HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks sign Ryan Johnson

Old
07-01-2008, 10:42 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

vCash: 500
This still hasn't been confirmed.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Mizral

Here's how I see it breaking down:

Sedin/Sedin/Pyatt
*****/Sundin (??) / Wellwood
Burrows/Kesler/ *****
Pettinger/Johnson/Hansen

This is how I see it breaking down. Obviously the lineup is not done, there are other forwards who can obviously make the team (Raymond for instance I think will make it), but this is how I'm seeing things so far. The second line is far from built until Sundin signs. Without Sundin, I see the second line taking shape with Demitra.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Shareefruck

Not when you have NO legitimate physicality on your top 6 with only a few spots left. Scoring is a big weakness but so was grit to go along with the scoring. IMO, adding a guy like Wellwood might improve your overall season-end numbers, but he's hardly a guy who will help you much even offensively in big playoff-like games.

Besides, I don't think a playmaker is what this team lacked last season anyways. Mainly it lacked:

1) Goalscoring ability - which Wellwood is not. He has literally the weakest shot in the league.
2) Grit/Net presence - the opposite of what Wellwood is
3) Speed to break into the offensive zone - Wellwood may have impressive puckhandling and vision, but I don't think he's like a Nylander type who can consistently carry the puck into the offensive zone. On top of that he's slow.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
This still hasn't been confirmed.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2422...=headlines_nhl

Just got posted.

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:58 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2agingmonk View Post
Not when you have NO legitimate physicality on your top 6 with only a few spots left. Scoring is a big weakness but so was grit to go along with the scoring. IMO, adding a guy like Wellwood might improve your overall season-end numbers, but he's hardly a guy who will help you much even offensively in big playoff-like games.

Besides, I don't think a playmaker is what this team lacked last season anyways. Mainly it lacked:

1) Goalscoring ability - which Wellwood is not. He has literally the weakest shot in the league.
2) Grit/Net presence - the opposite of what Wellwood is
3) Speed to break into the offensive zone - Wellwood may have impressive puckhandling and vision, but I don't think he's like a Nylander type who can consistently carry the puck into the offensive zone. On top of that he's slow.
Did you not look at the post from the Toronto Maple Leafs fan? He boasts about Wellwood's speed, shot and his drive into the offensive zone carrying the puck. There was a reason why many goals were lacked last season because outside of Henrik Sedin this team had no adequate playmakers to pass to the forwards. There was a reason why I didn't get overly excited everytime Canucks broke into the offensive zone with a 2 on 1 or even a 3 on 1.

Also you state the top 6, which I may add is not molded yet, is soft but do you expect your two scoring lines to be overly physical every shift? As long as the top 6 will drive to the net, play along the boards, and score goals 2 feet away from the goalie then they are doing their job. Also you act as if Raymond is the incredible hulk and would turn Canucks top 6 into a raging beast, I don't think I have seen one player fall so many times on his feet last season on the Canucks roster than Raymond.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
I don't think I have seen one player fall so many times on his feet last season on the Canucks roster than Raymond.
Alex Burrows in 05/06?

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:02 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
Could he not have competed with any team on the market for premium players before he signed the 4th liners and Wellwood?

He is now in a better position and only being able to compete in the market is one aspect of cap management.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:08 PM
rye&ginger

I really like this guy. Always notice his hard work when we have played the Blues. Good upgrade for the PK and 4th line.

IMO you have to have a solid team throughout, not just guys you can 'plug in' as some have mentioned. Either you are NHL material or you are not. A 4th line NHL guy is better than our AHL guys, end of story. Thats how it HAS to be.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:10 PM
hlrsr

Quote:
He is now in a better position and only being able to compete in the market is one aspect of cap management.
.. in a better position by signing 4th liners to "proper" deals, which is generally the case for those types of players.

I just don't see the genius there. Like I said, for myself I'll wait until he actually uses all of the space there to decide how great the management was. He began this day with ability to pursue big names, and if signing 4th liners put him in a better position at all to pursue them, it wasn't by much.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Echoing a lot of others, this is a good kind of under-the-radar signing. Our team was brutal at faceoffs last year and having a guy that can get you the puck off the draw is a huge advantage.

Rotting Corpse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Did you not look at the post from the Toronto Maple Leafs fan? He boasts about Wellwood's speed, shot and his drive into the offensive zone carrying the puck. There was a reason why many goals were lacked last season because outside of Henrik Sedin this team had no adequate playmakers to pass to the forwards. There was a reason why I didn't get overly excited everytime Canucks broke into the offensive zone with a 2 on 1 or even a 3 on 1.

Also you state the top 6, which I may add is not molded yet, is soft but do you expect your two scoring lines to be overly physical every shift? As long as the top 6 will drive to the net, play along the boards, and score goals 2 feet away from the goalie then they are doing their job. Also you act as if Raymond is the incredible hulk and would turn Canucks top 6 into a raging beast, I don't think I have seen one player fall so many times on his feet last season on the Canucks roster than Raymond.
The reason I like Raymond on this team is because he at least addresses ONE major element with his speed while not being embarassingly bad with the others. I don't think Wellwood is a very fast guy at all and his shot IMO isn't very good either. Also, what we were debating regarding Wellwood's effectiveness was in terms of if hypothetically Sundin was signed, in which case alot of what you're talking about can be provided by him. This also only leaves a spot or two with still not even ONE physical-style forward. The only argument I'm making is that if we're building a top 6 around the Sedins, Sundin, and I guess Raymond, you only have a couple spots left to add a guy who can play a physical net-presence game. A spot that we shouldn't waste on Wellwood, IMO.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Canucks fans then: Suspend him! He's a goon!

Canucks fans today: What a hit! Love it!
It was a chicken**** play.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ryan View Post
Echoing a lot of others, this is a good kind of under-the-radar signing. Our team was brutal at faceoffs last year and having a guy that can get you the puck off the draw is a huge advantage.
The only knock I keep hearing is the pricetag. Some people think $1.2mil for a 4th line player is too much. The thing with Johnson is he isn't your typical 4th liner. Johnson will get limited 4th line time but also probably close to 4 minutes a night on the PK as well. Ryan's played a fair bit on the wing so I would imagine late in games when the 4th line gets benched we'll see Johnson play with Burrows and Kesler in a shut down role. It never hurts having 2 quality faceoff men on the ice late in games.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:47 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Oh, THAT Ryan Johnson.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:58 PM
orcatown

Johnson is a bona vide NHL player. Price is probably right for him in the role he will have on the team.

As mentioned he is a total upgrade on Ritchie. Despite what some posters said last year and what Nonis lamely said at his last press conference, having Ritchie on the team last year was a big deal. Ritchie was put in key situations, especially on the PK, and was very harmful to the team. More than this his total inability to get the puck out of his zone broke down any rhythm the team had established.

I know some tried to gloss this over and so did Nonis. But Nonis should have been ashamed of himself for bringing in career minor leaguer like Ritchie. (his only justification being he had played a few good games against the Canucks) At least in Johnson you have player who has track record at the NHL level and has the wheels to play at the NHL level.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Bourdon

Quote:

You know, the knock on Wellwood is his footspeed. If you don't know what to look for when evaluating a player's foot speed, you can easily get confused. Just because a player moves his feet fast does not make him a fast skater, especially a small player. The same thing can be applied to a big player, such as Pyatt.

Wellwood might not have poor skating, but he doesn't have great skating either.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:27 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Johnson is a bona vide NHL player. Price is probably right for him in the role he will have on the team.

As mentioned he is a total upgrade on Ritchie. Despite what some posters said last year and what Nonis lamely said at his last press conference, having Ritchie on the team last year was a big deal. Ritchie was put in key situations, especially on the PK, and was very harmful to the team. More than this his total inability to get the puck out of his zone broke down any rhythm the team had established.

I know some tried to gloss this over and so did Nonis. But Nonis should have been ashamed of himself for bringing in career minor leaguer like Ritchie. (his only justification being he had played a few good games against the Canucks) At least in Johnson you have player who has track record at the NHL level and has the wheels to play at the NHL level.
Exactly ... 4th line center isn't a 'glamour' signing, obviously, but fills a lot of key roles and is an important glue individual on the team. Ritchie was garbage while Johnson represents a very large upgrade.

We don't have as many 3rd/4th liners as people are making out. Rypien and Brown are not NHL players, and Cowan is probably AHL-bound as well.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Rotting Corpse*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Exactly ... 4th line center isn't a 'glamour' signing, obviously, but fills a lot of key roles and is an important glue individual on the team. Ritchie was garbage while Johnson represents a very large upgrade.

We don't have as many 3rd/4th liners as people are making out. Rypien and Brown are not NHL players, and Cowan is probably AHL-bound as well.
Why are you down on Rypien? I think he could stick as a fourth liner in the NHL if not for the glass issues.

Old
07-02-2008, 12:34 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

does this open up Kesler to play a "bit" more of an offensive role? RJ probably becomes the center on the top PK unit... I wonder if that is something AV recommended to Gillis.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Ernie

Chouinard V2.0?

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Rotting Corpse*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
does this open up Kesler to play a "bit" more of an offensive role? RJ probably becomes the center on the top PK unit... I wonder if that is something AV recommended to Gillis.
what the **** is up with this site you keep pimping

Old
07-02-2008, 12:40 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

besides being defensive, no other comparisons. RJ was first in blocked shots last season for forwards. Chouinard was afraid of his own shadow. RJ can skate. Chouinard was a poorer skater than Lee Goren. Don't remember Chouinard's faceoff ability.

In fact, my only memory is him scoring perhaps the slowest breakaway goal ever against Edmonton.

Old
07-02-2008, 12:41 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
what the **** is up with this site you keep pimping
fantasy hockey site that I contribute to. Spamming HF subtly has helped get a bit more traffic.

Old
07-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Well we needed a 4th line centre unless you want Rypien occupying that spot full-tme. The rumour mill almost had me convinced it would be Holik at around $2 million so I look at this as sort of a bargain for the position. I always liked this guy with the Blues after he was claimed off waivers. Totally works his butt off and has a solid face-off percentage. Gotta admit he wasn't even on my radar though as I totally thought a guy like Holik or Yelle would be brought on as the 4th line centre. But I gotta say I do like the signing, and I think it will give us some very solid centre depth. Especially if Sundin signs. Sundin/Sedin/Kesler/Johnson is fine by me.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:45 AM
MS

Quote:
Why are you down on Rypien? I think he could stick as a fourth liner in the NHL if not for the glass issues.
He just can't stay healthy, for starters. And even at that, he doesn't have the defensive polish/PK experience you really want in a player in that role.

I'm not ready to give up on him, but he needs a lot more seasoning IMO. And needs to show more at the AHL level. 3 goals in 40 games between regular season and playoffs last year. He's only played ~100 or so pro games over the past three seasons, and at this point, I'm not ready to pencil him into one of the top 12 spots in this roster.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote