HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Musing: Speed, stickhandling and who will play with Zherdev?

Old
07-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Olympic nut

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Musing: Speed, stickhandling and who will play with Zherdev?

I was thinking last night about what the Zherdev trade means for the Rangers and their style of play for next season.

First off, the Rangers could become one of the best skating and stickhandling teams in the league: Gomez, Zherdev, Drury all bring a lot of speed to the ice, add to that a guy like Korpikoski, if he makes the team and there is good speed throughout the lineup. Provided Jagr re-signs (which I hope he will), the Rangers will also have a collection of players up and down the lineup who are very good at holding on to the puck and at stickhandling.

All this made me think, though: who is going to center Zherdev? The quick assumption is Gomez, but will they really work well together? They're both guys who like to carry the puck into the attacking zone, who play the best with the puck on their sticks. The difference is that Gomez always looks to pass and Zherdev will shoot more. There is a danger that the two won't work well together the way Gomez and Jagr didn't. Of course, they might click immediately and go on 100-point tears next season, too!

On an aside: is Zherdev Russian or Ukrainian?

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I was thinking last night about what the Zherdev trade means for the Rangers and their style of play for next season.

First off, the Rangers could become one of the best skating and stickhandling teams in the league: Gomez, Zherdev, Drury all bring a lot of speed to the ice, add to that a guy like Korpikoski, if he makes the team and there is good speed throughout the lineup. Provided Jagr re-signs (which I hope he will), the Rangers will also have a collection of players up and down the lineup who are very good at holding on to the puck and at stickhandling.

All this made me think, though: who is going to center Zherdev? The quick assumption is Gomez, but will they really work well together? They're both guys who like to carry the puck into the attacking zone, who play the best with the puck on their sticks. The difference is that Gomez always looks to pass and Zherdev will shoot more. There is a danger that the two won't work well together the way Gomez and Jagr didn't. Of course, they might click immediately and go on 100-point tears next season, too!

Zherdev is Ukranian, for starters.

However... I think your wrong about Gomez. Your right about the part of them liking to carry it in, but I don't think Gomez is a puck possession player once inside the offensive zone. All Gomer does is dish it off quickly. Hopefully they do workout, though.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:57 AM
NYRMatt

Send a message via AIM to NYRMatt Send a message via MSN to NYRMatt
Quote:
Ukrainian. However, he currently holds Russian citizenship.

But really, I think Gomez and Zherdev could mesh fairly well.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Forever Blue

Gomez can work well with anyone as long as they can keep up with him. Jagr wasn't a good fit because he didn't have that speed, and had a more meticulous approach. Zherdev can skate with Gomez. They will work well together.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:00 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

This shouldn't be up for discussion, it's a gimmie. Gomez and Zherdev together should make every Ranger fan change their pants every now and then until the season starts.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:09 PM
gmanwrx

dawes, drury,Zherdev

dont remember if he is r or l winger.

if not

Zherdev, drury, cally

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:18 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanwrx View Post
dawes, drury,Zherdev

dont remember if he is r or l winger.

if not

Zherdev, drury, cally
Dawes Gomez Zherdev

Would probably be best. Gomez and Zherdev could end up working very well together... We'll see on the left winger.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Evgeny Oliker

there is no way that Drury can keep up with Zherdev, none.

Gomez is the clear choice. In fact, I will go as far as saying that the Rangers got Zherdev with Gomez in mind...since Gomez did not mesh well with anyone last year really. It is a very logical decision to make. If you watch video of Zherdev, he doesnt just carry the puck all the time, he also loves to set up for a one-timer. That is where Gomez comes in...Gomez is great at entering the zone with speed and the dishing you the puck for a one-timer. Gomez is also one of the few guys who can keep up with Zherdev...Drury can't.

As for Gomez and Zherdev both liking to carry the puck, that wont be an issue. Fedorov played with Zherdev and they meshed, and Fedorov loves to carry the puck and then dish, just like Gomez. I just think Zherdev needed someone a bit faster than Fedorov...so Gomez should be a great pick.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:20 PM
wa2k99

THrow in a somewhat physical left winger and that is a great line. Great line.

wa2k99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

I know everyone is thinking Gomez, but I gotta say, I'm not 100% sure they're a fit. I think Zherdev is a long-term move that the Rangers hope will fit on the wing with Anisimov and Cherepanov.

I still think we're in the market for another top-six winger that is a true sniper, and not so much of a puck carrier.

Dawes - Gomez - Winger X
Zherdev - Drury - Anisimov

Drury has shown a lot of success playing with shifty, speedy wingers of the European variety. Zherdev would have another Russian speaking player on his line and Drury provides the glue with some of the best veteran leadership you'll find.

Gomez seems like he should have a guy like Gionta to really excel. A guy that plays the same end to end style, but likes to find some open ice and one-time the pass. That's just my opinion though.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Avy*

Zherdezz is russian ethnically, lived and trained in Russia since 14.

Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
As for Gomez and Zherdev both liking to carry the puck, that wont be an issue. Fedorov played with Zherdev and they meshed, and Fedorov loves to carry the puck and then dish, just like Gomez. I just think Zherdev needed someone a bit faster than Fedorov...so Gomez should be a great pick.
That is spot on.

Zherdev doesn't have any problems passing to players on the rush as long as he knows they can handle it. Hell, at the beginning of last season, he and Novotny had some great chemistry (before Novotny basically disappeared for the rest of the season), and it was a toss-up over which would eventually have the puck entering the offensive zone, because they traded it off so much.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote