HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

See you Sean

Old
07-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Fataldogg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
how much money DO YOU make that $500k can be called "only?"

from all reports the Rangers were $1M less than the Dallas here...These guys have a small window to make as much money as possible...Avery did the right thing for himself..

IF the Rangers played this smart they would've locked him up longterm last offseason for much less money a year...Sather screwed this whole situation up...eitherway it's time to move on...
But this is the sporting world where, lets face it, when you're making multiple millions, $500K is all that much money. You can't compare normal people making normal salary to sports stars making millions upon millions of dollars.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:10 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Pretty clear that Christian Backman has already claimed that spot.
Nah give it time Redden will be the new whipping boy.

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
With the way your team's roster is now lookin', I'm sure he's sleeping just fine now.
We cant all pretend its 1995 again, or pay a 4th line center 2.5 mil.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:11 PM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
With the way your team's roster is now lookin', I'm sure he's sleeping just fine now.
Don't worry, Nigel Dawes is still here

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:12 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Well, the moderator in me is thrilled.
Congrats mods, this will make your job easier.
Congrats Sean, good luck in Dallas and thanks for your time here!

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
But this is the sporting world where, lets face it, when you're making multiple millions, $500K is all that much money. You can't compare normal people making normal salary to sports stars making millions upon millions of dollars.
your right which means avery has a small window to make as much money as possible...who are we to say he's greedy?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Kostas X

Does anyone have the official numbers on the Rangers record with and without Avery in the lineup? I have a conversation with a friend of mine and she doesn't think the loss will be a big deal, but I know they struggled without him. If someone could help me out, you might be helping me get some action here if you catch my drift.

Kostas X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Sarge18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
We cant all pretend its 1995 again, or pay a 4th line center 2.5 mil.
Hey aren't you guys paying that 4th liner more than we are this season?

Sarge18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:33 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

FIRE SATHER FIRE SATHER FIRE SATHER!!!!!!!!

we lost him for 500k....

Sather you're an old, stubborn, *******. You let him go on principle only...not because it was the best thing for the New York Rangers, and their fans. I've hated you forever but now I detest you. I loathe you. If I see you out...I'll dump a beer on you.

maybe he doesn't realize that these guys are hard to find...harder than a scorer..

Nice job Sather, I hate your guts

I wonder if the people saying good riddance understand his value on the team...and how much New Yorkers appreciate how he gives his all every shift....unlike some over the hill players that only try 30% of the time...that we're about to resign. I'm gonna puke.

He got some of my friends that didn't even care about hockey to watch the Rangers with me...enough said.

Last edited by KreiMeARiver*: 07-02-2008 at 01:39 PM.
KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:37 PM
NYR Viper

fine with it......sather went another way....i will see how it turns out but i am ecstatic he went out west

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
SML

Players come and players go. We've had by far the best of it, Rangers fans don't really have to sit idly by and watch their young talent get poached by other teams for big cash. Times have changed. You just can't, in the cap spot we're already in, pay Avery what he just got. Sorry, but those are the breaks. Besides, I think Avery in NY with alot of money and a long term deal may not have worked out. I loved the guy, but I loved the Rangers before he got here and I'll still love them now that he's gone.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:50 PM
NJrocket24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post

He got some of my friends that didn't even care about hockey to watch the Rangers with me...enough said.
They were watching for the sideshow over the top antics, not because of a good player.

NJrocket24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:53 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJrocket24 View Post
They were watching for the sideshow over the top antics, not because of a good player.
incorrect.....they started following the Rangers...and were amazed at the talent level he had in both scoring and agitating....

maybe people who don't care like a soft style of play...well that doesn't win cups...

Old
07-02-2008, 01:55 PM
NYR Viper

avery with morrow........that team will be hard to play against

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:55 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Players come and players go. We've had by far the best of it, Rangers fans don't really have to sit idly by and watch their young talent get poached by other teams for big cash. Times have changed. You just can't, in the cap spot we're already in, pay Avery what he just got. Sorry, but those are the breaks. Besides, I think Avery in NY with alot of money and a long term deal may not have worked out. I loved the guy, but I loved the Rangers before he got here and I'll still love them now that he's gone.

tell me why he doesn't deserve 4mm a year??? Rozy got 5mm a year and he's NOWHERE NEAR as important to the success of the team....PERIOD

argue that point, my friend

Old
07-02-2008, 01:56 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
It's a real shame for the Rangers to lose him, at least it was to a Western team. It's not often you get a player that makes the entire team better and for under $8m. He brought another dimension to this team and they had a confidence that was lacking prior to him and when he was out of the lineup. People underestimate his impact beyond simple point totals.

The irony to me is that his attention getting and presense were a valuable asset. With a team full of youth and inexperience, Avery took the spotlight off of the young and potentially intimidated players trying to find their game in the NHL. While Avery was busy grabbing the spotlight with his antics with Brodeur and Malik, guys like Staal, Girardi, Callahan, Dubinsky and Dawes were able to fly under the radar and make the mistakes they're going to make and learn on the job. Expectations are high in New York and the critics are harsh.

I liken his tenure to those of Barnaby and Simon. Never huge point getters, but their hard work, grit, and willingness to stick up for teammates rubbed off on other players.
Really well said Mugerya.

I'm not gonna go into detail on why I think this is the worst decision we have made post lockout because I've been saying it for the past month now. On the most basic level this really just sucks.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:56 PM
NotAloneJustBlue

What's with all the fatalist comments provoked by Avery's departure? This is almost as ridiculously as the manwagoners for Malone and Campbell. All the UFAs got overpaid and Avery is no different. As far as his departure coming back to haunt the Rangers? Oh please!

I loved the guy and was ecstatic when he got here because this team has been sorely lacking the grit, tenacity, and overall nastiness this guy brought since Gravy left (Barnaby made an honorable effort but Simon, McCarthy, Kaspar, et al went soft in blue). But all is not lost, I love the pop that Callahan plays with and I believe that the more confidence he and others like Staal, Girardi, etc. build while maturing will allow them all to bring much needed edge to the blueshirts.

And let's face it, Avery's style is conducive to injury. I'm not ignoring the stats with him in the lineup but they aren't reason enough to overpay for someone who arguably is not a top four forward. Forget about his antics, I loved the fact that a world class goalie could be thrown off his game by that nonsense so more power to him. But, unless I'm mistaken, didn't he basically disappear in both 2nd rounds of the playoffs (understandably so last year). Yes, he was a good Ranger and he played hard but saying ridiculous things like "he gave it his all" for a 104 games or similar just sounds silly. He disappeared plenty! We will miss his tenacity but hopefully the others will step up and I think, based on all the "give the young guys a chance" mantra, this would be something most on this board would be happy with. Thank you Sean and best of luck, contrary to popular opinion this is NOT the darkest day in Ranger history nor is this something that is going to come back to haunt the Rangers....that is until Sean Avery scores the game winning goal for the Stars to defeat the Rangers in Game 7 of the 2009 Stanley Cup finals...there's better chance of him designing our next alternate jersey.

NotAloneJustBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:01 PM
eco's bones

Loved Sean when he was here and would have given him the $4 mil per. I wish Sather had signed him during the season when they were negotiating. That being the case management decided to go in another direction and Sean did likewise. Once it became clear that he was going to hit July 1 I think Avery had already made up his mind he wouldn't be back. Those are the breaks--we'll have to go on from here without him. It looks to me that the Rangers are intent on bringing more size and grit into the lineup--it was a gripe of mine all last year that we were too small--unfortunately I don't see a lot of talent up front--I guess we'll see.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:03 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Loved Sean when he was here and would have given him the $4 mil per. I wish Sather had signed him during the season when they were negotiating. That being the case management decided to go in another direction and Sean did likewise. Once it became clear that he was going to hit July 1 I think Avery had already made up his mind he wouldn't be back. Those are the breaks--we'll have to go on from here without him. It looks to me that the Rangers are intent on bringing more size and grit into the lineup--it was a gripe of mine all last year that we were too small--unfortunately I don't see a lot of talent up front--I guess we'll see.
there's not much talent at all...

and for people banking on Prucha, Cally....yeah...good luck......we better hope to god Cherepanov is on the team in October...otherwise we're in big trouble...

Old
07-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

i dont know if Dallas was a good signing for Sean, i mean the money was great but i dont see him finding chemistry with guys he fought with at least 3 times a year when he was in LA and Detroit. hopefully they try and trade him at the deadline to none other than the rangers....but it wont happen.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:04 PM
SPG

Quote:
there's not much talent at all...

and for people banking on Prucha, Cally....yeah...good luck......we better hope to god Cherepanov is on the team in October...otherwise we're in big trouble...
Already pretty well known that Cherepanov is playing in Russia next season.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
tell me why he doesn't deserve 4mm a year??? Rozy got 5mm a year and he's NOWHERE NEAR as important to the success of the team....PERIOD

argue that point, my friend
Because a 2nd/3rd line winger whose ceiling is 20G/20A shouldn't get 4m?

Listen, I like Avery too, and in a perfect world I'd love to have him on the team next year, but bottom line you can't give a player like that 4 million, regardless what you think of his "influence" other then scoring. Not to mention 4 years, which for a player whose complete value is based off him being a agitator and having a physical presence is ludicrous in my mind.

Please don't even give me that record with him in the lineup or not ********, because the Rangers have a much better record with Malik in the lineup then not, why isn't he resigned then? Stats like that are hugely blown out of proportion.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:07 PM
303Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
If Sean really wanted to stay in New York like he supposedly wanted to, he would've accepted the 3.35 million/year deal he was offered yesterday. I loved Sean to death, don't get me wrong, but for a guy that disappears half the time in the playoffs when the team needs him most to do his thing, I don't see how a 2 million/year raise is justified.

Count me amazed if Sean plays any more than 75 games in a season for the rest of his career. The guy has been injury prone beyond belief. I for one wouldn't pay $4 million a year for a guy that will give you only 50-60 games a year.
Granted he played through a lacerated spleen in Game 3, he was a non factor that game and in Games 1 and 2 of the Pittsburgh series outside of a single goal in Game 1. He was paid to be an agitator, but did he get in the face of Fleury or throw any of Hossa, Malkin, or Crosby off of their games at any point in that series? No.

I wish Sean the best, and I give him credit for playing the free agency market like a fiddle. Go and take a look at the Stars board and the Stars' fans reaction to this deal, just to put it in perspective.
Well what is it 75 games a year or 50-60 that he is gonna play? Your just a bitter fan right now. How can you bad mouth a guy that gave you everything he had every shift. Let me tell you he wasn't the only guy not to show up in some of the playoff rounds. He played well vs the Devils this year and I'm pretty sure he had 1 vs the Pens before he recieved a lacerated spleen. Not sure what other Rangers played well in Games 1 or 2 but to pick on Avery now after he leaves is not right.

Last edited by 303Joe: 07-02-2008 at 02:19 PM.
303Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:08 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Because a 2nd/3rd line winger whose ceiling is 20G/20A shouldn't get 4m?

Listen, I like Avery too, and in a perfect world I'd love to have him on the team next year, but bottom line you can't give a player like that 4 million, regardless what you think of his "influence" other then scoring. Not to mention 4 years, which for a player whose complete value is based off him being a agitator and having a physical presence is ludicrous in my mind.

Please don't even give me that record with him in the lineup or not ********, because the Rangers have a much better record with Malik in the lineup then not, why isn't he resigned then? Stats like that are hugely blown out of proportion.
But we can give Drury money like that for those numbers? oh ok I get it now....

I like Drury...but I think a lot of people on this board simply don't get it

Old
07-02-2008, 02:11 PM
NotAloneJustBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
i dont know if Dallas was a good signing for Sean, i mean the money was great but i dont see him finding chemistry with guys he fought with at least 3 times a year when he was in LA and Detroit. hopefully they try and trade him at the deadline to none other than the rangers....but it wont happen.

My crystal ball predicts a huge blowout between him and Hull at a Vogue Fashion awards afterparty in December and both parties desperately try to extricate themselves at the deadline....Sather smells blood in the water and packages Backman and some Dolan family stationary straight up for the Great Gabo less half his salary in time for the cup run.

Pure fantasy yes...but just as fantastical lamenting about how Avery WAS the New York Rangers and now we are doomed. That is just plain sad if our team finds it that hard to compete without him. Hopefully it is just abandonment issues most of y'all are suffering from and if so, I know a great therapist who can set you straight

NotAloneJustBlue is offline   Reply With Quote