HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

We need help help up front(To much help)

Old
07-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Buttonwood
feaster in the groin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
but Hagman @ 3 million would have been affordable... he also plays a style of game that would have fit in well with the team... and he would bring top 6 ability
Hagman was probably one of the better signings of the day, so I agree I would have liked him at that price.

But the example of Hagman proves my point. In 2005-06 he put up 21 points in a full schedule, next year he scored 30 points, then last year he scored 41 (27 goals). Before last year his production was nothing to give $3M to. In fact, that production is similar to the 12 points in 48 games of Dustin Boyd. You need to hope production comes from within sometimes, rather than go out and sign it (while they are going to get maximum $). I'm not saying Boyd will go from a .25 PPG to a .5 PPG, but I think promotion from within (signed to cheap 1st or 2nd contracts) is the key to success around the league. Its a gamble to hope for this development, but a neccessary one I feel. It would easier if we had more confidence in our scouting and drafting, unfortunately.

A legitimate 2nd liner isn't going to fall in our laps via FA this year, I'm afraid.

Buttonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Hyde

Well said makaveli92.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Dions shoulder

I dont see why Sutter needs to bring in any overpaid top six player, he has already boosted the offence of the Flames big time. The bottom six went from 35-40 to 60-70 goals. As for the top six, Tanguay + Huselius = 43 goals. All Cammalleri needs to do is score 13 goals this season and our offence remains the same... which by the way, was good enough for #1 in the NW division.

Cammalleri could get 35+, he got 34 in his only full season, and playing with linemates that got 61 and 71 points. With Iggy and Langkow, he could get 40.

As a team, Calgary is much better right now. We dont need another overpaid forward.

Dions shoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:47 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli92 View Post
Hagman was probably one of the better signings of the day, so I agree I would have liked him at that price.

But the example of Hagman proves my point. In 2005-06 he put up 21 points in a full schedule, next year he scored 30 points, then last year he scored 41 (27 goals). Before last year his production was nothing to give $3M to. In fact, that production is similar to the 12 points in 48 games of Dustin Boyd. You need to hope production comes from within sometimes, rather than go out and sign it (while they are going to get maximum $). I'm not saying Boyd will go from a .25 PPG to a .5 PPG, but I think promotion from within (signed to cheap 1st or 2nd contracts) is the key to success around the league. Its a gamble to hope for this development, but a neccessary one I feel. It would easier if we had more confidence in our scouting and drafting, unfortunately.

A legitimate 2nd liner isn't going to fall in our laps via FA this year, I'm afraid.
I have to agree, while I wouldn't be upset with a signing, so long as it was not a handcuffing contract (I would have taken Tucker for 4.5 over two), I also don't think Calgary has to do it. Its not that the Flames have just amazing kids coming up, they don't, but at some point its worth seeing if they can do something so the team actually has some players outperforming their contracts, that is the one of the keys to a great team afterall.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Dions shoulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli92 View Post

Agreed, I am optimistic about how the young guys will progress. I dont think they will turn heads, but they will chip in and do their part for the team. Boyd will be given more ice time and responsibility, he is an example of a player that will get a boost in offensive output.

Old
07-03-2008, 07:25 AM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dions shoulder View Post
I dont see why Sutter needs to bring in any overpaid top six player, he has already boosted the offence of the Flames big time. The bottom six went from 35-40 to 60-70 goals. As for the top six, Tanguay + Huselius = 43 goals. All Cammalleri needs to do is score 13 goals this season and our offence remains the same... which by the way, was good enough for #1 in the NW division.

Cammalleri could get 35+, he got 34 in his only full season, and playing with linemates that got 61 and 71 points. With Iggy and Langkow, he could get 40.

As a team, Calgary is much better right now. We dont need another overpaid forward.
I absolutely agree with this. You could also add that our blueline should score a few more with Giordano coming in. And we'll allow at least 10 less goals just by being rid of Eriksson.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I like our goaltending, our 1st, 3rd and 4th lines and the defense for the most part. We have elite players but as a group nowhere do we have elite talent on a line or pairing that would rival any other team in the league, and that's fine. The 2nd line is concerning. I do not think we need to sign a Hossa/Sundin type, nor do I feel anyone here wants us to go out and overpay for 2nd line scoring help, but it would be nice to upgrade our 2nd line scoring ability to take the pressure off of Iginla and Phaneuf. Lombardi is a good 2nd line centre and Boyd could be a good 2nd liner as early as this year, but I still think we need an Andrew Brunette type player at a reasonable contract to push this team over the top. If we sign Nolan to a good deal, that's fine but secondary scoring may again become a problem later in the year. And if it does, I expect Sutter to address the issue.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:13 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
I like our goaltending, our 1st, 3rd and 4th lines and the defense for the most part. We have elite players but as a group nowhere do we have elite talent on a line or pairing that would rival any other team in the league, and that's fine. The 2nd line is concerning. I do not think we need to sign a Hossa/Sundin type, nor do I feel anyone here wants us to go out and overpay for 2nd line scoring help, but it would be nice to upgrade our 2nd line scoring ability to take the pressure off of Iginla and Phaneuf. Lombardi is a good 2nd line centre and Boyd could be a good 2nd liner as early as this year, but I still think we need an Andrew Brunette type player at a reasonable contract to push this team over the top. If we sign Nolan to a good deal, that's fine but secondary scoring may again become a problem later in the year. And if it does, I expect Sutter to address the issue.
The thing with Nolan though is he won't dramatically outscore the younger wingers this year. He had 16 last year and most posters here seem to agree that almost all of our younger wingers can score 10 with a bit of luck.

If we need to upgrade our scoring I'm not sure it's such a good thing to have 1.5-2.0 locked up in Nolan. He doesn't bring enough of an upgrade over what we already have imo. Better save that money in the event we do need to add someone.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Dions shoulder

Like perhaps at the trade deadline...