HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Sundin to Montreal Offseason Rumors Part 4 (Mats needs more time to decide)

View Poll Results: When do we trigger plan B?
BAIL OUT NOW!!! We had our chance, go after HOSSA! 63 50.81%
3 days 9 7.26%
5 days 3 2.42%
ALL the way baby! Show our commitment to a respected stellar star 49 39.52%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2008, 01:49 PM
  #951
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
For the last time, listen here and listen good.

Just because Bob Gainey is the GM of your favorite team does not mean that players not signing here is a product of him not wanting them or not trying to sign them. There are 29 other teams bidding for the services of these top players. There are tons of factors in why these players choose why and where they go and all Bob Gainey can do is put in a competitive offer that makes sense for the team and hope that that player signs here.

We're not the only team in the league. We're not the only free agent destination. It just doesn't work the way it does in video games or in your dreamland. If Bob Gainey was literally sitting there doing nothing, I'd wonder, but that's not the case. He's heavily pursued Hossa and Sundin which we know of, we don't know who else he's put offers in for or contacted and seen what their demands are for. What more can he possibly do? Use voodoo and make players sign here for long-term at league minimum?

Short of putting a gun to the player's head and say "sign goddamnit!!! or I'll kill your family too!!!"


Some people just don't have any sense of reality. (and that's not pointed to you Drive425 nor WTK, just went over to the RDS forum and couldn't believe my eyes to the kind of stupidities some of the people wrote there)

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
07-02-2008, 01:53 PM
  #952
Drive425
Registered User
 
Drive425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St Louis Du Haha
Country: Malta
Posts: 1,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
For the last time, listen here and listen good.

Just because Bob Gainey is the GM of your favorite team does not mean that players not signing here is a product of him not wanting them or not trying to sign them. There are 29 other teams bidding for the services of these top players. There are tons of factors in why these players choose why and where they go and all Bob Gainey can do is put in a competitive offer that makes sense for the team and hope that that player signs here.

We're not the only team in the league. We're not the only free agent destination. It just doesn't work the way it does in video games or in your dreamland. If Bob Gainey was literally sitting there doing nothing, I'd wonder, but that's not the case. He's heavily pursued Hossa and Sundin which we know of, we don't know who else he's put offers in for or contacted and seen what their demands are for. What more can he possibly do? Use voodoo and make players sign here for long-term at league minimum?
Why don't you try reading what I wrote.

Gainey made it known he wants to be active. If he has a plan past Sundin, I feel he should continue on with it. That is my point.

The rest of your inane ramblings I have neither the time or inclination to respond to.

Drive425 is offline  
Old
07-02-2008, 01:57 PM
  #953
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,315
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Why don't you try reading what I wrote.

Gainey made it known he wants to be active. If he has a plan past Sundin, I feel he should continue on with it. That is my point.

The rest of your inane ramblings I have neither the time or inclination to respond to.
"If Gainey is content to sit with his hands in his pockets."

Yeah, that had no relevancy to what I just said. At all.

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
07-02-2008, 01:58 PM
  #954
StlRams514
Registered User
 
StlRams514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Why don't you try reading what I wrote.

Gainey made it known he wants to be active. If he has a plan past Sundin, I feel he should continue on with it. That is my point.

The rest of your inane ramblings I have neither the time or inclination to respond to.
Dude, why don't you try reading what HE wrote... Gainey does have plans apart from Sundin, but the fact is that the other 29 teams also wanted to sign players too... Players don't have to play here just because you bloody want them too and because it's our Centennial...

StlRams514 is offline  
Old
07-02-2008, 01:59 PM
  #955
Captain Saku
Registered User
 
Captain Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,668
vCash: 500
Sign Fedorov for one year $5M and trade for Schneider and we'll be a competitive team.

Captain Saku is online now  
Old
07-02-2008, 01:59 PM
  #956
Drive425
Registered User
 
Drive425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St Louis Du Haha
Country: Malta
Posts: 1,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
"If Gainey is content to sit with his hands in his pockets."

Yeah, that had no relevancy to what I just said. At all.
Did you read the part about hanging his hat on Sundin, or did you skip over that aswell?

Drive425 is offline  
Old
07-02-2008, 02:00 PM
  #957
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,315
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Did you read the part about hanging his hat on Sundin, or did you skip over that aswell?
I read it. Bottom line is, Sundin is the perfect fit for the team. There's not much out there aside from that that addressed current team needs. It makes sense that Gainey has put his efforts mainly into Sundin. But it's not like he's spending 24/7 talking to Sundin. He's making calls to other players and other agents it just hasn't worked out to date.

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
07-02-2008, 02:01 PM
  #958
Form and Substance
Registered User
 
Form and Substance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,673
vCash: 500
Jesus some of you are such mood queens. If he doesn't sign here, we're still a competitive team (especially with how sucky the East has gotten). We've upgraded from Ryder to Tanguay which should provide some balanced scoring (and Tanguay is a solid 2 way player with a champions pedigree) and our kids will have a year of experience under their belts. We should be fine.
If Sundin does sign here, well where's my milkshake then?

Form and Substance is offline  
Old
07-02-2008, 02:01 PM
  #959
Drive425
Registered User
 
Drive425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St Louis Du Haha
Country: Malta
Posts: 1,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRams514 View Post
Dude, why don't you try reading what HE wrote... Gainey does have plans apart from Sundin, but the fact is that the other 29 teams also wanted to sign players too... Players don't have to play here just because you bloody want them too and because it's our Centennial...
That's great. That's all I want, that he continues with his plans. Not get log jammed with Sundin's indecision.

Bloody hell, am I typing something other then english?

Drive425 is offline  
Old
07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
  #960
Drive425
Registered User
 
Drive425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St Louis Du Haha
Country: Malta
Posts: 1,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I read it. Bottom line is, Sundin is the perfect fit for the team. There's not much out there aside from that that addressed current team needs. It makes sense that Gainey has put his efforts mainly into Sundin. But it's not like he's spending 24/7 talking to Sundin. He's making calls to other players and other agents it just hasn't worked out to date.
I agree 100%. I just don't want Gainey to get jammed up because he's alocated so much salary to sign Sundin. Then can't do anything else because of it.

Drive425 is offline  
Old
07-02-2008, 02:09 PM
  #961
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
I agree 100%. I just don't want Gainey to get jammed up because he's alocated so much salary to sign Sundin. Then can't do anything else because of it.
Sundin's agent said Gainey informed them that Montreal was going in a different direction. That pretty much says Gainey's looking elsewhere and not waiting for Mats to finish his chunky soup.

David_99 is offline  
Old
07-02-2008, 02:12 PM
  #962
Drive425
Registered User
 
Drive425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St Louis Du Haha
Country: Malta
Posts: 1,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Sundin's agent said Gainey informed them that Montreal was going in a different direction. That pretty much says Gainey's looking elsewhere and not waiting for Mats to finish his chunky soup.
I think that direction went to Detroit...

Drive425 is offline  
Old
07-02-2008, 02:27 PM
  #963
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
Jesus some of you are such mood queens. If he doesn't sign here, we're still a competitive team (especially with how sucky the East has gotten). We've upgraded from Ryder to Tanguay which should provide some balanced scoring (and Tanguay is a solid 2 way player with a champions pedigree) and our kids will have a year of experience under their belts. We should be fine.
If Sundin does sign here, well where's my milkshake then?
Oh you!

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
07-02-2008, 02:28 PM
  #964
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Sundin's agent said Gainey informed them that Montreal was going in a different direction. That pretty much says Gainey's looking elsewhere and not waiting for Mats to finish his chunky soup.
He also said we'll see where that leads and then there were reports Montreal was back in the chase.

znk is offline  
Old
07-02-2008, 02:31 PM
  #965
Karl Pilkington
Registered User
 
Karl Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
For the last time, listen here and listen good.

[rant]


Because of the opening line of your post, from now on I'm imagining this dude sitting at the keyboard whenever I read one of your posts.

Karl Pilkington is offline  
Old
07-02-2008, 02:32 PM
  #966
StlRams514
Registered User
 
StlRams514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
That's great. That's all I want, that he continues with his plans. Not get log jammed with Sundin's indecision.

Bloody hell, am I typing something other then english?
No, you aren't. Gainey IS doing something other than going after Sundin. He told Sundin's agent that the Habs were moving in a different direction, but now that he wasn't able to acquire Hossa, he can once again keep the Sundin option open. We're only a day into free agency, let's not rush and say Gainey isn't doing anything.
Who knows, maybe Gainey won't be able to lure anybody else here, but we'll still be in good shape, especially since we aren't in the West.

StlRams514 is offline  
Old
07-02-2008, 02:40 PM
  #967
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
Sign Fedorov for one year $5M and trade for Schneider and we'll be a competitive team.

Competitive with whom and for what? Red Wings fans would be entitled to laugh at that. The Habs wouldn't win one game in the finals and I doubt they could reach them if those are Gainey's moves.

I don't know of any Plan B or "other directions". Maybe they're as vague as continuing to make telephone calls.


Last edited by Corey: 07-02-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Corey is offline  
Old
07-02-2008, 02:44 PM
  #968
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
Jesus some of you are such mood queens. If he doesn't sign here, we're still a competitive team (especially with how sucky the East has gotten). We've upgraded from Ryder to Tanguay which should provide some balanced scoring (and Tanguay is a solid 2 way player with a champions pedigree) and our kids will have a year of experience under their belts. We should be fine.
If Sundin does sign here, well where's my milkshake then?
I don't see how the Habs have improved much from the team that was wiped out by the Flyers in the playoffs and won't go 8-0 against the Bruins again (actually, 6-0) next season.

Corey is offline  
Old
07-02-2008, 02:46 PM
  #969
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
Sign Fedorov for one year $5M and trade for Schneider and we'll be a competitive team.
Hmmmmmmmmmmno I'd rather wait on Sundin and take my chances. But I'm not Bob.

Blades 0f Steel is offline  
Old
07-02-2008, 02:50 PM
  #970
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I don't see how the Habs have improved much from the team that was wiped out by the Flyers in the playoffs and won't go 8-0 against the Bruins again (actually, 6-0) next season.
Our younger players are one year older, we got a PPG star offensive player in Tanguay, we don't have Ryder wasting space on our top 2 lines and we won't have plugs like Smolinski and Dandenault in the lineup wasting spots from youngsters... sure we won't go undefeated vs. Boston but we will beat other teams which will make up for those games.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline  
Old
07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
  #971
Captain Saku
Registered User
 
Captain Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Competitive with whom and for what? Red Wings fans would be entitled to laugh at that. The Habs wouldn't win one game in the finals and I doubt they could reach them if those are Gainey's moves.

I don't know of any Plan B or "other directions". Maybe they're as vague as continuing to make telephone calls.
Do you mean that this lineup would not compete with ANY team in the NHL?

A.Kost - Plekanec - Kovalev
Tanguay - Koivu - S.Kost
Higgins - Fedorov - Lats
Lapierre - Chips - Kost
Begin/Grabs

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Schneider
Gorges - O'Byrne
Bouillon

Price
Halak

The Red Wings are an exception, they're clearly the best team in the league and it's not close. However, anything could happen in a 7 games series. Beside, being a 'competitive' team does not equal an automatic stanley cup! I'd still believe in our chances anyways.

My first choice would still be Sundin, but the thing is that Bob might not want to wait for his decision for so long before it's too late.

Captain Saku is online now  
Old
07-02-2008, 02:59 PM
  #972
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Competitive with whom and for what? Red Wings fans would be entitled to laugh at that. The Habs wouldn't win one game in the finals and I doubt they could reach them if those are Gainey's moves.

I don't know of any Plan B or "other directions". Maybe they're as vague as continuing to make telephone calls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I don't see how the Habs have improved much from the team that was wiped out by the Flyers in the playoffs and won't go 8-0 against the Bruins again (actually, 6-0) next season.
Can I have your Crystal ball.. I need one to see into the future.

You do realize that the Red Wings who won the cup this year weren't much different than the year before and lost in the conference finals, right?

Their youth got more experience and they became better. How can you predict this when Detroit are gonna be an exhausted team when the next season will come (as the previous seasons have shown, the Cup winners usually have a weaker year the following season). How can you predict that the Habs youth won't get the same experience and become better.

And then also, thinking that adding Fedorov, Schneider and Tanguay to a squad that finished 1st in the east won't be improved nor be able to win ONE game in the finals against Detroit?

How do you know if Boston won't lose all six games against the Habs?? You can't predict this as much as nobody could rightfuly predict any outcome in the playoffs and the regular season to a T.

Ozymandias is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.