HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Russia Threatens Top Prospects From Coming to NA (Grachev Named)

Old
07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
Russia Threatens Top Prospects From Coming to NA (Grachev Named)

Quote:
The Russian Ice Hockey Federation is reportedly threatening some of its best young players. Word is that if they come to North America and don't make the NHL next season, they will be suspended from playing for Russian national teams for four years.
The five players who they threatened: Grachev, Filatov, Tikhonov, Petrov and Voinov.

What a load of crap, a complete load. Russia should be ashamed how they are treating their own players.

Well this sure puts a damper in if he comes over now or not. And if he does, I guess he won't be in the the WJCs

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/article/341931

Last edited by FLYLine24*: 07-02-2008 at 02:14 PM.
FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:08 PM
NYR Viper

im fine with it.......the ones i want him to make are the olympic teams and i dont think grachev will be making that until after 22

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
That's Russia's loss. If they get beat b/c kids like Filatov and Grachev aren't on the team, they'll an earful from their countrymen.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:09 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
The five players who they threatened: Grachev, Filatov, Tikhonov, Petrov and Voinov.

What a load of crap, a complete load. Russia should be ashamed how they are treating their own players.

Well this sure puts a damper in if he comes over now or not. And if he does, I guess he won't be in the the WJCs
Thats pretty ******. Im willing to bet a few of them just say **** it and come over anyway.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:09 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Heck, if I were Grachev, this would make me not want to play for mother Russia, anyway. I'd say F U to the government and come over that much faster.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:11 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
That's Russia's loss. If they get beat b/c kids like Filatov and Grachev aren't on the team, they'll an earful from their countrymen.

The NHL's got to step in and get something done. This is ridiculous. Is this even legal?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

I don't know why Petrov mentioned, he is with his team Ak Bars.

Last edited by Avy*: 07-02-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Didn't the US not take Sanguinetti two years ago because he played junor hockey or am i way off?

I don't blame Russia for playing hardball but they might be screwing themselves in the future..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:16 PM
D713B

This will only hurt Russia in the long run.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:17 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Didn't the US not take Sanguinetti two years ago because he played junor hockey or am i way off?

I don't blame Russia for playing hardball but they might be screwing themselves in the future..
I remember that, too... Choosing CHL over NCAA was a no-no, apparently.

That's ****** how the Russians are dealing with their players. Hopefully it doesn't affect the Grachev situation at all.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:19 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

thats rediculous!!!

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:22 PM
eco's bones

Grachev sounds already intent about coming to North America this season. I don't see why this should stop him and the hockey team most likely to be hurt by this is the Russian one.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I think this is probably a bluff. This won't make much of a difference in respect to the Olympics or WCs, but it could wind up handcuffing Russia at the WJCs.

It looks like Russia's stance on the transfer agreement is coming back to bite them. If they started a league to rival the NHL 15 or 20 years ago, it would have been more successful. But now you have a generation of young players that grew up watching Russians play in the NHL and raise the Stanley Cup. Previous generations of players dreamed of winning gold at the Olympics or the WCs. This generation wants gold and the Cup. Russia completely underestimated the pull that the NHL had on this generation of players.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Avy*

Seems to me this article is complete BS. Petrov is still with his KHL team. Filatov can be suspended simple cuz he probably lied and actually has contract with CSKA and same with Voinov and Tikhonov.

Old
07-02-2008, 02:29 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Grachev sounds already intent about coming to North America this season. I don't see why this should stop him and the hockey team most likely to be hurt by this is the Russian one.
It shouldn't stop him, and you're right, it only hurts the Russians. They're just being bullies, and it will likely bite them in the ass.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
This will only hurt Russia in the long run.
Agreed.

Russia is one shady country.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
revious generations of players dreamed of winning gold at the Olympics or the WCs. This generation wants gold and the Cup. Russia completely underestimated the pull that the NHL had on this generation of players.
It was pretty clear after WC that Kovalchuk, Ove care more about gold than Cup. ****ing generation superstar Ovechkin honored his contract with Dynamo, Kovalchuk played in ****ing second division for Spartak i dont see WHY Filatov can not do the same! Malkin busted his ass and played 30 minutes per game for Mettalurg before NHL but Nikita Filatov and Voinov is special, right?

Old
07-02-2008, 02:38 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
It was pretty clear after WC that Kovalchuk, Ove care more about gold than Cup. ****ing generation superstar Ovechkin honored his contract with Dynamo, Kovalchuk played in ****ing second division for Spartak i dont see WHY Filatov can not do the same! Malkin busted his ass and played 30 minutes per game for Mettalurg before NHL but Nikita Filatov and Voinov is special, right?
It's the players own choice. There is no obligation to play for your country if you don't want to. Grachev is here, maybe he'll go back, who knows. It's up to the players and they players only.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
I thought Filatov and Grachen weren't under contract?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Vaheh

Send a message via MSN to Vaheh
Quote:
Um Malkin broke his contract and came a year early.How do you figure that they care more about the gold?

Vaheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Two things:

First, I never said that Russian players did not care about winning gold. I said they wanted both gold and the Cup. The WC win obviously meant a lot to everyone involved. But Ovechkin has also said that he had dreamed of winning the Stanley Cup. The point is that the days when Russians (and most Europeans) cared more about winning gold and thought the Cup was a nice bonus are over. Today's players want both, and they want them badly.

Second, I never said that Russian players should break KHL contracts. Grachev has no contract. Anisimov had no contract when he left last year. Cherepanov is finishing his contract. The Rangers are not a team that is yanking every prospect out of Russia without regard for their contract situation.

Here is the point I was making. Russia is taking a hard stance in trying to keep its talent. They rejected the transfer agreement, they formed the KHL, and they are doing everything they can to prevent young players from coming to North America. I don't think Russia is wrong for doing this, but I think they will be unsuccessful.

Like I said earlier, today's Russians grew up following their countrymen in the NHL and watching they raise the Cup. That became part of their goal as hockey players. The older generation does not seem to understand that. In their day, the Europeans who played in the NHL did so because (1) it was the best league in the world and (2) it paid the most. They thought if they could create the KHL, a league with a comparable level of play and salaries, many Russians would want to stay in Russia for their careers. And 15 or 20 years ago, this would have been more successful.

When Russia started actively getting in the way of Russians leaving for North America, such as Malkin, many younger Russians are leaving at their first chance to play in the CHL or AHL. This is because they want to play in the NHL because it is the NHL, not because it pays the most or has the highest level of competition. So Russia, in trying to keep its players, winds up driving them away sooner.

Old
07-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
Two things:

First, I never said that Russian players did not care about winning gold. I said they wanted both gold and the Cup. The WC win obviously meant a lot to everyone involved. But Ovechkin has also said that he had dreamed of winning the Stanley Cup. The point is that the days when Russians (and most Europeans) cared more about winning gold and thought the Cup was a nice bonus are over. Today's players want both, and they want them badly.

Second, I never said that Russian players should break KHL contracts. Grachev has no contract. Anisimov had no contract when he left last year. Cherepanov is finishing his contract. The Rangers are not a team that is yanking every prospect out of Russia without regard for their contract situation.

Here is the point I was making. Russia is taking a hard stance in trying to keep its talent. They rejected the transfer agreement, they formed the KHL, and they are doing everything they can to prevent young players from coming to North America. I don't think Russia is wrong for doing this, but I think they will be unsuccessful.

Like I said earlier, today's Russians grew up following their countrymen in the NHL and watching they raise the Cup. That became part of their goal as hockey players. The older generation does not seem to understand that. In their day, the Europeans who played in the NHL did so because (1) it was the best league in the world and (2) it paid the most. They thought if they could create the KHL, a league with a comparable level of play and salaries, many Russians would want to stay in Russia for their careers. And 15 or 20 years ago, this would have been more successful.

When Russia started actively getting in the way of Russians leaving for North America, such as Malkin, many younger Russians are leaving at their first chance to play in the CHL or AHL. This is because they want to play in the NHL because it is the NHL, not because it pays the most or has the highest level of competition. So Russia, in trying to keep its players, winds up driving them away sooner.
Can we lock this this tread already. This wonderful discussion russian mentality based on made-up article.

Bu-dush!

http://allhockey.ru/news/32870/

"I had contract with CSKA, i just wanted to play in NHL" ****ing lier this Filatov.

Old
07-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Kodiak

Quote:
Can we lock this this tread already. This wonderful discussion russian mentality based on made-up article.

Bu-dush!

http://allhockey.ru/news/32870/

"I had contract with CSKA, i just wanted to play in NHL" ****ing lier this Filatov.
Geez, you're sensitive about this.

My view of the shifting mentality of Russian players has nothing to do with this specific article and everything to do with Russia pressuring young players to stay in Russia and the increasing number of young Russians coming over to play in the CHL and AHL. If you have another explanation, I'm listening.

Old
07-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Ace2008

just talking w/ a few scouts last week

Gratchev is about a year away from the NHL

whether he's a #3/4 forward or a top 6 scorer isn't the question

which position will he play is the Question

now w/ the Zherdev+D.Fritsche-=Tyutin+Backman trade

expect Kalinin to be a nYr target...same style and playing ability w/ good poise...and Drury could convince him a bit about the worth of the NYR market...or he could just check out the night clubs/ restaurants

anybody know of a good Right handed Russian Dman not in the NHL currently under 30 years of age

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

At the Combine, I was very clearly told that even though Filatov said in every interview that he had no contract with a Russian team, that this was subject to interpretation. That there were Russian legal issues for all the players that would come to NA starting this Spring, including the ones that thought they no longer had contracts with Russian teams. It remains to be seen how it will shake out.

Last edited by Leslie Treff: 07-02-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote