HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Take your pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2008, 02:52 PM
  #1
echlfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 975
vCash: 500
Take your pick

We are either competing or surviving, take your pick between the 2 line-ups

Dumont-Arnott-Radulov
Erat-Legwand-Hornqvist
Tootoo-Bonk-Fiddler
Ortmeyer-Nichol-Smithson
Wilson-Jones-Peverly

or

Dumont-Arnott-Radulov
Erat-Legwand-UFA TOP 6 FWD "not a third liner from TB that is moved up to the top 2 lines"
Hornqvist-Fiddler-Tootoo
Ortmeyer-Nichol-Smithson
Bonk

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:56 PM
  #2
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,484
vCash: 500
Hornqvist would be wasted away on anything other then the top 2 lines imo.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:57 PM
  #3
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,843
vCash: 500
Dumont-Arnott-Radulov
Erat-Legwand-Hornqvist
Geoffrion/Tootoo-Wilson-Jones (this line really needs to get bigger and stronger and that is what I'm going with)
any combination of Nichol-Smithson-Ortmeyer-Fiddler

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:04 PM
  #4
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,211
vCash: 500
LOL! The optimism is infectious here.

Honestly, if Poile and Trotz thinks there is ZERO chance to even make the playoffs why not tank? The risk is ticket sales. The possible reward, Tavares.

Would I do it. yes, but I'm a cold *******. But frankly, this is over exaggeration on Free agency week.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:13 PM
  #5
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
Dumont-Arnott-Radulov
Erat-Legwand-Hornqvist
Geoffrion/Tootoo-Wilson-Jones (this line really needs to get bigger and stronger and that is what I'm going with)
any combination of Nichol-Smithson-Ortmeyer-Fiddler
I didn't respond to the first post. The lineups were too depressing. I don't want to see Wilson unless he's playing a real role, which means third line. The fourth line can be the grinder line.

I like your lineup, And that's what I'm hoping for. Although Geoffrion, Wilson, Jones? Who's the playmaker? Wilson? I could see Tootoo, Jones, and somebody who handles the puck. And Wilson returning to school. If it's Toots, Wilson, and Jones, that's interesting. Very tough and good size.

I didn't think we had room though, without buyouts, to bring Hornqvist, Jones, and Wilson, all in this year?

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:26 PM
  #6
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,564
vCash: 500
Its too early to look at lineups right now. Since we have so many 4th liners already under contract, we really have to wait until camp to see which guys will be out of a job if Pihlstrom/Hornqvist take their spots.

There are still plenty of quality wingers available. The only question is whether or not we want to sign any of them.

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:47 PM
  #7
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,483
vCash: 500
Dumont-Arnott-Radulov
Hörnqvist-Legwand-Erat
Pihlström-Nichol-Tootoo
Fiddler-Bonk-Smithson
Ortmeyer and (insert enforcer of choice) as the extras

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-De Vries
Klein-Zanon
Koistinen as the #7

Ellis
Rinne

That's what I expect and I suspect that's what Poile expects. Based on what he's said in the media, he's pretty confident in the Euros to get the job done.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:59 PM
  #8
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
There are still plenty of quality wingers available. The only question is whether or not we want to sign any of them.
Plenty of quality wingers?

Jaromir Jagr (NOT coming here)
Pavol Demitra
Miroslav Satan
Owen Nolan
Jason Williams (He's a center but I think he can play wing as well.)
Ruslan Fedotenko
Jan Hlavac
Ladislav Nagy.

And that REALLY stretches the definition of the word "quality." Unless we're putting together an offer sheet... there's not much left out there.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:03 PM
  #9
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
We are either competing or surviving, take your pick between the 2 line-ups

Dumont-Arnott-Radulov
Erat-Legwand-Hornqvist
Tootoo-Bonk-Fiddler
Ortmeyer-Nichol-Smithson
Wilson-Jones-Peverly
I like this lineup, literally. We roll 5 lines and go with Hamhuis, Weber, Suter and Klien on D. Trotz is a think outside the box kind of guy so this should be good.
As an added bonus, Wilson, Jones, Peverly line is a bit cheaper than carrying DeVries, Zanon, Koistenen.

I can hear the opposing coach now (ala the NHL commercials): Ever time we came close to beating their shutdown line, they threw out another shutdown line. It shut us down. Even our shut down line was shut down.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:13 PM
  #10
oreilly22
Registered User
 
oreilly22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oahu
Country: United States
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Dumont-Arnott-Radulov
Hörnqvist-Legwand-Erat
Pihlström-Nichol-Tootoo
Fiddler-Bonk-Smithson
Ortmeyer and (insert enforcer of choice) as the extras

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-De Vries
Klein-Zanon
Koistinen as the #7

Ellis
Rinne

That's what I expect and I suspect that's what Poile expects. Based on what he's said in the media, he's pretty confident in the Euros to get the job done.
I would be satisfied with that lineup. It's just kind of frustrating watching us looking at all the names go by on FA week with our mouths agape. I mean it would be nice to have more of a 100 % sure thing for getting points on the second line. I do have really high hopes for Hornqvist though. Training camp can't get here soon enough.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:18 PM
  #11
oreilly22
Registered User
 
oreilly22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oahu
Country: United States
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I like this lineup, literally. We roll 5 lines and go with Hamhuis, Weber, Suter and Klien on D. Trotz is a think outside the box kind of guy so this should be good.
As an added bonus, Wilson, Jones, Peverly line is a bit cheaper than carrying DeVries, Zanon, Koistenen.

I can hear the opposing coach now (ala the NHL commercials): Ever time we came close to beating their shutdown line, they threw out another shutdown line. It shut us down. Even our shut down line was shut down.
That lineup is nuts and would mess up the development of some of our top prospects for sure.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:32 PM
  #12
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
Dumont-Arnott-Radulov
Erat-Legwand-Hornqvist
Geoffrion/Tootoo-Wilson-Jones (this line really needs to get bigger and stronger and that is what I'm going with)
any combination of Nichol-Smithson-Ortmeyer-Fiddler


That thid line would get destroyed. Three rookies on the same line. Ouch. I hope Jones is talented enough to make the team. We could def use a player like him on the third line. Here's my lineup if everything went according to plan

Dumont-Arny-Rads
Erat-Leggy-hornqvist
Gelinas/Fiddler-Bonk-Jones/Pihlstrom
Toots-Nichol-Smitty
Pevs/Ortmeyer

We all know that this lineup will change constanty. Trotz loves mixing and mathcing. Ya this isnt the most sexy lineup but as we saw this past year it will get the job done.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:13 AM
  #13
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
That lineup is nuts and would mess up the development of some of our top prospects for sure.
Sorry, I thought the idea of 5 lines and a total of 4 d-men was pretty obviously a joke. It was a poor attempt at relieving our annual July 2nd, sky-is-falling mood that follows the annual passing out of bad contracts by more desperate teams.

Anyway, I think Jones makes the team and Smithson is traded. With 3 lightweight agitators, Poile will also have to find an enforcer even if Laraque isn't interested.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:24 AM
  #14
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Sorry, I thought the idea of 5 lines and a total of 4 d-men was pretty obviously a joke. It was a poor attempt at relieving our annual July 2nd, sky-is-falling mood that follows the annual passing out of bad contracts by more desperate teams.
I enjoyed the joke, and your opposing coach quote was priceless.

And how could Trotz pass up the chance to have as many as 9 grinders playing in one game?!?!?! There are dozens of Fiddler's in the AHL just waiting to be signed up us to be utilized in that system. And when we go up by a goal, he can just roll the last three lines incessantly until the game is tied up again.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:30 AM
  #15
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 500
A new strategy is coming together and Barry is the guy to implement it! Like Italy playing football, we can just play for the 0-0 tie every time and try to win it in the shootout.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:09 AM
  #16
echlfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 975
vCash: 500
Now quick question which falls in-directly to our line up. Didn't Freeman say that this team was going to have the most increase in payroll out of all the other teams? Didn't he say that they were going to spend at about the mid point of the cap?

Well the salary cap FLOOR is $40.7M and a MAX of $56.7M... which would make the mid-point $48.7M

After signing Klein, Koistinen for about 550K each...adding Hornqvist for $713, 333 and Philstrom for $567, 500...subtracting Sullivan who is probably going to be forced to retirement -$3.2M

Your grand total is:

$41, 591, 920


So once again the Predators who according to Poile and Freeman are not going to be affected by Boots' situation are proving themselves false by spending less than a million dollars from the salary cap floor. This team could be VERY good if they would put the money where there mouth is. We have $6.5M to get to the salary cap mid point. But, yet again it is going to be like last season where this team is expected to win with a bare bones line up.

Detroit +Hossa
Chicago +Huet, Campbell
Columbus +Huesilius, Torres, Umberger, Tyutin, Backman, Commodore
St. Louis +Mason
Nashville +Jones, Grant....Ouch!!!!

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:27 AM
  #17
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
.
So once again the Predators who according to Poile and Freeman are not going to be affected by Boots' situation are proving themselves false by spending less than a million dollars from the salary cap floor. This team could be VERY good if they would put the money where there mouth is. We have $6.5M to get to the salary cap mid point. But, yet again it is going to be like last season where this team is expected to win with a bare bones line up.[/SIZE]
Darn him! And we have to play our first game next week!!! Oh, wait, it's been only TWO days since the start of free agency and a couple of months until training camp. Maybe Poile has time to make another move???

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:32 AM
  #18
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,211
vCash: 500
Relax. Watch Poile make a QA to Filipula that is 100,000 over the Wings cap and is still in the area of a 2nd round pick compensation.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:36 AM
  #19
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Now quick question which falls in-directly to our line up. Didn't Freeman say that this team was going to have the most increase in payroll out of all the other teams? Didn't he say that they were going to spend at about the mid point of the cap?

Well the salary cap FLOOR is $40.7M and a MAX of $56.7M... which would make the mid-point $48.7M

After signing Klein, Koistinen for about 550K each...adding Hornqvist for $713, 333 and Philstrom for $567, 500...subtracting Sullivan who is probably going to be forced to retirement -$3.2M

Your grand total is:

$41, 591, 920


So once again the Predators who according to Poile and Freeman are not going to be affected by Boots' situation are proving themselves false by spending less than a million dollars from the salary cap floor. This team could be VERY good if they would put the money where there mouth is. We have $6.5M to get to the salary cap mid point. But, yet again it is going to be like last season where this team is expected to win with a bare bones line up.

Detroit +Hossa
Chicago +Huet, Campbell
Columbus +Huesilius, Torres, Umberger, Tyutin, Backman, Commodore
St. Louis +Mason
Nashville +Jones, Grant....Ouch!!!!
Relax!!!!!! The sky is not falling and you are misquoting Mr. Freeman. Freeman said that the Predators were most likely going to have the largest percentage of salary increase, not actual dollars.

It's July 3rd, not October 4th!!! There are still over 100 free agents on the market, some of whom can help us, some of which would be a waste.

You've been typing this crap for over a month...sit back, relax, and watch what happens!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:43 AM
  #20
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Relax!!!!!! The sky is not falling and you are misquoting Mr. Freeman. Freeman said that the Predators were most likely going to have the largest percentage of salary increase, not actual dollars.

It's July 3rd, not October 4th!!! There are still over 100 free agents on the market, some of whom can help us, some of which would be a waste.

You've been typing this crap for over a month...sit back, relax, and watch what happens!
http://hfboards.com/profile.php?do=a...ignore&u=12039

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:07 PM
  #21
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,564
vCash: 500
Jaromir Jagr (NOT coming here)
Pavol Demitra
Miroslav Satan
Owen Nolan
Jason Williams (He's a center but I think he can play wing as well.)
Ruslan Fedotenko
Jan Hlavac
Ladislav Nagy.
Markus Nasland
Brendan Morrison (center)

----

Nolan and Hlavac aren't really what we need, but the rest of teh guys would all upgrade our scoring lines. We don't need much to improve this team a lot - our bottom lines are going to be better, we have internal options, and our young team WILL improve simply due to maturity and experience. Adding 1 winger is all we really need to do this off-season IMO. We can do that through trade or by UFA. The process just began....we have time to fill out our roster . The Zidlicky and Mason trades have released a major weight off this system/team...

Give echl a break - we have all been in his shoes. It takes awhile to get used to Poile's patient approach, especially seeing other teams in our division undergoing massive retoolments/signing the stars of UFA.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:37 PM
  #22
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,484
vCash: 500
Freeman stated that we would have one of the largest increases in salaries. And he didn't lie. It's just that we used that money to bring back Suter, Weber, Erat, etc. We were going to have a large increase just by signing our own players. And of course, we had to, to reach the new cap floor.

It was really our fans who thought that his comment meant that all of a sudden we were going to be a player in the free agent / trade market.

It is still early and Poile has time to make some signings and or trades, but I wouldn't get my hopes up about that at all. All signs point to us having a floor team again. The sign of that is the Zidlicky trade. Notice we didn't bring any salary back; it was a complete salary dump to make up for us having to resign our free agents. I think the Mason trade was in the same vein, as Poile knew he could sign Ellis for less (not saying its bad, but I think that it was more salary motivated).

We are always going to be a cap floor team unless our attendance starts being actually respectable. We will likely resign guys just to reach the ever growing floor, but Poile has to be careful. If he keeps signing guys with No Movement Clauses, he might not have an easy out in the future in terms of moving someone to make us stay at the floor.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:52 PM
  #23
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
especially seeing other teams in our division undergoing massive retoolments/signing the stars of UFA.
And just to add some thought, when has the signing of UFA stars worked out for teams?

Last year most of the big name, guaranteed success free agents ended up on the following teams: New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Colorado Avalanche, Edmonton Oilers, Toronto Maple Leafs, St. Louis Blues.

The year before, the biggest players on the market were Toronto, Boston, Phoenix, St. Louis, Vancouver, Minnesota.

Besides making splashes in the free agent markets, the above teams all had one similarity: Mediocre success. Most didn't make the playoffs. Those that did hardly threatened for the Cup. Before everyone gets so worried about what other teams are doing, remember that the magnitude of free agent pickups and team success have an almost inverse relationship. And at the very least, there is minimal correlation between the two.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:01 PM
  #24
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
A new strategy is coming together and Barry is the guy to implement it! Like Italy playing football, we can just play for the 0-0 tie every time and try to win it in the shootout.
And it seems like a lot the best shootout guys are rarely the radulovs of the world. They are often grinder types. So this strategy just might be revolutionary. Forget trapping. We'll just suffocate opposing teams with wave after wave of shutdown lines that having them guessing which midget AHLer will be checking them on any given shift. They don't stand a chance!

And then in the shootout, Fiddler will slowly skate in and wire a wrister aiming straight for the five hole and clank it on off the post for a victory.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:50 PM
  #25
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,564
vCash: 500
A lot of the tier 2 top 6 guys signed today, and they signed at affordable prices.

Naslund - 2 years, 4 million per season
Satan - 1 year, 3.5 million
Fedotenko - 1 year, 2.5 million

There are still a few guys left, but the scoring wingers are about gone. We may just be standing pat. Ironically, the one guy I felt we had interest in the entire time, Demitra, is still available.....

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.