HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Russia Threatens Top Prospects From Coming to NA (Grachev Named)

Old
07-02-2008, 08:44 PM
squishy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
Second, I never said that Russian players should break KHL contracts. Grachev has no contract. Anisimov had no contract when he left last year.
This is not true. Grachev has a contract, as did Anisimov. In fact, Anisimov's still got a contract with Yaroslavl. But they let him go. I assumed that they were willing to do the same with Grachev, so I'm not sure why the Russian Hockey Federation is stepping in.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Den

Quote:
My view of the shifting mentality of Russian players has nothing to do with this specific article and everything to do with Russia pressuring young players to stay in Russia.
The first part of this sentence contradicts the second, IMHO.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
This is not true. Grachev has a contract, as did Anisimov. In fact, Anisimov's still got a contract with Yaroslavl. But they let him go. I assumed that they were willing to do the same with Grachev, so I'm not sure why the Russian Hockey Federation is stepping in.
Not according to Gordie Clark:
Quote:
Grachev, however, "is not under contract in Russia," said Rangers director of player personnel Gordie Clark.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...tory?track=rss

I may be mistaken on Anisimov. I thought I remembered from last year that he was in between contracts and the Rangers wanted him out before he signed a long-term contract in Russia.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:29 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Didn't the US not take Sanguinetti two years ago because he played junor hockey or am i way off?

I don't blame Russia for playing hardball but they might be screwing themselves in the future..
The difference is that the US didn't come out and do it as policy, at least not to the public. They just operate in a subtle way that sends the message but still allows the program to deny those intentions.

I don't like it no matter who does it, you enter events to do your best, not further the goals of your leagues or programs. And you certainly do not use young players as pawns and mortgage their futures to achieve your goals. That being said, I have more respect for the Russians being up front and out in the open with their decisions.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
The first part of this sentence contradicts the second, IMHO.
That would be true, if this article was the only evidence on Russia trying to keep its young players in Russia. There's still the Malkin situation, the fact that Cherepanov is staying in Russia despite the Rangers' attempts to bring him over, the widespread anxiety among NHL GMs concerning Russians at the draft, and everything that's been said around the rejection of the IIHF transfer agreement and the formation of the KHL. Even if this article is complete BS, there is plenty of evidence suggesting that Russia is tired of having its best players play overseas.

Old
07-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Den

Quote:
That would be true, if this article was the only evidence on Russia trying to keep its young players in Russia. There's still the Malkin situation, the fact that Cherepanov is staying in Russia despite the Rangers' attempts to bring him over, the widespread anxiety among NHL GMs concerning Russians at the draft, and everything that's been said around the rejection of the IIHF transfer agreement and the formation of the KHL. Even if this article is complete BS, there is plenty of evidence suggesting that Russia is tired of having its best players play overseas.
The key word, I guess, is pressuring. The only one that qualifies to date is Malkin. For everything else that has been done - a round of aplause to the RHF. I guess Cherry is staying because according to Fasel the NHL is going to honor the KHL contracts....

Old
07-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Kodiak

Quote:
The key word, I guess, is pressuring. The only one that qualifies to date is Malkin. For everything else that has been done - a round of aplause to the RHF.
Pressuring may have been a poor choice of words on my part. Russia is clearly trying to change the dynamic in the hockey world. I have no problem with them trying to create a rival league or insisting that players honor their contracts. I do have a problem with strong-arming players into contracts (like Malkin) and threatening players (as in this article, if it's true).

Regardless, I think Russia's efforts are counter-productive and sending talented Russians to NA sooner rather than later.

Old
07-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Den

Quote:
Regardless, I think Russia's efforts are counter-productive and sending talented Russians to NA sooner rather than later.
Why so? Most youngster actually do stay home now, as compared to several years ago. 5 ppl coming over is several times fewer than in the 90's-early 00's

Old
07-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Edge

What do you expect, it's Russia.

I'll leave my comments there because I could off on a tanget that will surely be perceived as stereotyping the culture, even though it's true and half the people who would attempt to "call me out" on it probably have never set foot in the country.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Kodiak

Quote:
Why so? Most youngster actually do stay home now, as compared to several years ago. 5 ppl coming over is several times fewer than in the 90's-early 00's
It's not that these players are coming over; it's that these players are coming over so soon after their draft. Ten years ago, you could leave a prospect in the RSL until he was 21 or 22 and then he could jump straight to the NHL. Now, more are coming over at 18 and 19 to play in the CHL or AHL. Why? I can't say for sure. It might be that they believe that coming over sooner is the fastest route to the NHL. It might be that they are afraid of being pressured to stay in Russia. It might be that they want to show their NHL teams that they are committed to playing in the NHL. It might be a combination of the three.

But in years past, it was much rarer to see young Russians in NA minor leagues.

Old
07-03-2008, 12:19 AM
Den

Quote:
Ten years ago, you could leave a prospect in the RSL until he was 21 or 22 and then he could jump straight to the NHL.

But in years past, it was much rarer to see young Russians in NA minor leagues.
Common, there was a host of small names playing in the minors. Most did come over at the age of 18-20 to plough in the CHL and the likes.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:41 PM
squishy

Quote:
Not according to Gordie Clark:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...tory?track=rss

I may be mistaken on Anisimov. I thought I remembered from last year that he was in between contracts and the Rangers wanted him out before he signed a long-term contract in Russia.
Filatov told everyone he had no contract too...

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote