HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll #10

View Poll Results: #10
Miika Wiikman (G) 9 9.47%
Hugh Jessiman (F) 9 9.47%
Carl Hagelin (F) 21 22.11%
Corey Potter (D) 21 22.11%
Ryan Hiller (F) 25 26.32%
Tomas Zaborsky (F) 10 10.53%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-30-2008, 09:12 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
He isn't skilled.

You need to watch a player allot before you can say for sure how good he is, but its not that hard to tell how well a player skates or handle the puck -- right? Like you only need to watch a player like Ilya Kovalchuk 3 shifts before you can tell that he is skilled, and you only need to watch a player like Colton Orr 3 shifts before you can tell that he isn't that skilled. That he doesn't skate that well and the he doesn't handle the puck that well.

If I would compare Zabrosky with a NHLer it would be Jonathan Cheechoo. Zabrosky is a goal scorer, he positions himself really well and he got a good shot. He defenitly got the right attitude.

But he isn't a good skater, he is pretty choppy; he doesn't handle the puck all that well, he doesn't challenge D's 1 on 1 et c. (For a future NHL player).

But that doesn't gaurantee a thing, because I would have said the same things about Marc Savard for example; he isn't all that skilled either... For him its all instincts. And his instincts have always shown in the stat sheet. Zabrosky's have not.

I am very positive when it comes to prospects, and don't mind hyping someone. There is often always a chance. But my bet is that Zabrosky was little seen by everyone on the in scence when he was drafted. Scouts had mostly seen him play against other Slovaks and only in a few int tournaments. Its extremely hard to "cross scout" hockeyplayers. Like to comapre a kid who you have seen in Slovak, where he has played against Slovak juniors, to a kid in the CHL playing against canadian juniors.

I don't mind a draft pick like Zabrosky, its a gamble, but there is a possibility since there is a possibility that he is better then what it seems like so to speak.

But IMO its clear that Zabrosky and Skokan wasn't diamonds in the rough.
Alright, I hear what you're saying. But Kovalchuk and Orr are obviously the extreme ends of the spectrum-- superstar and goon. Zaborsky isn't a superstar or a goon, so obviously, you have to look at a broad body of work to find out just what you have. IMO, watching a guy for a few games in the WJC is not nearly enough time to draw any concrete conclusions about what a player is and isn't.

From what I've read-- and seen, watching his games online-- his two-way game is much improved, his skating is at least average, and he has excellent hands. Now, I still haven't seen enough of him to project anything more than a solid AHL player, but in about 4 spots, I would have no problem voting for him.

Again, to each his/her own... That's what this poll is all about. I just think you need to see a substantial amount of play from one player before writing him off as AHL depth, particularly a guy like Zaborsky who has posted solid numbers.

It's just pain.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 06-30-2008 at 09:22 PM.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 01:30 PM
SouvenirCity

vCash: 500
Jessiman, add Pyatt

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 02:44 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

In case anyone is wondering...this will start up again on July 4th after all the excitement dies down...

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:41 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
In case anyone is wondering...this will start up again on July 4th after all the excitement dies down...
Fly, please take off Jessiman. He is no longer considered a prospect according to HF.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:50 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Fly, please take off Jessiman. He is no longer considered a prospect according to HF.
Thanks for the heads up, Jessiman will be removed from the poll.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote