HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What is your plan of action for tomorrow?

Old
07-02-2008, 06:24 AM
gmanwrx

vCash: 500
with 9 million to spend,

pavol demitra & vermette....

if the rangers dont sign one of the top three, sundin, hossa or jagr

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:30 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Today should pan out to be an interesting day. The team (IMO), before yesterday, had 3 issues that needed to be addressed:

1.) Defense (Skill, PP QB and experience)
2.) Scoring on the wing
3.) Size

Those are ordered, imo again, on how important they are. The Rangers addressed all of #1 and #3. Today they should be going hard after #2, but in order to do so a trade has to be made imo.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:34 AM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Today should pan out to be an interesting day. The team (IMO), before yesterday, had 3 issues that needed to be addressed:

1.) Defense (Skill, PP QB and experience)
2.) Scoring on the wing
3.) Size

Those are ordered, imo again, on how important they are. The Rangers addressed all of #1 and #3. Today they should be going hard after #2, but in order to do so a trade has to be made imo.
1.) Defense (Skill, PP QB and experience)--Check
2.) Scoring on the wing
3.) Size--Check

I think your post right now is right on the mark. For Scoring on the wing they should waive backman to gain more Cap room. Sign Jagr, sign Naslund, then sign maybe Satan, Re-sign Shanny, or Nagy.

Ultimatly you'd end up with

Naslund-Dubinsky-JJ
Nagy/Satan-Gomez-Dawes
Korpedo-Drury-Callahan
Voros-Betts-Rissmiller/Jamtin
Orr

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:47 AM
Avy*

Jagr gone. Bardin gave today big interview where he said that Jagr in Omsk its done deal.

Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:51 AM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
Jagr gone. Bardin gave today big interview where he said that Jagr in Omsk its done deal.
link or it didnt happen

Old
07-02-2008, 06:57 AM
SML

I don't know, but for some reason I'm not worried about our offense. Hell, we had times last season where we couldn't score WITH Jagr, Straka, Shanahan, etc. I've watched far too many 5 on 3 Powerplays where there isn't even a shot on goal for half the time. It's not like we were the 83 Oilers with those guys, how much worse can it get? What I like about the way the lineup looks is there's alot of youth. Alot of hustle. Alot of guys who still have the will and the energy to go HARD to the net and open things up. I've always said that in order for young players to truly succeed, there has to be one main thing: opportunity. Not scrap minutes when your real star is in the penalty box or getting a skate fixed or getting stiches, but real honest to God opportunity. Renney will lean on veterans when he can, he's proved that. If there's not those veteran crutches to lean on, he's got no choice but to go with those kids and live with the results. I think they'll surprise us. They are some good players. We're going to be a strong defensive team that has to transition well and capitalize on it's chances. What's the worst thing that can happen? "With the first pick in the draft, the NY Rangers are proud to select... John Tavares."

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
link or it didnt happen
http://allhockey.ru/news/32822/

Some interesting stuff

Said Jagr only want to "feel" this new for him role of FA but contract already on the table. He only need to sign but all points, bonuses and stuff is already done with him and his agent Zdenek.

Said Jagr was very gentle and humble and even wanted to reject some bonuses in contract.

Old
07-02-2008, 07:04 AM
TUQ

Quote:
link or it didnt happen

Well, for what it is worth, here is an article in today news where bardin stated that the contract with jagr is done (i.e. the terms of the contract) and bardin now awaits Jagr's decision.

http://hokej.cz/index.php?view=clanek&lng=CZ&id=39564

TUQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUQ View Post
Well, for what it is worth, here is an article in today news where bardin stated that the contract with jagr is done (i.e. the terms of the contract) and bardin now awaits Jagr's decision.

That doesn't mean anything though, he was offered a contract like a week ago as well I believe. Being offered a contract doesn't mean he's gone, although I hope he signs it.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:09 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

With Ranger Fans, Sather and the rest of the front office can't win.

fans demand power play qb, sather signs one -- fans complain
we bolster the D, fans comlain where's the O?
fans want to play the kids, then complain that there's no veteran scoring

Now I'm not saying all the moves are perfect, but i don't presume to know what's going on in sather's head. who knows what other negotiations are going on. maybe we were close on signing some other players, like rolston, maybe some other teams out there were offering redden similar money, like dallas and san jose.

all will be revealed by opening night

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Kostik

Quote:

Some interesting stuff

Said Jagr only want to "feel" this new for him role of FA but contract already on the table. He only need to sign but all points, bonuses and stuff is already done with him and his agent Zdenek.

Said Jagr was very gentle and humble and even wanted to reject some bonuses in contract.
Well, your first reply here in this thread was quite misleading.
Jagr has only offer from Omsk on the table.
Now he is waiting for NHL clubs if they will be interested in him.
NHL is still priority numero uno for JJ.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUQ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy

Some interesting stuff

does not mean he signed it, so your post was very misleading, you should edit it and say Bardin made an offer to JJ.

Old
07-02-2008, 07:24 AM
gmanwrx

i really didnt want to see jagr leave,

but the team is based around drury & gomez now!!

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Avy*

Ok, Jagr almost gone (a1).

Old
07-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Ok, Jagr almost gone (a1).
haha, i can say Hossa is going to sign with Pittsburgh or Edmonton(BGG1)

it would still mean the same thing.

Old
07-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Do you think maybe the Rangers are trying to make a deal then sign Orpik....can be a posibility? The Rangers are probably the one team where you cant predict what they'll do next, its either a good thing or a bad thing....hopfully its a good thing (which i think would be Naslund, and JJ).
I think the crazy reality is that they are going to try and go crazy with a Hossa signing.........I can't see that happening but ya never know

I really have no clue the mind set..........their are ways to clear salary that are obvious with Backman and 4th liners like Orr and Hollweg they have no use for

I really do not want to see Tyutin dealt but it won't surprise me now

I think ALL Ranger fans would of been happy with Redden coming in and Rozi going..........even if that was in favor of Orpik

and then using some cash upfront

It's a given at this point that Drury is on the Right Wing of Gomez

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
1.) Defense (Skill, PP QB and experience)--Check
2.) Scoring on the wing
3.) Size--Check

I think your post right now is right on the mark. For Scoring on the wing they should waive backman to gain more Cap room. Sign Jagr, sign Naslund, then sign maybe Satan, Re-sign Shanny, or Nagy.

Ultimatly you'd end up with

Naslund-Dubinsky-JJ
Nagy/Satan-Gomez-Dawes
Korpedo-Drury-Callahan
Voros-Betts-Rissmiller/Jamtin
Orr
I am telling ya............Drury will be Gomez' RW this yr

I agree with Satan coming over..............other names like Nagy, Fedotenko make sense too

Old
07-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Avy*

Quote:
haha, i can say Hossa is going to sign with Pittsburgh or Edmonton(BGG1)

it would still mean the same thing.
I think if player x spent whole week discussin contract with other team GM and didn't linked with any NHL team and his current team GM said he can do whatever he want AND he gave a bit controversial interview i think this player maybe gone.

Old
07-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I think the crazy reality is that they are going to try and go crazy with a Hossa signing.........I can't see that happening but ya never know

I really have no clue the mind set..........their are ways to clear salary that are obvious with Backman and 4th liners like Orr and Hollweg they have no use for

I really do not want to see Tyutin dealt but it won't surprise me now

I think ALL Ranger fans would of been happy with Redden coming in and Rozi going..........even if that was in favor of Orpik

and then using some cash upfront

It's a given at this point that Drury is on the Right Wing of Gomez
i wouldnt i think Rozsival is a very skillful defensman and wouldnt want to lose him just for some inconsistant bruiser.

Old
07-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I don't think they have that much money left. did you include the Shanahan and Jagr dead cap space?

for me, Backman has to be gone. sign a bargain-bin free agent physical d-man like Montador or Sean Hill.

and there's not much room up front so hopefully they can sign either Sundin or Jagr for around 6.5. failing that, hope for rain. either way, we'll be incredibly thin up front.
I agree bring Montador in........move Backman, Orr and Hollweg which is 3.5 million.....................

BUT we are foretting that Dawes and Sjostrom are going to get new deals and that money is gone right there

Old
07-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
I think if player x spent whole week discussin contract with other team GM and didn't linked with any NHL team and his current team GM said he can do whatever he want AND he gave a bit controversial interview i think this player maybe gone.
i dont know, i wouldnt make any gaurentee's right now. its a really crazy time of year, and Slats is a very crazy man he may throw 9 mil at JJ to stay for 2 years, i just dont know. if JJ signs i will bite the bullet(or whatever the saying is) and aknowledge you were right.

Old
07-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Kaktus*

I am not sure what Rangers will do today but your team addressed a lot of needs on blue line yesterday and I do not care what people say about Redden.

Redden Rozie Staal and Tyutin looks pretty damn good on paper.

Great job.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Sigh...wrong choice.
Are you insane? You would have rather given Brooks ****ing Orpik with all of 11 points 5 million a year? that's worse than the deal back in the day given to Kasparaitis. For 1.5-2 million more we actually got a defenseman who can play. At his worst he still outpaced BO by 25 points or so.

Ottawa fans can now move on to their next victim and stop bashing this guy.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Fletch

Bubblegum...

I don't thinkt the size issue has been addressed. For me, this team lacks size (or maybe I should say grit and tenacity) among its top six forwards. Getting guys like Rissmiller and Voros to fill the bottom six doesn't do it for me. That still needs to be addressed, otherwise we're looking at Drury, Gomez, Dawes, and who else to fill out the top six? Hopefully guys who can play along the boards and cycle to complement those three smallish players.

As for making a deal and signing Orpik...how long with Orpik last out there? Can the Rangers put together a deal that makes sense in time to get Orpik, trade some guys away to get a top six forward, and sign another top six forward with the $5-7MM that may be left (more if you count the allowable overage in the cap)? Part of me is thinking why Sather didn't clear the decks before July 1 if that's what his intention was. Did he want to secure the players first then trade because he didn't want to risk the possibility of being naked and being forced to really overpay? Did he want to see who he can get and then search for what he needs? Are trades not part of his plan?

As Larry Brooks points out, now's not the time to judge this team since it's going through an ugly phase. Redden can be very useful. $6.5MM seems like a lot of money to spend on him though, but he will help contribute to a system that moves the puck quickly. Now they just need to find someone to move the puck to.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:22 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post
fans demand power play qb, sather signs one -- fans complain
Redden is NOT a true PP QB. I don't know where people are getting the idea that he is. He is a solid all around player, similar to Girardi but more skilled. He is certainly serviceable on the PP, but he is also no Rafalski/Niedermayer (style-wise).

Quote:
we bolster the D, fans comlain where's the O?
I'm sorry but Rozi/Redden (at least the Redden of late) is not "bolstering" anything. Roszival was absolutely pathetic in the second half of last year and down the stretch. Don't you remember watching him take lazy penalty after lazy penalty in the playoffs? Don't you remember how he took all of...hmm...5 or 10 shots from the point from January on? Now we have him at $5M for 4 years! Fantastic.

Quote:
fans want to play the kids, then complain that there's no veteran scoring
I'm all for playing the kids, but this team as it currently stands doesn't lack veteran scoring, it lacks scoring - period. I'm willing to give Sather some time and the benefit of the doubt, but as of right now all I can do is shake my head.

Last edited by HatTrick Swayze: 07-02-2008 at 08:30 AM.
HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote