HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Confirmed: Stoll and Greene for Visnovsky

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-30-2008, 07:00 PM
  #576
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 18,610
vCash: 500
Hi guys Kings season ticket holder here.

Well, let me echo the idea that if Visnovsky returns to the form he demonstrated before last season you have a very good offensive defenseman in him. However, last year (and I am a big Lubo fan) he made some real bone head plays in his own end and probably was among the leaders in turnovers on the Kings.

I have seen some posts in this thread from the usual Lombardi haters over at the Kings board and they have overexaggerated a little in terms of Lubo's defensive capabilities. I am hoping that he regains his confidence and plays well for the Oilers.

From a Kings perspective this was Risk Management 101 by Lombardi. He couldn't take the risk of keeping Visnovsky for 5 years at a cap hit of $5.6M (with a no trade clause to boot) given the way he played last season. This trade makes sense from the Kings standpoint in that we have an over abundance of young puck moving defensemen and no bangers at all, plus we were in desparate need of a center that is good in the circle and can play on the PK. By the time our team is ready to seriously contend Lubo would having been pushing 35.

Now a few questions for you guys:

1. Stoll is an RFA. What do you think it will take to sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal?

2. I liked what I saw of Greene the year you guys made it to the finals. Can he be that player on a consistent basis?

3. Can you provide a link to the radio show that talks hockey in Edmonton? Our sports talk shows consist of questions about whether Kobe wipes his butt with Charmin or Northern. Heh, maybe he uses $100 bills.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:18 PM
  #577
gdog31
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Hi guys Kings season ticket holder here.

Well, let me echo the idea that if Visnovsky returns to the form he demonstrated before last season you have a very good offensive defenseman in him. However, last year (and I am a big Lubo fan) he made some real bone head plays in his own end and probably was among the leaders in turnovers on the Kings.

I have seen some posts in this thread from the usual Lombardi haters over at the Kings board and they have overexaggerated a little in terms of Lubo's defensive capabilities. I am hoping that he regains his confidence and plays well for the Oilers.

From a Kings perspective this was Risk Management 101 by Lombardi. He couldn't take the risk of keeping Visnovsky for 5 years at a cap hit of $5.6M (with a no trade clause to boot) given the way he played last season. This trade makes sense from the Kings standpoint in that we have an over abundance of young puck moving defensemen and no bangers at all, plus we were in desparate need of a center that is good in the circle and can play on the PK. By the time our team is ready to seriously contend Lubo would having been pushing 35.

Now a few questions for you guys:

1. Stoll is an RFA. What do you think it will take to sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal?

2. I liked what I saw of Greene the year you guys made it to the finals. Can he be that player on a consistent basis?

3. Can you provide a link to the radio show that talks hockey in Edmonton? Our sports talk shows consist of questions about whether Kobe wipes his butt with Charmin or Northern. Heh, maybe he uses $100 bills.
1. A trade to LA... oh wait...

2. He's still a young guy, so he should just get better. However, if you watched closely during the finals a couple of years ago he took a lot of bad penalties (in my opinion) and that still is a bit of a problem.

3. Go to http://www.theteam1260.com/ The show that most guys listen to starts at 3 PM Mountain time.

gdog31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:22 PM
  #578
OF17
Registered User
 
OF17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: en France
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post

1. Stoll is an RFA. What do you think it will take to sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal?

2. I liked what I saw of Greene the year you guys made it to the finals. Can he be that player on a consistent basis?

3. Can you provide a link to the radio show that talks hockey in Edmonton? Our sports talk shows consist of questions about whether Kobe wipes his butt with Charmin or Northern. Heh, maybe he uses $100 bills.
1) I'd guess somewhere between 3M and 4M, probably closer to 3.

2) His consistency has been a big problem over the past few years, but he's still young. His potential is a #4 defensive defenseman who can crash and bang IMO.

3) In addition to Team 1260, 630 CHED has some good Oilers stuff as well. http://www.630ched.com/Landing/Sports.aspx

OF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:23 PM
  #579
Lowe in Oil
Registered User
 
Lowe in Oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Hi guys Kings season ticket holder here.

Well, let me echo the idea that if Visnovsky returns to the form he demonstrated before last season you have a very good offensive defenseman in him. However, last year (and I am a big Lubo fan) he made some real bone head plays in his own end and probably was among the leaders in turnovers on the Kings.

I have seen some posts in this thread from the usual Lombardi haters over at the Kings board and they have overexaggerated a little in terms of Lubo's defensive capabilities. I am hoping that he regains his confidence and plays well for the Oilers.

From a Kings perspective this was Risk Management 101 by Lombardi. He couldn't take the risk of keeping Visnovsky for 5 years at a cap hit of $5.6M (with a no trade clause to boot) given the way he played last season. This trade makes sense from the Kings standpoint in that we have an over abundance of young puck moving defensemen and no bangers at all, plus we were in desparate need of a center that is good in the circle and can play on the PK. By the time our team is ready to seriously contend Lubo would having been pushing 35.

Now a few questions for you guys:

1. Stoll is an RFA. What do you think it will take to sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal?

2. I liked what I saw of Greene the year you guys made it to the finals. Can he be that player on a consistent basis?

3. Can you provide a link to the radio show that talks hockey in Edmonton? Our sports talk shows consist of questions about whether Kobe wipes his butt with Charmin or Northern. Heh, maybe he uses $100 bills.
1. 3years/10 million should do it
2. He can, and probably will be in a couple of years.

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 07:41 PM
  #580
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 18,610
vCash: 500
Thanks for answering all of my questions.

Stoll for 3 years at slight over $3M a season would be a fair deal for both sides in my opinion.

If you guys are interested you can read about the trade from the Kings perspective here:

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 08:01 PM
  #581
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,574
vCash: 500
I am listening to the conference call now, and he is good friends with Ales Hemsky and knows Garon well from his king days...I think that's a really good thing and should help Lubo get settled.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 08:24 PM
  #582
Oil Change
Registered User
 
Oil Change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Thunder Bay, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,342
vCash: 50
I'm going to miss Stoll, but we all knew he was going to be traded.

I'm really happy with the acquisition of Visnovsky.

Oil Change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 08:25 PM
  #583
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
I am listening to the conference call now, and he is good friends with Ales Hemsky and knows Garon well from his king days...I think that's a really good thing and should help Lubo get settled.
thats good about Garon because he also just had a baby when he came to Edmonton, and he loved the help he got

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:13 PM
  #584
D_Oil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
For those Kings fan’s lurking, just to clarify, does Visnovsky play (or prefer to play) as the right d-man at even-strength, or just on the power play?

He is a lefty and usually those guys like playing the left side at even-strength, but it would be a nice bonus if he did prefer the right side.


As for the Demitra talk – the guy is 34 and is injury prone. He would be down on my list of targets. Moreover, coming out of the lockout he was a guy Lowe went hard after, but it was revealed that the Demitra camp had no interest in signing with the Oilers and just strung them along to drive up his price. Lowe was pretty upset/bitter about the way it all went down. Not a good history there for what that is worth.

D_Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:20 PM
  #585
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size
 
OneMoreAstronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,994
vCash: 1360
Overall I'm pretty happy with the trade, but what I'm really wondering now is: is he married, and what is his wife like.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 10:40 PM
  #586
Tad McMikowsky
Retired
 
Tad McMikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,123
vCash: 500
Its a good trade on both parts (even though Kings fans are a bit ticked)

Lubo will be a great asset, i love how he wants to beat the kings now every time he faces them. He doesn't seem like he'll bolt anytime soon, and imagining him and Souray on the PP is pretty sick.

As for the Stoll and Greene, they will be missed. Stoll was really up in the air, I thought he was going to go at the trade deadline, but i had a feeling his time was still done with the oilers regardless. Greene was surprising, I did not know he was on the market. While a great character guy, he must of been the odd man out with others coming up soon.

For the Kings, it figures that Stoll will replace Cammy, while Greene will help a defence that will be awesome in a few years.

Overall, good trade on both parts. Wonder what will happen with Joni?

Tad McMikowsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 02:32 AM
  #587
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
Overall I'm pretty happy with the trade, but what I'm really wondering now is: is he married, and what is his wife like.

He's engaged, and he said she is a very strong and brave woman. He said she was cheering him up instead of the other way around.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 06:33 AM
  #588
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,203
vCash: 500
Can't sleep


Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 06:45 AM
  #589
Tommy35
Registered User
 
Tommy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,483
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Spawn;14640250]Can't sleep

QUOTE]


Thanks for those clips on Lubo, this is one hell of a monster trade for us, it's sinking in more and more on how much better team we are. Can't wait to see Lubo, in copper and blue. Maybe he'll wear No. 71

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 08:14 AM
  #590
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 116,371
vCash: 332
This might be of some interest to people here:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2420...headlines_main

Hopefully the Oilers treat Lubo better than the Kings did.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 01:08 PM
  #591
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,628
vCash: 785
Listening to the Visnovsky conference call, I'm a little worried. While I love the brutal honesty of the European guys who don't quite understand sunshine and lollipops front that north american players know to put on... he reveals a lot.

Quite frankly, he says pretty clearly to me that he didn't want to come to Edmonton. Sure, he throws some compliments to the hockey culture and the team, but at the end of the day this was not someplace he wanted to go for personal reasons.

Sorry to say it, but it reminds me of Pronger's situation. Except, of course, Visnovsky is not to be blamed as he just ended up here instead of signing here. Credit to Visnovksy, he seems like he's going to give it an effort, but to the negative he seems to be coming in with some pre-conceived notions.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 01:57 PM
  #592
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
Listening to the Visnovsky conference call, I'm a little worried. While I love the brutal honesty of the European guys who don't quite understand sunshine and lollipops front that north american players know to put on... he reveals a lot.

Quite frankly, he says pretty clearly to me that he didn't want to come to Edmonton. Sure, he throws some compliments to the hockey culture and the team, but at the end of the day this was not someplace he wanted to go for personal reasons.

Sorry to say it, but it reminds me of Pronger's situation. Except, of course, Visnovsky is not to be blamed as he just ended up here instead of signing here. Credit to Visnovksy, he seems like he's going to give it an effort, but to the negative he seems to be coming in with some pre-conceived notions.
Listen to it again.

The guys is shocked and pissed that he signed a 5 year extenstion with a NTC with the Kings and the Kings dealt him a day before the NTC kicked in. Wouldn't you feel like you had been screwed over?

He will be fine. Don't worry yourself over nothing. Do you honestly think that being a personal guest of Daryl Katz at the Indy Race will do anything but make him love the team and the city? This isn't Pocklington or the EIG anymore.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:35 PM
  #593
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,966
vCash: 500
Ok, I'm a little late on this but here it goes.

First off, I wanted to when I heard that Matt was being traded. Even with his struggles, I loved him with UND and the Oilers and I'll still love the guy with the Kings. I suppose if there's anything good for me coming out of this deal is that I get to see Matt play more often.

As for the Oilers getting Lubo, I hope he works out. He sounds like a piece of the puzzle that the Oilers needed. I think the bigger question is...is and will he be worth the big bucks that he was getting (or was suppose to get) in LA as an Oiler?

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 01:37 PM
  #594
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,615
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Ok, I'm a little late on this but here it goes.

First off, I wanted to when I heard that Matt was being traded. Even with his struggles, I loved him with UND and the Oilers and I'll still love the guy with the Kings. I suppose if there's anything good for me coming out of this deal is that I get to see Matt play more often.

As for the Oilers getting Lubo, I hope he works out. He sounds like a piece of the puzzle that the Oilers needed. I think the bigger question is...is and will he be worth the big bucks that he was getting (or was suppose to get) in LA as an Oiler?
After yesterdays shenanigans his contract actually looks pretty good.

All he has to do is get more points than Jeff Finger.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:22 PM
  #595
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
After yesterdays shenanigans his contract actually looks pretty good.

All he has to do is get more points than Jeff Finger.
Does black eyes count?

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.