HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

do some of these signings today make last years signings look better?

Old
07-02-2008, 09:43 AM
BBKers

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Well lets see what has happened so far 2008 compared to 2007:

Cap went up by 6,4 from 50,3 to 56,7 M
Some of this is nullified by overage from last year = 780.630 ??
Total increase of available space is therefore around 5,62 M ISK but I am unsure if we are to be penalized an additional amount due to Jagrs contract

On defense.
We raised Rozsivals salary by 2,9 to 5,0
We replaced Malik + Mara (2,5 + 3 =5,5) with Wade Redden (6,5). Cap hit 1 M
Jason Strudwick has yet to be resigned or replaced
Our cap hit on D through FA Day 1 is therefore 3,9 higher than last year
We need to sign one more defender on a 23 man squad
In effect - we still have around 1,72 M left in additional to 2007 to replace our forwards or resign them

On the forward side:
Jagr has not been resigned. His cap hit was 4.940.000 2007
Shanny has not been resigned. His cap hit was 4.700.000 2007 - overage (listed above) of 780.000 =3.920.000
Avery has not been resigned. His cap hit was 1.900.000 2007
Straka has no been resigned. His cap hit was 3.300.000 2007
There is therefore a theoretical available cap space of 14.160.000 to be used towards resigning forwards.

But we are also negotiating extension contracts with at least 2 regulars on the squad as restricted free agents- ie:
Sjöström
Dawes

This will probably cost an additional 0,5 - 1 M U$D

We have in addition (so far) signed the following forwards:
Aaron Voros for 1.000.000 U$D per year
Andreas Jämtin for undisclosed amount (I am thinking 800.000)
Patrik Rissmiller for undisclosed amount (I am thinking 800.000)

It will probably be so that Korpedo makes the squad with a cap hit slightly above 1.000.000

Hollweg is probably gone - minimizing hit by around 500.000

This in effect means around 4,500 has been used up of the available space
This would mean that we still have 15,900,000 - 4,500 left to use in signing money

In net
We resigned Vally (undisclosed amount - small raise??)
We also raised Hanks salary by 2.625.000

So we now got 8.800.000 to use
We need one reserve D and 2 forwards signed
Use it well
Trades'
What will happen?

you tell me if it is better than last year

Defense
Redden
Rozsival
Tyutin
Girardi
Backman
Staal

Forwards
Drury
Gomez
Prucha
Dawes
Dubinsky
Callahan
Sjöström
Jämtin
Betts
Rissmiller
Voros
Hollweg
Orr

Korpedo??
AA???

Last edited by BBKers: 07-02-2008 at 09:52 AM.
BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
And if the looney starts to decline against the dollar again (as it almost surely will)..?
Well, it'd be due to an epic surge in the value of the dollar, and with many nations moving to the Euro as their "business" currency, I don't see that happening any time soon.

My guess is that the NHLPA will extend the CBA next May, and we'll have another lock-out in 2012-2013 to reset everything again. All of this will happen before any dramatic dive in the value of the CD$.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Fletch

The cap went up by about 12%...

theoretically, Drury would go for $7.8MM today. So perhaps Drury at $7MM for the next few years isn't such a bad thing.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
theoretically, Drury would go for $7.8MM today. So perhaps Drury at $7MM for the next few years isn't such a bad thing.
Exactly, and apply that same rationale to say Lidstrom's $7.4MM and it's ~$8.3MM, making the Redden deal a bit easier to swallow (assuming Lidstrom is the Gold Standard for two-way d-men).

Old
07-02-2008, 10:02 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Drury never played with Jagr and he rarely played with Shanahan.
After they realized that Gomez and Jagr didn't mix, Drury tried his luck w/ Jagr. it was only for lie 5-10 games though but still he did play there.

and when Gomez was playing w/ jagr, Drury played w/ Shanny. again it was for about 10-15 games... still that is almost a third of a season of either playing w/ Shanny or Jagr.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Well, it'd be due to an epic surge in the value of the dollar, and with many nations moving to the Euro as their "business" currency, I don't see that happening any time soon.

My guess is that the NHLPA will extend the CBA next May, and we'll have another lock-out in 2012-2013 to reset everything again. All of this will happen before any dramatic dive in the value of the CD$.
I dunno, Forechecker - I see values trading back as much as 20% over the next 12 months, especially once the current administration leaves power (both for real economic and psychological reasons). We shall see.

Hopefully the NHL continues to add revenue streams in multiple currencies.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:07 AM
ThirdEye

I just don't see how Drury is preventing this team from going forward. I realize he had a mediocre season last year by all accounts, but the team itself was struggling almost the whole year. Renney was moving him all over the place, and he wasn't being used correctly for half the season. It also took him some time to adjust, which is understandable, especially with this team. He was also unfortunate to get injured in the playoffs.

Also, now with Straka and Shanny gone, we need him more than ever. Our captain might not even be coming back! Who's going to lead this team?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:21 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Nothing short of Drury getting 80 pts each year for the next 4 years will make that signing look good. It was a horrible signing especially since he has a NMC. We can't even buy him out b/c you have to put a player through waivers first which we can't bc of the NMC... worst signing since the lockout.
Yup, Chris Drury is the problem. He's pretty much a career loser with a bad attitude. Think about the hundreds of shots he blocked last yr. Half the time they ripped off him to center ice where nobody was. Every shot he blocks short handed should lead to a scoring chance. The guy is a complete waste of space...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I dunno, Forechecker - I see values trading back as much as 20% over the next 12 months, especially once the current administration leaves power (both for real economic and psychological reasons). We shall see.

Hopefully the NHL continues to add revenue streams in multiple currencies.
Maybe. I think you're right that the dollar and market will spike in November, maybe not as much if McCain wins, but every new president gets the benefit of the doubt initially. But, I just don't see a massive swing in the overall global economy coming that pushes the dollar back to anything close to what it was before the lock-out.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:29 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
As the salary cap goes up, so do contracts. That's just how things go...

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:33 AM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Yup, Chris Drury is the problem. He's pretty much a career loser with a bad attitude. Think about the hundreds of shots he blocked last yr. Half the time they ripped off him to center ice where nobody was. Every shot he blocks short handed should lead to a scoring chance. The guy is a complete waste of space...
7 mil to block shots?.... I'm sure Cally would do it for 2 mil. Drury was honestly the worst signing. Gomez actually has skills, he can lead the rush and his amazing speed makes him one of the best centers. Drury isn't amazing at ANYTHING. You don't build a team around Drury. He's more of a 3-4 mil forward who helps the team. I'm still very upset about this signing as you can tell.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:47 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
7 mil to block shots?.... I'm sure Cally would do it for 2 mil. Drury was honestly the worst signing. Gomez actually has skills, he can lead the rush and his amazing speed makes him one of the best centers. Drury isn't amazing at ANYTHING. You don't build a team around Drury. He's more of a 3-4 mil forward who helps the team. I'm still very upset about this signing as you can tell.
thank you, for you understand. Big money goes for offense not defense. Even for defensmen the big money goes to those who can score as well.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
That may be true, he isn't amazing at anything, but he's very good at just about everything.

- He's good for about 25g/30a per season
- He PK's where he blocks shots and is a short-handed threat
- He leads
- He has a huge shot
- He's a selfless team player
- He never quits
- He has a knack for scoring big goals

Is he worth 7 mil? Probably not. However, he does everything he possibly can to earn that money. Thats more than you can say for a lot of players in sports today.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
How about for being the team's leading goal scorer? How about 7 games winning goals (most on the team)? How about 2 OT goals (most on the team). How about 12 PP goals (most on the team)?

07-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 35000
I would have been generally pleased with the Redden signing if we didn't sign Roszival as well. I mean if Girardi and Tyutin play together we basically just signed a 5 million/year #5 defenseman.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:14 AM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
That may be true, he isn't amazing at anything, but he's very good at just about everything.

- He's good for about 25g/30a per season
- He PK's where he blocks shots and is a short-handed threat
- He leads
- He has a huge shot
- He's a selfless team player
- He never quits
- He has a knack for scoring big goals

Is he worth 7 mil? Probably not. However, he does everything he possibly can to earn that money. Thats more than you can say for a lot of players in sports today.

- 25g/30a ... is that REALLY impressive for a 7.0 million player?.. Hossa will probably get around 8-9 and he's proven he can go past 55 points per year easily. I'm not saying we should have waited for Hossa to become a UFA because Sather couldn't tell the future and wait on him to become a UFA. This is just for arguments sake.
- He PK's, ok, are you saying none of our upcoming prospects can play on the PK?... BTW, Drury hasn't scored a Short handed goal this whole year, his threat on the PK doesn't translate to goals.
- Yes, he leads. Even this though, how can you tell?... Are you in that locker room and listening to his words?.. Don't try to pull up article quotes on me because people are a bit different behind closed doors.
- Yes he has a huge shot, Its not always that accurate but its okay. I'll give you this one.
- Selfless team player ... this is the guideline of a TEAM. If none of our players were selfless team players, there would be no TEAM, but we somehow manage to get to the second round as a TEAM, therefore I don't think its all due to Drury.
- No professional athlete is suppose to quit. This is a minimum for being on a team. Im glad Mr.Drury doesn't quit with his 7 mil contract.
- Knack for scoring big goals?.. I agree he has some GWG during the season, but what happened to him in the playoffs?... Last year he scores on the rangers with 7 seconds left to go and automatically he's a game breaker.. come on.. You are giving him to much credit for what he REALLY is. An Average Player.

Old
07-02-2008, 11:15 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
- Knack for scoring big goals?.. I agree he has some GWG during the season,
Not some. More than anybody else on the team.

And in the playoffs he had as many as anyone on the team.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

Its free agency, thats what happens.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:18 AM
levski87

Quote:
How about for being the team's leading goal scorer? How about 7 games winning goals (most on the team)? How about 2 OT goals (most on the team). How about 12 PP goals (most on the team)?
Isn't it sad that the leading goal scorer is paid 7 million to score roughly 25 goals per season?... How many game winning goals did he have for us in the playoffs? ... wow 2 ot goals, thats so impressive, lets just pay him 10 million because of some OT goals. Where was he during the shootout? Where a few games were actually won No where to be found.

Old
07-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:

Drury is by far the teams most important forward RIGHT NOW...His all around abilty (including faceoffs and penaltly killing) is something this team needs to count on right now..

the crazy idea that drury is overpaid is what we get when we only look at the hockey card stats.....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:19 AM
levski87

Quote:

Are you counting that 4-1 SEMI blow effort vs the Devils in game 5?.. Wow, what a game winning goal. That game should have been won 4-1, 4-2 TOPS.

Old
07-02-2008, 11:21 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Isn't it sad that the leading goal scorer is paid 7 million to score roughly 25 goals per season?... How many game winning goals did he have for us in the playoffs? ... wow 2 ot goals, thats so impressive, lets just pay him 10 million because of some OT goals. Where was he during the shootout? Where a few games were actually won No where to be found.
If you want to look at one aspect of Drury, he's probably not a 7M a year player. Thankfully he does a lot more than one thing.

The issue is you want your highest paid players to be your most productive. And by and large they were.

For that matter, how many 3rd line centers score 25 goals? How many lead their team in goal scoring? He shouldn't be a third line center. But he was. And he produced.

Old
07-02-2008, 11:21 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Are you counting that 4-1 SEMI blow effort vs the Devils in game 5?.. Wow, what a game winning goal. That game should have been won 4-1, 4-2 TOPS.
I'm counting what his stats are.

Old
07-02-2008, 11:24 AM
levski87

Quote:
I'm counting what his stats are.
I'm just saying a few flukey goals and suddently he ends up with a BS GWG.

Old
07-02-2008, 11:29 AM
levski87

Quote:
If you want to look at one aspect of Drury, he's probably not a 7M a year player. Thankfully he does a lot more than one thing.

The issue is you want your highest paid players to be your most productive. And by and large they were.

For that matter, how many 3rd line centers score 25 goals? How many lead their team in goal scoring? He shouldn't be a third line center. But he was. And he produced.
So you are saying if we put him on the 1st line he'll pot 35-40g per year?... I believe he was getting decent ice team on the 3rd line which allowed us to roll all those lines effectively.