HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

We won't be better last year

Old
07-03-2008, 08:58 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Dude, the work isnt done yet filling out this team...

and its not just about names and numbers.

Going into last season - who do you think would have had a better record -

The Rangers or the Devils?

Enough said.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Long, long way to go before we know what this team truly looks like.

Assuming the Jagr ship has sailed (hes still my #1 choice to sign on the wing), I wouldnt mind Sather looking into Pavol Demitra, as well as Jason Smith to sure up the defense.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
these threads really need to stop popping up

calm down and wait until at least the rangers cap space is all but taken up.
I am perfectly calm. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither were any of the Cup winners.

I am ok with us going only to the second round next year, there's no panic. But neither should we all get upset in November when we are on pace for 90-95 points for the season.

That's what you should expect. Barring phenomenal years from MORE THAN ONE rookie, expecting more than 95 points is unrealistic and calling for Reney's head just because he couldn't get this lineup to win the Cup would be unfair.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I still have a gut feeling that almost certainly either Demitra or JJ will sign.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:28 AM
nyrangers23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
I still have a gut feeling that almost certainly either Demitra or JJ will sign.

i know mostly everyone wants jags back, but i seriously doubt that it will happen. we just need to play like a team, role 4 lines n play good defense.

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post

While there are still holes to fill, I find it hard to believe that you can say plainly that we won't have a better season than last years.
Yes, i CAN say that next year we won't be significantly better. It's possible that we'll be marginally better or worse (probably worse if JJ isn't back), but nothing significant.

July to September is really the most wonderful time of the year for hockey fans. Every team thinks they will be so much better than they will really wind up being.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers23 View Post
i know mostly everyone wants jags back, but i seriously doubt that it will happen. we just need to play like a team, role 4 lines n play good defense.
I wish it were that simple.

We also could use a little something called talent on the wings.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:36 AM
nyrangers23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I wish it were that simple.

We also could use a little something called talent on the wings.
it is that simple. they learn to play as a team. jags was great but we went away from what the rangers needed to do(get younger & faster) when he was here. and i doubt sather is done with getting guys, i expect a trade not a signing very soon.

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:42 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Rangers lost:

Jagr
Mara - No Big Deal
Malik - It's about time
Avery - I truly think it won't make a huge difference
Shanahan - Over the hill
Straka - I'll miss him, but I can't see it making that big of a difference, Zherdev will be much better
Tyutin - Ok, he was good, but there are others coming

So I don't see where the team will be much worse. Losing Jagr will be big, but other than that, I don't see any pieces that left that will really make or break this team.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:45 AM
NYR Viper

i think the rangers have another couple of smaller trades.....one for a #5 defenseman with grit...such as a mcclaren and then are going to go after another scoring winger such as cheechoo or someone like that...not too expensive, young, fast, and gritty

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Blueshirts Blueline

Right now, I don't think this is a playoff team. We're basically counting on Zherdev, as much as I love the trade, to lead this team in scoring which is a huge gamble for us to take. Hopefully, Sather isn't done yet. I still think signing Jagr is a must.

Blueshirts Blueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeds Blue View Post
Right now, I don't think this is a playoff team. We're basically counting on Zherdev, as much as I love the trade, to lead this team in scoring which is a huge gamble for us to take. Hopefully, Sather isn't done yet. I still think signing Jagr is a must.
Zherdev would have led this team in goals last season.

07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeds Blue View Post
We're not looking for Zherdev to lead our team in points, although I think the general consensus is that he's our goal scorer now, and that may be where people will expect him to lead.

However, signing Jagr is not a must. It's beneficiary, but not at the price he wants, not when we're $8M from the cap.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Fletch

With Gomez and Drury as the top scorers...

this team will be looking for Zherdev to possibly lead them in scoring. I still consider Gomez and Drury support guys in terms of points, rather than leaders. While Jagr is not a must, he is someone who could significantly alleviate the pressure off the 23 year old kid to score. But again, this team is not set yet - so let's see what happens.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:23 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Yes, i CAN say that next year we won't be significantly better. It's possible that we'll be marginally better or worse (probably worse if JJ isn't back), but nothing significant.

July to September is really the most wonderful time of the year for hockey fans. Every team thinks they will be so much better than they will really wind up being.
You could have said the same thing about the Giants last year. For 2 straight years they had gotten bounced in the wildcard game and the only significant FA they signed was Kawika Mitchell. They finished 10-6 and at times looked awful, but the rookies started contributing and the defense under 1st year coordinator Spagnulo improved on a weekly basis and they rode the momentum all the way to a championship.

You can say anything you want when it's on paper, but there's a reason why they still play the games. Anything can happen and we won't know until we know. Maybe Dawes has a Gionta-like season playing next to Gomez. Maybe Zherdev plays consistently all year and puts up 80+ points. Maybe both Dubi and Cally build on their rookie seasons and put up more points. Maybe Korpedo wins rookie of the year. Maybe both Sangs and AA are on the team by mid year and contributing.

Or maybe we are just a mediocre team that limps into the playoffs, and Hank stands on his head for 4 rounds and we win the cup. Stranger things have happened.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:35 AM
McDonagh27

Wayyy too early to tell. I'm sure Sather's got something in mind to improve the offense. However, Z should take over for Jags as the top scorer. Shanny's and Straka's production IMO will be offset by Gomez's and Dubi's point increases.. The defensive system Renney has in place will keep us at a playoff level. Plus, when you have the King in net, anything's possible.

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I like how everyone is justifying Jagr's departure as an opportunity to "move along as a team"

Meanwhile, in reality, we are entrusting a large bulk of our scoring for the next few years to 2 enigmatic Russians with work ethic issues.

Old
07-03-2008, 11:44 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
I like how everyone is justifying Jagr's departure as an opportunity to "move along as a team"

Meanwhile, in reality, we are entrusting a large bulk of our scoring for the next few years to 2 enigmatic Russians with work ethic issues.
This is HF, don't make logical conclusions...

From what I've seen of Zherdev, he's got tremendous talent, but like you said, I don't if it's his work ethic, or playing under Hitch... Columbus shouldn't be a stressful town to play in. And for awhile he was starting to come around with Feds, but I think he could do well with a change of scenery, and he could do well in NY, he's still young.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:45 AM
GAGLine

Quote:

What is the alternative? Jagr's production has declined the last 2 years. He might be good for another year or two, but what then? Drury and Gomez aren't getting any younger. At some point we have to trust our young guys to step up.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:52 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Since Jagr was an enigmatic Czech with work ethic issues for 95% of last year, i'm okay with that.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:09 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Who knows what top 6 guys Sather has in the works.

I will say this: We're now a lot, A LOT younger. That's going to help us when, in 4 years, we still have the same core. We may not be as good this year, but we're going to raise the roof soon. There's too much budding talent in this organization not to.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:52 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
Who knows what top 6 guys Sather has in the works.

I will say this: We're now a lot, A LOT younger. That's going to help us when, in 4 years, we still have the same core. We may not be as good this year, but we're going to raise the roof soon. There's too much budding talent in this organization not to.
My fear is that we won't be able to KEEP this young core when guys like Staal are hitting RFA age and guys like Kevin Lowe are emptying our cupboard because we've got too many 7 year deals on the books.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote