HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

One More Top-6 Forward? Why not Fedorov?

Old
07-03-2008, 05:48 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
One More Top-6 Forward? Why not Fedorov?

Call me crazy, but I think Sergei Federov would be a great fit for the Rangers, assuming he took $2-3 million for one year, certainly no more than two.

For one, the team still needs another top-six forward, and Slats made it clear today that he was planning on getting one. Since it's looking less and less likely that Jagr is coming back, and the Sundin saga is far from over, who are the options out there?

Another year of Grandpa Shanny? Markus Naslund? Pavol Demitra? Meh. Yeah, they're good for 50-55 points. Sure, Feds probably won't get that, but he's good for 40, and he's a far better defensive player than those guys. He's still excellent defensively. Renney would love this guy.

He was very effective for the Capitals. He seemed reinvigorated after what must have been trying times in Anaheim and Columbus. I think he played almost as big a part in the Caps' run to the playoffs as Huet.

But that's not the only reason I want him. He'd also be good for Zherdev.

Zherdev likes Federov (from what I understand) and knows him from their time in Columbus. He'd be a good way to ease Zherdev into a potentially difficult situation with a team like the Rangers where he may feel some pressure. Plus, there probably won't be any other Russians on the team this year, and Zherdev's English isn't great. He'd also be a good influence on the other Russian players. Admittedly, I don't know how much time they'd get to spend around him, but surely Anisimov, Cherepanov and Grachev could gain some valuable insight from a guy like Feds.

Now I know what you'll say, we have too many centers as it is. Well, I doubt he'd have a problem playing wing at this stage in his career. Heck, the guy suits up as a defenseman sometimes. Besides, weren't they thinking of moving Drury or Dubinsky to wing anyway? Dubinsky's style of play is more suited for wing, anyway. He's much more of an operator along the boards than a playmaker.

Waddya think?

Sorry for the long post, by the way.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:23 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
He's basically a 3rd line center these days, certainly not a top 6 forward. We need scoring on the wings, not a 2 way pivot.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:23 AM
KenAF

Fedorov made it very clear what he wants last season.

Fedorov wants a coach and a system that allows the players the freedom to use hockey sense (if they have it) in the right situations. He does not want to play in a rigid system that enforces certain rules on players, such as "you must always dump the puck in at even strength." If he sees a odd-man-rush opportunity, he wants the freedom to pursue it.

Finally, Fedorov has made it clear that he wants the chance to be an impact player, which can be on offense, defense, or both. He wants the opportunity to play on either the PP or the PK. And he wants to play at least 16-18min a game.

Fedorov did a great job last season at helping Semin and Backstrom with their positioning on the ice, both offensively and defensively. He was regularly seen on the ice talking to younger players and making suggestions during practice. He seemed to enjoy that role, so he would probably like to go to a team that will let him be more hands-on with younger players.

Last edited by KenAF: 07-03-2008 at 07:50 AM.
KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post

Fedorov wants a coach and a system that allows the players the freedom to use hockey sense (if they have it) in the right situations. He does not want to play in a rigid system that enforces certain rules on players, such as "you must always dump the puck in at even strength." If he sees a odd-man-rush opportunity, he wants the freedom to pursue it.

Finally, Fedorov wants the chance to be an impact player, which can be on offense, defense, or both. He wants regular play time on the PK or the PP. And he wants to play at least 16-18min a game.

Fedorov did a great job last season on helping Semin and Backstrom with their positioning on the ice, both offensively and defensively. He seemed to enjoy that role, so he would probably like to go to a team that will let him be more hands-on with younger players.
If that's the case, then he wouldn't really like Renney's 5 men in the box system.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:32 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
He's basically a 3rd line center these days, certainly not a top 6 forward. We need scoring on the wings, not a 2 way pivot.
Like I said, unless we get Jagr or Sundin, or pull off another big trade, the options are limited. He's actually one of the best ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post

Finally, Fedorov has made it clear that he wants an chance to be an impact player, which can be on offense, defense, or both. He wants the opportunity to play on either the PP or the PK. And he wants to play at least 16-18min a game.
I don't have a problem with the second part of what you said, because I feel he's still capable of that. I'd certainly put him on the PK, as he's a tremendous defensive player, and on the PP, where his talent and creativity can still be effective.

As for the first part, that I don't have an answer for. I know he wasn't a big fan of Hitchcock's system, but I know Hitch is very, very strict. I didn't know Feds was so adamant about that, however. Has he been quoted saying this?

I will say, though, that if he cares about winning, I don't know how many teams there are out there that meet these alleged demands while having a need for a guy like him.

Hell, I actually think he should just stay in D.C., but if he doesn't, I don't think the Rangers are such a bad option for him, and vice versa.

Old
07-03-2008, 07:35 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Have you seen Federov lately? With all due respect you put great praise on his 2-way game, and that game has disappeared, this isn't mid-90's Federov. He's a one-way player now and that's defense and I find it hard to believe he could still grab 50 points.

In no way am I in favor of bringing in Federov, or any 35+ year old player that's going to slow this team down. Not now, anyway.

Last edited by RMcDonagh: 07-03-2008 at 09:07 AM.
RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:37 AM
KenAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
As for the first part, that I don't have an answer for. I know he wasn't a big fan of Hitchcock's system, but I know Hitch is very, very strict. I didn't know Feds was so adamant about that, however. Has he been quoted saying this?

I will say, though, that if he cares about winning, I don't know how many teams there are out there that meet these alleged demands while having a need for a guy like him.
Fedorov said many times that the rigidity of the Columbus system "sucked the life out of me." But #1 priority for him is the chance to be an impact player. He really liked that Boudreau gave him playing time on the PK when the game was on the line. He had a ~60% winning percentage on PK faceoffs last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
Have you seen Federov lately? With all due respect you put great praise on his 2-way game, and that game has disappeared, this isn't mid-90's Federov. He's a one-way player now and that's offense and I find it hard to believe he could still grab 50 points.
You must mean defense because he was far better defensively for the Caps than he was on offense. He routinely covered for the mistakes of younger players. He played as a defenseman in several games where a Caps defenseman was injured during the game.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:01 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Have you seen Federov lately? With all due respect you put great praise on his 2-way game, and that game has disappeared, this isn't mid-90's Federov. He's a one-way player now and that's offense and I find it hard to believe he could still grab 50 points.

In no way am I in favor of bringing in Federov, or any 35+ year old player that's going to slow this team down. Not now, anyway.
I have seen him play. If any part of his game has disappeared, it's his offense. He's still a great defensive player. Maybe not what he once was, but he's still one of the best forwards in the league in that regard.

As for points, like I said, he'll put up 40-45, that's what he's done the last three years.

Old
07-03-2008, 08:27 AM
shoothepuck

If Jagr bolts, stay with the under 30 crowd.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:48 AM
txpd

Two things quickly.

If he were to sign a $2m-$3m contract it would be with Washington. The Caps have said Fedorov is asking for 2 years at $4m and the Caps are more comfortable with $2m. They hope to meet somewhere in the middle.

Secondly, Fedorov might well have been misused in Columbus or just unmotivated anymore, but the Fedorov that played in Washington was completely different. It was a combination of the style of play that Boudreau employed and the respect and responsibility given Fedorov by Boudreau.

In short he was the best defensive forward the Caps had down the stretch and in the playoffs. His face off % was 60 something. He was on the ice in every crucial defensive situation. He was also on the ice in most crucial offensive situations as well.

As for his offense, I think he would put up a bit more in Washington's attacking system than in a defense first trap like Columbus. But I think you are right about the fade being in his offense. From what I saw, his shot is off. His playmaking seems to be there, but the goalie gets his good scoring chances more than in the past.

He delivered. Take that for what its worth.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:07 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I have seen him play. If any part of his game has disappeared, it's his offense. He's still a great defensive player. Maybe not what he once was, but he's still one of the best forwards in the league in that regard.

As for points, like I said, he'll put up 40-45, that's what he's done the last three years.
Yeah, I meant defense, sorry.

Old
07-03-2008, 09:13 AM
azrok22

Don't really like anyone left as far as UFAs go to round out the top 6.

I hope we trade for another top 6 winger. Sather doesn't make a trade unless he's bending the other team over, therefore, another trade means we win! Think we could pry Wojtek Wolski (he's a RFA) out of Colorado?'

Edit: Nevermind, Wolski resigned for 2 years last night. My thought remains tho, turn some of our third liners into a second liner!

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:25 AM
NY Ranger86

hmm Federov or Jagr?

JAGR....SIGN HIM AND LETS WIN THE CUP!!!!!!!

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:26 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Vermette!!!!!

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Mason530

Is he 39 turning 40? From what I understand that Zherdev + Feddy didn't work in Ohio. Don't think would work here, this case he would be, what??, 3rd line, 4th line???? Our forwords would do the job at half the price. If NYR want another 40 year old, I rahter want Shanny. I don't want him either. Time to get younger. If NYR signed Jagr, he should the only one over 35.

Mason530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Just say 'no' to old men offering you treats.

Dubinsky, Prucha, Sauer + 1st 09
for
Cheechoo, Murray

Dawes - Gomez - Cheechoo
Zherdev - Drury - Fritsche
Korpikoski - Anisimov - Callahan
Sjostrom - Betts - Voros/Orr

Redden - Rozy
Staal - Girardi
Murray - Potter
Struds

Hank
Vally

Boom. Done.

Don't care if you'd rather keep Dubinsky. Don't care how deep the draft is. Keep it to yourself.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:38 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Watched Fedorov every game after he came over to Washington. There's not much left there. He'd be an absolute last resort for me. We need offense, and he's not going to bring much of that to the table.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:39 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Just say 'no' to old men offering you treats.

Dubinsky, Prucha, Sauer + 1st 09
for
Cheechoo, Murray

Dawes - Gomez - Cheechoo
Zherdev - Drury - Fritsche
Korpikoski - Anisimov - Callahan
Sjostrom - Betts - Voros/Orr

Redden - Rozy
Staal - Girardi
Murray - Potter
Struds

Hank
Vally

Boom. Done.

Don't care if you'd rather keep Dubinsky. Don't care how deep the draft is. Keep it to yourself.
Wow, dude, that's massive overpayment. Dubinsky, Prucha, and Sauer AND a 1st for Cheechoo and Murray?

Remove Dubinsky and it's a fair deal, ****.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:40 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Pass on Feds.

07-03-2008, 10:44 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Wow, dude, that's massive overpayment. Dubinsky, Prucha, and Sauer AND a 1st for Cheechoo and Murray?

Still think it is a bad deal for us.

Keep the 1st and Dubinsky.

Give them Callahan and one of Hillier, Zaborsky, or Byers.

Take Setoguchi instead of Cheechoo.

Call that a deal.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Here's what is left to choose from in my estimation, please let me know if any of these guys signed and I missed it:

UFA

Pavol Demitra
Mats Sundin
Jaromir Jagr
Markus Naslund
Sergei Brylin
Ruslan Fedotenko

RFA

Antoine Vermette
Steve Bernier
Marek Svatos
Val Filppula
Pat O'Sullivan
Ryan Clowe

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

So you think San Jose is going to give up their best goal scoring winger, and their hardest hitting d-man, for an underwhelming Prucha, oft-injured Sauer and a maybe?

Even WITH Dubinsky it's probably still not enough on our end. I swear that kid is the most over-valued player on this board.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:56 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
So you think San Jose is going to give up their best goal scoring winger, and their hardest hitting d-man, for an underwhelming Prucha, oft-injured Sauer and a maybe?

Even WITH Dubinsky it's probably still not enough on our end. I swear that kid is the most over-valued player on this board.
No, because Cheechoo isn't there best goal scorer by any right. At least not in this point of his career. Cheechoo is a second-tier version of Petr Prucha. Someone who used to score but is having trouble now. Declining players don't warrant future 2nd line Centers for them.

Murray is a hard hitting d-man but there's a reason he'd be (and is) a third pairing guy on most teams excluding SJ. He isn't that valuable.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Mason530

Quote:

He might be overrated (which I am not sure) but it might also mean someone out there rated him very high. If that is really the case, should trade him now for something good.

The proposed line up is not bad at all. The idea is definitely worth to be tinkered.

Mason530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
No, because Cheechoo isn't there best goal scorer by any right. At least not in this point of his career. Cheechoo is a second-tier version of Petr Prucha. Someone who used to score but is having trouble now. Declining players don't take future 2nd line Centers along with them.

Murray is a hard hitting d-man but there's a reason he'd be (and is) a third pairing guy on most teams excluding SJ. He isn't that valuable.
Isn't their best scoring winger? He scored 1 less goal than Michalek and played 10 fewer games. Not to mention started the season coming off of a double hernia surgery. Sure, his 50+ goal season was probably a fluke, but he's a consistent 30+ goal scorer when he's healthy and he has a great salary to boot.

Murray is a 5/6 d-man, but in case you hadn't noticed, we need 3rd pairing d-men.