HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

do some of these signings today make last years signings look better?

Old
07-02-2008, 01:18 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
do some of these signings today make last years signings look better?

i was just wondering as all year all i heard was how bad the contracts were for gomez and drury and yet, i have to say both are MUCH BETTER than rolston, malone, ryder etc.. and they all got paif hansomly....i am a HUGE fan of both players and have never had a problem with either contract so this is why i am asking....to me...if malone can get over 5 million(while not even making it to free agency) drury and gomez for about 7 each look good to me

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:19 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

did you watch TSN today, wow, just wow. Pierre Mcguire was freaking out about how awful the contracts were, he said this is the worst year. It was funny when he said, the leafs just gave the fans the finger. But they said the worst contracts so far were...Finger, Huet, and Malone.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:23 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
did you watch TSN today, wow, just wow. Pierre Mcguire was freaking out about how awful the contracts were, he said this is the worst year. It was funny when he said, the leafs just gave the fans the finger. But they said the worst contracts so far were...Finger, Huet, and Malone.
no i didnt......from the sound of it i wish i did

i just feel like there is too much heat on these two in particular and considering their track record people should give them the benfit of the doubt....yet they dont and always attack them....

Old
07-02-2008, 01:30 AM
pavvento

Is there such thing as an UFA and a good contract? Honestly any player with talent that is an UFA is going to get more money and years than they are worth. That's the way free agency works. There are so many people who say 'I like this guy, but not at that price' well, so does every GM in the league, but they HAVE to pay that price if they want them.

This is why it is necessary to build from within and use UFA to fill a small whole. Unfortunately the Rangers have used it in the past two years to get their three best (presumably) position players.

As more teams have the ability to sign good players there will be even worse contracts thrown around. It really makes me wonder if any of these owners and GM's remember why we lost a season of hockey.

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:37 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

i just have to say if Sundin gets 10 mil per from Vancouver...

Old
07-02-2008, 01:44 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
i just have to say if Sundin gets 10 mil per from Vancouver...
absolutely agree....that would be rediculous

Old
07-02-2008, 01:46 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
absolutely agree....that would be rediculous
i wouldnt mind getting Naslund. the guy is a proven goal scorer and has stated he would sign a contract in the 2-3 mil range for a contender, plus we have the swedish fetish from Slats, so i think its a match made in heaven.

Nazzy-Dubi-JJ

Old
07-02-2008, 07:01 AM
eco's bones

The idea last year was that the Rangers were one or two players away from being the real deal. No doubt now that Nylander worked best with Jagr but Nylander priced him out of the picture more or less because of age and the length of contract he wanted. The Rangers had a need for two proven top line centers nonetheless and the top 3 were Briere, Gomez, Drury. They got two--they overpaid for both--particularly Drury. The thing is of the scorers they were supposed to center--Jagr had chemistry problems with both and Shanny's game has just declined.

The Rangers no longer are a player or two away--they are now somewhere around 4 or 5. Voros and Rissmiller address a problem of too many small forwards but neither of them are very talented. They are third line at best--4th liners on a good team. I don't really understand signing both Redden and Roszival--one makes sense but it would look much better if it were say Redden and Orpik--addressing both the offensive and physical dimensions that the team lacked last year on the blueline. We may have better pointmen this year but we don't have very many skilled forwards so as of the moment I don't see our pwp picking up.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:38 AM
levski87

We could have given the same contract to Orpik instead of Rozy. Orpik would GLADLY take 5 mil. Sather is a moron.

Redden-Orpik
Staal-Girardi
Tyutin-Sangs?

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
We could have given the same contract to Orpik instead of Rozy. Orpik would GLADLY take 5 mil. Sather is a moron.

Redden-Orpik
Staal-Girardi
Tyutin-Sangs?
Orpik for 5 mil per is a waste. When Pittsburgh fans are saying that he is a 3rd pairing dman then i believe it. 3.5 is the most i'd give em.

Old
07-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Orpik for 5 mil per is a waste. When Pittsburgh fans are saying that he is a 3rd pairing dman then i believe it. 3.5 is the most i'd give em.
I agree. I really don't understand the obsession with Brooks Orpik at all. Physical, stay at home defenseman do not get paid the big bucks. You can find a player to do the same job for close to the league minimum.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:59 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Orpik for 5 mil per is a waste.
I wouldn't say he's a waste, but for 5 million, Rozsival is a much better deal. If it was 4 million for Orpik vs 5 million for Rozsival I'd have a really hard time picking, but at equal price I take Rozsival without hesitation.

He may not bring the physicality Orpik brings, but I believe Rozsival is better defensively and much better at moving the puck.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post
I agree. I really don't understand the obsession with Brooks Orpik at all. Physical, stay at home defenseman do not get paid the big bucks. You can find a player to do the same job for close to the league minimum.
especially when they come off an average season and a great playoffs.

Old
07-02-2008, 09:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i was just wondering as all year all i heard was how bad the contracts were for gomez and drury and yet, i have to say both are MUCH BETTER than rolston, malone, ryder etc.. and they all got paif hansomly....i am a HUGE fan of both players and have never had a problem with either contract so this is why i am asking....to me...if malone can get over 5 million(while not even making it to free agency) drury and gomez for about 7 each look good to me
Yeah but you can say this every year about the year before.

07-02-2008, 09:50 AM
DontStepanMe

Nothing short of Drury getting 80 pts each year for the next 4 years will make that signing look good. It was a horrible signing especially since he has a NMC. We can't even buy him out b/c you have to put a player through waivers first which we can't bc of the NMC... worst signing since the lockout.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:51 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Nothing short of Drury getting 80 pts each year for the next 4 years will make that signing look good. It was a horrible signing especially since he has a NMC. We can't even buy him out b/c you have to put a player through waivers first which we can't bc of the NMC... worst signing since the lockout.
Why exactly would the Rangers be looking to get rid of Chris Drury?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:57 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Why exactly would the Rangers be looking to get rid of Chris Drury?
b/c his cap hit for what he brings is absolutely atrocious. he will be our third best center by the end of the year. Gomez is our best and I really think Dubi will surpass Drury offensively this season.

Gomez is a playmaking center and almost deserves what he makes.... in fact if he had a real RW he probably would be getting over a pt/game.

Drury is making way to much than he deserves. his cap hit is killing this team and our abilities to sign/resign players. he he is a second/third line player being paid as an all star. you don't pay 3 million for intangibles. If you did than Sean Aver would be asking for $6mil.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:03 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
b/c his cap hit for what he brings is absolutely atrocious. he will be our third best center by the end of the year. Gomez is our best and I really think Dubi will surpass Drury offensively this season.

Gomez is a playmaking center and almost deserves what he makes.... in fact if he had a real RW he probably would be getting over a pt/game.

Drury is making way to much than he deserves. his cap hit is killing this team and our abilities to sign/resign players. he he is a second/third line player being paid as an all star. you don't pay 3 million for intangibles. If you did than Sean Aver would be asking for $6mil.
Dubinsky didn't sniff Drury's numbers despite playing with Jagr while Drury was playing with Callahan and Dawes.

Drury is also this team's best penalty-killer, best faceoff guy and best defensive forward. That doesn't could for anything? He also scored as many goals as any Ranger this season (including leading the team in PP goals and GWGs and OTGs).

Old
07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:

Yeah well, Drury is not getting moved.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

I have no problem with that contract. Other teams were offering him big money too, and they knew how many points he puts up.

Drury is a leader & winner, and he's proven that many times. Not too many guys like him out there.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:10 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Dubinsky didn't sniff Drury's numbers despite playing with Jagr while Drury was playing with Callahan and Dawes.

Drury is also this team's best penalty-killer, best faceoff guy and best defensive forward. That doesn't could for anything? He also scored as many goals as any Ranger this season (including leading the team in PP goals and GWGs and OTGs).

I think you are forgeting that

a) Dubi was a rookie
b) Dubi played almost half the season on the third line while Drury was w/ Jagr or Shanny
c) By the end of the year I Dubi's FO's were right up there w/ Drury, and it seemed that he won the more crucial ones. Especially in the offensive zone.

yes he is the best defensive forward on the team. But he isn't worth $7 mil. That contract his a salary cap killer. You don't pay $7 mil a year for defense unless you are a defensemen.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:12 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I think you are forgeting that

a) Dubi was a rookie
b) Dubi played almost half the season on the third line while Drury was w/ Jagr or Shanny
c) By the end of the year I Dubi's FO's were right up there w/ Drury, and it seemed that he won the more crucial ones. Especially in the offensive zone.

yes he is the best defensive forward on the team. But he isn't worth $7 mil. That contract his a salary cap killer. You don't pay $7 mil a year for defense unless you are a defensemen.
Drury never played with Jagr and he rarely played with Shanahan.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Comparing last years signings to this years signings is a bit ridiculous. As the cap goes up, prices for UFA's tend to go up as well. Add to that a relatively thin FA pool and you have your reasoning for the big contracts.

The only ridiculous contract offer was Sundin at 10mil per year. Campbell is overpaid, but thats a result of multiple teams competing for him. Redden is probably overpaid as well, but again, the Rangers weren't the only team after him.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Also, you can't compare these contract #s to each other. They need to be addressed in the context of that year's salary cap, what comparable players were going for, and team need.

This year offensive d-men were a HUGE commodity. Does Campbell's contract, or Rosie's or Redden's, make them as good as Lidstrom because of the $$$? No, of course not, because if Lisdtrom were to be signed this year as a UFA he'd be getting well over $8MM per.

The only way these contracts become really scary is if league revenues start to contract, and with the NHL adding new revenue streams daily, I don't see that happening.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:38 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Also, you can't compare these contract #s to each other. They need to be addressed in the context of that year's salary cap, what comparable players were going for, and team need.

This year offensive d-men were a HUGE commodity. Does Campbell's contract, or Rosie's or Redden's, make them as good as Lidstrom because of the $$$? No, of course not, because if Lisdtrom were to be signed this year as a UFA he'd be getting well over $8MM per.

The only way these contracts become really scary is if league revenues start to contract, and with the NHL adding new revenue streams daily, I don't see that happening.
And if the looney starts to decline against the dollar again (as it almost surely will)..?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote