HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Sign D Wade Redden 6yr/6.5M

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2008, 10:36 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
i bet if he does good your going to be one of those people that said they called it, that he would re-vamp his career here.
im not saying it as an insult
i was bored and did that

im not trying to say that i dont like the signing or anything

Last edited by BlairBettsBlocks: 07-02-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old
07-02-2008, 10:39 PM
ashleesimpson<3*

Send a message via MSN to ashleesimpson<3* Send a message via Yahoo to ashleesimpson<3*
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
I think Redden at 5 Mill would have been a steal, 6.5 is only a relatively slight overpayment imo. Top pairing defensemen aren't cheap.

Don't get me wrong he still has flashes of his former self, but especially since his mom died his play has dropped. 6.5 mil for a guy who on a normal defensive squad will probably be on the second pairing is ridiculous, he doesnt seem to have as much heart when he's playing anymore. But as I said earlier who knows maybe leaving will do some good, but unless he proves me wrong I'm sticking by my 3 mil max. The worst part is you guys are hoping he'll still be good 6 years from now.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:

Don't get me wrong he still has flashes of his former self, but especially since his mom died his play has dropped. 6.5 mil for a guy who on a normal defensive squad will probably be on the second pairing is ridiculous, he doesnt seem to have as much heart when he's playing anymore. But as I said earlier who knows maybe leaving will do some good, but unless he proves me wrong I'm sticking by my 3 mil max. The worst part is you guys are hoping he'll still be good 6 years from now.
Im sorry but are you lost, you seem to be trolling quite a bit today.

Old
07-03-2008, 12:38 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Out with Cribs, in with ET.
We need a happy Redden, and we'll be good

Old
07-03-2008, 10:49 AM
ashleesimpson<3*

Send a message via MSN to ashleesimpson<3* Send a message via Yahoo to ashleesimpson<3*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
Im sorry but are you lost, you seem to be trolling quite a bit today.
Not really I'm just stating what has been happening to his play as of late.

Old
07-03-2008, 11:02 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleesimpson<3 View Post

Jeff Finger got 3.5 Mill per. Streit, the man without a position, got 4 M a year. Roszival took 5 M a year, and probably could have gotten more. Hainsey, 4 M a year. The only guys who took deals that make Redden's look very bad are guys like Brad Stuart and Orpik (though he is at something like 3.75 a year anyway, and I don't think he was worth more than 4 - 4.5) and those guys took less to stay with Detroit and Pitt respectively.

You're crazy, and so was Ottawa, to think that Redden was ever going to get under 4 Mill a year, and honestly, even under 5 M a year. And if you are just saying his VALUE is 3 Mill a year, I disagree. I still think Redden can be a top pairing dman and so did most NHL teams. Even if he was only a top 4 guy at this point, they tend to cost more than 3 mill a year. You're way off on that number.

6.5 Mill is a good chunk of change, and yes, there is a bit of a gamble here. But I don't think it is a vast overpayment based on the price dictated by the market.

Old
07-03-2008, 11:46 AM
2Leetch_94

Like many have said, it's more so the length than the actual money that bothers me. I'm not in love with the 6.5M yearly tag either but if it was for say, four years, then it's easier to defend.

Six years is a long time for someone who's already 31 and HAS regressed the last couple seasons.

That being said, Redden is still an improvement on defense and should make our team better, but just another gigantic contract to work our cap around.

Old
07-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Leetch_94 View Post
Like many have said, it's more so the length than the actual money that bothers me. I'm not in love with the 6.5M yearly tag either but if it was for say, four years, then it's easier to defend.

Six years is a long time for someone who's already 31 and HAS regressed the last couple seasons.

That being said, Redden is still an improvement on defense and should make our team better, but just another gigantic contract to work our cap around.
You think he can't be traded in 4 years for say, a guy who makes about 3 million a year? Say Edmonton is looking for a veteran Dman 4 years from now - they offer up a lesser guy who's younger, making 3 mil a year, say its Ladislav Smid.

If you think those things don't happen, check the Zhitnik/Coburn deal. Its not impossible if you have a GM who knows what he's doing.

Old
07-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You think he can't be traded in 4 years for say, a guy who makes about 3 million a year? Say Edmonton is looking for a veteran Dman 4 years from now - they offer up a lesser guy who's younger, making 3 mil a year, say its Ladislav Smid.

If you think those things don't happen, check the Zhitnik/Coburn deal. Its not impossible if you have a GM who knows what he's doing.

Does Redden have a no movement clause?

Old
07-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Does Redden have a no movement clause?
Don't know. If we didn't want his services anymore and he was looking to go back to Canada can't see him standing in the way of it.

Old
07-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Nothing has mentioned a NMC/NTC for Redden or Rozy.

Old
07-04-2008, 10:41 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Redden is making $8 million in 08-09

Front load

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/Player...hy.asp?ID=4662

Old
07-04-2008, 10:47 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Redden is making $8 million in 08-09

Front load

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/Player...hy.asp?ID=4662
Easier to deal on the back end, if neccessary.

Old
07-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Fletch

I understand....

a cap hit is determined based on the average of a contract - what happens on front-loaded contracts? Would he still be a $6.5MM cap hit or would it be based on the remainder of the contract? Front-loaded benefits teams with money - I'd love to get next year's money today.

Old
07-04-2008, 12:56 PM
BringBackLibertys

Fletch,

Front loaded is good for us now, and good for small cap teams later. We can pay him more, to get him here today, but stay under cap. In a few years, when his salary for the year is 4 mil, but his cap is 6.5, a small market team will eat him up to get to the floor of the cap and not have to spend like they would on an outright signing. I think you will see lots of people overpaid at the end of UFA just for teams to get to the floor.

Orlando

Old
07-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Orlando-

I think the cap hit of $6.5MM would still transfer to a new team despite only having to actually shell out some percentage of that amount. The advantage of a front-loaded, I believe, comes in the buyout scenario. If Redden's final three years are worth say $12MM of the $39MM, we could buy him out for half that amount while taking half as a cap hit for twice the remaining time left on the contract.

So, half of $12MM is $6MM, we then divide that over 6 years (twice the remaining three years left ont the contract). I'm 75% sure that's how the buyout works.

Old
07-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Unk

Forechecker, I believe the buyout cap hit is the half the remaining salary divided by the number of years the contract is bought not, not the only of years for the original contract.

Closed Thread