HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you like this core?

Old
07-02-2008, 05:29 AM
Avy*

vCash: 500
Do you like this core?

Lundqvist+Gomez+Drury+Redden+Rozsival.

Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 05:35 AM
BlueBlooded

Send a message via AIM to BlueBlooded
With the names, yes. It would be a lie to deny the fact that I am a little worried with the percentage of our cap devoted to these core players but I think we have plenty of room to maneuver so on paper I am quite happy with this core. I just hope they can gel on the ice because if so and we can pick up a scorer or get someone on the team going (I'm looking at you Prucha) I think we are going to be a dangerous team.

BlueBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:17 AM
chosen

No.

I'm assuming there will be some signings of offensive players. If not, be prepared for the Rangers playing the most boring defensive hockey in their history.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:30 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
No.

I'm assuming there will be some signings of offensive players. If not, be prepared for the Rangers playing the most boring defensive hockey in their history.
Quite possibly. Easy to say too without any wingers on the team.

That said, I'm fine with it if it produces wins. I'll take some boring.

I do hope they can get somebody on the wing though because they really have guys at the back end who know what to do with the puck. Everyone is a solid first pass, especially with Redden. The only guy I don't trust back there right now is Backman and that's not too bad.

If things stay similar to how they are now, someone needs to step up big out of Callahan, Prucha, or Dawes. Or maybe even one of the others who it seems like has no chance.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:51 AM
bOnEs516

Nope. We really do need a really solid winger.

bOnEs516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:52 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
Lundqvist+Gomez+Drury+Redden+Rozsival.
defensively yes... our core of Redden, Rosy and Staal is great.

Goaltending yes... hanke is top 5 even if he is overpaid by a little

Offensively no... this core is one of the worst in the NHL if you consider their contracts for what they actually bring..

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I think it's fantastic. Frankly I haven't been this excited about the Rangers in a while.

Graves was on the money in his assessment of our defense, you won't find depth like that on many teams not named Detroit.

You have to be happy with our goal tending. Vezina caliber goalie with a very capable backup.

Of course the offense is lacking right now, but one trade or one signing and that can be delt with. It seems like Sather is finally taking his time in building a good team, that's something we should be excited about. This isn't the same old "Throw tons of money at the best available players and see what happens" type of off-season. At least IMO anyway.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think it's fantastic. Frankly I haven't been this excited about the Rangers in a while.

Graves was on the money in his assessment of our defense, you won't find depth like that on many teams not named Detroit.

You have to be happy with our goal tending. Vezina caliber goalie with a very capable backup.

Of course the offense is lacking right now, but one trade or one signing and that can be delt with. It seems like Sather is finally taking his time in building a good team, that's something we should be excited about. This isn't the same old "Throw tons of money at the best available players and see what happens" type of off-season. At least IMO anyway.
The problem with the offense runs far deeper than "one signing or trade."

Our highest career scorer on the wing as of right now is Petr Prucha.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I am, however, very happy with our goaltending and overpaid defense.

Old
07-02-2008, 09:15 AM
NYR Viper

absolutely.....i like this core a lot.....

the great thing is that, as graves said, with some young, very skilled players coming up in the next couple of years(anisimov, cheraponov, korpikoski, byers) i like having guys who have experience....redden on defense is a very good leader and drury and gomez are very good leaders as well.....as well as being a couple of the best all-around players in the game...will the rangers light the scoreboard up?....i think they will do better than many here believe...all they need is a legit 30 goal scorer and this team has been rebuilt very very well

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The problem with the offense runs far deeper than "one signing or trade."

Our highest career scorer on the wing as of right now is Petr Prucha.
Sorry, that was supposed to be "one signing and one trade." Haven't had any coffee yet today.

Old
07-02-2008, 09:27 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
absolutely.....i like this core a lot.....

the great thing is that, as graves said, with some young, very skilled players coming up in the next couple of years(anisimov, cheraponov, korpikoski, byers) i like having guys who have experience....redden on defense is a very good leader and drury and gomez are very good leaders as well.....as well as being a couple of the best all-around players in the game...will the rangers light the scoreboard up?....i think they will do better than many here believe...all they need is a legit 30 goal scorer and this team has been rebuilt very very well
Translating your post means they will be rancid until those "very skilled" players arrive.

Assuming Cherry and Anisimov pan out as hoped (very far from definite), calling Korpikoski and Byers very skilled players seems borderline absurd at this point.

Old
07-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Sorry, that was supposed to be "one signing and one trade." Haven't had any coffee yet today.
Id feel much better if Sather can lock down a legitimate top 6 forward sometime soon.

As for a trade, I just dont see that happening. In order to obtain young top 6 talent, the trading partner will demand a proven NHLer and a top prospect at the very least. If we trade Tyutin, that weakens our strong defensive depth. Im not ready to trade Dubinsky unless its for a gamebreaker....just dont think we really have the chips to pull something like that off.

Old
07-02-2008, 09:30 AM
GAGLine

On offense, we still have some players. The only player we lost that isn't replaceable IMO is Jagr. Shanny, Straka and Avery can all be replaced by bringing kids up and/or by getting more production out of players like Dawes, Sjostrom, Dubinsky, Callahan and Prucha. We also have to see what we get from players like Voros, Rissmiller and Jamtin.

Voros is a big kid and I doubt they are paying him 1 mil per year to play on the 4th line. This kid produced when given a chance (13 points in his first 21 games). I'd bet he gets a spot on the 3rd line.

A lot will depend on what we do today. We need 1 scoring winger I think and we'll be set.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Translating your post means they will be rancid until those "very skilled" players arrive.

Assuming Cherry and Anisimov pan out as hoped (very far from definite), calling Korpikoski and Byers very skilled players seems borderline absurd at this point.
Does anyone really expect Cherepanov to come over and score 30+ goals right away? Counting on that type of production from a first year NHL'er is how teams get into trouble.

Old
07-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Some are penciling Korpikoski in for 1st/2nd line winger duties NEXT SEASON just because he scored a goal in a playoff game. Its taken time for these kids to develop in the minors, and its going to also take time for them to develop in the NHL.

Old
07-02-2008, 09:38 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Forgot Staal.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:54 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I'd like it a lot better if we had signed ONE of Redden/Rozsie for those contracts (I'll feel a bit better about having both once I know if they involve NMC/NTCs). The fact that we're counting on BOTH of them to have bounce-back seasons scares me. If it works out and they both return to form, their contracts will actually be considered good deals (i.e. the Redden of two years ago is worth a lot more than Campbell IMO); the Rangers will give up fewer goals than Detroit and have a great counterattacking team (assuming we get someone to play the wing with Gomez).

But if not...

...well, at least we'll have a legit shot at Tavares.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Id feel much better if Sather can lock down a legitimate top 6 forward sometime soon.

As for a trade, I just dont see that happening. In order to obtain young top 6 talent, the trading partner will demand a proven NHLer and a top prospect at the very least. If we trade Tyutin, that weakens our strong defensive depth. Im not ready to trade Dubinsky unless its for a gamebreaker....just dont think we really have the chips to pull something like that off.
I think we all would. The difference is I'm not banging my head against the wall and worrying about it.

Yesterday didn't go according to anyone's plan on this board. Names like Rissmiller and Voros weren't brought up a single time from what I remember. Everyone also thought it would be Redden or Rozsival, not both. I think it's pretty clear Slats has some semblance of a plan being put in place. The fact that none of us seem to know what it is, makes it even more exciting; and oddly enough more comforting for me.

We might not think we have the chips to pull a deal out of our hat, but you never know. One mans junk is another man's treasure.

Old
07-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
I do. How many teams have a better core for the next 5+ years? Not many. Pens, Habs, Caps, Sharks and that's about it.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
No.

I don't mind boring defensive hockey if it means wins but the core of this team is so flawed it's actually kinda scary people were paid to put this team together. this team has almost nobody that can score at a consistant level...

I'm not an anti-sather sort of guy but i don't agree with his choices this offseason...i'm trying to stay level headed about it because obviously the team isn't done building for next season but i think the team is headed towards a HUGE step backwards next year...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:08 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
I do. How many teams have a better core for the next 5+ years? Not many. Pens, Habs, Caps, Sharks and that's about it.
don't forget PHX, CHI, LA and possibly PHI, and CLB.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
don't forget PHX, CHI, LA and possibly PHI, and CLB.
I'd add Philly maybe, but the rest of those are all teams in a rebuild, with a few good young kids to build around, but not yet a core as they're still missing key components.

PHX - defense?
LA/CHI - goaltending?
CBJ - center?

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:29 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
I'd add Philly maybe, but the rest of those are all teams in a rebuild, with a few good young kids to build around, but not yet a core as they're still missing key components.

PHX - defense?
LA/CHI - goaltending?
CBJ - center?
I think that all three of those teams are on the rise, especially Chicago. They all have a bevy of exciting young players. Their core is infinitely better than the Rangers core at this moment.

The Rangers don't strike me at all as a team on the rise unless you are counting on Prucha to be your #1 goal scorer, something I find to be pitiful for an NHL team, even a terrible NHL team.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:37 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

considering the alternatives i would say I am content with the core.

this team is going to be all about limiting the other teams chances, not making mistakes and winning 2-1.

I think the kids on the wings can put the puck in the nets. Its their size (or lack of it) that has me a little bit concerned...

donpaulo is online now   Reply With Quote