HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Speculation: Jagr is gone

Old
07-03-2008, 09:02 AM
fIREnIcE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
also, Gomez's statement is interesting, and that apparently Drury agrees with it is interesting also. Was there friction between Gomez, Drury and Jagr? I don't remember Gomez talking about how he should shoulder some blame for not meshing with Jagr, as he's doing in the event he doesn't mesh with Zherdev. I like to hear someone take charge - that's nice, but to say that's what he wanted all along (and basically saying thank goodness he's (Jagr) gone is interesting).
i gotta say gomer has got to learn to keep his yapper shut unless he wantsthis to be his team, he had the same problem with the devils.....i dont like it, let the management speak, your job is to play. Maybe you disagree, sorryi know this is your team but I have respect for the guy I would want to be sent out the righy way!

fIREnIcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:03 AM
hockeyaddict101

Edmonton has only offered a one year deal

According to Dan Barnes of the Edmonton Journal.

This may change but that is what is reported this morning and that makes Edmonton a long shot as you are all aware he is looking for more.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:06 AM
fIREnIcE

that sucks as a devils fan i really have grown to hate him and i used to love him. Shows he was a true ranger....sorry guys in all seriousnesss we know what is likr to lose someone special.....his name was scott kinda feels the same for me for you, weird empathy for the rangers

Old
07-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Nemchinov13

I want Jagr on this team. It seems like a foregone conclusion that Zherdev and Gomer will make up one scoring line and Dubinsky-Jagr would make up another. Drury with a skilled player like Prucha may provide tertiary scoring option. Zherdev would not have to carry the full brunt of facing top defensive pairings with top checking units... At the same time if Jagr is signed to 2 years, we may catch Cherepanov w/Jagr sighting, as Cherep's contract with Avangard expires after the upcoming season.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:09 AM
fIREnIcE

Quote:
I like the direction (which is at least a different direction). I'm not at all upset over losing Tyutin and am not complaining about the return. I think they're creating a younger and faster team for starters. They should be able to move the puck better too. But, is this team a lot softer than it was last season among the top 6 and top 4?At least with Jagr he gave linemate space and could wear down defensemen. That's an element still missing. It's a work in progress and it will be interesting seeing a more final piece. I think this team still loses to last year's team though and they currently are not in the top 8.
i apologize i didnt notice that dury said domething as well....even worse for you guys, it must be true

Old
07-03-2008, 09:10 AM
NJrocket24

It' time to turn the page. This team has lacked leadership his entire tenure and I think it all rolls down from him. If he's not going to go 100% during the season there is really no use for him. His production is great, and he still draws the double team, but the rangers cannot rely on that forever. 1 maybe 2 years left until he becomes Shanny part II. I think its time to move on a make the team as follows 4 Fast lines we can just roll, hard fore-checking and stingy D and Goaltending. Not necessarily a skill team right now.

As a purely sentimental note, it is really sad to watch him sometimes. He used to be a DOMINANT FORCE, speed, strength, size, hands, shot, passing, everything. Now he just kind of lays off to the outside most of the time. You see flashes of it sometimes, but not very often.

Old Yeller scenario.

NJrocket24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Kostik

I think Jagr would be obvious and best choice to fill in top6, but after i've read comments from Gomer and Drury, i almost wish Jagr signs elsewhere - Pit or Mon.
Just to see how Gomer and Drury would perform and to see how Jags would do.

BTW, anyone who suggest Demitra for 5m$ and is freaking out about Jagr for 7m$ should get chance to get their opinion revoked.

Rangers needs to sign one vet d-man(Kalinin, Berard?). They need 1-2 top6 wingers as well, but i don't like anyone remaining on free market. Naslund?Demitra?Give me a break.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:16 AM
gmanwrx

the rangers as a team will do fine without jj..

u cant say Zherdev is going to fill the shoe of jj.

it is stupid as saying jj filling the shoes of mess. i mean come-on

Zherdev with gomes,drury & the youngster will produce.. have some faith.

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:22 AM
NY Ranger86

everyone take it easy. lets give slats some credit, he can't lose straka, shannahan, avery AND JAGR!!!!!!!

all we need is JAGR SIGNED and WE HAVE A TEAM THAT CAN GO PLACES!

If not, Who's our top O? Gomez? oh jesus.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:26 AM
dave_no

interview with his confidante Luboš Rys from today:

Quote:
Jagr travel overseas to personally negotiate with the manager Satherem, but it was probably unnecessary attempt. "Always hoped that this could come out," approached his confidante Lubos Rys.

Now let him command believe that agrees with another team. "Since the NHL is the best course for him. Too big a chance to but not give."

Interest in the Czech star showed Edmonton. "There would not go under me, there is a terrible winter. When we talk together, which would play, he spoke of Toronto. And he admires the game Detroit," describes his confidante.

"Detroit, however, on Wednesday acquired the Slovak Marián Hossa," argued.

"There should be a chance to win the Stanley Cup. But in the Pittsburghu. There would not be bad, do not you think?"

"It was not. There would have been around for the best," answer.

"This, therefore, yes. Jarda In addition, there is still the house. This is also one of the things that could play a role," says Rys.
link, from czech news site (in czech)...

sorry for the bad translation, helped me google...

dave_no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:28 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
+1 It's all about context. Send me a tape with the quote and then I'll decide how I feel about it.
No matter the context, I think Gomez showed a distinct lack of class with his comments.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:29 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's not any one of their jobs to replace Jagr's production (which has been steadily declining). It's the team's job to.

Good this team might be without a legit superstar for the first time in a decade and Ranger fan's are in a panic.

As far as saying something and then doing something, I give you exibit A, Jaromir Jagr.

Agreed.

This is a new turn of the page. Its not Jagrs team anymore. It wasn't suppose to be with them aquiring Drury and Gomez.

With Jagr, sure he was dominant, he was also a 1 man team. Hopefilly we will play as a team. There is no "I" in team.

Just my feelings.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:30 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
According to Dan Barnes of the Edmonton Journal.

This may change but that is what is reported this morning and that makes Edmonton a long shot as you are all aware he is looking for more.
I would assume that the presumtive Mrs. Jagr won't be thrilled with relocating to Edmonton. Not a lot of modeling gigs there.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:36 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

He wont sign with a non contender. It wont happen.

Which teams that are contenders have the need and the cap for Jaromir Jagr?

Montreal
Pittsburgh
San Jose
NYR

Lots of models fashion gigs in Montreal....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:37 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I like the direction (which is at least a different direction). I'm not at all upset over losing Tyutin and am not complaining about the return. I think they're creating a younger and faster team for starters. They should be able to move the puck better too. But, is this team a lot softer than it was last season among the top 6 and top 4?At least with Jagr he gave linemate space and could wear down defensemen. That's an element still missing. It's a work in progress and it will be interesting seeing a more final piece. I think this team still loses to last year's team though and they currently are not in the top 8.
I like Tyutin but you have to use you assets to improve your time.

I'm not ready to say they're softer. We'll have to see. They should be a lot tougher on the whole however.

Again, I think if you are looking for one player to replace what Jagr did, you might be disappointed. But as a whole if this team is faster and more aggressive on the forecheck, that should wear down defensemen as well.

07-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Forever Blue

Good. It's time to move on. Younger, faster, easier to create chemistry without having to feed the offense through one player.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Kostik

Meh, that Google translation really sucks

just some points from that interview...
-JJ doesn't belive he will be back
-he is not happy that Sather is not counting with him as with go-to guy, he still thinks he can do it
-Sather's final offer was 1year/6m$
-he is not happy that he was not Sather's choice #1,#2,#3...but he admits that its just business...he feels that is not needed
-Pittsburgh showed some interest
-JJ was talking about Toronto and Detroit, he adores Detroit's play and likes Toronto club
-JJ's friends are assuming that he will sign with Omsk - because Omsk "showed JJ some love", and would be go-to guy.

Personally, i think JJ is pissed off that he was not one of the re-sign priporities for Rangers. He is that kind of guy who needs to know that there is some interested in him - he now feels that is not wanted much.

Old
07-03-2008, 09:45 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
No matter the context, I think Gomez showed a distinct lack of class with his comments.
Really, so abev's point is totally lost on you?

Originally Posted by abev
What if the question was, "Scott, could you talk about what the team will be like if Jagr does not come back?"

And what if his quote ended with "...but i really want JJ back." and that part is cut by the writer.

Think what you want, but it's not like this author hasn't stretched the truth or over hyped a situation to try to whip up people's emotions.

Case in point: the $35mil offer wasn't really that much, JJ said as much to another reporter.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:47 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
-JJ's friends are assuming that he will sign with Omsk - because Omsk "showed JJ some love", and would be go-to guy.
With the money to boot, no doubt.

If his "top priority" is to stay in New York and "win a Stanley Cup here" he'd take the 6M for one year. It's a very fair offer off of what Hossa got.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:51 AM
prucha0708*

Eklund says he has news upcoming on jagr but we all know how reliable he is

prucha0708* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:55 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
Really, so abev's point is totally lost on you?

Originally Posted by abev
What if the question was, "Scott, could you talk about what the team will be like if Jagr does not come back?"

And what if his quote ended with "...but i really want JJ back." and that part is cut by the writer.

Think what you want, but it's not like this author hasn't stretched the truth or over hyped a situation to try to whip up people's emotions.

Case in point: the $35mil offer wasn't really that much, JJ said as much to another reporter.
Abev's point was not lost on me. You can assume whatever scenario you'd like to hypothesize about. To me, it is a classless statement no matter the context, as I have previously stated here.

I still believe the way I do no matter how you or anyone else tries to frame it at its best possible level. It is a classless stement, if true, and I haven't heard anyone say it isn't true as of yet. That is my opinion and nothing you or Abev or anyone else writes is going to change my mind about this.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Fletch

Singn'..

I don't disagree.This team could've tried for that on person or tried to build a real team. I'm for the latter (but of course both teams in the finals had muliple 'stars'). I just think this team has a ways to go, and that Sather ain't done just yet. It does need to replace Avery's 18 minutes of agitating somehow and Toots' hipchecks. I never thought of Toots being physical (and was shocked to see his hit totals), but with Redden essentially his replacement, the defense got softer, and the forwards are softer (and do lack size and a bit of grit on the top six). While size and grit aren't absolutely needed, I think it adds something, especially when you do not have a Crosby and a Malkin or even a Jagr or Zetterberg or Datsyuk to compensate for that (although there is some grit there)..

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
With the money to boot, no doubt.

If his "top priority" is to stay in New York and "win a Stanley Cup here" he'd take the 6M for one year. It's a very fair offer off of what Hossa got.
In Omsk case, is not that about the money.
Omsk offered 7m$ per for 3 years(before taxes).
Thing is, that Omsk GM is pursuing JJ for like a year, and is spending lot of his time to express his interested in JJ...

However, i agree that he should take 6m$ offer...it's not bad deal.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:00 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I don't disagree.This team could've tried for that on person or tried to build a real team. I'm for the latter (but of course both teams in the finals had muliple 'stars'). I just think this team has a ways to go, and that Sather ain't done just yet. It does need to replace Avery's 18 minutes of agitating somehow and Toots' hipchecks. I never thought of Toots being physical (and was shocked to see his hit totals), but with Redden essentially his replacement, the defense got softer, and the forwards are softer (and do lack size and a bit of grit on the top six). While size and grit aren't absolutely needed, I think it adds something, especially when you do not have a Crosby and a Malkin or even a Jagr or Zetterberg or Datsyuk to compensate for that (although there is some grit there)..
Sather's probably not done. I also think it's going to take time. This team might very well take a step back this season. And I think it probably will.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:02 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
In Omsk case, is not that about the money.
Omsk offered 7m$ per for 3 years(before taxes).
Thing is, that Omsk GM is pursuing JJ for like a year, and is spending lot of his time to express his interested in JJ...

However, i agree that he should take 6m$ offer...it's not bad deal.
I'm sure Jagr likes to be wooed. That said, the money is still there.

15M more than the Ranger offer, assuming the 1 year 6M is accurate.