HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zidlicky traded

Old
07-03-2008, 07:54 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
You just summed up your entire sorry career here in one sentence! If you had a tenth of the heart of Ryan, you'd have made All-American by now! As it is, you just went from third team to the scout team! Get out of here!
Excuse me, but who rattled your chain?
If you have a personal beef with someone kindly handle it in private-- we don't need this kind of attitude from an outsider on the Preds forum.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:55 AM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda of the chains View Post
Excuse me, but who rattled your chain?
If you have a personal beef with someone kindly handle it in private-- we don't need this kind of attitude from an outsider on the Preds forum.
Sadly I know this, but that's just a quote from the movie "Rudy" - not sure what relevance it has here, but I don't think he's taking shots at anybody.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:00 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
Originally Posted by predhead1 View Post
Sadly I know this, but that's just a quote from the movie "Rudy" - not sure what relevance it has here, but I don't think he's taking shots at anybody.
I came on here ready to snipe at that guy too... then I read your post.

I saw Rudy once many years ago, which is probably why I didn't catch on. But adding in the name instead of Ryan, it makes sense.

quartermaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:08 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Even if you didn't know that quote was from Rudy, come on guys! There's nothing about that post that makes even a bit of sense if he's being serious. But I do enjoy the reactions.

p.s. Rabbins is a Red Wings fan, so I'm morally and contractually obligated to encourage further attacks on him. Hey, I don't make the rules...

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:01 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
While that's certainly true, nothing hurts the bottom line more than losing...and I know it's early, but it's hard to be excited about our chances when everyone around us is stocking up\improving and we're staying a course that barely squeaked us in last year.
We heard the same thing last season.

I don't think we'll miss Zids much at all, especially at even strength.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I guess my real questions are - does he have room to grow? does he project out to be a 2nd liner? third liner? 4th liner?

You input so far has been amazing.
First off, thank you for the kind words.

In answer to your questions:

1) Yes he does and it is part of the reason why I think this was a good deal for the Preds.

2) I think it depends on how Trotz and Co. will utilize Ryan because he can fill pretty much any role that you can put a forward into. Ryan can score goals, he can kill penalties, he can be that so-called "checking line forward" and so on.

dulzhok: What makes you think that Ryan has absolutely zero chance of making an impact this year?

RabbinsDuck: I'm merely stating my opinion of a player whose entire collegiate career I have followed closely. Now if you disagree with my opinions, that's fine, but rather than resorting to such comments, why not offer up your own opposite opinion on why you dislike Ryan and/or think his acquisition wasn't good for the Preds.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
We heard the same thing last season.

I don't think we'll miss Zids much at all, especially at even strength.
and we scraped by all season, needing a monumental collapse by the blues in the last week of the season to usher us in as the 8th seed. Columbus did next to nothing, last season. Chicago did very little, outside signing Lang and bringing in the kids.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:46 PM
RabbinsDuck

Quote:
RabbinsDuck: I'm merely stating my opinion of a player whose entire collegiate career I have followed closely. Now if you disagree with my opinions, that's fine, but rather than resorting to such comments, why not offer up your own opposite opinion on why you dislike Ryan and/or think his acquisition wasn't good for the Preds.
Apologies, I let my Id carry me away there... just your description of him reminded me so much of one of the speeches in 'Rudy' that I could not resist. Sorry for the disturbance!

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:11 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
and we scraped by all season, needing a monumental collapse by the blues in the last week of the season to usher us in as the 8th seed. Columbus did next to nothing, last season. Chicago did very little, outside signing Lang and bringing in the kids.
Maybe that's what we do and we will be notably better.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:49 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:

You can frame the season in any way you like. You could also say that we spotted the entire conference 5-10 points with our early season swoon only to make it all back and make the playoffs by 3 points despite playing the season without our two best defensemen from the previous year (Weber/Timonen). And that if we hadn't put ourselves in that hole, we might have been the 5th or 6th seed.

And there is some serious revisionist history going on here. St. Louis took 7 points in their last 6 games. Their "monumental collapse" began in January. And it's the same collapse that most mediocre, not playoff worthy teams go through (see Preds pre-2003, CBJ for their entire existence, etc.). It was a noticeable collapse, but I think it showed their early season form was more fortune than talent.

This won't be an easy season. And we'll need top form out of Hamhuis, Suter, and Weber, something they've never showed all in the same season, for us to be near what we are capable of being. If you look at the rosters, however, we have the talent to be in the playoffs. While our division should be tougher as I don't expect Chicago to fall back and I expect Columbus to take a full step forward, there's no reason that three teams can't make the playoffs. Especially if the Red Wings have the customary post-Cup season that we've seen from the Ducks, Tampa, etc. in years past.

And why are we assuming that doing something in the UFA frenzy equates to success? Look at the major UFA teams from years past. You could argue that, at worst, there is an inverse relationship between the money spent in the UFA market and points in the standings. At best, there is virtually no correlation between the two. But let's not let history get in the way of perceived reality, right?

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 07-04-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old
07-04-2008, 12:07 PM
braindead

We also suffered with monumentally crappy goaltending from our starter and several bouts of mediocrity from his backup. Who knows what it will look like this year but we certainly have the opportunity for improvement in that key area.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:55 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
We also suffered with monumentally crappy goaltending from our starter and several bouts of mediocrity from his backup. Who knows what it will look like this year but we certainly have the opportunity for improvement in that key area.
Im not looking for much improvement there. Ellis got very hot in the end of season run to make the playoffs.

Even with Mase's weak year the Preds finished 12th in save percentage at 90.8. Just ahead of Detroit. (Vouky and Anderson ranked number one at 92.0) Our goals against average ranked 16th. If our defense is what's on the upswing shouldn't those rankings be reversed?

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:58 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Use sats to make an arguement all you want but if you watched the Predators all season you would have noticed just how crappy and inconsistant our goaltending was, atleast 5 games were losses thanks directly to our goaltending.

In fact it was so bad, we brought up Rinne.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:47 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Im not looking for much improvement there. Ellis got very hot in the end of season run to make the playoffs.

Even with Mase's weak year the Preds finished 12th in save percentage at 90.8. Just ahead of Detroit. (Vouky and Anderson ranked number one at 92.0) Our goals against average ranked 16th. If our defense is what's on the upswing shouldn't those rankings be reversed?

The Preds should always finish high in save percentage because they tend to allow more shots on goal than the average team. I cannot remember the last time we finished in the top half of the league in shots allowed.

Save percentage leaders are generally those who face the most shots. Of the top 15 save % leaders, only 4 played for teams in the top half of the league in shots allowed. And none came from teams in the top 5.

Remember, save percentage is considered the best measure of a goaltenders quality. But while it is a better representation than GAA, it's horribly flawed and undeniably favors goalies on teams who give up lots of shots (the top 15 in Save % faced ~2.2 SOG more per game than the 16-30 goalies).

But I understand where you are coming from and don't think we should expect a better result from Ellis than we got last year. However, we have to hope for a better result than what we received from Mason. And considering our shots on goal total was about 12th worst in the league, I'd say that a save percentage of 12th is solid but not exactly spectacular.

Old
07-05-2008, 03:05 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
how crappy and inconsistant our goaltending was, atleast 5 games were losses thanks directly to our goaltending.
And no games were wins thanks directly to our goaltending?

Don't get me wrong guys. Some of those games by Mase and Ellis were frustrating as heck to me.

But I am saying I don't expect goaltending to be a strength. I believe it's a fallacy to say "we sucked last year so we'll be better" since Ellis was a part of that inconsistency.

We'll be better in goal, but no way does Ellis reproduce a 92+ save percentage IMO. If he comes in at .910+ than it'll be a very good year, but it won't be what carries the Preds. I know nobody is saying that of course. But I don't discount what Ellis did down the stretch. It's not like our great scoring carried us in because the goaltending suddenly became only consistent.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 07-05-2008 at 03:14 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:03 PM
braindead

I'm sticking by my statement: it is an opportunity for improvement. Mason lost games for us, period. Ellis mostly didn't lose games for us but rarely if ever won a game for us until the final few games. If we improve, it will be because one of them actually steals some games for us and they otherwise play with some consistency.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote