HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign Ryan Johnson

Old
07-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Eric

vCash: 500
Hordichuk won't be playing every game obviously, so that allows one of Brown or Hansen to come in and earn a bottom 6 spot. I expect Hordichuk to play a similar that Godard played, where he's only dressed against a big, tough team.

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Bourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe blow View Post
So, Question........

(and I am not making any comments about who will play where, what the lines should be, etc., just asking)

Does this leave us with the following potential lines at the moment:

Sedin - Sedin - ???
??? - Wellwood - Raymond
Burrows - Kesler - Pyatt
Hordichuk - Johnson - Pettinger
Spare: Rypien

If so, are we to assume that Isbister and Ritchie are leaving, and

Brown, Shannon, Cowan, Hansen, Grabner, Simek, Bliznak, Gendur, Jaffray, and Labrie will be in Manitoba this year? Did I miss anybody?

Any insight is appreciated, cheers!
Presumably Pyatt is gone as well, so it should be Burrows-Kesler-Pettinger. Pyatt isn't good enough defensively to play in the bottom-six, and doesn't utilize his size to his advantage.

We have a fast and gritty bottom six, which is good enough for now.

We should look to pick up Curtis Brown, while Johnson takes the position of LW whenever Hordichuk is slotted out.

Bourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Jovofan

I was just wondering if hockeybuzz should even be considered as an actual source?

Jovofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:45 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
I was just wondering if hockeybuzz should even be considered as an actual source?
Strickland...is pretty legit

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:45 PM
joe blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyface View Post
Ritchie has already signed overseas (can't remember the team). Raymond is a LW. Brown or Hansen might be kept as a 13th forward, I'm thinking.
Thanks! Embarrassing to not know what wing one of the Canucks plays on

Last edited by joe blow: 07-01-2008 at 10:53 PM.
joe blow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:46 PM
CanucksOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
Andy Strickland is very reliable (especially when we're talking about St. Louis players)

CanucksOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Payaso619*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Yeah, if Gillis only had an offer out there to make someone the highest paid player in the league, then things would get interesting.

What do you want the guy to do? Maybe he could get Quinn to work his magic and give Sundin a nice 3 am wakeup call.
I don't really get your exaggeration, I know we have holes on our bottom 6, but these could be filled with our players in our own system, atleast I thought. Our main concern is our top 6, we can wait a while until we start working on our bottom 6, I guess it's just nerve racking, seeing how, it seems we haven't been that active, I mean players like Vrabata(sp), for 3M a season would of been a good deal, Brunette for 2.4M a season was a good deal, I just don't see why Gillis wouldn't of made a pitch for them, seeing how IMO, they would fit well with the Sedins, especially at that price tag.

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Kesler Kills Kommies

the bottom 6 could be

Burrows Kesler Hansen
Pyatt Johnson Pettinger

I dont see whats wrong.

Kesler Kills Kommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:52 PM
smileyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payaso619 View Post
I don't really get your exaggeration, I know we have holes on our bottom 6, but these could be filled with our players in our own system, atleast I thought. Our main concern is our top 6, we can wait a while until we start working on our bottom 6, I guess it's just nerve racking, seeing how, it seems we haven't been that active, I mean players like Vrabata(sp), for 3M a season would of been a good deal, Brunette for 2.4M a season was a good deal, I just don't see why Gillis wouldn't of made a pitch for them, seeing how IMO, they would fit well with the Sedins, especially at that price tag.
It is possible as well that Gillis made a pitch to them but those players didn't want to play here. Also, I was iffy about Vrbata because I've read that he is streaky and can be lazy sometimes. I would have liked Brunette but his history with the Wild probably gave them an upper hand. There's still some good FAs out there so I'm hoping Gillis won't totally let us down.

smileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
I'm probably being just a stubborn Canuck fan, I guess I should be a little optimistic, but the fact of the matter is we have pretty decent amount of 3rd/4th liners in our system, Hansen, Brown, Shannon, etc, I don't really consider them crappy players.
I may be in the minority here but I don't see what you guys see in Brown at all. Sure what the kid did when he was called up was great to see, but that was all hustle and well-below NHL level skill. I think if a team has to give a guy like him a full-time spot, it's a sign of trouble. I realise he's not here for his skill, but man, his puckhandling and decision-making was embarassingly bad.

The other guys you mentioned, while they're good young guys that could use a spot, aren't guys you want on the 4th line. IMO, our 3rd line is set (Burrows-Kesler-Pyatt/Pettinger/Hansen), and we should be SPECIFICALLY talking in terms of 4th liners and not bottom 6 forwards. A guy like Pettinger may be automatically pushed down to that spot, but aside from that, we have:

Cowan - I think he can bounce back, but last season was absolutely terrible
Rypien - hasn't proved anything other than that he can't stay healthy
Brown - hasn't shown that he's ready for a 4th line spot, IMO.

If you have Cowan, Rypien, Brown as your 4th line, you are in SERIOUS trouble. Hell, Isbister-Ritchie-Linden individually were all significantly better players and even THEY were a bad 4th line. It's a more important part of the team than given credit for.

As for people who think Pyatt is on his way out, I think we're being a bit too overly optimistic in thinking that Gillis is going to address the rest of our scoring to the extent that we seem to be expecting. With the cap space tied up and the price of free agents, unless we make a significant D trade, I don't see ANY way that Gillis can get Sundin on TOP of a winger for him, ON TOP of a winger for the Sedins. If Gillis gets anything remotely adequate for the Sundin line if indeed he is getting Sundin, I'd bet we'll just have to settle for Pyatt on the Sedin line (which is still a FANTASTIC 1B/2nd line).

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:54 PM
VictownSulley

Forget Sundin, get Hossa and Demitra at a discount, re-sign nazzy

Raymond-Demitra-Hossa
Sedin-Sedin-Naslund
Burrows-Kesler-Pettinger
Hordichuk-Johnson-Hansen

VictownSulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:56 PM
ahmon

Quote:
This is getting pretty frustrating, I don't get these signings that Gillis is making, don't we already have an abundance of 4th/3rd liners, that we can plug in by our farm? Gillis better have another move up his sleeve cause this is giving me headaches
Just because he is a bot 6 guy doesn't mean he is not a good player. There is a difference between a quality role player and a role player that shouldn't be in the nhl.

Ryan Johnson's faceoff ability and competitiveness alone will improve our bot 6 forwards. Faceoffs has always been a major weakness for the canucks.

After losing josh green, who i think was really underrated for the job he did on the pk, Johnson should help on the pk as well.

I really the signings of hordichuk and johnson, these 2 each bring grit and fill a need of the canucks.

People are frustrated because we haven't improve our offense which is obviously our major need. But lets not take anything away from these two signing which both are quite decent imo.

ahmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:56 PM
DreamCatcher*

So far I see the Canucks line-up in this manner:

Sedin-Sedin-X= 7.15
X-X-Wellwood(Gillis said he can play center or right wing) = 997,500
Burrows-Kesler-Pettinger = 3.233
Hordichuk-Johnson-X = 1.925(assuming Hordichuk replaces Cowans salary)

Defence = 15.9 million

Goaltending = 6.75 million

Total = 35.9555 million

Which means Canucks still have a whopping 20.744 million dollars of cap space when calculating the roster.

I don't see Raymond receiving a full-time roster spot due to the fact that Canucks would rather have more proven talent injected into the line-up because of the two-year window with Luongo. A full season in the AHL can only benefit Raymond's progress and we can expect a much more seasoned player for next season. Many people may not like Wellwood but he may be the most talented player on the Canucks roster in terms of raw skill and if he comes to camp in excellent condition, like Gillis has stated, he will be a top 6 winger because of his talent. Canucks still have an ample amount of cap room to sign one more defenceman, a back-up goalie and fill 4 spots with a little over 20 million.

Excellent cap management by Gillis, Gilman.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
It isn't an exaggeration. The reason you don't think we have holes in our bottom 6 that can't be filled from within the organization is probably because nobody's TALKED about going out and getting someone, but I think that's more just a case of people considering that a given thing that Gillis will do fairly easily and that we don't have to worry about, and not that it's something he can just completely ignore and do fine. So he's addressing those needs now, and it's not like it's PREVENTING him from addressing our scoring woes.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:57 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

All these rosters look pretty terrible.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Alexistheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictownSulley View Post
Agree 100% With our D and Louie we will be stingy, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't our major downfall last year lack of scoring? This team still will lose more 2-1 games than it will win. Are we to assume we already have 4 of our top 6 forwards (Sedin-Sedin-Raymond-Wellwood)? That is sad unless we got both Sundin & Hossa, which we won't.

I am worried...

Sedin-Sedin-?
Raymond-Wellwood-?

Gross
Ahah, I was simply trying to be an optimist, I know just as well as you we need plenty more offense

Alexistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
All these rosters look pretty terrible.
Well lucky for you (well, us, really), the actual roster will look nothing like them.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Maybe the best part of the signing is the fact it gives Malik fan some more ammunition for his penis joke hobby. Eh Malik fan? First Wellwood, now Johnson. Gotta be pretty excited?

If Sundin signs we sure upgraded our laughable centre ice depth in a hurry didn't we? Sundin, Hodgson, Johnson, Wellwood. With or without Sundin Gillis sure revamped the pivot position.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
So far I see the Canucks line-up in this manner:

Sedin-Sedin-X= 7.15
X-X-Wellwood(Gillis said he can play center or right wing) = 997,500
Burrows-Kesler-Pettinger = 3.233
Hordichuk-Johnson-X = 1.925(assuming Hordichuk replaces Cowans salary)

Defence = 15.9 million

Goaltending = 6.75 million

Total = 35.9555 million

Which means Canucks still have a whopping 20.744 million dollars of cap space when calculating the roster.

I don't see Raymond receiving a full-time roster spot due to the fact that Canucks would rather have more proven talent injected into the line-up because of the two-year window with Luongo. A full season in the AHL can only benefit Raymond's progress and we can expect a much more seasoned player for next season. Many people may not like Wellwood but he may be the most talented player on the Canucks roster in terms of raw skill and if he comes to camp in excellent condition, like Gillis has stated, he will be a top 6 winger because of his talent. Canucks still have tons of cap room
Honestly, I would much rather have Raymond in the line-up than Wellwood (even if what I'm worrying about is putting out a competitive team instead of player development). He may not be as gifted offensively, but he brings more of an element IMO, and really there's nothing that says he can't produce at a similar rate. There are also far fewer weaknesses in his game (Wellwood has a TON).

If there was any real indication that we were automatically giving Wellwood a roster spot, I would think that he was a terrible signing. I see it more as a high-reward reclamation project that provides a backup plan whenever anyone goes down.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Jovofan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictownSulley View Post
Forget Sundin, get Hossa and Demitra at a discount, re-sign nazzy

Raymond-Demitra-Hossa
Sedin-Sedin-Naslund
Burrows-Kesler-Pettinger
Hordichuk-Johnson-Hansen
Forget Hossa. That ship has sailed. The Oilers are apparently offering as much as 9M a year for him. At that kind of price Sundin is a much better option since his term wouldn't be nearly as crippling as you know it'll be for Hossa.

Jovofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:10 PM
ChicagoBlues

You're gonna LOVE Ryan Johnson. He's super fast and a highly skilled penalty killer. He won't score many goals for you, but he lead the league in blocked shots last season. He's a typical role player and is also a really nice guy to boot.

Great signing by Vancouver!!!!

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2agingmonk View Post
Honestly, I would much rather have Raymond in the line-up than Wellwood (even if what I'm worrying about is putting out a competitive team instead of player development). He may not be as gifted offensively, but he brings more of an element IMO, and really there's nothing that says he can't produce at a similar rate. There are also far fewer weaknesses in his game (Wellwood has a TON).

If there was any real indication that we were automatically giving Wellwood a roster spot, I would think that he was a terrible signing. I see it more as a high-reward reclamation project that provides a backup plan whenever anyone goes down.
It's not a automatic spot but I predict Wellwood to come to camp and earn his spot. Also Raymond will never have the elite vision that Wellwood does have and having Wellwood in the line-up bolsters the Canucks PP significantly.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
unknown

so far i like what i hear about johnson. the nucks need more guys who will sacrifice for the team (this is the reason we are so fond of burrows and kesler). too bad he cant score as well but im still optomistic.

unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Sorry, where did I exaggerate? Gillis has an offer out to make Sundin the highest paid player in the league. That's more free agent excitement than this city has seen in a decade.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
It's not a automatic spot but I predict Wellwood to come to camp and earn his spot. Also Raymond will never have the elite vision that Wellwood does have and having Wellwood in the line-up bolsters the Canucks PP significantly.
Plus Wellwood has a two-way deal (to the best of my knowledge) - that alone you would think would be motivation for him to work (he comes to camp out of shape, he gets sent down to the Moose with one heckuva pay cut [minor league salary]).

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote