cap problems, and hopefully be competetive for a few years, rather than just one or 2.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:11 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
The Wings have the same problem. Zetterberg needs an extension and you have to think he's in for at least 7.5-8M and that would be a discount too.

According to TSN Detroit and Pittsburgh are offering around 7M per season. The Habs somewhere closer to 8M and the Oilers upwards of 9M.

I don't think it's unreasonable to at least think the Oilers are a playoff team if they were to add Hossa. They would clearly still be behind the Wings in terms of their odds for a championship but they would be leaps and bounds ahead of a lot of other teams.

I do agree with the pawn theory though. I think Montreal would be the team Hossa and Winter are trying to bid up since the Wings and Pens have a bit less flexibility. Should be interesting.

I'm going to say Hossa is a Hab at noon tomorrow for about 8.5M per season average. That's just the way it goes for the Oilers.
Zetterberg wont touch 8. He'll sign for between Datsyuk and Lidstrom.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:12 PM
AVE MAN

Im not sure if this was mentioned in this thread but there's a rumour (reported by 1260 crfn) that if the deal goes down with Hossa the Oilers will trade Roloson and Nilson to the Canadians for Halak. That will save close to 4 million in cap room.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:19 PM
The Smytty Clapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN View Post
Im not sure if this was mentioned in this thread but there's a rumour (reported by 1260 crfn) that if the deal goes down with Hossa the Oilers will trade Roloson and Nilson to the Canadians for Halak. That will save close to 4 million in cap room.

It seems too perfect

Old
07-01-2008, 11:20 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN View Post
I'm not sure I understand what would motivate the Habs to do this.

Closed Thread