HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL is trying to rob the Flames : Non Goal (all that talk here plz)

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2004, 11:16 PM
chris_dub
Avoid Catalina...

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to chris_dub
If it was such an obvious goal, then how come no Calgary Flame made any attempt to contest it?

NHL is robbing the Flames...right...

Old
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
It takes more time than they took to look at more than one angle. Sure, after you look at all the angles, you might see only one that showed the puck, but you still have to cue up and look at all of them to make sure.

You don't know until you've watched it from EVERY angle that only one angle is good. I just don't think they had time to do that. The puck got dropped and someone went, "Oops!"
If they felt there was possibly a goal scored, they would have called downstairs. They didn't. It is that simple.

Old
Rschmitz

It looked in to me, but the puck was in the air which could have made it look further in than it actually was. They deffinatly should have taken more time to review it though..and then they'd have to try and decide whether Gelinas had a distinct kicking motion. Kill the conspiracy theory though

Old
06-05-2004, 11:17 PM
Youreallygotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
It doesn't have to be a distinct kicking motion to be a kick in my book. I think it would have counted because it was a legal kick, but the foot is moving forward and makes contact with the puck. It's a kick, just a legal one. Let's just say he accidentally kicked it, which in this context makes it legal. I never said it shouldn't have counted. Just that a puck off a foot moving towards the net is not how Stanley Cup games should end IMO.
i dont think being an accident makes it legal. just my opinion. I'll shut up now

Old
06-05-2004, 11:18 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus
That didn't blow a Stanley Cup championship.
I never said it did, nor do I care. I was talking about bizzarre goals or no goals. Nothing tops LeClair's. The Gelinas play is different and doesn't happen often, but I never recall a goal like LeClair's.

Old
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus
That didn't blow a Stanley Cup championship.
Neither did this one, actually. There was time left in a regulation when the goal/non-goal occurred.

Old
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
I thought there was a rule that the video people can CALL DOWNSTAIRS.

Is this true or no?

Old
06-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
If they felt there was possibly a goal scored, they would have called downstairs. They didn't. It is that simple.
Probably because they didn't look at it until ABC pointed it out.

I'm not crying conspiracy either. I think it was a mistake.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:20 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
I thought there was a rule that the video people can CALL DOWNSTAIRS.

Is this true or no?
This is indeed true. Everything is supposed to be automatically reviewed by the upstairs. Although, I don't know for sure that they did. That particular puck was pretty much impossible to see with the naked eye, and I have no idea if they thought to even look at it in slo-mo (but they claimed they did).

Old
06-05-2004, 11:22 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
Neither did this one, actually. There was time left in a regulation when the goal/non-goal occurred.
Agreed, and no Calgary fan can say this cost them the game. Who is to say that that goal doesn't spark the Bolts who pot two in the final few minutes to win it. Each goal sets off a chain reaction that is unique.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Silver

Quote:
Agreed, and no Calgary fan can say this cost them the game. Who is to say that that goal doesn't spark the Bolts who pot two in the final few minutes to win it. Each goal sets off a chain reaction that is unique.
Oh c'mon you're really reaching here.

Possible? Yep...but not bloody likely. I guess I could win the lottery tomorrow as well...but I'm not banking on it.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:25 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Exactly. Teams play completely different hockey when down a goal. Hell, Tampa would've had at least a minute of desperation with their goalie pulled for the series. You *know* they'd throw everything at the net.

All I'm saying is, if we conjecture one way and say it was a goal, by no means do we just declare Calgary the Cup winners. That's complete B.S. as well IMO.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Leon Trotsky

Even Sutter called it a non-goal, so give it a rest. The NHL and the Flames see the play exactly the same way. Two angles showed it to be inconclusive.

Old
SabresFan44

stop

Stop whining flame fans.....the puck wasnt flat on its back, and it dont matter. Just enjoy nhl while its here its going away soon...game 7 upcomming, if the flames arent complaning about that kicked in non goal there complaning about refs and suspensions. Stop whining...
Now i'm going to enjoy game 7 and anjoy watching Brooke Hogan sing once again.....

And if anyone knows about being screwed it's us Sabre fans.
FLAMES WEREN'T SCREWED!

Old
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Oh c'mon you're really reaching here.

Possible? Yep...but not bloody likely. I guess I could win the lottery tomorrow as well...but I'm not banking on it.
Odds favor Calgary in this situation, but it's still silly to declare them winner had they gotten a lead in the 3rd. Team score one goal with 5 minutes left in regulation all the freaking time. It just takes one lucky bounce, mistake, or great play.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:29 PM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Neither CBC or ABC has an angle that shows conclusive evidence that the puck was completely across the goal line.

The overhead shows nothing, same with the net cam. The side angle that shows the puck has possibilities for optical illusions incase the puck was in the air. That angle is not 100% conclusive evidence that puck was completely across the goal line.

Now please quit crying conspiracy.

Whatever Van.

People aren't idiots. ABC showed a freeze frame. The puck WAS over the line. The picture was frozen and the puck was over the line. That's it. Conspiracy doesn't matter. Calgary got screwed.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:30 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Probably because they didn't look at it until ABC pointed it out.

I'm not crying conspiracy either. I think it was a mistake.
I don't by the conspiracy theory either, but I think the NHL did blow the call in that I don't think any review actually took place until CBC/ABC picked it up. My only theory is the NHL was face saving when they sent out their little memo to the broadcast saying how they reviewed it and it was inconclusive.

The sad thing is someone on the broadcast teams picked it up before league officials, you know, the guys trained to do this. Someone on the broadcast saw something that made them take a closer look, it makes you wonder about the competence.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:30 PM
SabresFan44

Liquid Rage read my last post....Flamers weren't screwed....typical leaf fan you are. WHINE, WHINE, WHINE

Old
06-05-2004, 11:33 PM
Hockeypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
Whatever Van.

People aren't idiots. ABC showed a freeze frame. The puck WAS over the line. The picture was frozen and the puck was over the line. That's it. Conspiracy doesn't matter. Calgary got screwed.
Want some cheese with that wine?

Old
06-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Siberian

Gelinas goal=Carters goal against Sweden in 2003
Very similar goals, obviously IIHF has more credibility!

Old
06-05-2004, 11:35 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
Whatever Van.

The angle was from a side camera at an angular position. That angle cannot be used as clear evidence that the puck crossed the line. It needed to be backed up by an angle with no possibility of optical illusions.

How hard is that to understand?

The puck may look like it crossed the line, but that does not make it conclusive evidence.

As mentioned, the Calgary Flames even said that the NHL could not award a goal based on the camera angles they had.

Old
06-05-2004, 11:39 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i'll convert the nieminen thread into a thread for his subject.

Closed Thread