HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opinions After Day 1 of the UFA Season...(merged)

Old
07-01-2008, 10:33 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
okay, so take out unrealistic, expensive forwards and scrubs who don't do anything for our scoring winger problem...that leaves us with Naslund and Avery.

I actually wouldn't mind those two

well there ya go...see that wasnt so hard

07-01-2008, 10:37 PM
lundy

So How do we feel?

So how do we feel after day one? Granted, there are still some forwards out there, but I'm pretty pleased with the signings. The defense is great now, offensively, and pretty defensivley sound. Voros is good man, he's like Avery in my opinion, maybe not so much of an agitator, but he's got his offensive skills and is a better fighter. I think we're gonna like what we see.

Here's how I think about it, this team is going to be better off than it was in the playoffs. Our defense is better, we get the pp qb we desperately needed. Granted, we lose Shanny (fine by me), Straka (fine by me), Avery (not fine by me, but I think Voros could form into an Avery type), and we may still get Jagr.

I think for next year at least (long term contracts are a joke), the team looks pretty sound, if we sign a solid forward.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:38 PM
lundy

I don't know what that meant...but feel free to post how you feel...or moderators feel free to shut this down haha.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:38 PM
FLYLine24*

Im pissed, i'll admit, but I also know there is still plenty of time left for Sather to make it work, so i'm not worried..yet.

Pissed yes, worried, no.

I'm just upset over a few things:
-Redden 6 year deal at 6.5. While i'm happy we signed a sold dman, I am worried his off season turns into a regular thing with him. If thats the case then this signing will look so bad in 3 years when he is struggling and getting paid big bucks.
-Not making Orpik our #1 priority (well it doesnt/didnt seem like it). He was exactly what we needed on the back end and now it looks like he won't be a ranger since we cant afford to spend anymore money on defense and we need offense.
-Disappointed about not getting Rolston, but I understand he went where the better contract was. And i'm glad we didnt give him with the Devs did.
-Disappointed Sather played hardball with Rosy during the season and rejected his 4yr/20million offer but in the end he caved in and gave it to him anyway. Wasted time IMO and we could have been more focused going into July 1st not thinking about Rosy. Not upset over resigning him though.
-I'm fine with signing Voros because that SHOULD mean Hollweg is finally off the team for good
-Disappointed with the signing of Rissmiller because I don't see any reason for him on the team. A kid should have that 3rd or 4th line spot he will take up.
-Disappointed with the signing of the "swedish avery". Is this yet another roster spot that he will take up instead of a kid? I think he will be a complete waste and a joke 4th liner that will not help the team at all offensively.

So as you can see, i am disappointed at the moment. But i'm hoping Sather has much more of his sleeve.

But be sure of this, if he signs garbage to fills holes on our 1st and 2nd line (Satan, Vyborny, Cooke etc) then I will be royally pissed. The team will have no shot at the playoffs and I will let the be known through the whole offseason and season..you can bet on that .

Work your magic Sather.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Speedtrials

The Rangers will make some kind of move. No way they go in next season expecting Gomez, Drury, and the youngsters to score all the goals. I am not the biggest Sather fan, but I am willing to give him more than a day before I consider this off-season a failure.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Im pissed, i'll admit, but I also know there is still plenty of time left for Sather to make it work, so i'm not worried..yet.

Pissed yes, worried, no.

I'm just upset over a few things:
-Redden 6 year deal at 6.5. While i'm happy we signed a sold dman, I am worried his off season turns into a regular thing with him. If thats the case then this signing will look so bad in 3 years when he is struggling and getting paid big bucks.
-Not making Orpik our #1 priority (well it doesnt/didnt seem like it). He was exactly what we needed on the back end and now it looks like he won't be a ranger since we cant afford to spend anymore money on defense and we need offense.
-Disappointed about not getting Rolston, but I understand he went where the better contract was. And i'm glad we didnt give him with the Devs did.
-Disappointed Sather played hardball with Rosy during the season and rejected his 4yr/20million offer but in the end he caved in and gave it to him anyway. Wasted time IMO and we could have been more focused going into July 1st not thinking about Rosy. Not upset over resigning him though.
-I'm fine with signing Voros because that SHOULD mean Hollweg is finally off the team for good
-Disappointed with the signing of Rissmiller because I don't see any reason for him on the team. A kid should have that 3rd or 4th line spot he will take up.
-Disappointed with the signing of the "swedish avery". Is this yet another roster spot that he will take up instead of a kid? I think he will be a complete waste and a joke 4th liner that will not help the team at all offensively.

So as you can see, i am disappointed at the moment. But i'm hoping Sather has much more of his sleeve.

But be sure of this, if he signs garbage to fills holes on our 1st and 2nd line (Satan, Vyborny, Cooke etc) then I will be royally pissed. The team will have no shot at the playoffs and I will let the be known through the whole offseason and season..you can bet on that .

Work your magic Sather.
I feel the same way.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:44 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

-Redden 6 year deal at 6.5. While i'm happy we signed a sold dman, I am worried his off season turns into a regular thing with him.
How many "off" seasons has Redden had? **** last years Sens. That team had its head up its ass.

Redden is a great D man. He is a big upgrade imo. He's responsible in his end, solid and he has O skills as well.

You really wanted Orpik OVER Redden?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:46 PM
TomLaidlaw

I still think letting Avery walk will be a huge mistake. I'm having my own private Irish Wake for Averys NYR career right now. Cheers Sean!!

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:47 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I still think letting Avery walk will be a huge mistake. I'm having my own private Irish Wake for Averys NYR career right now. Cheers Sean!!
If its true he turned down Sathers offer of 3.25 mill than **** him

and Im a fan

Old
07-01-2008, 10:47 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
How many "off" seasons has Redden had? **** last years Sens. That team had its head up its ass.

Redden is a great D man. He is a big upgrade imo. He's responsible in his end, solid and he has O skills as well.

You really wanted Orpik OVER Redden?

Well, again, i'm hoping it was just a one year thing..but you can't just ignore it. He was almost booed outta Ottawa last season and the fans went against him.

Considering salaries, years wanted, and age....yes on the orpik question.

Rosy - Staal
Tyutin - Girardi
Orpik - ???

Would be solid defense. And Lundqvist actually would get protection.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Voros - I'm reserving my judgment on this guy until I get to see him play a little. He seems like a very good replacement for Avery who none of us saw coming. Kudos to Slats for going off the grid a little and finding another potential diamond in the rough.

Rissmiller - He seems like a good signing, however, with so many SJ fans happy to be rid of him, I'm a bit nervous. Hopefully he's a project that Renney can work with.

I'm also a little weary about the fact that SJ fans associate him with "..can't clear the zone."

Vally - Probably the most sensible move today by the Rangers camp. Glad to have him back. Seems like the kind of guy you really want on the bench backing up a guy like Hank.

Redden - I'm thrilled with Redden becoming a Ranger. How long has it been since we had a true #1 d-man in our lineup? He'll be a great mentor for Staal and will provide some much needed leadership on the blue line. The contract terms I'm not thrilled about, but sometimes you have to dig a little deeper to get things done. If (when) he returns to form, people will be calling this deal a bargain.

Rozsival - I've said in the past that I like Rozsival as a #3 guy. Now I can finally be content with him being in that role. However, I think the price is too high for a 2nd pairing guy, even if it is Rozsival. However, I'm very pleased with where it leaves our defense. I imagine we'll see it shift around a bit, probably as a result of a trade, but I have confidence in Slats for a change.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:50 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
I don't know what that meant...but feel free to post how you feel...or moderators feel free to shut this down haha.

To answer your question.....I am feeling a little vulnerable right now.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:51 PM
newyorkrangers11

I don't know about you guys, but the 10 mil a year deal for Sundin to me is BS.

1.) I just don't see a team offering him 10 mil a year for TWO years when he may not come back for the next.

2.) He wants to go to either the Habs, Wings, or Rags... not the.. Nucks.

3.) Ten Million he would jump on in my opinion cause, any of the teams above wouldn't offer him that much. 7.5 at most.

4.) He is going to either the Wings or Rags if you as me because he has a spot practically waiting for him on both.

newyorkrangers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:51 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Maybe Orpik and his agent has made it clear that he doesn't want to play for the Rangers or maybe Orpik is looking for Redden type numbers and Slats doesn't perceive his value as that high.
My point is is that there are many behind the scene factors that we will never know about. And the blanket phrase "Why didn't Sather sign ________ (insert name) seems shortsighted when none of us are there to see what unfolds on the phones or at the negotiating table.

That being said... Bet the house that the Rangers are NOT going into next season with Peter Prucha and Nigel Dawes as their top wingers. Not happening....

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post

I see awful forwards.
yep. I see a club thats going to have a SUPERB defense, and a terrible offense.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:53 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Maybe Orpik and his agent has made it clear that he doesn't want to play for the Rangers or maybe Orpik is looking for Redden type numbers and Slats doesn't perceive his value as that high.
My point is is that there are many behind the scene factors that we will never know about. And the blanket phrase "Why didn't Sather sign ________ (insert name) seems shortsighted when none of us are there to see what unfolds on the phones or at the negotiating table.
Maybe he did, but thats more of a longshot then saying he left all options open and he will take the best deal.

We'll see when he gets signed if he's getting his "Redden numbers". But again, thats reaching since we both know he's not getting anything like that and if he thinks he is, then he won't be playing for anything team next season.

Old
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Well, again, i'm hoping it was just a one year thing..but you can't just ignore it. He was almost booed outta Ottawa last season and the fans went against him.

Considering salaries, years wanted, and age....yes on the orpik question.

Rosy - Staal
Tyutin - Girardi
Orpik - ???

Would be solid defense. And Lundqvist actually would get protection.
I respect your views , but I think you are way over rating Brooks Orpik. He can hit, but he gets beat and he has ZERO offensive skills.

5 years in the NHL he has 4 goals

We've been looking for some scoring, set up umph from the blue line since Leetch left.

Old
Dredden
JT Miller

With the money left over, i believe we should be getting wingers no more defencemen.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:58 PM
newyorkrangers11

Voros
Rissmiller
Gomer
Dru
Dawes
Callahan
Prucha
Korpikosky
Betts
Duby
Sjostrom
and to me 2 or 3 spots to fill

A plummetting offense? No. As many may see it as wishful thinking, it has potential. All that has to happen is our young guns are going to have to produce and show what they can do. It is too early to count out our offense. On paper the Rags last season looked like the team to beat. Shanny Jags, Dru, Gomer, Avery... and we ended up failing in that part of our game.. .Point being you never know what is going to happen so as said before stop WHAAAAING and just have faith in your team and don't count them out so damn soon.

oh and PS: Sather def isn't done.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:01 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Maybe he did, but thats more of a longshot then saying he left all options open and he will take the best deal.

We'll see when he gets signed if he's getting his "Redden numbers". But again, thats reaching since we both know he's not getting anything like that and if he thinks he is, then he won't be playing for anything team next season.
Well thats kind of my point. Is it too far fetched to think that that he told his agent that he'll play for the Pens for 4 million a year (where undoubtedly he has friends and family) for xxxx years but if its the Rangers "I want 5 million plus??

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:04 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
What teams have those guys signed with?
As of today they aren't on our team...and that's all I care about. Plus, we just spent about 14MM on guys who aren't top 6 forwards, so we have that much less to sign them or anyone else with.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:06 PM
newyorkrangers11

if he lets straka jagr shanny and avery all go... someone really ****** ****ing good must come over here to save us, and murder sather.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:12 PM
tlallstar6

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to tlallstar6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
yep. I see a club thats going to have a SUPERB defense, and a terrible offense.
is this going to turn into a season that is similar to the first few months of last season? remember that shutout hank had...yes that one...the one where we lost in a shootout. 1-0

uh oh

tlallstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:18 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO irked at the Michal Roszival re-signing. Just terrible. Basically 5 million of wasted capspace over 4 years! Sather does not know how to get bang for his buck. Why resign a guy you know is mediocre at best defensively and who downright REFUSES to shoot from the point for 5 million a year. That's money we could have given someone else who proves to be more useful to the Rangers. Perhaps a scorer, perhaps Jagr, perhaps some of that could have gone to Sean Avery, whose presence and its correlation to wins does not lie for this team. I mean common man... Ughhhhhhhhhh. And then you have a really good young player like Orpik who after signing Redden is exactly what we need... A stay at home D-man who can clear the crease and destroy people. Who you can't sign now if you want to add some offense to this f-ing team. I would have rather overpaid him than this bum who is completely useless as an offensive d-man and mediocre defensively, not to mention he easily gets pushed around. Oh and he's managed to put goals in his own net in more than one occasion. Damn you Sather. He must have pictures of you in an embarrassing situation or something for you to waste capspace like this.

I didn't see anybody hit a home run yet. The Devils got a little stronger in their top 9, but their defense is still pretty pedestrian. And a lot of people got seriously overpaid. I mean Brian Campbell anyone? Redden got overpaid as well, but I am not pissed at that at all. Finally we have a stabilizing veteran presence back there who has ability and can help our powerplay. People say he's sucked for 2 years but so did the entire Senators defense when it mattered most in big games plus their goalie ever since the big guy left.

Man I really really wanted Orpik. That's the guy I wouldn't have minded to overpay for. That's the kind of player that Lundqvist needs in front of him. It would help him out so much in killing penalties by just destroying the people that screen him so much uncontested. And we all know deflected goals right in his face is one of Lundy's weaknesses.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:18 PM
nyrage

Sather made me feel ill today. Not only do I think he overpaid for both Roszival and Redden, but it's the length of the deals that made me feel despondent.

nyrage is offline   Reply With Quote