HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sign Hutch as our #6 dman

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2008, 02:16 PM
  #1
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,562
vCash: 500
Sign Hutch as our #6 dman

Last year Hutch didn't make the team because 1) he made too much for the cap and 2) he didn't play well in his own end.

Looks like both problems have been fixed. We can sign him to a reasonable contract and he has begun playing much better defensively when in Hartford.

He definitely has the offensive skills to play in the NHL and with acceptable defense play, Hutch should definitely be good enough to be our #6 dman. He was definitely better than Pock in Hartford. In fact, he was most likely the best defenseman in the AHL last year.

Bring him back Slats!

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:22 PM
  #2
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,314
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Last year Hutch didn't make the team because 1) he made too much for the cap and 2) he didn't play well in his own end.

Looks like both problems have been fixed. We can sign him to a reasonable contract and he has begun playing much better defensively when in Hartford.

He definitely has the offensive skills to play in the NHL and with acceptable defense play, Hutch should definitely be good enough to be our #6 dman. He was definitely better than Pock in Hartford. In fact, he was most likely the best defenseman in the AHL last year.

Bring him back Slats!
Fixed how? As in he is now better in his own end? Because bringing in Redden doesn't improve much in terms of defense from the blue liners (from what I've heard!).

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Hutch as long as it's for a reasonable price. I mean if we give him like 2M I'll be pissed.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:26 PM
  #3
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Not doubting you, but I thought he has yet to truly improve defensively. No one has ever questioned his offensive abilities but is he on par defensively for the NHL?

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:26 PM
  #4
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Fixed how? As in he is now better in his own end? Because bringing in Redden doesn't improve much in terms of defense from the blue liners (from what I've heard!).

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Hutch as long as it's for a reasonable price. I mean if we give him like 2M I'll be pissed.
Yes, everyone in Hartford says he has improved his defensive play significantly last year from "terrible" to "good enough". From the couple games I've seen, that looked to be true.

But when you are an offensive player, "good enough" is ... good enough. Think of Doug Lidster when he played for us. He wasn't a star, but he was certainly useful (scored the game-tying goal in Game 5 vs. Vancouver, though we blew that one).

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:40 PM
  #5
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV
 
UnderPSI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Morris Co, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 797
vCash: 500
You know... I wouldn't mind giving Hutch a shot either.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:45 PM
  #6
smoneil
Registered User
 
smoneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
I'd still rather go for Orpik. We need a bruising stay at home defenseman to pair with Redden. Roszival/Staal makes an outstanding 2nd pair. Tyutin/Girardi would probably be the best 3rd pair in the league. We need a reliable stay at home guy to pair with Redden on that first pairing. The only one that fits that bill is Orpik.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:47 PM
  #7
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,314
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
I'd still rather go for Orpik. We need a bruising stay at home defenseman to pair with Redden. Roszival/Staal makes an outstanding 2nd pair. Tyutin/Girardi would probably be the best 3rd pair in the league. We need a reliable stay at home guy to pair with Redden on that first pairing. The only one that fits that bill is Orpik.
Well if we could bring in Orpik and fill out the top two lines, that would be great. However we have limited cap space, and our forward corps is the weakest part of the team right now. I don't know that we have the money (even after trades) to bring in another high-priced defender like Orpik.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:52 PM
  #8
blue2noise
Registered User
 
blue2noise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
At this point sign him to play on the FUC*** WING!

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
  #9
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
I'd still rather go for Orpik. We need a bruising stay at home defenseman to pair with Redden. Roszival/Staal makes an outstanding 2nd pair. Tyutin/Girardi would probably be the best 3rd pair in the league. We need a reliable stay at home guy to pair with Redden on that first pairing. The only one that fits that bill is Orpik.
I'd rather have Hutch for $750 than Orpik for $3.25. It would save us $2.5 to be used on someone else. Orpik is certainly not wirth 4-5 times more money than Hutch, especially given that we already have 5 good defensemen (Reds, Staal, Rosie, Tuts and Girardi) and need the last one to round up the lineup.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:56 PM
  #10
smoneil
Registered User
 
smoneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well if we could bring in Orpik and fill out the top two lines, that would be great. However we have limited cap space, and our forward corps is the weakest part of the team right now. I don't know that we have the money (even after trades) to bring in another high-priced defender like Orpik.
True, but I really think Drury will be moving to the wing. That's the only way this offseason makes sense to me. I think that Renney liked what he saw from Anisimov at the prospects camp. That would give us:

Drury Gomez Prucha
Dawes Anisimov Korpedo
Sjostrom Dubinsky Callahan
Voros Betts Orr/Rissmiller/Whoever

Is it ideal? Not really, but if we sign Orpik and Jagr (which should be very doable once Backman's salary is shed), then we have a pretty good team all of a sudden. Dominating on defense and average on offense.

Edited to add: With Jagr, it might look more like:

Korpedo Dubinsky Jagr
Drury Gomez Prucha
Dawes Anisimov Callahan
Sjostrom/Rissmiller/Hollweg Betts Orr/Voros


Last edited by smoneil: 07-02-2008 at 03:09 PM.
smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:57 PM
  #11
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
At least 1 scoring winger is needed before Hutch gets signed but yes he should get a shot for cheap.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:31 PM
  #12
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,562
vCash: 500
Why is Anisimov ahead of Dubi?

If we sign Jags, this team will be ok. Do it Slats!


Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
True, but I really think Drury will be moving to the wing. That's the only way this offseason makes sense to me. I think that Renney liked what he saw from Anisimov at the prospects camp. That would give us:

Drury Gomez Prucha
Dawes Anisimov Korpedo
Sjostrom Dubinsky Callahan
Voros Betts Orr/Rissmiller/Whoever

Is it ideal? Not really, but if we sign Orpik and Jagr (which should be very doable once Backman's salary is shed), then we have a pretty good team all of a sudden. Dominating on defense and average on offense.

Edited to add: With Jagr, it might look more like:

Korpedo Dubinsky Jagr
Drury Gomez Prucha
Dawes Anisimov Callahan
Sjostrom/Rissmiller/Hollweg Betts Orr/Voros

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:43 PM
  #13
smoneil
Registered User
 
smoneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Why is Anisimov ahead of Dubi?

If we sign Jags, this team will be ok. Do it Slats!
Not for any particular reason. I just figured that Dubi's experience would allow him to thrive on either line. Better to give Anisimov the best chance for success.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:48 PM
  #14
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,475
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Redden - Staal
Rozie - Girardi
Hutch - Orpik

Potter/Pock

Zherdev - Dubinsky - Jagr
Dawes - Gomez - Prucha
Callahan - Drury - Rissmiller
Sjöström - Betts - Voros/Orr

Jämtin
Fritsche?

Bye Bye
Hollweg

Get it done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:50 PM
  #15
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Redden - Staal
Rozie - Girardi
Hutch - Orpik

Potter/Pock

Zherdev - Dubinsky - Jagr
Dawes - Gomez - Prucha
Callahan - Drury - Rissmiller
Sjöström - Betts - Voros/Orr

Jämtin
Fritsche?

Bye Bye
Hollweg

Get it done!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll sign up for that. Fritsche supposedly has 2nd line potential as well. He definitely wasn't just a throw in.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:57 PM
  #16
DPSNAGS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,056
vCash: 500
all i can say is wow with you guys getting zherdev but i know eklund sucks but just letting you guys know...according to him the rnagers signed brain fahey who did nasty in the ahl so he will probaly fight for a spot on defense next year

DPSNAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:22 PM
  #17
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 9,774
vCash: 500
Hutch looking like more of an option now...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:28 PM
  #18
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
At least 1 scoring winger is needed before Hutch gets signed but yes he should get a shot for cheap.
Hmmm.... let me think... maybe we can get Zherdev before we sign Hutch.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:35 PM
  #19
NYReign
Registered User
 
NYReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
I wanted to give Hutch a shot on the third pairing and now it looks like we may have to considering we only have 4 legit defensemen and he was the next best in our system. Sign him up!

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:42 PM
  #20
mti79
Registered User
 
mti79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,015
vCash: 500
Prucha-Dubi-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Zherdev
Korpedo-Drury-Callahan
Sjo-Betts-Orr/Fritsche/Voros/Rissmillier

Staal-Redden
Rosey-Girardi
Hutch-Fahey/Potter/Mara

Hmmm... not too bad... I'd take it.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:37 PM
  #21
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
I wanted to give Hutch a shot on the third pairing and now it looks like we may have to considering we only have 4 legit defensemen and he was the next best in our system. Sign him up!
Yea he deserves a shot

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.