HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Glen Healy Onboard for Reducing the Michelin Men

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-28-2008, 12:12 PM
  #26
Hennessy
Blank Space
 
Hennessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Östersund, Sweden
Country: United States
Posts: 6,690
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
If the NHL makes goalie equipment smaller, than what happens in an international game, when a NHL player in smaller equipment plays on say Team Canada who is facing Say Russia; which would have a goalie with larger equipment, would Canada not be at a disadvantage?
The IIHF isn't the NHL. If they don't follow suit, nothing is keeping NHL players in international competitions from wearing larger pads. Not to mention, the Russian goalie would most likely be an NHL player, as well.

It's well past time that the NHL reduced the size of pads. They've become bloated beyond reason. It is telling that as time and technology has gone forward pads have gotten larger, though with the advances made in that time a goalie could be just as well protected as he is now with pads the same size as they were 20 years ago. That we're still having these discussions is frustrating. Just get it done already.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 01:26 PM
  #27
HOF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,460
vCash: 500
It's pretty pathetic how big the equipment has gotten. Everybody says goalies have got way better, which they have, but the equipment sure has helped some of them as well.

HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 01:45 PM
  #28
TorFC-TML*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,247
vCash: 500






I can remember as a kid wondering why lacrosse goalies wore so much more protection than NHL goalies.

TorFC-TML* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 01:52 PM
  #29
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,377
vCash: 500
I have a hypothetical scenario I'd like to throw at you guys just for fun. What if scientists discovered some super thin, highly protective material that essentially allowed them to build a "skin" that goalies (and regular players as well) could wear to protect them from being injured by the puck. This stuff if so good that you could catch a 100 mph slapper with your "bare" hand and not get hurt, so a catching glove wouldn't even be necessary. Would you all be for such a drastic reduction in "pad" size?

My guess is you wouldn't be, so the point I am trying to make is that while most of us seem to agree that the size of goalie padding should be dictated only by its ability to protect the goalie, there is really more to it than that. There is definitely a lower limit that needs to be defined to protect the integrity of the game, and this limit is entirely driven by taking up space, not protecting flesh. Or is it? Anyone have any thoughts?

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 02:03 PM
  #30
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Habitant View Post
Healy is the new 'president of player affairs' or something to that effect with the NHLPA and even he admitted that one of his duties is to shrink the silly gear worn by today's Michelin men.

Anyone think that the gear will finally be brought back to reality?
Gasp! That is the first intelligent thing I have ever heard come from Healy. Maybe it was just television that made him stupid?

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 05:23 PM
  #31
Blikian29
Registered User
 
Blikian29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 1,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Blikian29
Anything to make the NHL steer away from thoughts of making the nets bigger.

Blikian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 06:01 PM
  #32
Volcanologist
Habitual User
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Gasp! That is the first intelligent thing I have ever heard come from Healy. Maybe it was just television that made him stupid?
No, more likely it's safe to suggest reducing goalie equipment now that he's equally safe in the broadcast booth.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 08:09 PM
  #33
Tommy D
Registered User
 
Tommy D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island NY
Country: United States
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Just for you FFF



I played goal up till about 87/88. What I would have given for this "protection" <not to mention a curved stick!> todays goalies employ.

Then again I had that silly red line and those other "silly" parts of the game the NHL chose to delete....

Tommy D

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 08:14 PM
  #34
VelvetJones
Registered User
 
VelvetJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,416
vCash: 500
Grant Fuhr

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 08:46 PM
  #35
Avant-Gardien
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: Canada
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Admittedly, Fuhr's chest/arm unit and leg pads are tiny there, but holy cow look at the size of that blocker!

Avant-Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 08:56 PM
  #36
Flyers Fan Forever
 
Flyers Fan Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,813
vCash: 500
Pelle:


Flyers Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 10:47 PM
  #37
dcinroc
 
dcinroc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
Country: United States
Posts: 515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Fan Forever View Post
Pelle:

Now that's hockey!

RIP Pelle!

dcinroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 05:00 PM
  #38
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar
 
PeterSidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Michigan
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 14,634
vCash: 500




Yup, DAMN that goalie equipment for advancing in the times. Unlike player equipment...........

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 05:39 PM
  #39
John Belushi
Registered User
 
John Belushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 50



Comparing apples and oranges, Peter. Players aren't blocking the net with their gear most of the time. Also, player gear has merely become more streamlined and lighter. I wish the same could happen for goalie gear.

John Belushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 05:48 PM
  #40
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar
 
PeterSidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Michigan
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 14,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Belushi View Post



Comparing apples and oranges, Peter. Players aren't blocking the net with their gear most of the time. Also, player gear has merely become more streamlined and lighter. I wish the same could happen for goalie gear.
Yup, because that larger player protective equipment doesnt make players more fearless when blocking shots that are going to the net. Nope, not at all!

Player gear has become more streamlined and tighter? Pictures say otherwise. What exactly has become more streamlined and tighter in regards to player equipment?

Im just showing the other side of the coin since its so easy on here to point and yell at the goalie equipment. Just pointing out the double standard when it comes to player and goalie equipment. And if you cant admit there IS a double standard, then theres no point in arguing about it.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 05:52 PM
  #41
John Belushi
Registered User
 
John Belushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Yup, because that larger player protective equipment doesnt make players more fearless when blocking shots that are going to the net. Nope, not at all!

Player gear has become more streamlined and tighter? Pictures say otherwise. What exactly has become more streamlined and tighter in regards to player equipment?

Im just showing the other side of the coin since its so easy on here to point and yell at the goalie equipment. You want the goalies to go back to 80s style equipment, then im just suggesting what the players should go back to.

I'm merely saying that modern goalie gear has had a much more profound impact on the game itself then player gear has had. I'll agree that composite sticks, gloves, ect have helped players develop quicker releases but goaltender gear has gone much further than that.

John Belushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 05:57 PM
  #42
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar
 
PeterSidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Michigan
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 14,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Belushi View Post
I'm merely saying that modern goalie gear has had a much more profound impact on the game itself then player gear has had. I'll agree that composite sticks, gloves, ect have helped players develop quicker releases but goaltender gear has gone much further than that.
And in the beginning of this thread I agreed on two points with goalie gear and gave my opinion of what could be changed. Of course as usual no one wants to have an actual discussion regarding goalie gear, rather just continue to yell "goalie gear is too big!"

Another example of the double standard was the NHL deeming overdrive blades illegal, but im sure those thermoblades or whatever theyre called will be welcome with open arms as it involves player skates and not goalie skates.

Thomas Holmstrom, and no, im not knocking him, hes great at he does, is known to put extra padding on himself because of the physical abuse he endures. Yet that is perfectly legal? Then the illegal sticks used is a whole other issue.

Im just pointing out the double standards out there in regards to players and goalies. If you read my first response on this subject, you can see what points I agree with in regards to goalie gear.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:37 PM
  #43
GernerPSU
Registered User
 
GernerPSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: State College
Country: United States
Posts: 4,146
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GernerPSU
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
And in the beginning of this thread I agreed on two points with goalie gear and gave my opinion of what could be changed. Of course as usual no one wants to have an actual discussion regarding goalie gear, rather just continue to yell "goalie gear is too big!"

Another example of the double standard was the NHL deeming overdrive blades illegal, but im sure those thermoblades or whatever theyre called will be welcome with open arms as it involves player skates and not goalie skates.

Thomas Holmstrom, and no, im not knocking him, hes great at he does, is known to put extra padding on himself because of the physical abuse he endures. Yet that is perfectly legal? Then the illegal sticks used is a whole other issue.

Im just pointing out the double standards out there in regards to players and goalies. If you read my first response on this subject, you can see what points I agree with in regards to goalie gear.
You definitely have some significant points. I completely agree with the OD blades. I just don't understand their ban. The biggest difference, I think, is that the goalies pads make a bigger difference in games results and are so visible.

GernerPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:10 PM
  #44
TorFC-TML*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post
I have a hypothetical scenario I'd like to throw at you guys just for fun. What if scientists discovered some super thin, highly protective material that essentially allowed them to build a "skin" that goalies (and regular players as well) could wear to protect them from being injured by the puck. This stuff if so good that you could catch a 100 mph slapper with your "bare" hand and not get hurt, so a catching glove wouldn't even be necessary. Would you all be for such a drastic reduction in "pad" size?

My guess is you wouldn't be, so the point I am trying to make is that while most of us seem to agree that the size of goalie padding should be dictated only by its ability to protect the goalie, there is really more to it than that. There is definitely a lower limit that needs to be defined to protect the integrity of the game, and this limit is entirely driven by taking up space, not protecting flesh. Or is it? Anyone have any thoughts?
Your guess would be wrong. Id be all for it.

TorFC-TML* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.