HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

See you Sean

Old
07-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
wow avery has a no trade clause
It's a limited no movement clause.

Carlos Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:44 PM
SML

vCash: 500
And the most entertaining tenure in recent Rangers history comes to an end... Good for him. He's not big enough to last too long playing the way he plays. Judging by his "internship" he's clearly a guy who only plays hockey to support his lifestyle. He's a strange one no doubt. Damn good hockey player who seems to not like anyone who likes hockey. Hates canadian coverage and "hockey obsessed canadians". A total prima donna off the ice, but a gritty, lunchpail guy on it. I'm glad he got his payday. I don't know how his act is going to fly in Texas, though. Somewhere, Marty Brodeur just breathed a sigh of relief.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:45 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Well, the moderator in me is thrilled.

Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Terrible non-signing that is gonna come back to hurt the Rangers.

For Dallas, you now have the guy that is going to drive the Red Wings crazy!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Guys, it's not the money, it's the years. This is probably Avery's last contract (I believe he's said as much), and obviously the Rangers front office didn't think he'd be a good fit for much more than 2 years.

It'll be interesting to see how Stars fans react when he plays less than 65 games next year.

So long Sean, it was nice having you here (sort of).
Avery is still only 28... not sure if this will be his last contract or not. Any other player, I'd say definitely wouldn't be, but Avery marches to his own drummer so who knows.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:46 PM
ogie

i like Avery a lot but i am sorry to say 3.8mil a year is alot to play a guy who gets hurt a lot and is a schwanz hair away from permanent injury or giving it all up to work for vogue

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Avery is still only 28... not sure if this will be his last contract or not. Any other player, I'd say definitely wouldn't be, but Avery marches to his own drummer so who knows.
He said this summer that he knows his hockey career is limited, and he is already thinking about moving on to a more creative career. Just reading between the lines I guess.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
You will be missed Sean. You were a great Ranger and Sather will never admit to it but he will regret letting you go. It's Schneider all over again but on offense. And the worst part is I don't see the outrage of overpaying a bum like Roszival but no one here wanted to overpay this guy who was a zillion times more valuable to our success.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:51 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post

and avs as well tucker avery and lappierrer vs avery, both players hate him lol

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:52 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
You will be missed Sean. You were a great Ranger and Sather will never admit to it but he will regret letting you go. It's Schneider all over again but on offense. And the worst part is I don't see the outrage of overpaying a bum like Roszival but no one here wanted to overpay this guy who was a zillion times more valuable to our success.
rozsival did get overpaid, that is for sure. i guess orpik will get what redden got

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Let me preface this by saying that I will miss watching Avery on the ice, but his off the ice antics, including his salary demands doesn't make this a sad day for me. For a guy thats a reach for the second line, has never scored more than 20 goals, and cant stay healthy due to his style, he has certainly gained a bit of a cult following amongst Ranger fans.

The fact that a lot of Ranger fans are shedding tears that Avery is leaving and basically kicking Jagr out the door is pretty sickening.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:53 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
What $3.35M dollar deal was he offered yesterday? didn't the Rangers not get a call back from his agent?

Bottomline the only loyalty that exists in sports is between the fans and the teams they root for...players are loyal to there wallets..it doesn't mean they are greedy it means they are smart...

To not give Avery a pass during the pittsburgh series (when he did score a goal in a game the Rangers should've won) is just plain stupid...no offense but that's the reality of your statement..

he played a whole game with a lacerated spleen..that isn't a torn muscle we are talking about....
As per one of the beat blogs, I'm fairly certain he was offered that. If Sather offered him less, then I understand why Sean left. But if the difference between staying and leaving was 500,000 dollars, something isn't right. That is where the difference between being greedy and being smart is a gray area.

I give Sean a lot of credit for playing that one game during the Pittsburgh series, but not playing his role as an agitator in the series played a small part in the Rangers not winning those games. The Pens would have been a lot easier to beat if any of Fleury, Hossa, Crosby, and Malkin were not on their games. As you saw, we got torched by all four of those players in that series.

Good luck Sean, I wish you nothing but success.

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:53 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
If Sean really wanted to stay in New York like he supposedly wanted to, he would've accepted the 3.35 million/year deal he was offered yesterday.

Count me amazed if Sean plays any more than 75 games in a season for the rest of his career. The guy has been injury prone beyond belief. I for one wouldn't pay $4 million a year for a guy that will give you only 50-60 games a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Lets face it, $4 million for a player who is injury prone and has never scored 20 goals just isn't worth it. Not when players like Malone who have scored 20+ goals several years, bring tons of size, intensity, etc; to the game were signed for $4.1 million a year. I'm happy he is gone, especially at this price. He isn't worth that kind of value. I've never been the biggest Avery fan to begin with but it does just leave us with another hole to fill. Another 2nd / 3rd line hole has to be filled.
For me I think the NTC and the # of years is what evetually was the deal braker for Slats.

The guy WILL break down and miss games - he's not getting any younger.

Great player for what he is but at the rate he's going I'm thinking Slats thought it wasn't worth the long term risk.

We'll miss ya Sean.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:54 PM
NJrocket24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post

Explain to me how this hurts the rangers? We're losing a totally average player who agitates. He has heart but he does not provide toughness and he doesn't intimidate anyone. When teams tune him out hes just a sideshow. He has largely disappeared at times. Offsides, turnovers, defensive lapses, Off-ice issues, negatives outweight the positives.

Oh he makes the rangers go. If you have to rely on Sean Avery to get your team "up" for games, your team has major leadership issues.

I'm not sad, i'm not mad, I say thanks for the effort, but we really don't need you at 4 million.

There is a Malik winning percentage too.

NJrocket24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:55 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Didn't Slats say during his conference call last night that he placed a few calls to Averys agent yesterday and had not heard back from them?

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Heres all I can say about this...

A little part of my soul just died.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Celestial Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Yesterday's Avery lovers are tomorrow's Voros lovers.

What will be interesting is to find out who replaces Malik as team scapegoat.
That is saved for Rozi.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:59 PM
mrhockey193195

ALthough I had a feeling this would happen, it'll take a while for me to accept it. It's hard to see a fan-favorite like Avery leave the team, despite his numerous drawbacks (i.e. disappearing in the second round, not staying healthy, etc.). Hope he does well in Dallas.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Yesterday's Avery lovers are tomorrow's Voros lovers.

What will be interesting is to find out who replaces Malik as team scapegoat.
Pretty clear that Christian Backman has already claimed that spot.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Celestial Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
i can see him saying bad things about managment, but fans treated him like he was a king, and same goes for New York City clubs.
I don't think that would stop him, especially when he plays us.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Didn't Slats say during his conference call last night that he placed a few calls to Averys agent yesterday and had not heard back from them?

Sather said that he put in one call to Avery's agent and got no return call, which he said was not usual.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Blueshirts Blueline

Good luck, Sean. I wish him all the best and losing him is really going to leave me pissed off for a long time. I knew he was going to be gone, but now that it's finally confirmed I can't believe it. We finally got someone who loved being here and would do anything for the team and he's gone...man, this sucks.

Blueshirts Blueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DutchShamrock

It's a real shame for the Rangers to lose him, at least it was to a Western team. It's not often you get a player that makes the entire team better and for under $8m. He brought another dimension to this team and they had a confidence that was lacking prior to him and when he was out of the lineup. People underestimate his impact beyond simple point totals.

The irony to me is that his attention getting and presense were a valuable asset. With a team full of youth and inexperience, Avery took the spotlight off of the young and potentially intimidated players trying to find their game in the NHL. While Avery was busy grabbing the spotlight with his antics with Brodeur and Malik, guys like Staal, Girardi, Callahan, Dubinsky and Dawes were able to fly under the radar and make the mistakes they're going to make and learn on the job. Expectations are high in New York and the critics are harsh.

I liken his tenure to those of Barnaby and Simon. Never huge point getters, but their hard work, grit, and willingness to stick up for teammates rubbed off on other players.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
As per one of the beat blogs, I'm fairly certain he was offered that. If Sather offered him less, then I understand why Sean left. But if the difference between staying and leaving was 500,000 dollars, something isn't right. That is where the difference between being greedy and being smart is a gray area.

I give Sean a lot of credit for playing that one game during the Pittsburgh series, but not playing his role as an agitator in the series played a small part in the Rangers not winning those games. The Pens would have been a lot easier to beat if any of Fleury, Hossa, Crosby, and Malkin were not on their games. As you saw, we got torched by all four of those players in that series.

Good luck Sean, I wish you nothing but success.
Again..how much money do you make that $500k is chump change? we are talking about a total of $2M overall here...

these players aren't greedy they are being paid by owners that are dumb enough to spend this much money....

not playing his role as an agitator? come on..you want to use the cliche gray area but there is a legit gray area between being an agitator and taking stupid penalties..what was avery suppossed to do in that series where if you blow on a penguins player it was a penalty?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:07 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Brodeur can now sleep sound at night
With the way your team's roster is now lookin', I'm sure he's sleeping just fine now.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote