HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks sign David Backes to offer sheet; Blues Match

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2008, 10:07 PM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
What a complete waste of time. Not only that, we've alienated St. Louis in future trades/transactions. And we've had some great trades with them in the past.
The Blues management, John Davidson and Larry Pleau, have a great relationship with the Canucks, so don't worry man. We'll deal with other each again, I'm sure.

Too bad for the Canucks you couldn't get Backes. He's a strong player.

Anyway, I'm a Canucks fan and I wish you guys luck next season.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

It's pretty funny how everyone thinks St.Louis would match without question. Aren't a lot of you people the ones that would have walked away from Ryan Kesler and his$1.9mil offer sheet?

If St.Louis didn't think Backes had the skill to play in the top 6 in the next couple years there's a possibility they don't match. It was worth a shot.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:13 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
It's pretty funny how everyone thinks St.Louis would match without question. Aren't a lot of you people the ones that would have walked away from Ryan Kesler and his$1.9mil offer sheet?

If St.Louis didn't think Backes had the skill to play in the top 6 in the next couple years there's a possibility they don't match. It was worth a shot.
It was definitely worth a shot. I thought it was a very reasonable offer sheet. Not like the Vanek/Penner fiascos. I even thought Kesler's offer was too much last year. He'll wind up earning it, but he was sooooo inexperienced that $1.9m seemed exhorbitant at the time.

Anyway, have a great 2008-2009 season.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
The Blues management, John Davidson and Larry Pleau, have a great relationship with the Canucks, so don't worry man. We'll deal with other each again, I'm sure.

Agreed, I don't think this was a really dirty move on Gillis' part. He said he tried to trade for Backes and couldn't work something out so he tried for an offersheet. I'm sure the Blues wanted to try to get Backes signed for less than $2.5M, but they likely would've ended up at something in that area anyway.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post

Well, that's good to hear. We've fleeced you several times and hopefully that will happen again!

As for Kesler, at the time, it was much more than Kesler was worth, plus the cap was about 12-13 million less than is now.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:19 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Agreed, I don't think this was a really dirty move on Gillis' part. He said he tried to trade for Backes and couldn't work something out so he tried for an offersheet. I'm sure the Blues wanted to try to get Backes signed for less than $2.5M, but they likely would've ended up at something in that area anyway.
Definitely! We wanted to keep him for less, but $2.5m is fine. Not dirty at all. Not like last year's "Lowe blows". Gillis is a tough SOB. And he did the right thing by taking a shot at Backes.

To Bubbles: Every team gets fleeced at some point. It's brutal out there.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Sorry to stray this OT, but does this matched offer sheet make anyone else wonder what Doug Wilson slipped into Joe Pavelski's drink that convinced him to sign for $1.625mm per? I think Pavelski needs a new agent.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Rotang

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartnonis View Post
Sorry to stray this OT, but does this matched offer sheet make anyone else wonder what Doug Wilson slipped into Joe Pavelski's drink that convinced him to sign for $1.625mm per? I think Pavelski needs a new agent.
I was stunned when he signed for so little. Will be one of the better bargains in the entire league next season.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartnonis View Post
I was surprised when Pavelski signed for that amount. On a related note, I wonder what the odds are of sending Ryann Clowe an offersheet?

Old
07-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Ajackalit

Quote:
I was surprised when Pavelski signed for that amount. On a related note, I wonder what the odds are of sending Ryann Clowe an offersheet?
If Pavelski hadn't signed for ~ half of his FMV, I'd say quite possible. The sharks are apparently looking at a payroll of around $48mm, so i guess anything is possible.

Old
07-02-2008, 12:46 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:

Not me. I was all for matching Kesler, yet the speed with which St Louis matched, essentially doing a favour to the Canucks after they tried to poach their player, just reinforced what a waste of time this was. If Gillis was confident Backes was going to be a top 6 player, then the offer should have been closer to 4.

This just risks creating friction with potential trading partners. Right or wrong, but look at what the past couple have done.

Old
07-02-2008, 01:39 AM
trbr86

Regarding offer sheets...

What is to stop the Canucks from offering two offer sheets? Let's say, 2.5m for Dan Paille (2nd), and 3.5m for Steve Bernier(1st and 3rd)? Essentially, they'd be tendering their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for both players. Would Buffalo even be able to match both offer sheets if they wanted to?

I suspect at the very least Buffalo maybe stuck with a Sophie's choice and be forced to relinquish one of them.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:04 AM
smileyface

More info on the offer sheet from Andy Strickland:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16023

Quote:
The Vancouver Canucks have had their eye on Blues forward David Backes for several weeks.

Several days ago Vancouver approached St. Louis with a trade offer that would have sent Backes to Vancouver. Itís unclear who the Blues would have received in return but sources say the offer wasnít worth taking seriously.

The same situation occurred on Monday when once again Vancouver GM Mike Gillis phoned St. Louis in an effort to trade for Backes, again St. Louis rejected the offer.

I had originally thought the offer sheet given to Backes caught the Blues completely off guard but after doing some investigating I discovered Vancouver informed St. Louis on Monday that an offer sheet was on the way.

The Blues and Backes have had many discussions over the last several weeks but the two sides were unable to reach an agreement. Backes had every intention of taking the Blues to arbitration if a no agreement was reached by July 5th.

The Blues and the agent for Backes never discussed a contract longer than two years. Itís more than safe to say that if the case was heard before an arbitrator, Backes would have probably been awarded a two year deal totaling somewhere between 3 and 3.5 million dollars.

Obviously a three year contract worth 7.5 million is a surprise to everyone involved here, but thatís what offer sheets do, they pay a player more than the individual is worth. Is Backes worth 2.5 million right now? Obviously not, but again this is part of todayís NHL.

At the end of the day, when the contract expires, there is a decent chance Backes will be worth every bit of the 2.5 million heíll be getting paid.

This is hardly a contract thatís going to kill the Blues financially. In fact Blues Owner Dave Checketts wasted no time in deciding to match the offer. The Blues canít afford to lose Backes for a number of reasons. Heís a valuable player for the Blues moving forward, this kid has plenty of character and money wonít change or affect his motivation to become a complete player.

This contract will put more focus on Backes heading into the season and he will need to find a way to become a more consistent offensive performer.

Please keep in mind that even though Backes likely would have been awarded a two year deal worth 3 to 3.5 million in an arbitration case, this hardly means the Blues should have negotiated a contract just to prevent Vancouver from signing their player to an offer sheet. It was going to take a deal in the neighborhood of $2 million per season to make that happen and the Blues felt this number was too high.

At the end of the day it didnít matter, Backes still got his money after St. Louis was forced to give it to him.

Scott Mellanby who is a full-time St. Louis resident wasted little time in making his presence felt as a Canucks employee. Mellanby watches plenty of Blues hockey and even contacted former Blues players in an effort to gather information about Backes.

Ryan Johnson wasnít a bad plan B for Mellanby and the Canucks. As I have already reported Johnsonís deal is worth 2.4 million over two seasons.

The Blues must find a way to replace a whole lot of character they've lost inside the dressing room. With Doug Weight, Bryce Salvador, Jamal Mayers, and now Ryan Johnson leaving the club, that's a boatload of experience and leadership leaving town.

Old
07-02-2008, 11:13 AM
PecaFan

Quote:
Um, no actually.

If you are a knowledgeable fan, it was extremely obvious that the Canucks would match Kesler, just as it was that St. Louis would match Backes.

Closed Thread