HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ideal Defensive Pairings?

Old
07-02-2008, 03:49 PM
HockyStr99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
Staal-Redden
Orpik-Rozsival
Hutchinson/Potter-Girardi

Trade Tyutin and Backman to make room for Orpik and a winger...
smart man

HockyStr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:28 PM
NYReign

Quote:
Staal-Redden
Orpik-Rozsival
Hutchinson/Potter-Girardi

Trade Tyutin and Backman to make room for Orpik and a winger...
First off, good call me lol. But more importantly, now what the hell do we do? W/O Orpik there's major holes here, we need to sign a UFA I'm not counting on both Hutch (yes I know he also needs to be signed) and Potter...

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Pugs35

Quote:
First off, good call me lol. But more importantly, now what the hell do we do? W/O Orpik there's major holes here, we need to sign a UFA I'm not counting on both Hutch (yes I know he also needs to be signed) and Potter...
Possibly Mara with a bit of a pay cut? It seems like everyone's forgotten about him. But we do lose some toughness back there for sure.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:42 PM
mti79

Put it in another thread, but what about a lineup of:
Prucha-Dubi-Jagr
Dawes-Gomez-Zherdev
Korpedo-Drury-Callahan
Sjo-Betts-Orr/Fritsche/Voros/Rissmillier

Staal-Redden
Rosey-Girardi
Hutch-Fahey/Potter/Mara

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:10 PM
shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Girardi was shaky for most of the season as a 2nd pairing dman, and was regularly beat by superstars when 1 on 1.... putting him on the first pairing would make him even more vulnerable. no way he deserves first pairing
yeh Girardi was so shakey they gave him a million dollar raise.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Ola

Staal-Redden//A pairing that can log allot of minutes. Like an avg of 24-26 min per night.
Sangunetti-Roz//Sangs would play with Roz 5 on 5 and then some on the PP, but would rest on the PK. Roz gets like 22-24 minutes per night and Sangs like 16-20.
X1-Girardi
X2

X and X2 would be cheap vets on 1 year deals. Like everything from a Sean Hill to a Lance Ward. Aaron Miller. Jason Strudwick copys. If a Correy Potter or Mike Sauer could challenge them, fine, it won't be that hard, as long as they are experienced and hardnosed they are fine. They wouldn't log allot of ice time. Like 10-15 minutes, Girardi gets some more on the special teams.

Last edited by Ola: 07-02-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:18 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Redden-???
Staal-Rozival
???-Girardi

feel like they are gonna keep Redden and Staal on the left side, and Girardi and Rozie on the right side considering their handedness. i still feel a deal is coming from another d-man, though if Jagr is let go, it wouldn't surprise me if the staff gives a spot to a Hartford D-man. Don't think Sangs is ready, but would not surprise me if he gets the promotion as the organization moves towards a rebuilding transitional season...

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Kendo

I would prefer to have opposite-handed pairings:

Redden - Rozsival
Staal - Girardi

or even

Staal - Rozsival
Redden - Girardi

Either way, we really need to address our 3rd pair. Many believe Potter could make it, but he may need someone more experienced to play with. Maybe Mara?

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:34 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
I would prefer to have opposite-handed pairings:

Redden - Rozsival
Staal - Girardi

or even

Staal - Rozsival
Redden - Girardi

Either way, we really need to address our 3rd pair. Many believe Potter could make it, but he may need someone more experienced to play with. Maybe Mara?
No...no...no...you get Redden because he can play heavy minutes with Staal, and mentors the kid. You move Rozsival down because he does not play as well playing so many minutes. Those are the two biggest reasons to bring Redden in. Redden also plays better with a stable partner...not one given to the occasional mental farts that Rozsival does.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:46 PM
battlerex99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
No...no...no...you get Redden because he can play heavy minutes with Staal, and mentors the kid. You move Rozsival down because he does not play as well playing so many minutes. Those are the two biggest reasons to bring Redden in. Redden also plays better with a stable partner...not one given to the occasional mental farts that Rozsival does.
Backwards logic. Staal didn't play big minutes last year, Rozsival did. Don't give me any crap about how he did at the end of the year, that's a lie. Look at the game logs:

Rozy:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...g?playerId=806

Staal:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...?playerId=3250

Staal occassionally played over 20 minutes in a game, even at the end of the year. Rozy played at least 20 minutes every game last year and averaged 24. Just look at the two and it's obvious who's better suited to first pair minutes (both were also +0 last year). The pairings should also reflect handedness. A right-handed player on the right side, a left-handed player on the left side. I see it being:

Redden - Rozsival
Staal - Girardi
??? - ???

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:51 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerex99 View Post
Backwards logic. Staal didn't play big minutes last year, Rozsival did. Don't give me any crap about how he did at the end of the year, that's a lie. Look at the game logs:

Rozy:

Staal:

Staal occassionally played over 20 minutes in a game, even at the end of the year. Rozy played at least 20 minutes every game last year and averaged 24. Just look at the two and it's obvious who's better suited to first pair minutes (both were also +0 last year). The pairings should also reflect handedness. A right-handed player on the right side, a left-handed player on the left side. I see it being:

Redden - Rozsival
Staal - Girardi
??? - ???
And did you see the quality of play you got from Rozsival in the minutes? Rozsival is NOT a top pairing D-man. Put him on the 2nd pairing, and you get a better D-man.

As for Staal, Renney babied the kid last year. Watch his minutes go up big time as he continues to develop. Frankly, he was only Ranger D-man worth squat against the Pens, who didn't look intimidated or overwhelmed by the Pens attack. And, he's only 20 years old. Put him next to Redden, and watch his development continue to go straight up.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Cherepanisimov

reddsen-staal
rozy-girardi
UFA/TRADE-UFA/TRADE
please, no potter yet, maybe as a 7th, but he's really not ready.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:59 PM
NYRamonte10

Defense

Redden- Rozsival

Staal- Girardi

Risky-Screwed

NYRamonte10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:06 PM
dank

why not MARA?!

guh, for a little less he's perfect

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:06 PM
NYReign

Currently, I'd go with

Staal-Redden
Girardi-Rozsival
Jason Smith-Hutchinson (who both could be signed for 1.75 (Smith) and about 1.0 (Hutch) hopefully)

but since we have a glut of depth-y wingers [Sjostrom, Callahan, Rissmiller, Fritsche, Voros, Korpikoski, Byers, Hollweg, Orr] I'm hoping a couple of them (Rissmiller and Fritsche or Sjostrom ideally) could get packaged for a decent 3rd pairing guy or even better a 3rd line LW and sign what I had above.

Dawes-Gomez-Zherdev
Prucha-Dubinsky-Jagr (worked once before..)
Sjostrom-Drury-Cally
Fritsche-Betts-Voros

Staal-Redden
Girardi-Rozsy
Smith-Hutch

Hank
Vally

I'd hold onto Orr and Byers as scratches and trade Rissmiller and Sjostrom for someone better in that spot, but we'll see what happens...

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Rags225

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerex99 View Post

Rozy:

Staal:

Redden - Rozsival
Staal - Girardi
??? - ???

Exactly. And Renney said he likes to have on of each on each pairing if he can. This is probably what you will see. Plus this gives you a real solid dman on each of the first two pairings.

Putting Redden and Staal would be putting all your eggs in one basket, and leaving Rozy and Girardi hung out to dry w/ each other.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:02 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Exactly. And Renney said he likes to have on of each on each pairing if he can. This is probably what you will see. Plus this gives you a real solid dman on each of the first two pairings.

Putting Redden and Staal would be putting all your eggs in one basket, and leaving Rozy and Girardi hung out to dry w/ each other.
Sadly the way this has unfolded I think you're right. I'm kinda upset that Rozi/Redden will cut into Staal's minutes (if it happens like this) and I would have really liked to see a Staal/Redden pair - but I don't see how else you can pair our top 4.

07-03-2008, 08:24 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Well put. Roszsival is anything but a top-pairing defenseman. LIke you, I believe that Redden is here to play with Stall, logging heavy minutes. Rozsival's partner will be Girardi, who will cover up for Rozsival's many miscues. If Smith could be had for the 3rd pairing, I would be very happy.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Rags225

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Sadly the way this has unfolded I think you're right. I'm kinda upset that Rozi/Redden will cut into Staal's minutes (if it happens like this) and I would have really liked to see a Staal/Redden pair - but I don't see how else you can pair our top 4.
also look what Anaheim does. They separate their three best dman. I think Schneider was playing as a 3rd pairing dman. it is a great way to do.

Redden (L) - Rosy (R)
Staal (L) - Girardi (R)
UH-OH

Old
07-03-2008, 09:10 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Redden (L) - Rosy (R)
Staal (L) - Girardi (R)
UH-OH
Lmao...that is why I think Glen is not done yet

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Rags225

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Lmao...that is why I think Glen is not done yet
he can't be... at least one of prucha, Dawes, cally, sjostrom, fritsche, moore, korpi, or Betts will be trade for at least 1 dman.

I put Betts in there b/c w/ the acquisition ofr Fritsche he is now expendable.

Old
07-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Ace2008

simple and sweet----

Staal----Redden Shutdown Duo

Mara*2.1*-Roz--PP Duo

Fahey/UFA------Girardi-.somebody experienced to help Girardi improve

Pock------Potter

Hopefully everybody stays healthy unlike last season and the team can take the next step into the finals...now whether thats the conf finals or the cup finals is up to how the coaching figures out to effectively run 4 scoring lines instead of the 3 lines score and Betts tries to shut em down mentality that has handicapped the team for 2 straight playoff pushes

both times the team was beaten by a 4 line team....Its time to use all those great wingers the team has collected it already has the pivots

Dubinsky--Gomez--Drury--Anisimov

Heck they could even have G.Moore play Center he's great Defensively and skates/hits/ blocks w/ authority

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:41 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Redden-Rozsival
Staal-Girardi
TBD-TBD

07-03-2008, 09:47 AM
bOnEs516

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Redden-Rozsival
Staal-Girardi
TBD-TBD
thats who I would pair but I am a little nervous about the TBD's...

bOnEs516 is offline   Reply With Quote