HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign Ryan Johnson

Old
07-01-2008, 11:13 PM
smileyface

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
You're gonna LOVE Ryan Johnson. He's super fast and a highly skilled penalty killer. He won't score many goals for you, but he lead the league in blocked shots last season. He's a typical role player and is also a really nice guy to boot.

Great signing by Vancouver!!!!
Thanks! I'm liking what I'm reading about Johnson from Blues fans.

smileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Plus Wellwood has a two-way deal (to the best of my knowledge) - that alone you would think would be motivation for him to work (he comes to camp out of shape, he gets sent down to the Moose with one heckuva pay cut [minor league salary]).
Well, Gillis did say that he's working extremely hard. That could just be blown smoke, but it's a far cry from the earlier report that had the Canucks telling him to hang out by the pool and eat sandwiches all summer.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Fork

good signing gillis, but our offense is still pathetic

Fork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:17 PM
hlrsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
Excellent cap management by Gillis, Gilman.
What kind of excellent cap management are they doing? Inheriting a team with $20+M in cap space and signing two 4th liners and a waiver wire pickup is 'excellent cap management' ?

Don't get me wrong, I like some of the moves they've made so far (Johnson mostly), but I think we should wait until we've given up a substantial amount of our cap space before we credit them for their cap management.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Jovofan

I didn't know a whole lot about him before this thread was started but I absolutely love what I'm hearing about Ryan Johnson. We need more players like him that will go all out to make a play. There's too many softies on our team and our PK will be better with a guy that's willing to take one for the team.

Jovofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Payaso619*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Sorry, where did I exaggerate? Gillis has an offer out to make Sundin the highest paid player in the league. That's more free agent excitement than this city has seen in a decade.
The part where you brought up Quinn, I know about the excitement and all, but I want moves, not just hype, I got that enough last season when we didn't even have cap space to pursue the player. We'll see how everything turns out by tomorrow. I'm probably just tired I've been up since 7am thinking they were going to broadcast it like last year.

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:18 PM
canucksin07

say what you want, but bottom line is you can not afford to have your 4th line be a liability. our 3rd line will be solid for the next little while with kesler and burrows but our 4th line will at the end of the day have to play the 8-12 minutes a game.

if ryan johnson is a good FO guy and blocks a lot of shots as the blues fans have been kind enough to share with us, then it's great. it seems like a decade ago since we've had decent faceoff percentages as a team and our PK took a hit last year with guys that were a little slow (and perhaps then unable to get into shooting lanes) and if by getting johnson we are able to prevent even 1 PPGA per 10 games(either because he wins that extra faceoff or because he gets into that shooting lane when other people can't), that's going to make a huge difference with the amount of 1 goal games we play with luongo

all that being said, we still need to work on the top 6 because they actually play the most minutes...

canucksin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payaso619 View Post
The part where you brought up Quinn
Oh. Guess you don't remember his infamous midnight phonecall to Gretzky?

Old
07-01-2008, 11:20 PM
ahmon

Quote:
It's not a automatic spot but I predict Wellwood to come to camp and earn his spot. Also Raymond will never have the elite vision that Wellwood does have and having Wellwood in the line-up bolsters the Canucks PP significantly.
From the leaf games i've seen wellwood play, i'm not sure how you can say that wellwood's vision is that much better than raymond. I would say wellwood has better stickhandling ability, and 1-on-1 moves.

I'm very high on raymond, i really see this kid becoming another andy macdonald and getting 25-50-75 pts someday.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Payaso619*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
I didn't know a whole lot about him before this thread was started but I absolutely love what I'm hearing about Ryan Johnson. We need more players like him that will go all out to make a play. There's too many softies on our team and our PK will be better with a guy that's willing to take one for the team.
I guess I was quick to prejudge, cause of the fact that I don't know much about Johnson, if you guys are all saying this much positive things about him then I should of thought twice before I did a knee-jerk reaction.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Payaso619*

Quote:
Oh. Guess you don't remember his infamous midnight phonecall to Gretzky?
Yeah, I remember, but I don't know how this situation and what happened before go hand to hand.

Old
Street Hawk

2nd Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
From the leaf games i've seen wellwood play, i'm not sure how you can say that wellwood's vision is that much better than raymond. I would say wellwood has better stickhandling ability, and 1-on-1 moves.

I'm very high on raymond, i really see this kid becoming another andy macdonald and getting 25-50-75 pts someday.
I'd rather have Raymond on the 2nd line. He brings a speed element that the Nucks desperately need on their top 6. Twins are what they are, which is puck cyclers, they're not going to burn anyway with their speed. Wellwood is small, but not fast.

So, whether it's Demitra, Sundin, Hodgson, whomever else upfront, the top 6 still needs an infusion of speed.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shareefruck

Quote:
It's not a automatic spot but I predict Wellwood to come to camp and earn his spot. Also Raymond will never have the elite vision that Wellwood does have and having Wellwood in the line-up bolsters the Canucks PP significantly.
I'm not saying Raymond is anywhere near as skilled, but I'm more confident in him using the skill he does have to the best of his ability than I do in Wellwood effectively using even a fraction of his skill. On top of this inconsistency, he's also pretty close to a liability on the ice that brings next to nothing else at all. They're definitely working with him and hoping he improves, but I don't think we should be pencilling him into our top 6 lineup. Because of all those uncertainties I would MUCH MUCH rather give Raymond a permanent spot than Wellwood one (if it does come down to that).

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Plus Wellwood has a two-way deal (to the best of my knowledge) - that alone you would think would be motivation for him to work (he comes to camp out of shape, he gets sent down to the Moose with one heckuva pay cut [minor league salary]).
Pretty sure he doesn't, as he wasn't waived this past season (excepting where Gillis picked him up) and he's played more than the required number of games.

This was discussed in the FAFF.

I -hope- that I'm wrong, as he's someone that would have use for both the Moose and the Canucks, but it looks like he's on a one-way deal. :/

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Barney Gumble

Quote:
I guess I was quick to prejudge, cause of the fact that I don't know much about Johnson, if you guys are all saying this much positive things about him then I should of thought twice before I did a knee-jerk reaction.
Another thing to consider....assume whoever is in the 2nd center spot gets injured for a period of time....situation is completely different from this past season. Instead of using a career AHL *WINGER* in that #2 center spot (not so much because Kesler can't handle that duty for a period of time - but rather Ritchie couldn't handle 3rd liner center duties) - we now have some options.

Put Wellwood there; put Kesler there....then move up Johnson to the #3 spot.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
What kind of excellent cap management are they doing? Inheriting a team with $20+M in cap space and signing two 4th liners and a waiver wire pickup is 'excellent cap management' ?

Don't get me wrong, I like some of the moves they've made so far (Johnson mostly), but I think we should wait until we've given up a substantial amount of our cap space before we credit them for their cap management.
Excellent cap management by staying away from these ludicrous contracts and plugging in holes with players that possess qualities Canucks were lacking last season at a lower market price. Gillis now has 4 spots to fill with 20 million in cap space which basically indicates he can compete with any team on the market for premium players.

Also, Gillis is acquiring versatile players that maximizes utility on the Canucks roster which means we will not see Jason Jaffary anchoring the second line center position this season in case of injury.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shareefruck

IMO, having Ryan Johnson carry your 4th line is like getting a Talbot, Marchant, Betts, or a Chubarov to carry your 4th line. Maybe not QUITE as good as a guy like Talbot, but this is a VERY VERY good signing for the 4th line.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Rotang

Rotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Yeah, I remember, but I don't know how this situation and what happened before go hand to hand.
Forget it, it was a joke.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotang View Post
Canucks fans then: Suspend him! He's a goon!

Canucks fans today: What a hit! Love it!

Old
07-01-2008, 11:31 PM
DL44

vCash: 139
http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewt...072&highlight=

When i saw he had earned a Selke Trophy vote... i inquired in the post above...
Some great things said about him at the time...

Skates like the wind... aggressive... faceoffs... led the league in shot blocks...
we now have one of the best bottom 6's in the league... and have added the grit we've needed for a couple seasons now...

Last edited by DL44: 07-01-2008 at 11:38 PM.
DL44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Rotang

Quote:

These things happen! Gotta love the intensity!

Rotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:

meh, it was against Ohlund. He's a machine. He's like Chuck Norris - he feels no pain.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:35 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2agingmonk View Post
I'm not saying Raymond is anywhere near as skilled, but I'm more confident in him using the skill he does have to the best of his ability than I do in Wellwood effectively using even a fraction of his skill. On top of this inconsistency, he's also pretty close to a liability on the ice that brings next to nothing else at all. They're definitely working with him and hoping he improves, but I don't think we should be pencilling him into our top 6 lineup. Because of all those uncertainties I would MUCH MUCH rather give Raymond a permanent spot than Wellwood one (if it does come down to that).
I think Canucks can afford to add a one-dimensional offensive player which was sorely lacking last season. If Sundin does indeed center that line, then lets not forget Sundin is capable of anchoring a line on his own and still produce positive results. Raymond is a good player but my judgment on him is that his feet are too quick for his hands at this stage of his career and he does not have the vision that Wellwood does on the power-play which was one of Canucks biggest weakness last season.

Kyle Wellwood is not much of a liability than some people express,
Here is a very in-depth post of what Kyle Wellwood can do with videos that display his ability:
http://forum.canucks.com/index.php?showtopic=203498

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:41 PM
hlrsr

Quote:
Excellent cap management by staying away from these ludicrous contracts and plugging in holes with players that possess qualities Canucks were lacking last season at a lower market price. Gillis now has 4 spots to fill with 20 million in cap space which basically indicates he can compete with any team on the market for premium players.

Also, Gillis is acquiring versatile players that maximizes utility on the Canucks roster which means we will not see Jason Jaffary anchoring the second line center position this season in case of injury.
Could he not have competed with any team on the market for premium players before he signed the 4th liners and Wellwood?

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote