HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

See you Sean

Old
07-02-2008, 12:30 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

vCash: 500

Thanks for the great memories Aves. You'll be missed dearly

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Poozer

Dallas Stars sign UFA Forward Sean Avery to a four-year, $15.5 million contract

Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
+1

Good post SoS. I was going to reply to that ignorant post, but your post said it best.
Yeah but I find it ironic when other players do it in the NHL they "sell out" or its "all about the money" It's such a double standard in the sporting world. It's not an ignorant post its the truth. If Avery claimed he loved Manhattan, New York, the Rangers, etc; as much as he did he would not mind signing for $0.5 million less. Lets be realistic, for him it was solely about the money. Players take discounts often to stay where they want to stay. Avery didn't so to me, he never really wanted to stay a Ranger. Flat out if you want to stay in a location you love you'll take a measly hit of $0.5 million to stay there. Anyone who doesn't think that would have to be ignorant.

Lets face it, $4 million for a player who is injury prone and has never scored 20 goals just isn't worth it. Not when players like Malone who have scored 20+ goals several years, bring tons of size, intensity, etc; to the game were signed for $4.1 million a year. I'm happy he is gone, especially at this price. He isn't worth that kind of value. I've never been the biggest Avery fan to begin with but it does just leave us with another hole to fill. Another 2nd / 3rd line hole has to be filled.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HAPPY HOUR

Stars@ Rangers early next season is gonna be fun.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vtred

vCash: 1679
link

http://sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/07/02/avery_stars/

vtred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poozer View Post
Dallas Stars sign UFA Forward Sean Avery to a four-year, $15.5 million contract
Is this accurate? 3.75M/year? or is it 4M/year ?

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

I'm so pissed off right now you have no idea.

I can't believe he actually left, and Sather let him go.

So stupid.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Poozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Is this accurate? 3.75M/year? or is it 4M/year ?
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11...opRelated_main

Is where I got that number from. That'd be 3.875/year I believe, but another report says 16/4.

Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:35 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
sather is dumb enough said. while teams were waiving players and buying them out, sather just held on to backman and hollweg, they are useless and taking up important cap space

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

If Sean really wanted to stay in New York like he supposedly wanted to, he would've accepted the 3.35 million/year deal he was offered yesterday. I loved Sean to death, don't get me wrong, but for a guy that disappears half the time in the playoffs when the team needs him most to do his thing, I don't see how a 2 million/year raise is justified.

Count me amazed if Sean plays any more than 75 games in a season for the rest of his career. The guy has been injury prone beyond belief. I for one wouldn't pay $4 million a year for a guy that will give you only 50-60 games a year.

Granted he played through a lacerated spleen in Game 3, he was a non factor that game and in Games 1 and 2 of the Pittsburgh series outside of a single goal in Game 1. He was paid to be an agitator, but did he get in the face of Fleury or throw any of Hossa, Malkin, or Crosby off of their games at any point in that series? No.

I wish Sean the best, and I give him credit for playing the free agency market like a fiddle. Go and take a look at the Stars board and the Stars' fans reaction to this deal, just to put it in perspective.

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
Good riddance. Greedy *******
lol, what a joke u r... Why say good riddance, or greedy. All Avery has done for this team is win. I'll miss Avery!

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Sockosensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Good. Now he can intern at Billy Bobs Smokehouse Grill.
hahahahaha!
I would have liked to have him back, but that's just too much money.
Let's see what happens to an agitator when he's got the cash and becomes complacent.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:36 PM
ogie

at least he didn't sign in the eastern conference.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rac3 View Post
I'm just waiting for him to say some garbage about New York, Ranger fans, and management.
i can see him saying bad things about managment, but fans treated him like he was a king, and same goes for New York City clubs.

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Yeah but I find it ironic when other players do it in the NHL they "sell out" or its "all about the money" It's such a double standard in the sporting world. It's not an ignorant post its the truth. If Avery claimed he loved Manhattan, New York, the Rangers, etc; as much as he did he would not mind signing for $0.5 million less. Lets be realistic, for him it was solely about the money. Players take discounts often to stay where they want to stay. Avery didn't so to me, he never really wanted to stay a Ranger. Flat out if you want to stay in a location you love you'll take a measly hit of $0.5 million to stay there. Anyone who doesn't think that would have to be ignorant.

Lets face it, $4 million for a player who is injury prone and has never scored 20 goals just isn't worth it. Not when players like Malone who have scored 20+ goals several years, bring tons of size, intensity, etc; to the game were signed for $4.1 million a year. I'm happy he is gone, especially at this price. He isn't worth that kind of value. I've never been the biggest Avery fan to begin with but it does just leave us with another hole to fill. Another 2nd / 3rd line hole has to be filled.
how much money DO YOU make that $500k can be called "only?"

from all reports the Rangers were $1M less than the Dallas here...These guys have a small window to make as much money as possible...Avery did the right thing for himself..

IF the Rangers played this smart they would've locked him up longterm last offseason for much less money a year...Sather screwed this whole situation up...eitherway it's time to move on...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:38 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
sather is an idiot.. im steaming right now.. anyone who said good riddance and that hes greedy has their head shoved wayy up where the sun dont shine.. sathers an idiot.. this is ridiculous.. another half million a year and we couldve had this guy

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
sather is an idiot.. im steaming right now.. anyone who said good riddance and that hes greedy has their head shoved wayy up where the sun dont shine.. sathers an idiot.. this is ridiculous.. another half million a year and we couldve had this guy
i agree, Rozsi<<<Avery

Old
07-02-2008, 12:41 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
how much money DO YOU make that $500k can be called "only?"

from all reports the Rangers were $1M less than the Dallas here...These guys have a small window to make as much money as possible...Avery did the right thing for himself..

IF the Rangers played this smart they would've locked him up longterm last offseason for much less money a year...Sather screwed this whole situation up...eitherway it's time to move on...
we said that before soo many times, remember when he signed malakhov over schneider and signed ulanov all the other ex oilers, ciger, rucinsky etc

Old
07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
If Sean really wanted to stay in New York like he supposedly wanted to, he would've accepted the 3.35 million/year deal he was offered yesterday. I loved Sean to death, don't get me wrong, but for a guy that disappears half the time in the playoffs when the team needs him most to do his thing, I don't see how a 2 million/year raise is justified.

Count me amazed if Sean plays any more than 75 games in a season for the rest of his career. The guy has been injury prone beyond belief. I for one wouldn't pay $4 million a year for a guy that will give you only 50-60 games a year.

Granted he played through a lacerated spleen in Game 3, he was a non factor that game and in Games 1 and 2 of the Pittsburgh series outside of a single goal in Game 1. He was paid to be an agitator, but did he get in the face of Fleury or throw any of Hossa, Malkin, or Crosby off of their games at any point in that series? No.

I wish Sean the best, and I give him credit for playing the free agency market like a fiddle. Go and take a look at the Stars board and the Stars' fans reaction to this deal, just to put it in perspective.
What $3.35M dollar deal was he offered yesterday? didn't the Rangers not get a call back from his agent?

Bottomline the only loyalty that exists in sports is between the fans and the teams they root for...players are loyal to there wallets..it doesn't mean they are greedy it means they are smart...

To not give Avery a pass during the pittsburgh series (when he did score a goal in a game the Rangers should've won) is just plain stupid...no offense but that's the reality of your statement..

he played a whole game with a lacerated spleen..that isn't a torn muscle we are talking about....

Old
07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

wow avery has a no trade clause

Old
07-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
wow avery has a no trade clause
that one is going to hurt them.

Old
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
we said that before soo many times, remember when he signed malakhov over schneider and signed ulanov all the other ex oilers, ciger, rucinsky etc
to be fair please list the good things sather has done here...

Old
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
He might have been my favorite player on the team last year. I knew this was coming, but I'm still sad about it.

Good luck to Sean in Dallas, and congrats on the great contract.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
would u give him a limited no movement clause???

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2422...s=topStory_nhl

Old
07-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Guys, it's not the money, it's the years. This is probably Avery's last contract (I believe he's said as much), and obviously the Rangers front office didn't think he'd be a good fit for much more than 2 years.

It'll be interesting to see how Stars fans react when he plays less than 65 games next year.

So long Sean, it was nice having you here (sort of).

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote