HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole, perfect for the third line.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:44 AM
phi1086

vCash: 500
Cole, perfect for the third line.

I spend hours everyday reading this board, but never post; threads always resort to name calling, **** measuring, etc. But here it goes.
I know that Cole may be regarded as a top six winger, I personally agree with Darren Pang; that Cole is best suited for the third line.

If the Kid line doesn't slip, I know that the odds are that they will to some extent, then there is no real reason to separate them. Penner's speed, or lack there of, is not suited for a shut down role at all and the top unit's chemistry last year was obvious; so I think Cole is the obvious choice.

He is quick out of the corner's and is very responsible defensively. He also is a banger, perfect to match up against the other team's top forwards. He will still draw in on one of the top two powerplay units, so his goals will come; and furthermore, having a third line that can score is what would separate us from the rest of the northwest.
Secondly, I think Brodz time for 3rd line duty is here; that doesn't mean we cut Moreau's ice time, but he can concentrate on PK.

Penner Horcoff Hemsky
Rowbert Cogliano Gagner
Cole Brodziak Pisani
Moreau Brule Stortini/Pouliot

I just think this is a much more balanced line-up, with three lines that can score and a fourth line with a great vet presence. Camp, preseason, and inter-squads will clear this up. What do you think?

phi1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:57 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Have fun re-signing him next year, he will be gone July 1st 2009 if he is pencilled in as a 3rd liner on opening day. At this point he is better than Penner, so I really think he takes that spot on the top line, he'd also compliment Hemsky more as he has more natural offensive ability and takes the body.

If Hossa actually signs, I'd try to create 3 dangerous scoring lines (assuming no other forwards get moved.)

Cole-Gagner-Hossa
Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Nilsson-Cogliano-Pisani
Moreau-Brodziak-Pouliot
Stortini/Reasoner/Schremp/Brule

Last edited by Mowzie: 07-02-2008 at 03:03 AM.
Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:58 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Have fun re-signing him next year. At this point he is better than Penner, so I really think he takes that spot on the top line, he'd also compliment Hemsky more as he has more natural offensive ability and takes the body.
Yep...Cole on the first line...Penner on the second.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:03 AM
Clownpipe*
Whitney Smash!

I could see a few different combos being successful, but I would still put him up top with Horc and Hemmer if we don't land anyone else. That top line would be blazing fast and the guy is a gritty, proven 30g scorer who's handled the tough minutes in the past. I think Penner would be better suited playing softer minutes and creating space for Gagner and Nilsson on the 2nd line.

Clownpipe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:06 AM
Fan 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi1086 View Post
Penner Horcoff Hemsky
Rowbert Cogliano Gagner
Cole Brodziak Pisani
Moreau Brule Stortini/Pouliot
I agree with what you are saying, I also agree that Cole could serve greatly on the third line, as long as the kids play well again. However I like to imagine the team adding a player named Hossa. Even with Hossa on the squad I still believe the Oilers would do great putting Cole on the third line, imagine this with me.

Penner - Horcoff - Hemsky
Cogliano - Gagner - Hossa
Cole - Broziak - Nilsson
Moreau - Brule - Pisani/Stortini/Pouliot

Also give Schremp a chance to make that fourth line to give it a real creative offensive punch. Personally if we do sign Hossa and have to say good-bye to some salary I would have to say we lose Roloson with one of Pisani or Staios. But take a look at that line up, we know the first line can produce, we saw chemistry from them when they were actually together last year. The second line would be equally amazing with the superstardome of Hossa mixed in with a future star in Gagner and Cogliano's incredible speed. Our third line would not lack offensive talent but would also be very defensively sound when you consider how defensively responsible all three can be. Our fourth line would serve as an energy line than could also shut down, especially if Schremp brought that extra offensive burst. Taking a look at that offensive line up right there I think we would have to be considered one of the most dangerous offenses in the league.

Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:07 AM
phi1086

I just dont think you can insert players arbitrarily and expect production and chemistry. Although Penner and Gagner would match up well speed wise.

Cole is simply not guaranteed a certain spot at this point, camp will shed some light. We have so many different looks, thats what will make us successful.

phi1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:16 AM
voxel

I'd keep Cogliano and Nilsson on the same line at all costs

Cole-Horcoff-Hemsky
Cogliano-Gagner-Nilsson (speedy)
Penner-Pouliot-Pisani (skillled grinders)
Moreau-Reasoner-Brodziak (energy line)
Schremp

If Hossa signed:

Cole-Horcoff-Hossa
Penner-Gagner-Hemsky (big body + elite passers)
Cogliano-Pouliot-Nilsson (speed + elite passers)
Moreau-Brodziak-Pisani (energy line)
Reasoner

Ideally Glencross gets signed if Hossa doesn't.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:22 AM
VelvetJones

A 4 million $ 4th liner?

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:39 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
yeah, Penner's spot cant be taken because the 40 points of chemistry just cant be topped haha

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:55 AM
enthropi

Sure, Cole is perfect for the third line. That's because he's ideal for the 1st or 2nd line, that's why... I think Lowe said himself that the reason he traded Torres was because he would have LESS ice time with Cole here and that would be a bad use of an asset (read: overpaid 3rd/4th liner), so I don't think he's moving down from top 6.

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:43 AM
alphahelix

cole reminds me of smyth in that he is quick/effective in cleaning up the garbage in front of the net... seems decent at tipping, screening etc... but he is faster, has a better shot and a better checker. smyth may be more tenacious, better playmaker, and a few other things.. but I think Cole will be a good fit.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 05:30 AM
Ganz
Dibs

vCash: 67
I found this on the Oilers website:

http://oilers.nhl.com/roster/depth.htm

But IF we get Hossa my lines are:

Cole - Horcoff - Hemsky
Penner - Gagner - Hossa
Nilsson - Cogliano - Brule
Moreau - Brodziak - Pisani

Souray - Visnovsky
Grebeshkov - Gilbert
Staios - Smid

Last edited by Ganz: 07-02-2008 at 06:42 AM.
Ganz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:08 AM
Nail and Nuge

Cole on the third line?

Crazy talk! No way a guy getting paid 4 mill with a big body and scoring touch plays on our third line!

No possible way that come start of the 08/09 season our left side on the first 2 lines does not read Cole-Penner or Penner-Cole.

No way.

Zilch.

Nada.

umm... 0.

Nail and Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:33 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian Oiler View Post
Cole on the third line?

Crazy talk! No way a guy getting paid 4 mill with a big body and scoring touch plays on our third line!

No possible way that come start of the 08/09 season our left side on the first 2 lines does not read Cole-Penner or Penner-Cole.

No way.

Zilch.

Nada.

umm... 0.
Totally agree.

Oilfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:37 AM
JoeHockey

Call me crazy but I think Lowe traded Joni for a guy to play with Hemsky, not for a 3rd liner that is UFA in a yr.

JoeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:15 AM
17isGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi1086 View Post
I just think this is a much more balanced line-up, with three lines that can score and a fourth line with a great vet presence. Camp, preseason, and inter-squads will clear this up. What do you think?
You're absolutely correct. When the first line came together in Dec/Jam, Penner was scoring at a 35 goal pace, Horcoff a 30 goal and PPG pace, and, well, Hemmer is Hemmer. Given the third line - this line is never taking the toughs.

The second line should absolutely crush soft competition and improve through out the year.

That third line that you, and others in the Oilers blogworld, have proposed would be a super outscore line. It would be a fantastic evens line that would soak up the tough minutes and still pot 50 goals. It would also be a nightmare for opposing coaches to match. Cole - Brodizak - Pisani is the kind of line that slams the door on people all year and delivers regularly and come playoff time is the line that dominates series.

Of course, should Penner - Horcoff - Hemmer not find that December / January chemistry, you can always break it - put Cole up there and readjust. But your instincts are spot on here to begin the season.

17isGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Oilerdiehard

Darren Pang is one of the more clueless hockey guys on tv. He is kind of likeable for his energy but very clueless IMO. Having NHL CI in the states and seeing Coyotes tv broadcasts he says some of goofiest things and does not think before he speaks quite often.

So I would not take his 3rd line comment very seriously.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:26 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Darren Pang is one of the more clueless hockey guys on tv. He is kind of likeable for his energy but very clueless IMO. Having NHL CI in the states and seeing Coyotes tv broadcasts he says some of goofiest things and does not think before he speaks quite often.

So I would not take his 3rd line comment very seriously.
I heard it too just before I left for the day to enjoy Canada Day and it was funny. Lowe didn't get Cole to play on the third line.

He talked about wanting to land another top 6 forward. He will be on the top two lines.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:34 AM
rigger

No chance. Cole is a perfect player for Gagner. He is big, can intimidate people, protect the kids and score 35 goals in 80 games with a playmaker like Gagner and Nilsson.

Hossa, if signed would need to play with Hemsky, just make it work.

Hemsky - Horcoff/Gagner - Hossa
Cole - Gagner/Horcoff - Nilsson

I don't think it matters who's in between H&H they will get points no matter but with their dynamic you want someone who is relentless on the puck who will just go and get it no matter how or where it is, just get the puck and give it to one of them, Horcoff seems like he would do that best, especially if you tell him that's his job, he is very coachable.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:38 AM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
I heard it too just before I left for the day to enjoy Canada Day and it was funny. Lowe didn't get Cole to play on the third line.

He talked about wanting to land another top 6 forward. He will be on the top two lines.
No kidding, he's mentioned that for the past 2 years. And used that exact wording. People out there don't listen to western media.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:39 AM
foshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganz View Post
I found this on the Oilers website:

http://oilers.nhl.com/roster/depth.htm

But IF we get Hossa my lines are:

Cole - Horcoff - Hemsky
Penner - Gagner - Hossa
Nilsson - Cogliano - Brule
Moreau - Brodziak - Pisani

Souray - Visnovsky
Grebeshkov - Gilbert
Staios - Smid
And how do you fit in Hossa's salary. A forward HAS to be moved. My guess is Pisani. That'll clear up 2.5 plus Roli's 3.6.

foshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:46 AM
OF17

Cole is a perfect fit for Hemsky. Super fast and quite skilled, the two of them could be dynamite together. If we do get Hossa, I don't think that he should play with Hemsky though, due to a number of reasons:

1) Two right wings don't make a left.
2) Having two "first" lines is extremely valuable, as one of them is facing non-checking lines at all times.
3) This would allow Gagner to grow chemistry with Hossa, a guy he would likely play with for a long time, while Horcoff and Hemsky continue with their magical chemistry.
4) Imagine how exciting having two lines on which every player could conceivably score 60-70+ points would be.
5) We could give Cogs more time checking top opposition, which will be good for his development as a two-way guy. With Gagner and Nilsson on his line, that wouldn't have been too good of an idea.

OF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:59 AM
McOkMcgoMcoil

If the team doesn't change (which is a big If), I actually like the following lines.

Cole-Gagner-Hemsky
Penner-Cogs-Nilson
Moreau-Horc-Pisani
Brule/?-Brodz-Stortini

I really like these lines, the thing is the 3rd line would be almost the first line, logging the most minutes and playing all the tough mins, it would be the best checking line in hockey and would be treated as more of a first line. Then let the first two lines run and gun. I would love to see it.

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Ice Whole

If we sign Hossa, I would pick this to be our line.

Hemsky-Horcoff-Hossa
Penner-Gagner-Cole
Nilsson-Cogs-Pisani
Moreau-Brodz- Brule/Schremp

The Kid line will have to be broken up no matter what. I personally dont want to keep Moreau as our captain since we all know he will be played on the 4th line and I want to trade him since he is taking 2 mill. I would also want to trade Pisani since he is taking 2.5 mill as our 3rd liner. I would prefer to bring in someone more tougher and with a cheaper salary for both players.

Ice Whole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:39 AM
McOkMcgoMcoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
If we sign Hossa, I would pick this to be our line.

Hemsky-Horcoff-Hossa
Penner-Gagner-Cole
Nilsson-Cogs-Pisani
Moreau-Brodz- Brule/Schremp

The Kid line will have to be broken up no matter what. I personally dont want to keep Moreau as our captain since we all know he will be played on the 4th line and I want to trade him since he is taking 2 mill. I would also want to trade Pisani since he is taking 2.5 mill as our 3rd liner. I would prefer to bring in someone more tougher and with a cheaper salary for both players.
If we don't have to lose some one up front. then

Cole-Horc-Hossa
Penner-Gags-Hemsky
Nilson-Cogs-Pisani
Moreau-Brodz-Brule

Those would be amazing lines, again though, Some one could be gone to free up salery.

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote