HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

No Hossa decision

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Homerocks*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Edmonton? Pittsburgh is on the verge of a dynasty and Hossa is going to a non playoff team because he was insulted at $7 million a year offered to him by Pittsburgh. If I had the chance to play with 66% of the 3 best players in the NHL I wouldnt need a gun held to my head. Does he truly NOT want to win? Because this is what I get from that type of thinking. Even with Hossa Edmonton doesnt have a snowballs chance in hell at winning anything. DOnt believe me? Just check to see how well Hossa did with Kovalchuk in Atlanta. All of the sudden Hossa is a future Hall of Famer now in his eyes?
This is pretty much what it will come down to for Hossa. On one end of the spectrum, there is a lot of money, on the other end, there is winning.

As previously mentioned, he did entertain an offer from Detriot, which would be much lower than what he could get from a bottom feeder with a lot of cap space. Perhaps this does means he is looking to win at the cost of salary.

On the other hand, he didn't accept either Detriot's sub-7 mil or Pittsburgh's 7 mil and change offer so money is still an issue.

Not to put down the Oilers, but if Hossa is serious about playing for a contender, I don't see any way that he signs with Edmonton. Montreal or Pittsburgh is a different story.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I'm not sure who actually called Marian; Smid, and Hemsky are both Czechs, and Visnovsky is still in shock about being traded 24 hours before his NTC kicking in.
IIRC Czech, and Slovak are somewhat similiar languages.

It will be announced tomorrow at Darryl Katz's presser.

Hossa-Horcoff-Hemsky

The Slovak and Czech languages are ''different''. The languages have different vocabularies and the grammar is slightly different, too. But the older people who grew up in 'Czechoslovakia' don't have a problem understanding each other. They also understand Russian very well. That's why you'll see Sykora and Hossa speaking Russian to Malkin. And Chara is very fluent in Russia. It's the younger people that would have a little problem since they we're raised on a single lanaguage. But to answer your question, they'd understand each other. But in reality, they probably spoke in English.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:04 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Let's see...

Montreal : Tanguay, Kovalev, Koivu, Higgins, Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Markov, Komisarek, Price, Hamrlik

Detroit : Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Holmstrom, Franzen, Filppula, Kronwall

Pittsburgh : Malkin, Crosby, Staal, Gonchar, Whitney, Fleury, Sykora

Edmonton : Hemsky, Horcoff, Cole, Penner, Gagner, Cogliano, Souray, Vishnovski

One of these group is way behind the others. Souray is poor on D-Zone, Garon is still a big question mark, Cole coming out of a harder season, Penner is all but proved, Vishnovski coming out a hard season...

3 of these teams are contender... The Oilers? Not so much. Plus the city is boring as hell...

My take is that Hossa is using them to increase the bidding... If he wants to win he will not go there.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Homerocks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
My take is that Hossa is using them to increase the bidding... If he wants to win he will not go there.
Yup. He is playing his cards well. All of this speculation will only help.

I see him wearing black and gold next season or learning to speak a little French.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:08 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerocks View Post
Yup. He is playing his cards well. All of this speculation will only help.

I see him wearing black and gold next season or learning to speak a little French.
I do as well... I think they are the two finalists...

Old
07-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Same here, and the Pens are gonna be out of the picture once they sign Jagr.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Homerocks*

Quote:
I only hope he will not sign with the latter of my two predictions!

Old
07-01-2008, 11:14 PM
HabsoluteFate

If Edmonton ends up with Hossa its because none of the other teams are willing to match the amount or come close to matching it...

If your getting offered the same amount of money what team would you choose? Probably the team where:

a) You have a good chance of winning the stanley cup
b) Lots of ice time although at that amount you better get ice time no matter where you sign
c) Location...if it came down to location then it would be in Florida
d) Taxes

Taxes is where Edmonton has an advantage over a team like Montreal. I cant speak for the other cities though

Old
07-01-2008, 11:14 PM
redsox18

Quote:
3 of these teams are contender... The Oilers? Not so much. Plus the city is boring as hell...

Oh ya, have you ever been to Edmonton?! I find it hard to take someone serious who's name is "HamrlikTheStud." I also find it funny how other people find ways to bash Edmonton or other teams just because their favorite team is going to lose out on a prized free agent.

Besides while Montreal may be more fun, players in Alberta don't have to pay taxes out their a**es! That's something Montreal has working against it and always will, so while you can deny it all you want, you should probably just accept it.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:17 PM
hibbleton

I'll eat my hat if Hossa signs in Detroit - that is, if the Oilers are truly offering $9 million/season for 7 years as is being reported. There's just no way he throws that much money out the window.

Would you?

Old
07-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Soundwave

I dunno I think Hossa-Hemsky-Gagner-Horcoff-Cole-Cogliano-Nilsson-Brule-Visnovsky-Gilbert-Souray-Smid-Grebeshkov ... is a pretty damn talented core. You still have good role player vets like Pisani, Moreau, and Staois also. The powerplay would absolutely eat other teams alive too.

They also have prospects like Schremp, Eberle, Petry, Peckham, and Chorney in the mix.

Talent wise honestly that's more than the Oilers had in 2006 when they went to game 7 of SCF.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Homerocks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate View Post
If Edmonton ends up with Hossa its because none of the other teams are willing to match the amount or come close to matching it...

If your getting offered the same amount of money what team would you choose? Probably the team where:

a) You have a good chance of winning the stanley cup
b) Lots of ice time although at that amount you better get ice time no matter where you sign
c) Location...if it came down to location then it would be in Florida
d) Taxes

Taxes is where Edmonton has an advantage over a team like Montreal. I cant speak for the other cities though
I also wonder if he takes e) into consideration:

e)Ego...puting up more points than you ever have due to playing on a line with Crosby.

I am a Pen's fan, but objectively speaking, I believe that Hossa will have by far his best numbers playing with Crosby. They played very well together once they eventually were both healthy. Crosby turns 3rd and 4th liners into 40+ point producers. Imagine a little chemistry between hossa and crosby.

I woudl imagine that playing primo ice time with arguably the best player in the world has to be a factor.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Homerocks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I dunno I think Hossa-Hemsky-Gagner-Horcoff-Cole-Cogliano-Nilsson-Brule-Visnovsky-Gilbert-Souray ... is a pretty damn talented core. You still have good role player vets like Pisani, Moreau, and Staois also.

They also have prospects like Schremp, Eberle, Petry, Peckham, and Chorney in the mix.

Talent wise honestly that's more than the Oilers had in 2006 when they went to game 7 of SCF.
I don't disagree that Edmonton could do very well, but they still only have a prospectively solid core. Until they prove themselves, they are still a team that had very poor seasons over the past two years.

The Pens and Habs proved that they are contenders this past year. Does that mean much for 08-09? Maybe, maybe not.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:27 PM
paulytits

i wanted to see hossa in a devils uniform so bad!

Old
07-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Spawn

Quote:
I don't disagree that Edmonton could do very well, but they still only have a prospectively solid core. Until they prove themselves, they are still a team that had very poor seasons over the past two years.
they didn't really have a poor last season though. They missed the playoffs yes, but only by 2 games (1 if they had beaten Nashville once). Not bad considering they were the youngest team in the league and top 5 in games lost to injuries (very important guys too)

Old
07-01-2008, 11:29 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

It will be interesting to see. In my opinion, balance is a most important trait in the salary cap world - so I am not sure I want Hossa necessarily. It would be nice to prove people wrong about the Edmonton stigma (even though Lowe signed more free agents last year than anyone else in the Northwest division).

Old
07-01-2008, 11:32 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:

The Pens and Habs proved that they are contenders this past year. Does that mean much for 08-09? Maybe, maybe not.
I agree... And The Oilers are not at Detroit's level, nor at Montreal's level or Pitts' level.

Quote:
Oh ya, have you ever been to Edmonton?! I find it hard to take someone serious who's name is "HamrlikTheStud." I also find it funny how other people find ways to bash Edmonton or other teams just because their favorite team is going to lose out on a prized free agent.

Besides while Montreal may be more fun, players in Alberta don't have to pay taxes out their a**es! That's something Montreal has working against it and always will, so while you can deny it all you want, you should probably just accept it.
Thanks...

As for HamrlikTheStud as my nickname, you have not watched him play this past year. If so, you would perfectly understand why I and all Habs fans call him a stud.

And for taxes, keep in mind that the guy has the choice to sign in Pittsburgh to play with Crosby/Malkin, OR in Montreal, in the 100th anniversary of the franchise. This year is gonna be awesome in Montreal, an historic year, with a lot of talent loaded and with a team who showed a lot of promise last year... and who didn't have to count on shootouts to pass the 80 points bar.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Homerocks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
they didn't really have a poor last season though. They missed the playoffs yes, but only by 2 games (1 if they had beaten Nashville once). Not bad considering they were the youngest team in the league and top 5 in games lost to injuries (very important guys too)
Sorry. I meant poor in terms of being a contender. I didn't mean poor as in doing their best to impersonate tampa bay . I'm hoping no lighting fans read this. I was speaking relatively to their season when they made it to the SCF.

I do see a better future for Edmonton.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:39 PM
frag2

Quote:
I agree... And The Oilers are not at Detroit's level, nor at Montreal's level or Pitts' level.

Thanks...

As for HamrlikTheStud as my nickname, you have not watched him play this past year. If so, you would perfectly understand why I and all Habs fans call him a stud.

And for taxes, keep in mind that the guy has the choice to sign in Pittsburgh to play with Crosby/Malkin, OR in Montreal, in the 100th anniversary of the franchise. This year is gonna be awesome in Montreal, an historic year, with a lot of talent loaded and with a team who showed a lot of promise last year... and who didn't have to count on shootouts to pass the 80 points bar.
Dude. You lose all points if you think that is a good reason to sign in Montreal.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Spawn

Its being reported out of Edmonton that the Lowe/Katz/Winter had a meeting tonight which may still be going on.

Old
HuMz

vCash: 50
Well I don't think Hossa makes us a contender, it definitely helps solidify a playoff spot at least and as we've seen the last couple years anythings possible come postseason.

You can bet Hossa knows were not on even close to the same level as Detroit or Pittsburgh, but we also have a good upbringing of young talent and a chance for him to be the go-to guy and the star where as in either Detroit & Pittsburg he could be overshadowed a bit. (To montreals credit he would be the go-to guy there as well) I've also heard that he enjoys playing in Canada which might even narrow it down between Edmonton and Montreal for his final decision.

Old
Wheatking

I don't think people should take it personally when it's said that the Wings, Canadiens and Penguins have better teams. It's true....they do. If Hossa signs with the Oilers it's because of the money and only the money...and I'm cool with that.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:42 PM
hibbleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I don't think people should take it personally when it's said that the Wings, Canadiens and Penguins have better teams. It's true....they do. If Hossa signs with the Oilers it's because of the money and only the money...and I'm cool with that.
Hey, me too I wouldn't blame the guy for wanting to cash out. In the same situation, I'd probably do that myself.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Homerocks*

Quote:
OR in Montreal, in the 100th anniversary of the franchise. This year is gonna be awesome in Montreal, an historic year
Oh boy. It looks like I'll be making some trips across the border this year.

Old
07-01-2008, 11:43 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
I also wonder if he takes e) into consideration:

e)Ego...puting up more points than you ever have due to playing on a line with Crosby.

I am a Pen's fan, but objectively speaking, I believe that Hossa will have by far his best numbers playing with Crosby. They played very well together once they eventually were both healthy. Crosby turns 3rd and 4th liners into 40+ point producers. Imagine a little chemistry between hossa and crosby.

I would imagine that playing primo ice time with arguably the best player in the world has to be a factor.
I agree....i'm sure playing with a player like Crosby is more fun than most other centers in the league. They also have Malkin and Staal to boot.

If it comes down that all 3 teams are willing to pay the same amount i would think he would pick teams in the following order:

Pittsburgh
Montreal
Edmonton

I left out Detroit because apparently they dont want to give anymore than Datsyuk to anyone they sign and I'm sure Hossa will get more than 7 Million

Having said that perhaps he wants more ice time...with the quality of players in Pittsburgh would he get as much icetime as in either Montreal or Edmonton...

Closed Thread