HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Cole, perfect for the third line.

Old
07-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Phaser

vCash: 500
i think the first line stays the same, because hemsky, horcoff, and penner started to gel so if you start the year with them, they will pick up where they left off (hopefully)
cole you put on the second line with gagner and nilsson, which would be perfect for gagner cuz then he would have a finisher (cogliano still needs to grow in that area)

Phaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

After MacTavish just said He would be stupid to split up the kids, and how excited and impressed he sounded about Schremp I see this

Penner - Horcoff - Hemsky 1 - Toughest ES minutes
Nilsson - Gagner - Cogliano 2A - Softest ES minutes
Cole - Brodziak/Pouliot - Schremp 2B - Above average defensive scoring line 2.
Moreau - Pouliot/Brodziak - Pisani 4 - Shut down, calming prescense.
EX: Stortini, Brule

This is what I see

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:38 PM
phi1086

Exactly, with MacT saying he won't split up the kids (his decision outways all stay at home bench bosses here) then that put Penner or Cole on the third line. The team invested long term in Penner, and dealt for Cole and inherited his contract; I think Penner starts the year with Hemmer and Horc.

Everyone gets so upset about the idea of a top-six winger on the 3rd line. Nowadays with averaging close to six powerplays per game Cole would get his ice time on the PP and still get ice-time equal to a "top-sixer". MacT won't be splitting up the two lines that worked so well together when healthy; unless they falter.

To say rapaciously that there is no chance Cole with start along side Brodz and Pisani is just ignorant.

phi1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:46 PM
40oz

I like

Cole - Horcoff - Hemsky
Penner - Gagner - Nilsson
Moreau - Cogs - Pisani
Brodziak- Pouliot - Stortini

Call-ups: Schremp, Brule, Potulny

Lots of top 6 depth

Visnovsky - Souray
Smid - Gilbert
Grebeshkov - Staois

Call-ups: Peckham, Roy, Chorney

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:56 PM
big angry*

ROFL. Third line.

He was on the first line in Carolina, who by most people's account have had one of the deepest forward groups in the league for the last 3 years or so.

Third line. That is just laughable.

big angry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 05:06 PM
phi1086

he was behind stillman actually.

Old
07-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by big angry View Post
ROFL. Third line.

He was on the first line in Carolina, who by most people's account have had one of the deepest forward groups in the league for the last 3 years or so.

Third line. That is just laughable.
Agree ... 3rd line makes no sense.. Lowe mentioned he'll be after a skill guy for the top line and add some grit on the 2nd line..

a second line of Penner-Pouliot-Cole spell GRIT to me..

(Demitra\Straka\Jagr\Havlat)-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-(Pouliot/Schremp/Brule)-Cole
Nilsson-Gagner-Cogliano
Moreau-Brodziak-Pisani

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 05:08 PM
GMofOilers

Penner will be moved down. He was never a first line player until he came here and got forced into it. Also started the season very very slowly because of it. Lowe realized hes got kids all as 2 nd liners, and realized penner was not a top 6 forward.

That is why he got cole. He even called Cole a top 6 forward. Maybe Penner will be but surely wasnt last year.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 05:23 PM
phi1086

Not to take anything away from Cole or anything, but Penner produces at relatively the same clip as Cole. Considering Cole's division, and the fact that he got more TOI than Penner last year (when he was healthy) I dont think anything is set in stone. Penner doesnt have the foot speed to play in a checking role, but who knows what will have come October. I hope Gagner has worked on his faceoffs if he's going to be in the middle of the second line.

Bottom line, we have tonnes of looks and no one is secure in their spot (except Horc and Hemmer)

Old
07-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi1086 View Post
I spend hours everyday reading this board, but never post; threads always resort to name calling, **** measuring, etc. But here it goes.
I know that Cole may be regarded as a top six winger, I personally agree with Darren Pang; that Cole is best suited for the third line.

If the Kid line doesn't slip, I know that the odds are that they will to some extent, then there is no real reason to separate them. Penner's speed, or lack there of, is not suited for a shut down role at all and the top unit's chemistry last year was obvious; so I think Cole is the obvious choice.

He is quick out of the corner's and is very responsible defensively. He also is a banger, perfect to match up against the other team's top forwards. He will still draw in on one of the top two powerplay units, so his goals will come; and furthermore, having a third line that can score is what would separate us from the rest of the northwest.
Secondly, I think Brodz time for 3rd line duty is here; that doesn't mean we cut Moreau's ice time, but he can concentrate on PK.

Penner Horcoff Hemsky
Rowbert Cogliano Gagner
Cole Brodziak Pisani
Moreau Brule Stortini/Pouliot

I just think this is a much more balanced line-up, with three lines that can score and a fourth line with a great vet presence. Camp, preseason, and inter-squads will clear this up. What do you think?
Good post. I agree with you that Brodziak is an emerging player, and deserves the chance to play with some higher end forwards. He should get more responsibility this season, with Pouliot centering the 4th line.

I think Brodziak will get the chance to play with Penner and Cole on the LW to see what works.

Cole - Brodziak - Pisani would be a very good line IMO.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Gunner8811

I sure hope the Oilers didn't trade for him so they can put him on the 3rd line. Cole has scored more goals then anyone on the Oilers in the last 3 years and his 22 last year would have been 1 behind Penner and Cole played 9 less games.
Unless they traded Pitkanen for a 3rd line winger.

Gunner8811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:33 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Cole has to be 1st/2nd line player

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Hemsky4PM

He's only a 3rd liner if you're planning on giving the no.4 line about 3 shifts a game.

I think his speed lands him with Hemsky and Horcoff. I think that's a better trio than we had with Smyth there.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:43 PM
dashingsilverfox*

If you want Cole to sign long term you do not play him on the third line.

You just don't.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:47 PM
awesomo
HARD!

and hes not a third line player, he has the skill and ability to play on the first line or the second

Old
07-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Alex87

In 2006, Cole had 30 goals in 60 games before he was injured. If he had played the full 82, he probably would have had 34-38 goals.

Granted, his numbers have slipped the last couple years, but it's not like he doesn't look like the same player out there. If you put him wiht Hemsky and Horcoff, not to mention being in the western conference, he could hit those numbers from 2006 again. Especially if the chemistry is there. Maybe if the chemistry doesn't work out then you can move him down to the third line, but you at least owe him until Christmas being a top six forward to see what he can do.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Soundwave

I don't really worry about this.

Cole is kinda like a poor-mans Iginla (I mean that as a compliment) more than he is like Penner.

He's quicker than Penner, has a more accurate shot, more agile, and a better skater.

I think in training camp it'll become clear he's a better fit with Hemsky, unless we end up getting say Jagr.

I could see Cole doing very well with Gagner + Nilsson though as well.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:04 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Not to take anything away from Cole or anything, but Penner produces at relatively the same clip as Cole. Considering Cole's division, and the fact that he got more TOI than Penner last year (when he was healthy) I dont think anything is set in stone. Penner doesnt have the foot speed to play in a checking role, but who knows what will have come October. I hope Gagner has worked on his faceoffs if he's going to be in the middle of the second line.

Bottom line, we have tonnes of looks and no one is secure in their spot (except Horc and Hemmer)
He also doesnt have the foot speed to keep up with Horc and Hemmer. Cole does.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:07 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Penner started keeping up in the later parts of the season, i think his foot speed is a little overblown, big guys just dont need as many strides as small players to reach a lot of speed

Old
07-02-2008, 07:15 PM
NMK

Cole should be a great fit for our first line as he is Penner with more heart, skill, bang, and speed.

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Cole is the guy you hoped Penner would be last year, the elite goalscorer to play with Hemsky. I think those two, with Horcoff, could be deadly. Wasting Cole on the third line is a huge mistake IMO if it happens, especially if you hope Cole re-signs.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:42 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownpipe View Post
I could see a few different combos being successful, but I would still put him up top with Horc and Hemmer if we don't land anyone else. That top line would be blazing fast and the guy is a gritty, proven 30g scorer who's handled the tough minutes in the past. I think Penner would be better suited playing softer minutes and creating space for Gagner and Nilsson on the 2nd line.
Cole knows where his own end is and plays it pretty effectively. He's a veteran, stabilizing presence. And Penner/Horcoff/Hemsky were developing a nice chemistry.

Therefore, I'd start out by trying him with Gagner and probably Nilsson on the wing. Suddenly, you don't have to protect the "kids" so much with matchups anymore. Cole could be as nice a compliment to their skillset as he could be to Hemsky's AND he's being used effectively as a safety net too.

That would be my Plan A.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:57 PM
17isGod

Quote:
Exactly, with MacT saying he won't split up the kids (his decision outways all stay at home bench bosses here) then that put Penner or Cole on the third line. The team invested long term in Penner, and dealt for Cole and inherited his contract; I think Penner starts the year with Hemmer and Horc.

Everyone gets so upset about the idea of a top-six winger on the 3rd line. Nowadays with averaging close to six powerplays per game Cole would get his ice time on the PP and still get ice-time equal to a "top-sixer". MacT won't be splitting up the two lines that worked so well together when healthy; unless they falter.

To say rapaciously that there is no chance Cole with start along side Brodz and Pisani is just ignorant.
Let them blast you -- you're dead on.

Assuming that chemistry comes back in Horpensky, you have nailed the lines.

17isGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:58 PM
17isGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Cole knows where his own end is and plays it pretty effectively. He's a veteran, stabilizing presence. And Penner/Horcoff/Hemsky were developing a nice chemistry.

Therefore, I'd start out by trying him with Gagner and probably Nilsson on the wing. Suddenly, you don't have to protect the "kids" so much with matchups anymore. Cole could be as nice a compliment to their skillset as he could be to Hemsky's AND he's being used effectively as a safety net too.

That would be my Plan A.
That's my plan B, but it's headed in the right direction.

17isGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:02 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:

"excessively grasping or covetous"

Using your logic, the team has also invested long term in Hemsky. Does that mean he plays on the third line too?

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote