HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Sundin to Montreal Offseason Rumors Part 4 (Mats needs more time to decide)

View Poll Results: When do we trigger plan B?
BAIL OUT NOW!!! We had our chance, go after HOSSA! 63 50.81%
3 days 9 7.26%
5 days 3 2.42%
ALL the way baby! Show our commitment to a respected stellar star 49 39.52%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
For the last time, listen here and listen good.

Just because Bob Gainey is the GM of your favorite team does not mean that players not signing here is a product of him not wanting them or not trying to sign them. There are 29 other teams bidding for the services of these top players. There are tons of factors in why these players choose why and where they go and all Bob Gainey can do is put in a competitive offer that makes sense for the team and hope that that player signs here.

We're not the only team in the league. We're not the only free agent destination. It just doesn't work the way it does in video games or in your dreamland. If Bob Gainey was literally sitting there doing nothing, I'd wonder, but that's not the case. He's heavily pursued Hossa and Sundin which we know of, we don't know who else he's put offers in for or contacted and seen what their demands are for. What more can he possibly do? Use voodoo and make players sign here for long-term at league minimum?

Short of putting a gun to the player's head and say "sign goddamnit!!! or I'll kill your family too!!!"

Some people just don't have any sense of reality. (and that's not pointed to you Drive425 nor WTK, just went over to the RDS forum and couldn't believe my eyes to the kind of stupidities some of the people wrote there)

Old
07-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Drive425

Quote:

Just because Bob Gainey is the GM of your favorite team does not mean that players not signing here is a product of him not wanting them or not trying to sign them. There are 29 other teams bidding for the services of these top players. There are tons of factors in why these players choose why and where they go and all Bob Gainey can do is put in a competitive offer that makes sense for the team and hope that that player signs here.

We're not the only team in the league. We're not the only free agent destination. It just doesn't work the way it does in video games or in your dreamland. If Bob Gainey was literally sitting there doing nothing, I'd wonder, but that's not the case. He's heavily pursued Hossa and Sundin which we know of, we don't know who else he's put offers in for or contacted and seen what their demands are for. What more can he possibly do? Use voodoo and make players sign here for long-term at league minimum?
Why don't you try reading what I wrote.

Gainey made it known he wants to be active. If he has a plan past Sundin, I feel he should continue on with it. That is my point.

The rest of your inane ramblings I have neither the time or inclination to respond to.

Old
07-02-2008, 01:57 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post

Gainey made it known he wants to be active. If he has a plan past Sundin, I feel he should continue on with it. That is my point.

The rest of your inane ramblings I have neither the time or inclination to respond to.
"If Gainey is content to sit with his hands in his pockets."

Yeah, that had no relevancy to what I just said. At all.

Old
07-02-2008, 01:58 PM
StlRams514

Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
Quote:

Dude, why don't you try reading what HE wrote... Gainey does have plans apart from Sundin, but the fact is that the other 29 teams also wanted to sign players too... Players don't have to play here just because you bloody want them too and because it's our Centennial...

Old
07-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Captain Saku

Sign Fedorov for one year $5M and trade for Schneider and we'll be a competitive team.

Old
07-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Drive425

Quote:
"If Gainey is content to sit with his hands in his pockets."

Yeah, that had no relevancy to what I just said. At all.
Did you read the part about hanging his hat on Sundin, or did you skip over that aswell?

Old
07-02-2008, 02:00 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Did you read the part about hanging his hat on Sundin, or did you skip over that aswell?
I read it. Bottom line is, Sundin is the perfect fit for the team. There's not much out there aside from that that addressed current team needs. It makes sense that Gainey has put his efforts mainly into Sundin. But it's not like he's spending 24/7 talking to Sundin. He's making calls to other players and other agents it just hasn't worked out to date.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Form and Substance

Jesus some of you are such mood queens. If he doesn't sign here, we're still a competitive team (especially with how sucky the East has gotten). We've upgraded from Ryder to Tanguay which should provide some balanced scoring (and Tanguay is a solid 2 way player with a champions pedigree) and our kids will have a year of experience under their belts. We should be fine.
If Sundin does sign here, well where's my milkshake then?

Old
07-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRams514 View Post
Dude, why don't you try reading what HE wrote... Gainey does have plans apart from Sundin, but the fact is that the other 29 teams also wanted to sign players too... Players don't have to play here just because you bloody want them too and because it's our Centennial...
That's great. That's all I want, that he continues with his plans. Not get log jammed with Sundin's indecision.

Bloody hell, am I typing something other then english?

Old
07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Drive425

Quote:
I read it. Bottom line is, Sundin is the perfect fit for the team. There's not much out there aside from that that addressed current team needs. It makes sense that Gainey has put his efforts mainly into Sundin. But it's not like he's spending 24/7 talking to Sundin. He's making calls to other players and other agents it just hasn't worked out to date.
I agree 100%. I just don't want Gainey to get jammed up because he's alocated so much salary to sign Sundin. Then can't do anything else because of it.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:09 PM
David_99

Quote:
I agree 100%. I just don't want Gainey to get jammed up because he's alocated so much salary to sign Sundin. Then can't do anything else because of it.
Sundin's agent said Gainey informed them that Montreal was going in a different direction. That pretty much says Gainey's looking elsewhere and not waiting for Mats to finish his chunky soup.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Sundin's agent said Gainey informed them that Montreal was going in a different direction. That pretty much says Gainey's looking elsewhere and not waiting for Mats to finish his chunky soup.
I think that direction went to Detroit...

Old
07-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
Jesus some of you are such mood queens. If he doesn't sign here, we're still a competitive team (especially with how sucky the East has gotten). We've upgraded from Ryder to Tanguay which should provide some balanced scoring (and Tanguay is a solid 2 way player with a champions pedigree) and our kids will have a year of experience under their belts. We should be fine.
Oh you!

Old
07-02-2008, 02:28 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
He also said we'll see where that leads and then there were reports Montreal was back in the chase.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:

[rant]

Because of the opening line of your post, from now on I'm imagining this dude sitting at the keyboard whenever I read one of your posts.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:32 PM
StlRams514

Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
Quote:
That's great. That's all I want, that he continues with his plans. Not get log jammed with Sundin's indecision.

Bloody hell, am I typing something other then english?
No, you aren't. Gainey IS doing something other than going after Sundin. He told Sundin's agent that the Habs were moving in a different direction, but now that he wasn't able to acquire Hossa, he can once again keep the Sundin option open. We're only a day into free agency, let's not rush and say Gainey isn't doing anything.
Who knows, maybe Gainey won't be able to lure anybody else here, but we'll still be in good shape, especially since we aren't in the West.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
Sign Fedorov for one year $5M and trade for Schneider and we'll be a competitive team.

Competitive with whom and for what? Red Wings fans would be entitled to laugh at that. The Habs wouldn't win one game in the finals and I doubt they could reach them if those are Gainey's moves.

I don't know of any Plan B or "other directions". Maybe they're as vague as continuing to make telephone calls.

Last edited by Corey: 07-02-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old
07-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
I don't see how the Habs have improved much from the team that was wiped out by the Flyers in the playoffs and won't go 8-0 against the Bruins again (actually, 6-0) next season.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmno I'd rather wait on Sundin and take my chances. But I'm not Bob.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:50 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I don't see how the Habs have improved much from the team that was wiped out by the Flyers in the playoffs and won't go 8-0 against the Bruins again (actually, 6-0) next season.
Our younger players are one year older, we got a PPG star offensive player in Tanguay, we don't have Ryder wasting space on our top 2 lines and we won't have plugs like Smolinski and Dandenault in the lineup wasting spots from youngsters... sure we won't go undefeated vs. Boston but we will beat other teams which will make up for those games.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Competitive with whom and for what? Red Wings fans would be entitled to laugh at that. The Habs wouldn't win one game in the finals and I doubt they could reach them if those are Gainey's moves.

I don't know of any Plan B or "other directions". Maybe they're as vague as continuing to make telephone calls.
Do you mean that this lineup would not compete with ANY team in the NHL?

A.Kost - Plekanec - Kovalev
Tanguay - Koivu - S.Kost
Higgins - Fedorov - Lats
Lapierre - Chips - Kost
Begin/Grabs

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Schneider
Gorges - O'Byrne
Bouillon

Price
Halak

The Red Wings are an exception, they're clearly the best team in the league and it's not close. However, anything could happen in a 7 games series. Beside, being a 'competitive' team does not equal an automatic stanley cup! I'd still believe in our chances anyways.

My first choice would still be Sundin, but the thing is that Bob might not want to wait for his decision for so long before it's too late.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

Quote:
Can I have your Crystal ball.. I need one to see into the future.

You do realize that the Red Wings who won the cup this year weren't much different than the year before and lost in the conference finals, right?

Their youth got more experience and they became better. How can you predict this when Detroit are gonna be an exhausted team when the next season will come (as the previous seasons have shown, the Cup winners usually have a weaker year the following season). How can you predict that the Habs youth won't get the same experience and become better.

And then also, thinking that adding Fedorov, Schneider and Tanguay to a squad that finished 1st in the east won't be improved nor be able to win ONE game in the finals against Detroit?

How do you know if Boston won't lose all six games against the Habs?? You can't predict this as much as nobody could rightfuly predict any outcome in the playoffs and the regular season to a T.

Closed Thread