HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hossa to the Red Wings and other laments...

Old
07-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Hossa to the Red Wings and other laments...

With Marian Hossa signing with the Red Wings...improving an already great team, our division just got that much tougher.

In the couple weeks, the Central Division has become much better.

Chicago: Bring in Brian Campbell, Cristobal Huet
Columbus: Torres, Umberger, Commodore

We are going to be fighting tooth and nail to make the playoffs again, and its going to be even tougher with the division steadily improving.

----

Details on Hossa: 1 year 7.4 million. Wow - sweetheart deal for the Wings.

07-02-2008, 11:54 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
With Marian Hossa signing with the Red Wings...improving an already great team, our division just got that much tougher.

In the couple weeks, the Central Division has become much better.

Chicago: Bring in Brian Campbell, Cristobal Huet
Columbus: Torres, Umberger, Commodore

We are going to be fighting tooth and nail to make the playoffs again, and its going to be even tougher with the division steadily improving.

----

Details on Hossa: 1 year 7.4 million. Wow - sweetheart deal for the Wings.

I hate to tell you this Enoch, but unless Poile and co. can get a top 6 forward the Preds are going to be grateful the Blues are keeping them out of the basement.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

You never know what will happen in hockey. I still remember the Avs team in 03-04 and the Sharks team a year prior to that who were both cup favorites and both busted.

This won't happen in Detroit, but we will see how things pan out. Still, even the most optimistic Predator fan has to acknowledge that this year is going to be a fight from game 1-82.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:27 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
The hawks might have landed campbell and huet, but I still don't see them as much of a threat.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:29 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I hate to tell you this Enoch, but unless Poile and co. can get a top 6 forward the Preds are going to be grateful the Blues are keeping them out of the basement.
same thing was said last year. I'm not saying it won't be that way this year but none the less.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:44 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
same thing was said last year. I'm not saying it won't be that way this year but none the less.
IF the Preds don't make a move. Poile could come out in the next hour with a deal for Georges and Miro. Satan for reasonable deals and I would come out feeling a lot better.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:49 PM
OpenWheel

Well, basically this is the year for two veterans, Erat and Legwand, to prove they can still play even better, stay healthy, and show their deals were justified. Can they do that at their age? I don't know, but Poile seems to be banking on it.

And the year for Radulov to make more forward progress on offense. He should be past the Trots two-way play doghouse/wall that some prospects never get through.

If they do that. And our third lines are upgraded, as it seems they have a decent chance to be (Not sure who loses spots. But I'm trying to be optimistic), then we could be a playoff team and be better.

The defense should be better. They have to live up to the hype of course.

No question we can't feed on the central, as it seems everybody not named Detroit should be better. But if we're better, we can make up for it elsewhere.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Jarnberg

Don't forget teams who were behind us last year, Phoenix and Edmonton, have also improved...

Its going to be even tougher in the west and we have not improved our team from last year yet other then our younger players getting older.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:01 PM
OpenWheel

Yeah. Just listening to Daunic who had some analyst on yesterday. He said the west was going to be wild, with lots of teams feeling they've improved. Said the West would be tough.

I think we've improved though. I guess I feel "who knows". Because we do need upgrades on offense. But with Suter progressing, Zidlicky gone, and Weber healthy. Hamhuis. The dee's got to help us win games.

I'm just wearing my Preds fan glasses. (Preds win the Cup baby! )

I disagree we haven't improved from last year. But we haven't of course without seeing the new lineups. But I'm assuming we'll get two new guys on offense. Maybe Hornqvist and Jones. If we don't get two new guys, our offense will stay limited. No depth.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Jarnberg

Hornqvist has the potential to help our team, perhaps alot. We'll see if he brings his game to the NHL level. As of this time, that remains to be seen of course. I am very excited about him though.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

And the retooling continues in Columbus. Tyutin, Huselis, and Backman in - Zherdev and Fritsche out. I think they received lesser value on Zherdev, BUT they got much better as a team. The new GM finally gets that you have to have defensemen to win.....

Three blueline additions already: Commodore, Tyutin, Backman....
Adding Torres, Huselis, and Umberger really helps that team as well.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:46 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
And the retooling continues in Columbus. Tyutin, Huselis, and Backman in - Zherdev and Fritsche out. I think they received lesser value on Zherdev, BUT they got much better as a team. The new GM finally gets that you have to have defensemen to win.....

Three blueline additions already: Commodore, Tyutin, Backman....
Adding Torres, Huselis, and Umberger really helps that team as well.

They still have the worst D in the division IMO. That being said it's still a pretty good D. They picked up some solid players but what they didnt pick up any game changers. I see them missing the Playoffs again. I actaully feel kindof bad for jacket fans. At this point they need some success and attendance could really start to lag without some results. They have showed they are a viable hockey market. Now they just want to see some results from there team

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Jarnberg

I think the Jackets improved their team alot.

They will challenge for the last playoff spot imo.

Old
07-03-2008, 02:15 AM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
The hawks might have landed campbell and huet, but I still don't see them as much of a threat.
I could be wrong but Chicago showed all of steady improvement over last season just missing the playoffs. So don't see how you wouldn't see them as a threat going into next season. Minus the Blues the other teams here in the central have been making some significant moves this off season. I don't see where Poile thinks squeaking into the playoffs last year and keeping the same "core" group we'll do any better with teams in the West getting stronger in the Central along with teams like Phoenix and Edmonton that didn't miss the mark by that much to make the playoffs. I guess Ryan Jones move is really going to help us get us over the hump, as of today my prediction is we're out of the playoffs this up coming season. I hope I'm wrong!

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:54 AM
PredDave

Not trying to be a negative nelly, but I really believe we are clearly the worst team in our division for the 2008-2009 season (assuming all teams are healthy). We will not squeak into the playoffs with our current roster -- no way, no chance.

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 02:09 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Montreal landed Big George

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:31 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

St. Louis is going to be last in the division unless Boyle goes on waivers and they pick him up. They desperately need an offensive defenseman.

Columbus STILL doesn't have a first line center to go with Nash and Huselius. They also need a power play QB to replace Hainsey. Leclaire and Nash are going to carry that team and they'll only go as far as those two can take them. Most of their additions beyond Huselius aren't anything special: Commodore is a 2nd/3rd pairing guy, Umberger is a second liner at best, and Torres... yuck.

The Blackhakws still have to move Khabibulin, Lang, or Havlat to get back under the cap, and I'm not so sure they're deep enough up front to replace more than one top six forward (which is the situation they got into last year).

The Red Wings are going to win the Stanley Cup again. With no major departures (Hasek, Chelios, Downey, Drake, McCarty) I see no reason for them to not be the same insanely dominant team they were last year.

Right now I think pending Weber being 100%, Hornqvist living up to the expectations the organization has for him and Pihlstrom stepping into the lineup, along with the success of Ellis and Rinne as a tandem, we're 3rd in the Central. If all those things pan out we should end up 2nd. One thing is for sure: we'll be right in the thick of the playoff hunt again.

And worst-case scenario, we get a top ten pick again next June...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 09:34 AM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
St. Louis is going to be last in the division unless Boyle goes on waivers and they pick him up. They desperately need an offensive defenseman.

And worst-case scenario, we get a top ten pick again next June...
our market cant endure losing, that is the worst case scenario

but I agree, we will battle for the 2-3 spot in the division again this season as long as the goaltending holds up

Old
07-07-2008, 12:15 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

Bertuzzi to the Flames per TSN