HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Free Agency Rumors

Old
07-01-2008, 11:44 AM
braindead

vCash: 500
I would like to have seen Cole in a Preds uniform if the Canes were trading him.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:56 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I would like to have seen Cole in a Preds uniform if the Canes were trading him.
Especially since the gulf between Pitkanen and Zidlicky isn't all that wide. I think it's just a matter of the Canes coveting Joni for a LONG time(how long have these rumors been around?). I'm sure we at least made the offer.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:18 PM
braindead

Maybe Vermette for Zids now? or one of the 28 Habs LW's?

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:18 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'm still holding out hope for Cheechoo, although the Eklund factor poisons any hope I might have.

Old
07-02-2008, 11:58 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Hossa signs with the Wings, 1 year, 7.4 million dollars.

I guess we get to hope that we've done enough to maintain our second place in the division\8th playoff spot.

Old
07-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Hossa signs with the Wings, 1 year, 7.4 million dollars.

I guess we get to hope that we've done enough to maintain our second place in the division\8th playoff spot.
I honestly believe we're third place material at this point ... Poile sitting on his thumbs ... ... unless he signs Laraques and puts him with Jones & Wilson (I hope he makes the team) then our team isn't going to make the playoffs

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:18 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
I honestly believe we're third place material at this point ... Poile sitting on his thumbs ... ... unless he signs Laraques and puts him with Jones & Wilson (I hope he makes the team) then our team isn't going to make the playoffs
We'll see. We have a strong upside that will put us squarely in second place if our players progress and Ellis has a repeat of last season.

To me, despite all the acquisitions, goaltending will be the key in our division. Is Osgood the answer all season long for Detroit? Last year, it seemed like no matter the goalie, he could do no wrong. Is Jimmy Howard ready to step in if the 36 year old Osgood struggles to play his first full season in 5 years?

Is Huet the answer? He's been a very good goalie in the NHL for the past few seasons, but so was Khabibulin when Chicago landed him.

LeClaire in Columbus is going to have some questions surrouding him though he answered several last season. Still, he's hardly a guarantee for a 2.4 GAA and a .915 save percentage.

St. Louis' goaltending seems stable enough. But Legace is no superstar.

The end result is that this division is loaded with talent across all teams, but a lot of question marks in net. And you can never tell the effect a UFA will have on a team regardless of the hype going in.

So I wouldn't worry too much right now. There's so much potential volatility in this division. I could see one injury costing any of the teams but Detroit two spots in the division standings.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

There are still plenty of forwards that would slot in fine as a top 6 winger. The question is: do we like any of them? I know we had a lot of interest in Demitra several years ago....

07-02-2008, 12:27 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
There are still plenty of forwards that would slot in fine as a top 6 winger. The question is: do we like any of them? I know we had a lot of interest in Demitra several years ago....
I wonder what it would cost to get him. The acquisition isn't going to please a lot of fans because he's not physical at all and they'll claim he'll fold in the playoffs. But for the right price, I would definitely take a stab at him. We need to worry more about making the playoffs than about success in the playoffs.

Old
07-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
I wonder what it would cost to get him. The acquisition isn't going to please a lot of fans because he's not physical at all and they'll claim he'll fold in the playoffs. But for the right price, I would definitely take a stab at him. We need to worry more about making the playoffs than about success in the playoffs.
A large part of our problems isn't really the lack of size in the top 6 - it is the lack of size in the bottom 6, and the bottom 6's inability to play at even strength. Our third and fourth lines last year were comprised of PKers and agitators that sucked at even strength hockey and were poor checkers. This should start to change a bit as guys like Pihlstrom make the roster, and if a true top 6 is brought in, sliding Bonk into a defensive role is where he is best.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:40 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
A large part of our problems isn't really the lack of size in the top 6 - it is the lack of size in the bottom 6, and the bottom 6's inability to play at even strength. Our third and fourth lines last year were comprised of PKers and agitators that sucked at even strength hockey and were poor checkers. This should start to change a bit as guys like Pihlstrom make the roster, and if a true top 6 is brought in, sliding Bonk into a defensive role is where he is best.
You are preaching to the choir.

Old
07-02-2008, 03:34 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Columbus trades Fritsche and Zherdev to the Rangers for Tyutin and Backman.

Suddenly I don't feel so bad about the Zidlicky trade. What a horrible deal for the BJs.

Old
07-02-2008, 03:46 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

that has gotta hurt. There must be another shoe about to drop.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:59 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Columbus trades Fritsche and Zherdev to the Rangers for Tyutin and Backman.

Suddenly I don't feel so bad about the Zidlicky trade. What a horrible deal for the BJs.
Disagree on the Zherdev trade. He's one of the most overrated players on this message board. He had lots of work ethic and dedication questions towards the end of last season. Columbus didn't get a bonanza in return, but they certainly made their team better, in my opinion.

I've been more impressed with CBJ this offseason than in any other offseason they've had. Don't be surprised if this is the year for them to break through and make the playoffs. I know that sounds crazy, but I predicted gloom for them each and every offseason even when they were players in the UFA marketplace. This year, they seem to have a plan and are working towards a goal (something you see out of teams like Nashville, Detroit, etc.).

I know I'll take a lot of flack for this. But if their goaltending holds together, watch out for them. You can win in the modern NHL with subpar offense. Few teams, if any, ever do it with subpar defense. This might be the first year their defense core isn't subpar.

Old
07-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Jarnberg

I think Tyutin is exactly what they need. I think they win that deal assuming they sign another forward to make up for Zherdev's lost points..

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:12 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I think Tyutin is exactly what they need. I think they win that deal assuming they sign another forward to make up for Zherdev's lost points..
That's the big if. Tyutin has regressed somewhat in the last couple of years, he's yet another third pairing d-man(to complement Mike Commodore, who they overpaid yesterday) when what they NEED is a top two guy. Instead, they ship off their second highest scorer for more of the same.