HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zidlicky traded

Old
07-02-2008, 09:10 AM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Gladiator style fight to the death?
But that only eliminates one of them...

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:19 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Waive them good-bye

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:19 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Zidlicky was passing on the PP, not shooting. You can call him out for not scoring a bunch of goals, but you cannot blame him for all the passes our forwards flubbed on the PP. Zidlicky was not our problem on the PP last year. In fact, our defense was not our problem. It was our forwards.
I didn't watch as much of the team last year as I have in previous years, but doesn't he still have a terrible point shot? The last few years I've seen him, his point shot has generally been high and unmanageable. It leads to few deflections and has a higher likelihood of hitting the glass than creating any ancillary scoring chances.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:41 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
I didn't watch as much of the team last year as I have in previous years, but doesn't he still have a terrible point shot? The last few years I've seen him, his point shot has generally been high and unmanageable. It leads to few deflections and has a higher likelihood of hitting the glass than creating any ancillary scoring chances.
Yeah I mentioned this on the other board among a couple of other negatives to his powerplay performance that makes me think he is highly overrated on the PP.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:49 AM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Yes - while he was not the sole reason for our PP struggles, it was his offensive abilities, specifically on the PP, that supposedly made him valuable to the team. Although he led the d-men in points, he certainly had more PP time than the others and also took more risks than the others - and his offensive output did not justify his salary or his risk-taking. I don't know why his goal scoring plummeted so dramatically, but his shot the past two seasons has been waaaaay off the mark. Again, I think this will be a case of addition by subtraction for the PP - give Weber more time on the #1 PP unit and I think things will improve.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

So most of you here think that in getting Ryan Jones (not to mention a 2nd Rd. pick in next year's draft), the Preds made the wrong move. Gee, I'm wondering how many have actually SEEN Ryan play. I followed Ryan closely for four years at Miami. This past season, there were very few collegians that were as good as or better than Ryan, and that includes the myriad of first round picks that played this season.

As mentioned by a few here, Ryan brings a number of things to the table, but two things that no one has mentioned that he brings is heart and the right attitude. Yes, those ARE two important things. You can have all of the talent in the world, but if you don't have the heart and the right attitude to go with them, you're not getting very far. He cares about winnning, he cares about his team and there aren't many players in the collegiate ranks that you'll find who works and sacrifices as much or as hard as Ryan does. Part of what has made Ryan so successful is that he is truly a team-first kind of guy. Individual accolades mean nothing to him if his team aren't a part of them. I cannot even begin to count how many times throughout his college career, where Ryan basically either carried or jump started his team, whether it was in scoring that timely goal, mixing it up with an opposing players or simply giving his teammates a "pep talk". And to whoever posted earlier about Ryan being slow - you're kidding right?

Minnesota pressed Ryan to sign last summer. He declined and his reason wasn't because he wanted more money. It was because his Miami team had a legitimate shot at winning the National Championship this year and he wanted to be a part of it with his teammates and best friends. Furthermore, the extra year better prepares Ryan for the demands of pro hockey and he would be ready to give it his all. Now had the scenario in Miami been different coming into this season (07-08), Ryan might have left last summer.

Personally, I think the Preds did really well with this deal. I know Zidlicky is a good player and all, but I wouldn't underestimate what Ryan can do and bring for the Preds. I think all of you naysayers will be pleasantly surprised. He's a very skilled, multi-dimensional player with a very big heart. He's definitely not a guy you want mad at you on the ice, but he's a heckuva nice guy off of it.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
So most of you here think that in getting Ryan Jones (not to mention a 2nd Rd. pick in next year's draft), the Preds made the wrong move. Gee, I'm wondering how many have actually SEEN Ryan play. I followed Ryan closely for four years at Miami. This past season, there were very few collegians that were as good as or better than Ryan, and that includes the myriad of first round picks that played this season.

As mentioned by a few here, Ryan brings a number of things to the table, but two things that no one has mentioned that he brings is heart and the right attitude. Yes, those ARE two important things. You can have all of the talent in the world, but if you don't have the heart and the right attitude to go with them, you're not getting very far. He cares about winnning, he cares about his team and there aren't many players in the collegiate ranks that you'll find who works and sacrifices as much or as hard as Ryan does. Part of what has made Ryan so successful is that he is truly a team-first kind of guy. Individual accolades mean nothing to him if his team aren't a part of them. I cannot even begin to count how many times throughout his college career, where Ryan basically either carried or jump started his team, whether it was in scoring that timely goal, mixing it up with an opposing players or simply giving his teammates a "pep talk". And to whoever posted earlier about Ryan being slow - you're kidding right?

Minnesota pressed Ryan to sign last summer. He declined and his reason wasn't because he wanted more money. It was because his Miami team had a legitimate shot at winning the National Championship this year and he wanted to be a part of it with his teammates and best friends. Furthermore, the extra year better prepares Ryan for the demands of pro hockey and he would be ready to give it his all. Now had the scenario in Miami been different coming into this season (07-08), Ryan might have left last summer.

Personally, I think the Preds did really well with this deal. I know Zidlicky is a good player and all, but I wouldn't underestimate what Ryan can do and bring for the Preds. I think all of you naysayers will be pleasantly surprised. He's a very skilled, multi-dimensional player with a very big heart. He's definitely not a guy you want mad at you on the ice, but he's a heckuva nice guy off of it.
as usual Oilers Chick bringing the knowledge

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:56 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:

Thanks, Chick. I'm loving the idea someone brought up of a Geoffrion-Wilson-Jones line.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:22 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
So most of you here think that in getting Ryan Jones (not to mention a 2nd Rd. pick in next year's draft), the Preds made the wrong move.
I read the whole thread again because that wasn't my impression. The first five or so posts were negative but then it turned positive. I would say more than half seem to like the deal, although I didn't count. Many of the original naysayers changed their mind after a little "internet scouting." So give the board some credit.

No I haven't seen him play but I posted that I liked the deal, although unsure if he was ever projected as a top six type guy or a servicable upgrade to third and fourth lines. Either way I liked the deal.

Quote:
And to whoever posted earlier about Ryan being slow - you're kidding right?
That was me I believe. I didn't say he was slow, said that was the first report I read, something about not good footspeed. HF report says "not the quickest guy."

I said immediately that his coach says he's a good skater. My point was the knock on footspeed stuff seemed a bit bogus. How many 215 guys are super fast. If they are and have skills they are superstars.

Thanks for the input. Good to hear from someone saying he can play, who saw him play.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Sounds good OC. I can only hope that your glowing report translates to him performing for us in Nashville. I'll readily admit that I had no idea (and still hardly have any idea) who he is or what he brings to the table.

07-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Sounds good OC. I can only hope that your glowing report translates to him performing for us in Nashville. I'll readily admit that I had no idea (and still hardly have any idea) who he is or what he brings to the table.

What would like to know about Ryan? I can give you quite a report on him.

And no, I can't tell you whether he prefers blondes, brunettes or redheads because I honestly don't know. You'll just have to ask him that yourself.

Old
07-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
What would like to know about Ryan? I can give you quite a report on him.

And no, I can't tell you whether he prefers blondes, brunettes or redheads because I honestly don't know. You'll just have to ask him that yourself.
That Counting Crows "Mr. Jones & Me" Youtube was good enough for me ... but in all seriousness ... how would you compare his skating to other NHL power forwards ... eg Penner, and players of that ilk

Old
07-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
That Counting Crows "Mr. Jones & Me" Youtube was good enough for me ... but in all seriousness ... how would you compare his skating to other NHL power forwards ... eg Penner, and players of that ilk
If we're talking about just Penner here, IMO I think Ryan is a better skater as far as his speed and agility go, though I think Penner is a bit more of a powerful (for a lack of a better term) skater that Ryan is. This is not to say that Ryan isn't strong on his skates because he is. Ryan isn't as fast as say an Andrew Cogliano. He has good speed but he isn't a speed demon. But he's fast enough to get loose pucks quickly. Where Ryan is going to be most effective is in utilizing his combination of speed, grit and determination. He'll crash the net hard and he'll also dig hard for loose pucks. He's also very effective along the boards and in the corners too. Because of his size and strength, he's not going to get knocked off of pucks that easily. And because he's plays with that grittiness, he'll fight for the puck tooth and nail. If it means dropping the mitts to keep momentum going, he'll do it. He just couldn't do it much in college much because of NCAA rules governing fighting. Bottom line is, he's not giving up on the play without a fight.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I guess my real questions are - does he have room to grow? does he project out to be a 2nd liner? third liner? 4th liner?

You input so far has been amazing.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:09 PM
madpooh

I've only seen Ryan Jones a couple of times but he seems like a good fit for Nashville. He's the type of guy that if he makes the team this year he could be put on the 4th line would contribute and it wouldn't hurt his development. I think it's very possible he could become a good 2nd liner. Someone like a Stillman, or Gary Roberts type player. I am hoping that he's on the 4th line brings a little more offense than previous to that role and over the next few years slowly moves his way up the depth chart.

madpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:21 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

IF Jones, VK and this pick all pan out as hoped then this could be a good move for the Preds. If not, we just sent the third lowest cap hit of the top 20 scoring d-men away for a prospect and a 2nd round pick.

Now to hope that Hornqvist is the top six forward we need since it doesn't look like one is coming from outside the organization any time soon. The waiting is the hardest part.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:30 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
IF If not, we just sent the third lowest cap hit of the top 20 scoring d-men away for a prospect and a 2nd round pick.
Yeah. That's why I didn't get the "salary dump" comments. I'm sure it was to create space for our other defensemen, and to try to shore up the forward offense depth.

At least we're making some moves. Poile can be aggravating sometimes when he sits tight. I'm encouraged.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpooh View Post
I've only seen Ryan Jones a couple of times but he seems like a good fit for Nashville. He's the type of guy that if he makes the team this year he could be put on the 4th line would contribute and it wouldn't hurt his development. I think it's very possible he could become a good 2nd liner. Someone like a Stillman, or Gary Roberts type player. I am hoping that he's on the 4th line brings a little more offense than previous to that role and over the next few years slowly moves his way up the depth chart.
I just went pavlov

Old
07-02-2008, 03:52 PM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Yeah. That's why I didn't get the "salary dump" comments. I'm sure it was to create space for our other defensemen, and to try to shore up the forward offense depth.

At least we're making some moves. Poile can be aggravating sometimes when he sits tight. I'm encouraged.
I think the "salary dump" comments are relative to the budget of the new ownership group/Nashville generally. Clearly we have a heightened sensitivity to salaries compared to the large market teams, so what might be a very reasonable salary to a team that is spending up to the cap could be very unreasonable based on what our ownership is willing/able to spend. Zids had one of the higher salaries on our team and was at a position with the greatest depth - so certainly saving a few $$ was a motivating factor in the trade.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:45 PM
dulzhok

Bottom line-- this is a trade that may help the future of our team. Meanwhile, we could've used Zidlicky bring in someone who can help now. Almost everyone else in the Central Division and Western Conference have made an effort to better their team.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Bottom line-- this is a trade that may help the future of our team. Meanwhile, we could've used Zidlicky bring in someone who can help now.
Agreed.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:03 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Thus the life of a low budget team. Owners and GMs have to watch the bottom line. It's not always exciting but it's the way it has to be.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:30 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Thus the life of a low budget team. Owners and GMs have to watch the bottom line. It's not always exciting but it's the way it has to be.
While that's certainly true, nothing hurts the bottom line more than losing...and I know it's early, but it's hard to be excited about our chances when everyone around us is stocking up\improving and we're staying a course that barely squeaked us in last year.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Jarnberg

I didn't expect the team to sign any significant free agent. I completely understand the bottom line aspect.

If its a salary dump, then fine. But its hilarious to see fans acting like our team just became a sure fire bet to win the division after acquiring a guy who just finished college and a 2nd round pick for our top offensive defensemen.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:15 PM
RabbinsDuck

Quote:
As mentioned by a few here, Ryan brings a number of things to the table, but two things that no one has mentioned that he brings is heart and the right attitude. Yes, those ARE two important things. You can have all of the talent in the world, but if you don't have the heart and the right attitude to go with them, you're not getting very far. He cares about winnning, he cares about his team and there aren't many players in the collegiate ranks that you'll find who works and sacrifices as much or as hard as Ryan does. Part of what has made Ryan so successful is that he is truly a team-first kind of guy. Individual accolades mean nothing to him if his team aren't a part of them. I cannot even begin to count how many times throughout his college career, where Ryan basically either carried or jump started his team, whether it was in scoring that timely goal, mixing it up with an opposing players or simply giving his teammates a "pep talk".
You just summed up your entire sorry career here in one sentence! If you had a tenth of the heart of Ryan, you'd have made All-American by now! As it is, you just went from third team to the scout team! Get out of here!

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote