HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

do some of these signings today make last years signings look better?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2008, 11:33 AM
  #51
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
So you are saying if we put him on the 1st line he'll pot 35-40g per year?... I believe he was getting decent ice team on the 3rd line which allowed us to roll all those lines effectively.
I'm saying if you gave him legit linemates he would score 30 goals and have 40 assists. And he would still be a superb penalty killer, faceoff guy and defensive forward.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:33 AM
  #52
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If you want to look at one aspect of Drury, he's probably not a 7M a year player. Thankfully he does a lot more than one thing.

The issue is you want your highest paid players to be your most productive. And by and large they were.

For that matter, how many 3rd line centers score 25 goals? How many lead their team in goal scoring? He shouldn't be a third line center. But he was. And he produced.

BTW Drury was tied with Jagr with 25g, so he wasn't the top scorer. If you include the playoffs ( where Drury thrives ) Jagr outbeat him in the points ( goals and assists ) department by far. Also, Drury averaged 19:48 minutes per ice time on the 3rd line. While Jagr averaged 20:28. Not really much of a difference is it, so this whole he was on the 3rd line reason excuses doesnt work.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:34 AM
  #53
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
I'm just saying a few flukey goals and suddently he ends up with a BS GWG.
Ah yes those "flukey BS GWG" shouldn't count. Yet Dubinksy, Gomez, Straka or Shanahan couldn't manage one.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:36 AM
  #54
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
BTW Drury was tied with Jagr with 25g, so he wasn't the top scorer. If you include the playoffs ( where Drury thrives ) Jagr outbeat him in the points ( goals and assists ) department by far. Also, Drury averaged 19:48 minutes per ice time on the 3rd line. While Jagr averaged 20:28. Not really much of a difference is it, so this whole he was on the 3rd line reason excuses doesnt work.
He is the top goal scorer. In the regular season nobody scored more goals than him.

Jagr doesn't kill penalties.

This has degenerated into a ridiculous argument. If someone told you this time last year that Chris Drury would score as many goals as Jaromir Jagr, you would have been thrilled.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:40 AM
  #55
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He is the top goal scorer. In the regular season nobody scored more goals than him.

Jagr doesn't kill penalties.

This has degenerated into a ridiculous argument. If someone told you this time last year that Chris Drury would score as many goals as Jaromir Jagr, you would have been thrilled.
According to ESPN, Jagr and Drury both had 25g during the regular season. I would have been thrilled if that number was over 25, as everyone else. YOu are right this has turned into a ridiculous argument and no one's views will be changed about Drury so lets leave it at that.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:41 AM
  #56
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Drury is by far the teams most important forward RIGHT NOW...His all around abilty (including faceoffs and penaltly killing) is something this team needs to count on right now..

the crazy idea that drury is overpaid is what we get when we only look at the hockey card stats.....
no it is when you look at other players salaries... Drury is the 7th highest paid center in the Entire League... only gomez, thornton, crosby, lecalvalier, datsyuk, brad richards get paid more than him.... maybe sundin... only Briere and Spezza is w/in half a mil lower than drurys contract.


hate to break it to you but Drury isn't the 7th best center in the league... he isnt even top 25. he gets paid like an elite player but he isn't one. he isn't a game breaker, a person who you change your gameplan around. He never will be. This was the WORST signing since the lockout.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:45 AM
  #57
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
According to ESPN, Jagr and Drury both had 25g during the regular season. I would have been thrilled if that number was over 25, as everyone else. YOu are right this has turned into a ridiculous argument and no one's views will be changed about Drury so lets leave it at that.
Exactly. Drury and Jagr scored 25 goals. Nobody scored more than Chris Drury. So too, nobody scored more goals than Jaromir Jagr.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:54 AM
  #58
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
no it is when you look at other players salaries... Drury is the 7th highest paid center in the Entire League... only gomez, thornton, crosby, lecalvalier, datsyuk, brad richards get paid more than him.... maybe sundin... only Briere and Spezza is w/in half a mil lower than drurys contract.


hate to break it to you but Drury isn't the 7th best center in the league... he isnt even top 25. he gets paid like an elite player but he isn't one. he isn't a game breaker, a person who you change your gameplan around. He never will be. This was the WORST signing since the lockout.
Hate to break it to you but Drury isn't the worst signing since the lockout...If you look at ALL the things Drury does than you may have a diffrent opinion...I don't know...

I also hate to break it to you that the Rangers weren't bidding against themselves for Drury...plenty of teams offered him the same amount of money....You know GM's not annoymous posters on a message board....GM's who understand the value of a player like Drury..

Is Drury a gamebreaker? of course not...but he will shut down a gamebreaking center and score to top it off...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:02 PM
  #59
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Hate to break it to you but Drury isn't the worst signing since the lockout...If you look at ALL the things Drury does than you may have a diffrent opinion...I don't know...

I also hate to break it to you that the Rangers weren't bidding against themselves for Drury...plenty of teams offered him the same amount of money....You know GM's not annoymous posters on a message board....GM's who understand the value of a player like Drury..

Is Drury a gamebreaker? of course not...but he will shut down a gamebreaking center and score to top it off...
so does john madden does that mean he deserves $7mil a year.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:09 PM
  #60
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
- 25g/30a ... is that REALLY impressive for a 7.0 million player?.. Hossa will probably get around 8-9 and he's proven he can go past 55 points per year easily. I'm not saying we should have waited for Hossa to become a UFA because Sather couldn't tell the future and wait on him to become a UFA. This is just for arguments sake.
The whole point of this was to demonstrate to you that his contributions go far beyond point totals. Why even bring Hossa into this? Tying for the team lead in goals isn't good enough for you?

Quote:
- He PK's, ok, are you saying none of our upcoming prospects can play on the PK?... BTW, Drury hasn't scored a Short handed goal this whole year, his threat on the PK doesn't translate to goals.
So just because a kid can kill penalties means he's a substitute for Drury? He didn't have any short handed goals, but he had 2 short handed assists. That means he made the play happen. That's a threat.

Quote:
- Yes, he leads. Even this though, how can you tell?... Are you in that locker room and listening to his words?.. Don't try to pull up article quotes on me because people are a bit different behind closed doors.
Can you show me one article, quote or sentence that doesn't associate Drury with being a leader? How many times have players specifically spoken to the media about his leadership abilities? I'm sure everyone praises him for being a leader just because they assume it's true.

Quote:
- Yes he has a huge shot, Its not always that accurate but its okay. I'll give you this one.
Thanks for 'giving' me this one because it's true. Thats very generous of you.

Quote:
- Selfless team player ... this is the guideline of a TEAM. If none of our players were selfless team players, there would be no TEAM, but we somehow manage to get to the second round as a TEAM, therefore I don't think its all due to Drury.
That's just ridiculous.

Quote:
- No professional athlete is suppose to quit. This is a minimum for being on a team. Im glad Mr.Drury doesn't quit with his 7 mil contract.
Supposed to? I'm not supposed to whiz in my neighbors flower garden, but I have. People do things they aren't supposed to do, athletes included.

Quote:
- Knack for scoring big goals?.. I agree he has some GWG during the season, but what happened to him in the playoffs?... Last year he scores on the rangers with 7 seconds left to go and automatically he's a game breaker.. come on.. You are giving him to much credit for what he REALLY is. An Average Player.
SBOB already proved this point for me.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:12 PM
  #61
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
so does john madden does that mean he deserves $7mil a year.
Chris Drury is a much better player than John Madden...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:25 PM
  #62
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Chris Drury is a much better player than John Madden...
he is... but is he $4mil a year better than him.... hell no.

put it this way... Say Drury signed the same deal w/ the devils or islanders. Would you still be defending that deal if somebody bashed it. or would you be laughing at it. i tend to think the latter.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:25 PM
  #63
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Chris Drury is a much better player than John Madden...
Yea and John Madden RIPPED Drury in Faceoffs last year didn't he?... Drury isnt even a top 25 center like Rags said. Madden had 5 less goals during the regular season and how much does Madden get paid again?.. Plus Maddens intensity > Drury, since we like to argue about Drury's characteristics.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:32 PM
  #64
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
he is... but is he $4mil a year better than him.... hell no.

put it this way... Say Drury signed the same deal w/ the devils or islanders. Would you still be defending that deal if somebody bashed it. or would you be laughing at it. i tend to think the latter.
I wouldnt' be laughing at it...it depends on what the needs of those teams were at the time of the signing..

Is Drury $4M better than Madden...probably not but the market is the market...i didn't set it..you didn't set it..it is what it is...

it's not like we ended up with a bad player or somebody that didn't fit our needs...i tend to think if Dubinsky didn't mature the way he did last year nobody would be bashing Drury right now but that's just me...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:34 PM
  #65
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Yea and John Madden RIPPED Drury in Faceoffs last year didn't he?... Drury isnt even a top 25 center like Rags said. Madden had 5 less goals during the regular season and how much does Madden get paid again?.. Plus Maddens intensity > Drury, since we like to argue about Drury's characteristics.
I'd take Drury over Madden anyday..it's your opinion to think otherwise but i don't agree with it...i'm also not going to waste my time getting into a huge debate about this...i don't care enough too and to be honest reading your other posts here i'd rather just take the high road anyway...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:41 PM
  #66
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I wouldnt' be laughing at it...it depends on what the needs of those teams were at the time of the signing..

Is Drury $4M better than Madden...probably not but the market is the market...i didn't set it..you didn't set it..it is what it is...

it's not like we ended up with a bad player or somebody that didn't fit our needs...i tend to think if Dubinsky didn't mature the way he did last year nobody would be bashing Drury right now but that's just me...
that is part of it. But management had to know a little of what they had in Dubi and hopefully Ani. i really don't think (didn't then either) that we needed both Gomez and drury. I still don't think we need both. It is what it is now, but I really think his contract hampers the team more than helps.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
  #67
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I'd take Drury over Madden anyday..it's your opinion to think otherwise but i don't agree with it...i'm also not going to waste my time getting into a huge debate about this...i don't care enough too and to be honest reading your other posts here i'd rather just take the high road anyway...
I would take drury over madden as well if salaries were equal. But that $4mil is just too much. We could get another good winger, or solid dman for that.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:46 PM
  #68
Voice of Reason
Registered User
 
Voice of Reason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 2,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I would take drury over madden as well if salaries were equal. But that $4mil is just too much. We could get another good winger, or solid dman for that.
Madden plays his game to the best of his potential.
Drury has been playing his game to the best of Madden's potential, which is not worth $4 million more.

Drury has a bigger upside; he just needs to find it again.

Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:50 PM
  #69
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
that is part of it. But management had to know a little of what they had in Dubi and hopefully Ani. i really don't think (didn't then either) that we needed both Gomez and drury. I still don't think we need both. It is what it is now, but I really think his contract hampers the team more than helps.
I think management "hoped" what they had in Dubinsky and Anismov but they didnt know for sure...

i don't think the drury contract hurts the team...without him they have a huge hole to fill...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:56 PM
  #70
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I think management "hoped" what they had in Dubinsky and Anismov but they didnt know for sure...

i don't think the drury contract hurts the team...without him they have a huge hole to fill...
and I honestly think that dubi can fill that hole in a year or two... he already is almost as good on faceoffs, shown he can score some, and seems to have about the same passing abilities so far as drury, and is a better puckhandler already than drury. He was a leader in the minors so I would think he would grow into one eventually here, and he is much more physical. i just don't think he will ever be as good defensively. but in other aspects of the game i expect he will be the same or better w/in a couple years.

also a cheaper center who might not be as good will allow us to fill in other holes somewhere else. That is my entire argument. The money you can save w/o him could help shore up other things. Some of the parts is more than the whole.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:11 PM
  #71
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,100
vCash: 500
Fine, so Drury slots in as a 25-30-55 winger (hopefully with more offensive upside playing with Gomer) with a defensive conscience and is an ideal backup FO guy when the center gets booted - and remains the best PKer on the team (not to mention potentially the captain). The way things are shaping up, looks like we're going to need that guy!

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:21 PM
  #72
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Yup, Chris Drury is the problem. He's pretty much a career loser with a bad attitude. Think about the hundreds of shots he blocked last yr. Half the time they ripped off him to center ice where nobody was. Every shot he blocks short handed should lead to a scoring chance. The guy is a complete waste of space...
LOL this post is a joke right? You wouldn't exactly be the best GM. No one in their right mind signs a center to block shots and win face offs for $7 million. If that was the case we could have gotten a player like Yanic Perrault for much less than Drury. The only player I would pay $7 million to block shots are Lidstrom or Phanuef and they're defense man.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:16 PM
  #73
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
BTW Drury was tied with Jagr with 25g, so he wasn't the top scorer. If you include the playoffs ( where Drury thrives ) Jagr outbeat him in the points ( goals and assists ) department by far. Also, Drury averaged 19:48 minutes per ice time on the 3rd line. While Jagr averaged 20:28. Not really much of a difference is it, so this whole he was on the 3rd line reason excuses doesnt work.
drury probably plays close to 4 minutes on the pk per game....so thats about 5 minutes less than jagr on average on the pp or even plus pk is very tiring

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:20 PM
  #74
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
drury probably plays close to 4 minutes on the pk per game....so thats about 5 minutes less than jagr on average on the pp or even plus pk is very tiring
one could counter that Jagr plays against top pairing dmen, and the best defensive forwards every single shift.... and drury played against third pairing dmen. this is an argument that has no end.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:23 PM
  #75
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
LOL this post is a joke right? You wouldn't exactly be the best GM. No one in their right mind signs a center to block shots and win face offs for $7 million. If that was the case we could have gotten a player like Yanic Perrault for much less than Drury. The only player I would pay $7 million to block shots are Lidstrom or Phanuef and they're defense man.
i hope this is a joke....drury is one of the most complete players in the entire league....we started to see it at the end of the season when he started to score...i expect 60-65 points from him next year if he is at center and 70 points if he is at gomez's wing...........also....he had 25 goals on a HORRID pp.....if the pp was even average his point totals would have been better....we will see with redden here his point totals increase

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.